Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 15, 2011 7:20 AM

Nov 2007
saka said:
I have actually. Just a couple days ago I noticed a torrent for Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone but it became "Evangelion: 1.0 You Are" from subber "Not". Of course the filename recognizes fine in player.

There are more but I can't remember any off the top of my head, and usually the ones that are way off were for series not in my list or not identified with the exact alternate title, so no big deal. The Eva one is the only one I remember that was certainly recognizable in one but not the other, and on my list. I do remember another that had periods ( . ) instead of underscores or spaces that threw things out of whack.

Batch torrents usually have the most problems, like second seasons where the season number is seen as an episode -- for example I've seen "Series S2" becomes "Series S" episode 2. There are some other cases that make sense in player recognition but that are inconvenient on the torrent viewer -- most of them are quite explainable mistakes. I can start keeping a log of them if it would help, but I've dismissed most of them as unavoidable. Some subbers do odd things, of course.

I do sometimes long to see the original untouched filename, for things like v2's of releases and cases where the parsing is obviously off. Sometimes there is useful information in the filename that doesn't get extracted (like the torrent is in Russian, or a raw). There does not seem to be any way to view the original filename without downloading the file.

Evangelion movie titles were one of the reasons I rewrote the recognition engine, lol. Could it be that the torrent you recall was "Evangelion_1.0_You_Are_[Not]_Alone_(1080p)_[@Home]"? If so, it falls into bad naming conventions category (putting "Not" within square brackets while putting "1080p" in parentheses, really?) and it's not something related to it being a torrent title, it would neither be recognized in a media player without you setting an alternative title for it.

I made some minor adjustments so that "Series S2" won't be recognized as 2nd episode of "Series S" anymore. In fact, I'm surprised I haven't done this before. When you see something off and think it should have been correctly recognized, open up the rss.xml file in Data folder. You can find the full file name there to post here, so I can add it to my recognition test list.
Jan 31, 2011 9:10 AM

Nov 2009
[E-HARO Raws] Kore wa Zombie desu ka - 03 (TV 1280x720 h264 AAC) [888E4991].mkv
SVNr54 detects the group as "-HARO Raws"
I think it could also be bubble problem on XP
slevirJan 31, 2011 10:52 AM
Feb 7, 2011 11:46 AM

May 2008
There seem to be some issues in trimming "episode"/'ep.' keywords when the actual episode number and the keyword is not separated by a space (or most common delimeter). For example "Juuni.Kokki.Ep.5' will recognize fine because of dot separator, but 'Juuni Kokki Ep.5' will not be recognized properly because 'Ep.' cannot be separated from the number.

The logic in the recognition seems to assume a space or separator between the episode keyword and the number, and then trim it off the title's right side. In the case like the above where they are "stuck together", the IsEpisode() method is supposed to handle stripping the same keywords off the left side. This is problematic because of the duplicate logic, which does not seem to match. It seems like IsEpisode() should be calling TrimEpisodeWord() like the main logic does.

I'd fix it myself but I had both my primary hd and monitor die, and coding on my current display is close to impossible. >_>

I am a banana.
Feb 12, 2011 5:44 PM

Feb 2009
I'm having a slight recognition problem with this anime here:

[SS-Eclipse] Hayate no Gotoku! - 10 (XviD) [CCC15018].avi

The file name indicates its Hayate no Gotoku! Episode 10 however, Taiga is recognizing it as Hayate no Gotoku!! (aka the second season).

Another slight issue along these lines, is when searching for folders when you have both Hayate no Gotoku! and Hayate no Gotoku!! in your list and the folder search placing the folder for both Hayate no Gotoku!(!) as the folder for the first season of Hayate no Gotoku!

Real Folders:
D:\Hayate no Gotoku! - Season 1 Folder
D:\Hayate no Gotoku!! - Season 2 Folder

Taiga assigning the folders, result
Hayate no Gotoku!: D:\Hayate no Gotoku! (expected and wanted result)
Hayate no Gotoku!!: D:\Hayate no Gotoku! (unexpected and unwanted result, should be D:\Hayate no Gotoku!!)

