Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 6, 2010 12:13 AM

Aug 2008
Hi guys i recently watched both the 1st and 2nd evangelion rebuild movies and their just out of this world but i never watched the original series or any other material of the franchise and i dont really plan to but i was hoping someone would explain without spoiling the next two movies what is actually going on coz i only have a vague idea of what is happening.

To clarify i would like to know who these angels are and why they are attacking, what happend to the earth(second impact etc), how humans got their hands on these mechs and whats this ascension stuff/biblic stuff.
Jun 6, 2010 2:10 AM
May 2009
you dont have to see the series to undestand the movie,sure it may help but are two differents stories with obiously differente development and ending
Jun 6, 2010 2:53 AM

Sep 2009
I watched the original series and I'm still not sure what the angels are...(maybe I just forgot). I never saw end of evangelion (probably should have)....I had meant to re-watch the original and EOE, I just never got around to it. Sorry I couldn't help you though.
Jun 6, 2010 7:36 AM

Feb 2009
IMO watching those movies without knowing series (plus sequel) is rather misunderstanding. Here are lots of lack in storyline. But that's just my opinion.
Jun 6, 2010 1:52 PM

Jan 2008
That Rebuild itself is sufficient to understand Evangelion is wrong. You absolutely must watch the series and End of Evangelion first. No exceptions, It'll also make Rebuild more interesting once you see all the parallels and changes.
Jun 6, 2010 2:35 PM

Sep 2007
Especially after seeing the preview at the end of Evangelion 2.22, I'm almost 100% positive that the Rebuild movies are a sequel to the TV series + End of Evangelion rather than a remake of them.
Jun 6, 2010 3:04 PM
Oct 2008
BluMeino said:
That Rebuild itself is sufficient to understand Evangelion is wrong. You absolutely must watch the series and End of Evangelion first. No exceptions, It'll also make Rebuild more interesting once you see all the parallels and changes.

^This

You need to watch the series and End of Evangelion first if you really want to understand what's going on. There is no doubt now that Rebuild is definitely a sequel. Plus, the power of many of the scenes in 2.0
are only more powerful after having watched the series and connected with the characters that way.

Btw, for those who doubt Rebuild is a sequel, look at this (which is only made from the hints in 1.0, add in the new 2.0 hints and there's no room for doubt anymore): http://i080.radikal.ru/1006/d3/03ae0d5a75db.jpg
Jun 7, 2010 5:04 AM

Jan 2008
Kobukson said:
Btw, for those who doubt Rebuild is a sequel, look at this (which is only made from the hints in 1.0, add in the new 2.0 hints and there's no room for doubt anymore): http://i080.radikal.ru/1006/d3/03ae0d5a75db.jpg

...The sea of LCL can easily be explained; Second Impact simply flooded the entire ocean rather than just part of it like in the TV-series. The same can also apply for the moon looking like it does. And I don't even see what they're trying to get at with the outline in the city ruins. Which really only leaves Kaworu's lines, though I can admit that those are definitely suspicious.
Lord_StarfishJun 7, 2010 9:37 AM
Jun 7, 2010 8:27 AM

Sep 2007
Vegard_Aune said:
Which realy only leaves Kaworu's lines, though I can admit that those are definitely suspicious.

Yep, those are what I was referring to!
Jun 8, 2010 6:31 AM
Feb 2008
Vegard_Aune said:
...The sea of LCL can easily be explained; Second Impact simply flooded the entire ocean rather than just part of it like in the TV-series. The same can also apply for the moon looking like it does. And I don't even see what they're trying to get at with the outline in the city ruins. Which really only leaves Kaworu's lines, though I can admit that those are definitely suspicious.

The fact that it can be explained is probably intentional. He's a blatant troll and enjoys watching people trying to figure out his clusterfuck of a story. He won't give us the official explanation, he'll just keep feeding us with hints and then watch the pre-fans and post-fans duke it out against each other.

If we do get an explanation then it's safe to assume that he was gagged and locked up inside a closet.
Jun 8, 2010 8:50 AM

Jan 2009
ye imo Rebuild movies are sequel to the TV series and End of Evangelion movie but what ive seen on Rebuild 1.11 and 2.22 makes me think that this could be viewed without knowing the TV series and End of Evangelion movie but if your really really really that curious about Kawaru's dialogues like "its the 3rd impact AGAIN?" and "THIS TIME shinji ill make you truly happy" then certainly its kind of mind conditioning by Anno Hideki and GAINAX for you to watch the TV series and End of Evangelion movie
Jun 9, 2010 1:49 AM

Oct 2009
Mindfuck what?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 10, 2010 12:03 AM

