Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 6, 2010 1:58 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Brilliant manga, hilariously witty and satirical with some thought-provoking scenarios explored. Love this author.
BeatnikMay 26, 2014 1:56 PM
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jun 14, 2010 7:32 PM

Sep 2008
loved it also.. I wish they would have shown him owning the public security and the guards.. but I guess the mangaka just wanted to finish it :(

Also did the whole thing ever happen, or was it all in his mind about predicting the future.. It almost seemed like the ending could be a conversation with himself and that it hasn't happened, or not yet.
Jun 15, 2010 12:21 AM

Jan 2008
It could have been pretty cool if that last shot is us seeing a flashback to the beginning, and that the lady was nothing but a figment of his imagination (well, his memory being that she actually existed), it would have shown that her rape had affected him deeply whether he knew it or not.

But we see scenes of her throughout the story without him present, so there goes that theory!
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 4, 2010 8:31 PM

Aug 2008
My godness... What a Manga! Really makes you wonder and think what really happened in the end... But one thing is certain... Tanaka had something to do with the Reform of the Vengance Act... actiong so cool and not so worried after being target by a Vengance Act Enforcement is not a "normal" person behavior

The talk Kano had with the old Ghost Man was nice as well... but I preffered much more the monologue of the last to chapters... Kano could be saying such words... but in a way Matsumoto-sensei could easily being the one saying them... Like he really means to communicate that... That that's the way he thinks about the World... so... pff... such a deep manga... One that I really enjoyed since it's a complete oddball... I'm happy that the manga ended in a happy mood for Kano... Wonder how come he escaped from the tight spot he was in.... And Tanaka.... Oh poor Yo-ko.... well whatever... it's already the end kekeke

A solid 8/10 manga for me... the Art really threw me off-balance at the beginning... but definitely after stomaching it a bit I dun mind... yet that's why I took off those two point from the perfect ten hehehe

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 20, 2012 4:50 PM

Mar 2010
This was the craziest manga I have ever read. @_@ I am really glad I read this to the end. Sometime it was a little confusing, I have to read certain parts a few times to tell what was real and what was not. The art is not that bad at all, it's pretty detailed if you notice the little things. Anyway, more people need to read this!!!
Jan 30, 2014 12:05 AM

Jan 2013
Damn awesome manga.
Feb 24, 2014 11:18 PM
Jan 2013
k, done with the manga. I gotta say it was quite a confusing ride but the entertainment held me through.I think that the manga took at least two changes of directions from where it began. At the beginning, it seems that the plot was gonna be basically a mind game between Kano and Higuchi, her having the upper hand by controlling Kano, which was the plot point I was most intrigued about but the author just didnt go through this motion consistently. Then, the manga seemed to turn into a case to case thing, introducing and giving development to some characters, and dealing with Kano's and Mizogushi's dementia. But at the end of the day, I feel like the manga never really went full circle, like in the case of the dementia, it was never fully explained... it was just there, or the thing with Kano and Higushi which we got an explanation like at the end, but there just wasnt like enough emphasis in the middle of the story.

Another thing I didnt like was how Yamada was being well developed as a character in the story, but then at the end he was kinda tossed aside in the whole thing with Tanaka, and doesnt get a good enough role in it. But anyways, although I have some gripes about how things panned out, the manga was still entertaining. As I was reading I was hoping with anticipation for the things that I complained before to happen, and that kept me entertain by itself. Also, there were some great characters and very good cases to help. 7.5/10 for me.
May 10, 2014 4:37 PM

Oct 2013
Matsumoto at his finest.
Jun 5, 2014 1:04 PM

Sep 2013
That was pretty amazing. Matsumoto is a genius, he really can do social commentary and dark humor really well. His style is just so capturing and unique. Truly 'goes his own path' in drawing manga.

The ending to Freesia was fantastic, even better than I expected. Hiroshi Kano, what a badass. Dude went to my favorite list.

9/10.
cupcAug 14, 2015 10:31 AM
Nov 15, 2014 2:37 PM

Dec 2011
I still dont get the ending. He survived and then for me there were 2 possible scenarios.