Feb 12, 2011 10:25 PM

Nov 2007
The problem with Hayate no Gotoku! and Hayate no Gotoku!! was caused by a minor error at ErasePunctuation() function, it should be fixed now.
Apr 3, 2011 9:00 PM

Apr 2011
Slight but annoying problem here. I watch my anime via XBMC (thanks for supporting it btw) and have all my episodes following one of their naming conventions [series name] - [season]x[episode] - [Episode Title]. Taiga recognizes the series just fine, but it sees the season number as the episode number.

IE - "After War Gundam X - 1x03 - My Mount is Fierce!.mkv" is recognized as

Title: After War Gundam X
Name: x03 - My Mount is Fierce!
Episode: 1/39

instead of

Title: After War Gundam X
Name: My Mount is Fierce!
Episode: 3/39

Would it be possible for you to fix this? Thanks.
Apr 3, 2011 9:27 PM

Nov 2007
I think I can add support for that naming convention, but it would only work for "1x[episode]", since there is currently no way to link anime titles with each other as different seasons of the same series. I'm already working on rewriting some parts of the code related to episode recognition at the moment, I'll see what I can do to fix your problem as well while I'm on it.
Apr 4, 2011 11:31 AM

Apr 2011
Thanks!
Apr 5, 2013 12:48 PM
Mar 2010
Hello, sry for being a newb but im having some problems.

With the series Hunter X Hunter (2011) it seems to not find it properly because of the (2011) at the end, most of the subbers put the name without the year at the end, only one have it.

I even added a custon title for the series with just "hunter x hunter" at it, but even then it finds only the ones with (2011) at the end, is there a way to do it?
Apr 5, 2013 8:15 PM

Nov 2007
Hi NoWar,

Setting Hunter x Hunter (2011)'s alternative title as "Hunter x Hunter" works for me. I tested it with your anime list too; new torrents are properly recognized. Should work the same with video files.

Before: http://i.imgur.com/GoRxm8E.png
After: http://i.imgur.com/hDXra0O.png

If this is not what you meant, could you explain it further?
Apr 14, 2013 10:41 AM
Mar 2010
Hello erengy

wow, nice and quick answer, wasnt expecting it to be so quick ^^

hum... strange, mine isnt geting it pictures as proof:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y3slv99m87z1qu1/hunter.PNG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0yenrk32t3qy0a4/hunter2.PNG

is there something im missing then? =/
Apr 14, 2013 11:49 AM

Nov 2007
There's no problem in those images as far as I can see. Torrent files are properly recognized in the second one. I'd advise you to change your fansub group preference to "HorribleSubs" from "horrible" though, since their files do start with "[HorribleSubs]".

Oh, wait. I think I get it now. You're right-clicking on Hunter x Hunter (2011) in your list, and then choosing Search > NyaaTorrents, right? That does a literal search for "Hunter x Hunter (2011)", which obviously doesn't return any results for "Hunter x Hunter". If you were to manually search for "Hunter x Hunter" using the search box at the top-right corner, you'd get what you want.
Apr 14, 2013 12:42 PM
Mar 2010
k, i will change the horrible.

hum... so as it is i should get the hunter x hunter releases right? ^^

ty then! also nice work with taiga, its rly the best of its kind!
May 25, 2013 12:40 PM
Feb 2012
I think I found a recognition/filter bug
<item><category>Anime</category><title>[FFF] Red Data Girl - 10v0 [29EA865B].mkv</title><link><![CDATA[http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=436832]]></link><description><![CDATA[Torrent: <a href="http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=436832">http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=436832</a><br />Size: 127.85MB<br />Authorized: N/A<br /><a href="magnet:?xt=urn:btih:F2F6XG7GRREV6Z4HACG2T3PM3BCONNSM">Magnet Link</a> <br />Comment: #FFFpeeps@irc.rizon.net]]></description><guid><![CDATA[http://tokyotosho.info/details.php?id=657821]]></guid><pubDate>Sat, 25 May 2013 15:54:31 GMT</pubDate></item>

My filter "Discard v0" didn't discard that
<item action="0" match="0" enabled="true" name="Discard &quot;v0&quot;"><condition element="9" op="0" value="v0" /></item>

Thanks!
May 31, 2013 5:06 PM
Feb 2012
And here's one that's detected really incorrectly:

