Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 4, 2010 6:58 AM

Dec 2009
I watched some episodes of Shigurui subbed, & others, dubbed -in English. In the case of Shigurui, I don't have any complaints about either version.

I usually prefer subbed anime; especially for older titles even though the translations can be a bit wonky at times. I feel Japanese voice actors are often well-suited to the roles in which they've been cast. I've read complaints from people about obviously non-Japanese characters speaking fluent Japanese without a hint of the corresponding (German, French, etc.) accent. Luckily, this has never detracted from my viewing pleasure. XD

I have begun to notice a welcome change in regard to the English speaking voice actors that are now being chosen for dubbed versions. I believe we'll start to notice more accurate translations, as well.

What's your opinion?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jun 4, 2010 5:07 PM
Apr 2007
Subbed, subbed and subbed again. I absolutely cannot stand dubbed anime, any anime.

Despite many voice actors for dubs are bad, there are other reasons I dislike dubs. A lot of mannerisms are lost from the original japanese voice actor to the american dub voice. References to other japanese pop cultural and culture in general are lost. Just the fact that it was originally in japanese and knowing it has been altered makes it unappealing to me, somehow losing its original luster.

As far as complaints about non-japanese characters speaking fluent japanese, this is nothing new, it has been done for years in US made shows and movies, and although they have tried to make characters more realistic over the last decade or so, its still prominent today.

There has only been one anime I have enjoyed dubbed (even though in my opinion the original japanese dub was still superior), Cowboy Bebop.
Jun 6, 2010 2:12 PM

Jan 2009
lostcause said:
Subbed, subbed and subbed again. I absolutely cannot stand dubbed anime, any anime.

That wraps it for me 2 !

Join My Club Shigurui - Death Frenzy (Still in construction)
Jun 9, 2010 2:22 PM

Dec 2009
decho said:
lostcause said:

That wraps it for me 2 !

Five voters so far, all with the same vote of SUBBED. I'm a little surprised. I've read comments & have heard some people (mainly from anime podcasts, etc.) that they prefer DUBBED, as following subtitles makes them miss the actiion.
Jun 11, 2010 3:59 AM

Jan 2009
Haha, this really a silly reasoning =)

Join My Club Shigurui - Death Frenzy (Still in construction)
Jul 8, 2010 4:33 AM
Jan 2010
most of the time i opt for subbed, and usually just switch the audio with out bothering to try the dub. Most of the time i find that the dialog has been kinda dumbed down for western audiences. Or the emotion conveyed doesn't have the believability. Either through acting or the language itself. especially with a comedy. And i was so pleased to find that i \saw none of these problems with Shigurui. I watched both and would prob say i prefer the sub but not by much.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Which Shigurui do you prefer?

decho - Jun 2, 2010

12 by Ronin-dono »»
Feb 19, 2016 7:00 AM

» Favorite scene from the anime? Why is it awesome?

Erroth - Dec 28, 2013

0 by Erroth »»
Dec 28, 2013 6:49 PM

» How many times did you watch Shigurui

Caladan - Jun 3, 2010

8 by Erroth »»
Dec 28, 2013 6:27 PM

Poll: » Who's your favorite - Irako or Fujiki -why?

diadora - Jun 3, 2010

11 by Erroth »»
Dec 28, 2013 6:25 PM

» Volume 15 - the end, discussion

diadora - Jan 24, 2011

2 by Erroth »»
Dec 28, 2013 6:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.