1) some time passed and he went back to the same routine and also he started to remind Higuchi a lot. Plus that we are the guys he talks to(its possible but i dont think that he got off the police that easily)

2)Everything was part of his imagination of what its going to happen if he took the job or something. Judging for his apearance it is possible that he created Higuchi based on his apearance and personality(trying to predict what is going to happen).

I dont know. Anyone figured it out?

P.S. A really good manga but its not easy to read. Also i like the drawing style it feets so well and it reminds me of Blame!
Never ending nightmare!
Nov 18, 2014 6:14 AM

Sep 2013
D3va said:
I still dont get the ending. He survived and then for me there were 2 possible scenarios.

1) some time passed and he went back to the same routine and also he started to remind Higuchi a lot. Plus that we are the guys he talks to(its possible but i dont think that he got off the police that easily)

2)Everything was part of his imagination of what its going to happen if he took the job or something. Judging for his apearance it is possible that he created Higuchi based on his apearance and personality(trying to predict what is going to happen).

P.S. A really good manga but its not easy to read. Also i like the drawing style it feets so well and it reminds me of Blame!

When I completed it, I wasn't sure what to think about it either. I googled around a bit, and I think this is the most interesting theory:

This is what I think about the end, for what it's worth. Kano "survives" by somehow becoming his own halucination. It was established earlier that Kano can affect people's perceptions and make them not see him. At the end, he manages to invert this process, making others "see" him, just like he sees his own halucinations. That's what he means in the last few panels. He exists only in other people perceving that he exists. Higuchi was like him in that she was a sociopath, but she could not connect with others. That's what she was looking for (connection) and why she was facinated by Kano. It's also why Kano wanted nothing to do with her, as he couldn't affect her thoughts. The war, I think, was an abstract representation of Kano's inner struggle, culminating at the end when he finally claims his own free will.

So, Kano's body dies, but he does not. The last panal hints that by reading this story, Kano is able to continue on in our own minds. Which I think he will for very many readers of this manga.

It's quite an open ending, and I doubt we ever get a confirmation of what Matsumoto thought while writing it.

I think I'm going to re-read this sometime soon, so I can form a better opinion. Nevertheless, this is one of my favorite stories, as bizarre as it is.
cupcDec 12, 2014 11:39 PM
Dec 17, 2014 9:06 AM

Jan 2013
Bump809 said:
k, done with the manga. I gotta say it was quite a confusing ride but the entertainment held me through.I think that the manga took at least two changes of directions from where it began. At the beginning, it seems that the plot was gonna be basically a mind game between Kano and Higuchi, her having the upper hand by controlling Kano, which was the plot point I was most intrigued about but the author just didnt go through this motion consistently. Then, the manga seemed to turn into a case to case thing, introducing and giving development to some characters, and dealing with Kano's and Mizogushi's dementia. But at the end of the day, I feel like the manga never really went full circle, like in the case of the dementia, it was never fully explained... it was just there, or the thing with Kano and Higushi which we got an explanation like at the end, but there just wasnt like enough emphasis in the middle of the story.

Another thing I didnt like was how Yamada was being well developed as a character in the story, but then at the end he was kinda tossed aside in the whole thing with Tanaka, and doesnt get a good enough role in it. But anyways, although I have some gripes about how things panned out, the manga was still entertaining. As I was reading I was hoping with anticipation for the things that I complained before to happen, and that kept me entertain by itself. Also, there were some great characters and very good cases to help. 7.5/10 for me.

Pretty much sums up my feelings after completing this. Freesia is quite longer than his usual works, so it was pretty evident at times the mangaka didn't knew what to focus at what time. As a result, a lot of character arcs basically felt undercooked tbh. It had its moments, but overall the narrative structure was really weak and at the end he just tossed it with the meaning of existence and life themes which didn't have much impact as the characters never got complete focus in the first place. And yeah Yamada was basically an afterthought, and the way he handled Mizoguchi was a joke. Kano himself was out of the main picture for the majority of the manga. Aside from the narrative flaws, there is the blatant misogynistic behaviour that's really in poor taste.