<item><category>Anime</category><title>[BDrip][fansub][The Garden of Words][kotonohanoniwa][1920x1080][x264Hi10P][3aduio][3subs]</title><link><![CDATA[http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=438615]]></link><description><![CDATA[Torrent: <a href="http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=438615">http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=438615</a><br />Size: 2.77GB<br />Authorized: N/A<br /><a href="magnet:?xt=urn:btih:KYO3P2UYZ76YLN4RLFDOICBCAOHSFEWG">Magnet Link</a> <br />Comment: Makoto Shinkai&#039;s new short animation movie. Roadshow in cinema 2013.05.31.]]></description><guid><![CDATA[http://tokyotosho.info/details.php?id=659689]]></guid><pubDate>Fri, 31 May 2013 07:21:45 GMT</pubDate></item>

Taiga detects it as 'fansub'. I know it's to be expected since whoever tagged the file must have been drunk, but still...
Jun 8, 2013 12:14 PM

Nov 2007
value="v0"

Could you try using "0" instead of "v0" for the condition value? It seems to me that recognition process and filter evaluation are doing fine; it's just that Add new condition dialog is misleading with its example values.

[BDrip][fansub][The Garden of Words][kotonohanoniwa][1920x1080][x264Hi10P][3aduio][3subs]

Yep, this title falls into bad naming conventions, won't take any action here.
Jun 13, 2013 11:32 AM
Feb 2012
erengy said:
value="v0"

Could you try using "0" instead of "v0" for the condition value? It seems to me that recognition process and filter evaluation are doing fine; it's just that Add new condition dialog is misleading with its example values.

Took some time for another 'v0' to show up, but this time it was discarded. I guess that's the bug then, the dialog is misleading. Thanks!
Aug 14, 2013 7:33 PM
Oct 2011
Really I appreciate the time and effort you put into developing Taiga, I love it - it's much better than MAL updater and anything else I've tried. I think this needs to be said more often.

Now then.
Princess_Tutu_01[v2].DVD(x264.vorbis)[Ahiru][2E2E60D7]
is recognised, but
Princess_Tutu_02.DVD(x264.vorbis)[Ahiru][ECF29034]
is recognised as
Aug 15, 2013 5:47 AM

Nov 2007
Hello, lavac. The problem with the second title is that "." after the episode number. First, a little bit of background information:

Due to some technical reasons, it's a common practice to avoid using spaces in file names and URLs. This is why we usually see file names such as "[TaigaSubs]_Toradora!_-_01.mkv" instead of "[TaigaSubs] Toradora! - 01.mkv". The problem is, while the de facto rule is to use an underscore, there is no standard character to replace spaces in file names, and different fansub groups use different punctuation marks on different releases.

To recognize a file name, Taiga first has to split it into meaningful parts. But it cannot simply assume that the only separator is an underscore; neither it can blindly ignore all punctuation marks, as some of them may be a part of the actual title or another expression such as "H.264". To solve this problem, Taiga looks for the most common non-alphanumeric character that exists in a file name to figure out word boundaries.

Now, let's get back to Princess Tutu. When Taiga looks at "Princess_Tutu_02.DVD", it sees "Princess", "Tutu" and "02.DVD". We actually had a similar test case ("Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's - 01.DVD") before, but didn't take any action on it as it wasn't a common thing. It still isn't. Also, frankly, it doesn't make any sense to use a dot there. I think the logical approach here is to rename the files, and if possible, let the fansub group know about it.
Aug 16, 2013 12:06 PM

Feb 2009
erengy said:
Hello, lavac. The problem with the second title is that "." after the episode number. First, a little bit of background information:

Due to some technical reasons, it's a common practice to avoid using spaces in file names and URLs. This is why we usually see file names such as "[TaigaSubs]_Toradora!_-_01.mkv" instead of "[TaigaSubs] Toradora! - 01.mkv". The problem is, while the de facto rule is to use an underscore, there is no standard character to replace spaces in file names, and different fansub groups use different punctuation marks on different releases.

To recognize a file name, Taiga first has to split it into meaningful parts. But it cannot simply assume that the only separator is an underscore; neither it can blindly ignore all punctuation marks, as some of them may be a part of the actual title or another expression such as "H.264". To solve this problem, Taiga looks for the most common non-alphanumeric character that exists in a file name to figure out word boundaries.