Aug 2008
lol thanks for the responses guys but based on what u have said it kinda seems like watching the tv series and end of evangelion may confuse me even further tbh i just wanted to understand the premise of the story as why the planet is underattack i dont really wish to know the backstories of characters etc coz what has been shown so far is enough for me
Jun 10, 2010 10:55 AM

Jan 2008
Nero_200 said:
tbh i just wanted to understand the premise of the story as why the planet is underattack

They're trying to reach the lowest levels of NERV HQ and merge with Lilith, which will trigger Third Impact. And if I remember it right, if an Angel were to trigger Third Impact, mankind would vanish and said Angel would go on to become the dominant species on Earth.
Jun 18, 2010 9:19 AM

Feb 2009
What's all this crap about a sequel? This is a different story based on the original one, a reimagination with a different direction and a new character. You just have to keep watching this to (hopefully) get some answers, in this case the next 2 movies, which I highly antecipate. I have seen the previous series, and although I admit it might help to understand some of the concepts it is not necessary, it will all have an explanation by the end anyway, probably different than the orirginal.
VeethornJun 18, 2010 9:22 AM
May 7, 2011 5:52 PM
Aug 2010
Vegard_Aune said:
Nero_200 said:
tbh i just wanted to understand the premise of the story as why the planet is underattack

They're trying to reach the lowest levels of NERV HQ and merge with Lilith, which will trigger Third Impact. And if I remember it right, if an Angel were to trigger Third Impact, mankind would vanish and said Angel would go on to become the dominant species on Earth.

This is a pretty succinct explanation of the plot. The Angels are attacking, NERV is the last line of defense. This all started fifteen years ago with an event known as the Second Impact. Second Impact wiped out a large portion of the living beings on the Earth and had other effects such as turning the oceans red. Now, beings known as Angels periodically appear and attack humanity. Although a handful of people believe that the Angels are seeking Lilith, it's mostly unknown otherwise. I'm pretty sure someone explains in the movies that the Angels are actively seeking Lilith, the first Angel kept in NERV's basement, but this was kept on the downlow throughout the series, and may or may not even be true, necessarily. The SEELE group believed that everything they were experiencing was foretold in scripture, hence their claim to know what would happen if the Angels' supposed goal was realized.
The Evangelion units are NERV's best weapons, and are piloted by kids because they're best controlled by people born after the Second Impact, for whatever reason. The kids don't necessarily know why they are fighting other than that they have been told that the Angels are enemies (though I think Misato explains the Lilith situation to Shinji in one of the movies). This seems like all you really need to know.

Really, there's not all that much more to the movies at this point. Everything else is more or less up to interpretation, and the movies provide as many reasons/explanations as the series would. I wouldn't say watching the series is at all mandatory to understand, but it enables a different understanding and interpretation. The movies so far seem to be a lot more commercial and straightforward, without a lot of the more complicated ideas and subtext that the series had. For example, my interpretation of the humanity being attacked thing was that it was just a device in the context of the show; meaning, the "God" that sent the Angels for Shinji and the others to fight was the director and production crew making the show. The reason for the Angels' existence and the Evangelions' existence was to make a show with giant robots, nothing more. A lot of people think it was supposed to be a commentary on the anime industry on some levels. At this point in the movies' continuity, it's unclear what's really going on, but I think they're trying to tell a more traditional story, so I definitely wouldn't say you have to go and watch the show. This seems like a wholly different experience, so arguing about whether it's a sequel/remake/etc doesn't really help someone that just wants to watch a couple of films and understand what is clearly going on.

I don't think anyone really answered your questions properly but I tried to. Was there anything else that's unclear about the movies, or which you didn't understand but think you should have?
May 23, 2011 3:39 PM
Dec 2009
Oct 24, 2011 6:55 PM

Oct 2011
Well, after watching 2.22 I'm convinced there isn't much to explain. Other than how someone could get such poorly written drek made into a movie.

The artwork sure is 100% awesome though.
<a href="">;;RykOakwine.png</a>

More topics from this board

Poll: » Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dtshyk - Jun 27, 2009

563 by Ten »»
Apr 7, 4:15 PM

» Stop after this movie if you dont want to be disappointed

CickNipolla - Oct 12, 2022

40 by Zero00phantom »»
Apr 2, 4:44 PM

» Mari being an insert for Hideaki’s wife

hanekawastiddi - Sep 3, 2023

6 by certainmiracle »»
Sep 4, 2023 12:00 PM

» Why They've shown Rei Nippels but didn't show Asuka Nippels?

LoliSenpai0x - Aug 6, 2020

9 by Jun_Rei »»
Feb 28, 2023 1:38 PM

» Shinji is gigachad

samthestan - Nov 26, 2021

6 by JohnLivelyMan »»
Apr 12, 2022 10:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.