Anyway, Freesia had potential but fell far short of what it could've been.
Its a beautiful flower from the outside, but once you open its petals and look carefully, you will find it to be rotten and infected with insects.

A 7/10 from me.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Dec 26, 2014 11:00 AM

Aug 2012
Zophrosyne said:

Pretty much sums up my feelings after completing this. Freesia is quite longer than his usual works, so it was pretty evident at times the mangaka didn't knew what to focus at what time. As a result, a lot of character arcs basically felt undercooked tbh. It had its moments, but overall the narrative structure was really weak and at the end he just tossed it with the meaning of existence and life themes which didn't have much impact as the characters never got complete focus in the first place. And yeah Yamada was basically an afterthought, and the way he handled Mizoguchi was a joke. Kano himself was out of the main picture for the majority of the manga. Aside from the narrative flaws, there is the blatant misogynistic behaviour that's really in poor taste.

Anyway, Freesia had potential but fell far short of what it could've been.
Its a beautiful flower from the outside, but once you open its petals and look carefully, you will find it to be rotten and infected with insects.

A 7/10 from me.

Agree with everything.
It was a good read, but not satisfying. The most important things in the manga weren't explored to the expected depth and so I'm left with disappointment.
Still Kano is one of the most entertaining characters I've seen.
Jan 31, 2015 12:37 AM
Jun 2013
How Kano survives at the end? Let's just remember Kano has an OP ability to camouflage himself in plain sight and create illusions for people to shoot at. Once he regained his senses in the last chapter, those military men were nothing for him. After that he set out to tie his loose ends and directly went to kill Tanaka. Then Matsumoto Jiro does some breaking the 4th wall shit and puts Kano speaking to us the readers as his delusional "imaginary friend" he cast aside. That was very clever, maybe cliche, and it got people thinking about the deepness of the overall manga. Great psychological manga 10/10. I think the only thing that I remember that was similar to this was Homunculus.

As to the philosophical shit that Kano is "searching for".. I guess you can chalk it up to Nihilism. There is no meaning to life, except for the way you live it. Kano had found his, but it was no longer possible: living a quiet life with Keiko and his mother. At the end I thought maybe Kano was deciding to kill himself, but it seems the instinct to survive is too strong? Yeah this message might leave dissatisfaction to those of you searching for definitive and concrete answers to the meaning of life, but if you want that you'll probably have to look for it on your own. Things are truly never black and white. Freesia was BIG on grey areas, which I loved.
khoidJan 31, 2015 12:41 AM
Jun 29, 2015 9:59 PM

Dec 2014
Brilliant manga. And a very fitting ending.
Aug 1, 2015 7:02 PM

Dec 2011
cupc said:
D3va said:

When I completed it, I wasn't sure what to think about it either. I googled around a bit, and I think this is the most interesting theory:

This is what I think about the end, for what it's worth. Kano "survives" by somehow becoming his own halucination. It was established earlier that Kano can affect people's perceptions and make them not see him. At the end, he manages to invert this process, making others "see" him, just like he sees his own halucinations. That's what he means in the last few panels. He exists only in other people perceving that he exists. Higuchi was like him in that she was a sociopath, but she could not connect with others. That's what she was looking for (connection) and why she was facinated by Kano. It's also why Kano wanted nothing to do with her, as he couldn't affect her thoughts. The war, I think, was an abstract representation of Kano's inner struggle, culminating at the end when he finally claims his own free will.

So, Kano's body dies, but he does not. The last panal hints that by reading this story, Kano is able to continue on in our own minds. Which I think he will for very many readers of this manga.

It's quite an open ending, and I doubt we ever get a confirmation of what Matsumoto thought while writing it.

I think I'm going to re-read this sometime soon, so I can form a better opinion. Nevertheless, this is one of my favorite stories, as bizarre as it is.