Now, let's get back to Princess Tutu. When Taiga looks at "Princess_Tutu_02.DVD", it sees "Princess", "Tutu" and "02.DVD". We actually had a similar test case ("Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's - 01.DVD") before, but didn't take any action on it as it wasn't a common thing. It still isn't. Also, frankly, it doesn't make any sense to use a dot there. I think the logical approach here is to rename the files, and if possible, let the fansub group know about it.

Wouldn't it be possible thought to add a d seperator since Doremi EXTENSIVELY uses . to seperate words in releases, plus they will NOT change their ways since they're still stuck in the early days where they think computers can't handle spaces or underscores in URLs and Doremi releases typically trip up recognition from my experience because of that.

Aug 17, 2013 12:31 AM
Oct 2011
erengy said:

Yeah, I figured it was pretty apparent "." was the problem. I assumed Taiga's recognition was based of a number of string templates, and so it will be pretty easy to fix. But I guess not then, hehe.

Thanks anyways, for providing some insight to how Taiga works for those who don't go through the code.

Onto Advanced Renamer then...

Diablofan said:
Wouldn't it be possible thought to add a d seperator since Doremi EXTENSIVELY uses . to seperate words in releases, plus they will NOT change their ways since they're still stuck in the early days where they think computers can't handle spaces or underscores in URLs and Doremi releases typically trip up recognition from my experience because of that.

Some hope left, I guess.
Aug 17, 2013 6:23 AM

Nov 2007
Diablofan said:

There's no problem with Doremi releases, from what I see. I checked their latest 100 releases now and Taiga got 100% of them correctly. There'd been a problem with Doremi's Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS releases at some point, but it was fixed in r216.

It's okay as long as they use a single character consistently, although I'd prefer them not to use a dot for this purpose. The real mess is when people somehow decide to use multiple separators in a single title, as in the underscore and the dot in "Princess_Tutu_02.DVD", where Taiga fails with a good reason.
Nov 28, 2013 10:21 PM
Feb 2012
It seems like it's not working for Crunchyroll
Nov 29, 2013 6:39 PM

Nov 2007
Crunchyroll recognition works fine in the latest version (1.0.257 beta). If it doesn't work for you, it could be because of one of the following reasons:

1) You're using an older version of Taiga
2) Recognition for your web browser and/or Crunchyroll is disabled (see: Settings → Recognition)

If none of the above is true, there may be a problem with Taiga's browser detection. Could you tell me which browser do you use, along with its version and language? (e.g. Firefox 25.0.1, English)
Dec 13, 2013 6:03 AM
Dec 2012
Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! is not recognized without the exclamation point at the end.

Also, it would be nice if Taiga could try to differentiate between TV series and OVAs automatically, for instance by checking the amount of files in the folder against the number of episodes in the series. (This would obviously not work with airing series, but it's the simplest (?) solution I could think about at the moment.) The reason this would be nice is for series like Black Rock Shooter, which MAL calls Black Rock Shooter (TV), and most groups don't seem to name it that way.
Dec 13, 2013 1:15 PM

Aug 2009
Commie's "Kyousougiga" for some reason is not recognized.
Dec 13, 2013 1:45 PM

Nov 2007
@Ooglogput:
There are different seasons of the same series, such as "K-On!" and "K-On!!" that can be distinguished only by the punctuation at the end. So there was a trade-off and I had to choose, and I chose to make Taiga to pay attention to certain punctuation marks at the end.

If MAL API provided a list of all titles in their database like some other services do, then perhaps Taiga could apply the special treatment to only a selected few, which would automatically fix the issue with Watamote and some others. I could do the same thing for the user's list instead of the whole database, but I'm not sure that'd behave as expected, or at least better than the current situation. (Now I'm actually just thinking aloud -- will revisit this post in the future and see what I can do. Gotta do some tests, otherwise all I can do is to speculate.)

TV/OVA differentiation is supposed to work after you watch a number of episodes. For example, if there's a TV series with 12 episodes and an OVA with 3 episodes with the same name, the 4th episode and the following will be correctly recognized as the TV series. Going through other episodes in the same directory could help, but as far as recognition is concerned, implementing features like this tends to break other cases.

Thanks for your input!

