Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 9, 2010 10:36 AM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Honstley I didn't quite understand this episode, I did enjoy the scenes with Lafiiel and Jinto though.
Aug 17, 2010 2:53 AM

Mar 2009
As far as political and militant movements go, this episode was very straightforward and clear. Maybe I've just been watching too much hard scifi.

Those commanders/admirals/whatever-the-hell-their-ranks-are Abh are so amusing. I think I'm starting to understand the Abh, too. Humans evolved to survive mostly autonomously but for small communities and their children, so large scale governments tend to be flawed. The Abh, however, were originally designed and have been raised with the aim of continuing their culture and civilization as a whole(with the aim of space exploration). Hence the actions of individual Abh are irrational to a normal human's mindset.
When the Empress declared war based on the assumption that no Abh would have attacked another nation without reason, it was like assuming a finger wouldn't react contrary to the messages the brain sends unless something was wrong. That's kind of what my reasoning for Abh behavior is.
Nov 8, 2011 10:08 AM

Jul 2009
The Abh have an interesting view on the current situation.
'Everything is impossible until proven possible.' - Me

Mar 24, 2013 10:22 PM

Jul 2008
The Abh culture makes for interesting situations, especially with Jinto.
Nov 15, 2013 4:04 PM

Nov 2009
So the people who are taking Jinto and Rafiel hostages know that Rafiel is nobility?

Also, it's been bugging me for awhile now, but why does she consider Jinto to be an Abh, I thought the Abh wouldn't consider normal humans to be Abh. Surely they could be part of the empire, but I thought they distinguished themselves as not being human, otherwise what is the point of blue hair, long ears, long life, and wires coming out of their heads?
Feb 16, 2014 3:02 AM

Aug 2013
How did they know Lafiel is nobility? O__o
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 16, 2014 12:24 AM

Apr 2012
The "chambermaid" barged into their room and saw a glimpse of Lafiel's elf ears. I think that was why she thought she was nobility. Jinto was acting suspicious as hell too lol. Wasn't there a notice out for their arrest as well?

Jan 16, 2016 7:24 AM

Jun 2009
man, i fucking love lafiel.
loghneckbeardJan 16, 2016 7:41 AM
Feb 16, 2016 5:12 PM

Nov 2011
I really love the opening narrations. They add so much flavor to the setting.

To clear up the question, I believe the Abh still consider themselves human (or at the very least human in origin). Every Abh born is fundamentally human-- it is just that the fertilized eggs are genetically modified to produce the blue hair, longer lifespan, and the additional unused nerves that exit at their foreheads (which is what they use for their cybernetic links to ships). How much of this would carry over if the eggs weren't genetically modified is up in the air, but I don't think that's enough to say they aren't human.

In this sense, accepting a non-genetically modified human (Terran) as an Abh is little different than being integrated into and accepted within another culture. If someone has willingly integrated into the culture, they are an Abh. It is only certain Terrans that consider Abhs and Terrans as fundamentally different-- not unlike how racism considers various peoples as fundamentally different based on certain physical qualities.

As far as cultural differences go, it is similar to what senerikfred noted above. The Abh culture raises their children to value the survival and prospering of their people as a whole over their individual life and feelings. Because of this, they often seem arrogant, reckless, or uncaring when this is not the case. Individuality certainly isn't eradicated, but it is subdued in a way that often prevents Abhs from acting on their emotions even when it may be appropriate to do so by non-Abh standards. It also brings into question how deep relationships between Abhs tend to grow. It seems that most Abh parents do not raise their children together, for example, and how close friends can be may also be limited (although on the latter I admit we do have potentially biased information to go on since Lafiel is royalty). Because of this, Jinto's perceptions are as foreign to Lafiel as Lafiel's are to Jinto, and it's taking them longer to feel out the nature of their relationship than it might between two of the same culture.

In any case, they're coming to understand each other well. Both cultures have their strengths and weaknesses.
Oct 23, 2017 4:19 PM

Feb 2013
So now they are pretending to be hostages.
LOL at the introductions.

So we have an arrogant idiot in charge of the fleet. And then we have a psycho woman taking point... at least she's more fun. I can see the battle going either way at this point.
Aug 12, 2023 2:33 PM

Dec 2022
Those guns the Lune Vega police were using looked like toy props, even for tranquilizer guns. Jinto broke them in half without even intending to. Very unique "hostage situation" in the works as well.

Shaded Horizon

More topics from this board

» Pointless and unnecessary discussion on ultranegative reviews

Rastrelly - Dec 15, 2022

14 by Rastrelly »»
Apr 1, 6:56 AM

» Political Confusion

Xaeveax - Jun 18, 2021

4 by 0063873192871 »»
Mar 25, 2:38 PM

Poll: » Seikai no Monshou Episode 13 Discussion

jacobpaige - May 17, 2008

47 by Dreadogastus_F »»
Mar 11, 7:57 PM

Poll: » Seikai no Monshou Episode 6 Discussion

Veethorn - Jun 8, 2010

17 by Dreadogastus_F »»
Feb 22, 9:01 PM

Poll: » Seikai no Monshou Episode 5 Discussion

wakka9ca - Mar 18, 2010

30 by Dreadogastus_F »»
Dec 8, 2023 4:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.