Nice explanation, i forgot that i commended. I need to re-read it too. I read the last 3 chapters and i believe you are correct, the part that shows him alive at the cafe is pretty much what he wants to see, the final job, he tries to end what he started. And in the where you see him at the cafe he is clearly talks to the readers. Pretty interesting i wonder how i missed that.
D3vaAug 1, 2015 7:14 PM
Never ending nightmare!
Aug 24, 2015 4:59 PM

Mar 2014
My theory on the ending is a bit different.
I theorize that the real Kano gets shot & killed by the police at the end of chapter 81. They show it in such detail that it seems like it has to be real.

The Kano we see at the end of Chapter 82 I believe to be a hallucination within Tanaka's mind. Notice how in the scene right before that, he begins talking crazy, and even sees a hallucination, seeing the kid sitting across from him as someone else. (his younger brother? His younger self?)
This means that it's completely possible he would still have a hallucination of Kano, especially after all that he's been through, and after hallucinating about him previously.
This is further evidenced by the fact that we never actually see Tanaka get shot. There's never even the sound of a gunshot. All we see is Kano pointing the gun at him.

I should also note that Tanaka's writing in this scene felt a bit more Kano-like to me, so it seems possible that he's starting to go insane in the same way Kano was.

The only thing that I'm not sure about is the final scene in the cafe. Kano is sitting there, and the waitress clearly notices him (or at least the coffee cup on the table).
Kano here also looks slightly different, a bit more like Higuchi, which is clearly meant to reflect the similarities in terms of their personalities.
The only theory I have for this scene is that... since we don't ever see who Kano is talking to in the chair, perhaps he's talking with Tanaka, which would explain why the waitress is serving coffee at all. Perhaps Kano has now taken on the same role that Highchi had taken in the beginning of the series, as a figment of someone's imagination, that someone being Tanaka, who is perhaps sitting in the cafe talking to a person that only exists in his mind.

Anyway, the ending was really good, although I'm a bit sad we didn't get to see one more showdown between Iwao & Kano, as she's my favorite character in the whole series.
vigorousjammerAug 24, 2015 5:07 PM
::End of Transmission::

Sep 3, 2015 11:40 PM

Nov 2011
Some of the mature content went slightly far imo but overall was a nice story with a fine degree of realism and satire. Very interesting characters as well.

7/10.

For some reason, I found page 24 on this final chapter to be a bit iconic.
Nov 30, 2015 11:51 AM

Oct 2012
This is the first manga I've read that left a really bad taste in my mouth. I like some of its ideas but the execution is just so ridiculous. It's really hard to put into words, actually. It's a mix of the grit-for-grit's-sake premise, Keiko's "lolwhat" death and the cover up, Higuchi's unrealistic personality, the fuzziness of the dementia, the Mizoguchi's groundless character, and the ending's expectation that I think Kano cool or something when he's still a twisted psycho in my eyes.

And yet, there are aspects in this that I did like. Yamada's degeneration, the failure of the Vengeance Agency's war, and a couple other small but nice things splashed here and there. And I think finding things that I liked made this whole experience more unpleasant for me because they should've been in a far better story than the one I read.
May 11, 2017 8:16 AM

Sep 2010
hmm didn't like the last chapter.. but overall was very fun~
Jun 7, 2017 12:00 AM

Jun 2008
cupc said:
D3va said:

Thanks for sharing this awesome theory! I was so confused, and I thought about "plot armor." A tragic thought for a great story!
HEY!
Feb 13, 2018 11:23 AM

Dec 2016
This manga was something else, I was planning to quit reading it due to the violent sexual content that was plaguing my mind. After reading more chapters I got used to the content. Good manga it showcased well dominance(Using the lion as the example), Prey(The weak), contradictions of humanity, corruption, war, revenge, sociopathic disorders, fear, and hallucinations.

I'm guessing the reason why everybody that got into contact with Kano hallucinated was because they know nothing of him, but only rumors of him. Fear is basically why Kano made people go crazy or hallucinate when humans step to the unknown they tend to fear what they don't know because they have no control of the outcome, then this leads on to people creating worst-case scenarios in their minds.
Feb 25, 2019 12:28 PM

Oct 2012
At first I was thinking it would be another of those 'rape' seinens, but oh boy, I was never that off the mark.