@magicmaster:
You can set "Kyousougiga" as an alternative title for the series, and Commie's releases will be recognized afterward.

The culprit is that "(TV)" at the end of the main title. Previously MAL provided "Kyousougiga" as a synonym for the series, but looks like they changed it recently and that broke the recognition.
Dec 14, 2013 3:10 AM
Dec 2012
That makes sense, about the exclamation points. As for the TV/OVA thing, I just renamed all the files after I saw it didn't recognize it, so I couldn't see that taking effect.
Mar 2, 2014 7:53 AM
Sep 2011
[Hien] Kotoura-san - Special Short Anime 'Haruka's Room' - 01 [BD 1080p H.264 10-bit AAC][6B6BE015].mkv
[Hien] Kotoura-san - Special Short Anime 'Haruka's Room' - 02 [BD 1080p H.264 10-bit AAC][6DD193DD].mkv
[Hien] Kotoura-san - Special Short Anime 'Haruka's Room' - 03 [BD 1080p H.264 10-bit AAC][9AC4562A].mkv
[Hien] Kotoura-san - Special Short Anime 'Haruka's Room' - 04 [BD 1080p H.264 10-bit AAC][487C658E].mkv
[Hien] Kotoura-san - Special Short Anime 'Haruka's Room' - 05 [BD 1080p H.264 10-bit AAC][5D44C844].mkv
[Hien] Kotoura-san - Special Short Anime 'Haruka's Room' - 06 [BD 1080p H.264 10-bit AAC][A728EA5D].mkv

This is http://myanimelist.net/anime/16636/Kotoura-san:_Haruka_no_Heya
I set Kotoura-san - Special Short Anime 'Haruka's Room' as the alternative title but only episode 3 is being recognized.
http://puu.sh/7gbQB.png
Mar 2, 2014 9:34 AM

Nov 2007
Episode 01: 9.9 MiB
Episode 02: 6.1 MiB
Episode 03: 10.4 MiB
Episode 04: 6.5 MiB
Episode 05: 6.7 MiB
Episode 06: 7.9 MiB

While searching your computer for available episodes, Taiga ignores any file with a size below 10 MiB. This greatly improves performance, but has the downside of not being able to detect really short episodes. There aren't many of them around, so I think it's a good tradeoff.
Mar 2, 2014 10:16 AM
Sep 2011
How exactly does it improve performance?
iirc Taiga ignores anything that is not a video file. In my anime folder there are only ~70 video files with a size <10MiB, which amounts to roughly 2% of the total amount of files. I don't think that this would have a noticeable impact on performance.
Mar 2, 2014 11:20 AM

Nov 2007
I put the file size limit in about 3 years ago, noting that it "works ~5% faster with video-only folders, and works much faster if there are other files with small size". One suggestion was to make the threshold configurable through Settings dialog, though I eventually decided against that. To be honest, I'm not sure if it still has the same performance advantage after all the changes I've made throughout the last couple of years. I should check it again sometime.
Mar 5, 2014 5:43 AM
Sep 2013
I am watching Coalgirl's release of Seitokai Yakuindomo and it keeps recognizing it as Seitokai Yakuindomo* which is the second season. I'm not sure what to change to make it recognize it as the first season.
Apr 10, 2014 4:50 PM
Jun 2013
I'm actually having the same issue with Seitokai Yakuindomo being recognized as Seitokai Yakuindomo*.

Edit: As a temporary measure I've given the first season the title of 'Seitokai Yakuindomo S1' in both the alternative title and the file name itself.
Reticence96Apr 11, 2014 10:21 AM
Apr 13, 2014 3:42 AM
Dec 2012
My XDCC downloads are all prefixed with "BotName.", e.g. "EvoBot.[Watakushi]_Akuma_no_Riddle_-_01v2_[720p][69A307A2]". Taiga interprets this as EvoBot. Probably an easy fix if you decide to do it, would be nice since I'm stuck renaming them manually right now.
Apr 16, 2014 12:48 PM
Sep 2013
For some reason even though there's no "." in the filename, Taiga recognizes [Coalgirls]_Ore_no_Imouto_ga_Konna_ni_Kawaii_Wake_ga_Nai_10_(1280x720_Blu-ray_FLAC)_[9F175AEB] as being episode 10 from the second season and not from the first season.