That's easily the best psychedelic manga by far. I never saw psychotic characters depicted that accurately. Usually it's just some meh execution for supposedly 'insane' characters, but author takes it to the next level entirely and makes characters become so believable that you can actually feel like they existed for real.
When you are about to relax and think the series loses it's edge and become more 'normal' - it actually prepares to grab you by the balls even harder. The madness is literally oozing out of every page as you keep reading.

And the ending, it was so perfectly executed - so many ways to interpret it the way you want with it remaining extremely satisfying, so many details that you can easily miss in last few pages only, I can't even begin to comprehend how many small details I missed during the whole time I read this manga.

The only negative I can think of is actually the whole 'camouflage' thing... no matter how 'badass' it made the protagonist feel, I think it was slightly too edgy and didn't make much sense in the long run. Well, it does make sense if you take one of ending theories where it's all an illusion in the end, but that's one of the least likely ones... it should be safe enough to assume that he did affect the world physically.

But if you get past that fact - it's absolutely brilliant. It's like getting drugged without actually going high on drugs: simply amazing.

A strong 9 for the series.
May 5, 2019 7:48 AM
Jul 2018
Kano is alive because at the end you can see injuries on his face and the proof that it's not flashback is that waitresses is not bothered anymore unlike in beginning meaning she's already used to it.

7/10. Could've been 10 if it only focused on Kano. It's a better Cowboy bebop overall.
Jun 6, 2020 1:01 PM
Jan 2019
One of the best psychological Manga that I read more people should read this it's underrated
8/10 o((*^▽^*))o
Feb 18, 2021 1:56 PM

Feb 2016
didn't get it. oh well...
Dec 9, 2021 12:50 AM
Sep 2019
Overall great manga from start to finish....the ending itself is really up in the air ( very fitting if you ask me ) but i think the ultimate meaning behind everything is adaptation ( thus the zebra x lion references).It tries to tell us that you can either change with the times ( blend in like a zebra using it's stripes) which is represented by yamada who is the only one truly confirmed to be alive by the end or you take command and inject your own ideals (like a lion) and even if your ideals are fake ( or hallucinations) as long as you believe it's real then it is ( thus the reason i think kano's fate is left up for interpretation....it simply doesn't matter....as long as you think he is then he is).
Kano and most of the cast like mizoguchi and higuchi who take the latter approach but what seperates kano from them is that he found that "something" towards the end.....
Sep 18, 2022 4:08 AM

Oct 2017
Well this was one difficult read for me but I pushed through cuz everyone said it was really good... I didnt really understand the ending so I might have to read some analysis on it, overall just seems slightly messy. It was an interesting concept at least... 6/10
Oct 28, 2023 6:22 PM

Dec 2019
What a ruthless manga with parody-like moments and messed up ones - I enjoyed it all the way through. One of the best "fucked up society" stories like Texhnolyze or Psycho-Pass. As much as I liked Tanaka's arc, I think Kano deserved an extended arc of himself, it's almost as if the ending was rushed tbh.

The bodyguard arc actually struck to me the most, especially that conclusion. Yo-Ko's near-death also hit me hard. And screw that motherfucker Suzuki, what relationship did he even have with Keiko? Higuchi was a sick manipulator (better than Makima :P), her death didn't deserve to be so hasty.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Freesia Chapter 73 Discussion

rebwaters - Mar 29, 2010

6 by Gabija222 »»
Feb 29, 12:02 PM

» is hotline miami based on this manga?

Neostorm-X - Oct 1, 2021

6 by FNH04 »»
Nov 28, 2023 2:38 AM

Poll: » Freesia Chapter 7 Discussion

Kino_no_Tabi - Apr 30, 2009

2 by bubba460z »»
Nov 27, 2023 10:44 PM

Poll: » Freesia Chapter 6 Discussion

Deliriant - Dec 26, 2013

1 by bubba460z »»
Nov 27, 2023 10:32 PM

Poll: » Freesia Chapter 5 Discussion

alpir - Nov 26, 2014

6 by bubba460z »»
Nov 26, 2023 11:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.