EDIT: It's not just episode 10, that one just happens to be the first one that I watched since I moved to Taiga from MAL Updater.
NeeloApr 16, 2014 1:29 PM
Apr 24, 2014 3:41 PM

Apr 2012
Not sure if this had to be here or in features :/

For animes like Black Lagoon, Fate/Zero, Kakumeiki Valvrave, etc. where the second season just continue with the ep number from the last season and not start over the recognition fails if the fansub group left that instead of naming it like it's in MAL.

Said that Kakumeiki Valvrave - 13 is in MAL Kakumeiki Valvrave S2 - 01

Can yo do something about that? is like subtract the number of episodes of the first season and update it in the seccond season.
Apr 24, 2014 5:26 PM

Nov 2009
If I remember correctly, MAL doesn't allow to pull sequel/prequel data from API, so unfortunately there's no way for Taiga to get the necessary information for that. I think several titles are hardcoded to work like this though.
Jun 18, 2014 7:55 AM

Jun 2011
First, I must say that I'm glad that Taiga recognizes "[" and "]" as delimiters which allows Chinese sub groups formats to be recognized. But here are a few that doesn't work.

File name: "[異域字幕組][漆黑的子彈][Black Bullet][11][1280x720][繁体].mp4"
Expected result: Black Bullet Episode 11 by 異域字幕組
Observed result: Media nor recognized. 漆黑的子彈 Episode 11 by 異域字幕組
Adding 漆黑的子彈 as an alternative title works. However, I don't understand why it doesn't recognize "Black Bullet."

File name: [AoJiaoZero][Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to the Animation] 02 [BIG][X264_AAC][720P].mp4
Expected result: Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to the Animation Episode 02 by AoJiaoZero
Observed result: Media nor recognized. 02 by AoJiaoZero
Could not find a alternative title that works except the entire file name.
Jul 6, 2014 1:04 PM
Feb 2012
A problem recognizing a few files this season for the "Futsuu no Joshikousei ga [Locodol] Yatte Mita." anime

For example, FFF's torrent is named

[FFF] Futsuu no Joshikousei ga [Locodol] Yatte Mita. - 01 [BAD09C76].mkv

but Taiga recognizes the type as "Other", the title as

Futsuu no Joshikousei ga
and doesn't detect the episode number. Same for DeadFish's release.
Jul 6, 2014 10:43 PM

Nov 2007
LordGravewish said:
A problem recognizing a few files this season for the "Futsuu no Joshikousei ga [Locodol] Yatte Mita." anime

For example, FFF's torrent is named

[FFF] Futsuu no Joshikousei ga [Locodol] Yatte Mita. - 01 [BAD09C76].mkv

but Taiga recognizes the type as "Other", the title as

Futsuu no Joshikousei ga
and doesn't detect the episode number. Same for DeadFish's release.

Brackets are normally used as grouping delimiters that separate release information from anime title and episode number. In this case, "[Locodol]" is a part of the anime title, which throws off Taiga's filename parser. But here's the good news: Taiga's going to switch to Anitomy in v1.2, which is able to tolerate this error. I've just tested it, and it correctly parsed FFF's release.

Shih said:
First, I must say that I'm glad that Taiga recognizes "[" and "]" as delimiters which allows Chinese sub groups formats to be recognized. But here are a few that doesn't work.

File name: "[異域字幕組][漆黑的子彈][Black Bullet][11][1280x720][繁体].mp4"
Expected result: Black Bullet Episode 11 by 異域字幕組
Observed result: Media nor recognized. 漆黑的子彈 Episode 11 by 異域字幕組
Adding 漆黑的子彈 as an alternative title works. However, I don't understand why it doesn't recognize "Black Bullet."

File name: [AoJiaoZero][Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to the Animation] 02 [BIG][X264_AAC][720P].mp4
Expected result: Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to the Animation Episode 02 by AoJiaoZero
Observed result: Media nor recognized. 02 by AoJiaoZero
Could not find a alternative title that works except the entire file name.

In the first case, since all tokens are grouped inside brackets, Taiga has to make an assumption. So it assumes that the first one is the fansub group and the second is the anime title. In the second case, since there is something outside brackets, Taiga thinks that it must be the anime title. This is another example of a bad naming convention.
Jul 11, 2014 11:27 PM

Oct 2006
Thats weird, when I first started P4Golden Taiga didn't recognize it and I had to tick the checkbox "Use the first alternative Title" and added "Persona 4 - The Golden Animation" to the textbox
Here's the file name: [HorribleSubs] Persona 4 - The Golden Animation - 01 [720p].mkv
I'm running on JP locale, maybe it had something to do with that..or I don't know, maybe it was by chance that Taiga didn't recognized it.

Jul 13, 2014 3:23 PM
Dec 2012
Sakimichi said:
[HorribleSubs] Persona 4 - The Golden Animation - 01 [720p].mkv

MAL doesn't have the dash in the name, that's probably the problem.
Jul 14, 2014 12:29 AM

Nov 2007
That can't be the problem, because Taiga ignores whitespace, dashes, and even "The". Both titles are converted to "Persona4GoldenAnimation" before comparison. So, adding "Persona 4 - The Golden Animation" as an alternative title doesn't make any difference. My system locale is set to Japanese too, so that can't be it either. The only thing that I can think of is that the anime wasn't in your list before you first started watching it, otherwise I don't see any reason for it to be not recognized.
Jul 14, 2014 12:56 PM

Nov 2008
This program seems to have trouble recognising anime folder names.

For example, in one of my specified anime folders there is a folder called:

"Seirei no Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit (Dual-Audio)[720p] mHD"

The anime name is Seirei no Moribito, and it is clearly a part of the folder's name, so why isn't it recognised? Or it only works for exact 1 to 1 matches?
Jul 15, 2014 1:26 AM

Nov 2007
It has to be an exact match. Think about it: If not, how would Taiga distinguish all the anime that have similar titles? There are lots of them out there, partially matching another. Taiga doesn't assume that "Seirei no Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit" is the same as "Seirei no Moribito", because there could very well be another anime with that name.

In this case, you should either rename the folder or add "Seirei no Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit" as an alternative title for the series. Same thing goes for filenames: For "Moribito Ep.01.mkv" to be recognized, you'll need to add "Moribito" as an alternative title. Basically, when the alternatives provided by MAL aren't enough, you need to add your own.
Jul 15, 2014 6:32 PM

Oct 2006
erengy said:
That can't be the problem, because Taiga ignores whitespace, dashes, and even "The". Both titles are converted to "Persona4GoldenAnimation" before comparison. So, adding "Persona 4 - The Golden Animation" as an alternative title doesn't make any difference. My system locale is set to Japanese too, so that can't be it either. The only thing that I can think of is that the anime wasn't in your list before you first started watching it, otherwise I don't see any reason for it to be not recognized.

I forgot, when the first episode was subbed, P4G wasn't listed on MAL. That was probably the cause. ^^
I remembered it wasn't listed because I did a search and nothing came up, I searched again a couple of hours after and the results appeared.

Sep 3, 2014 6:40 AM

Oct 2007
I don't mind using the manual alternative titles feature, but "Akame ga Kill" does not get recognized, simply because the `!` is missing from the file name. Personally I find this perhaps a little bit much, to risky to change this because it will screw up on shows with multiple seasons?

Going through my list a bit, Taiga will recognize a preview video as an actual episode, this can easily be blacklisted by checking for certain combinations like "_pv_", "[pv]" and "preview", 3 tags that will filter out a lot of these cases.
In a program of my own I got a function that checks for this, it takes the file name with all _ instead of spaces, and then checks for combinations like the few above, and some more, if I remember correctly. But the principle remains the same, filtering a few tags we know are not suppose to be recognized as episodes in the first place.

I doubt either of these will see change, specially the first. But posting anyway for knowledge sake.
Sep 3, 2014 6:52 AM

Mar 2014
Zenas said:
I don't mind using the manual alternative titles feature, but "Akame ga Kill" does not get recognized, simply because the `!` is missing from the file name. Personally I find this perhaps a little bit much, to risky to change this because it will screw up on shows with multiple seasons?

Going through my list a bit, Taiga will recognize a preview video as an actual episode, this can easily be blacklisted by checking for certain combinations like "_pv_", "[pv]" and "preview", 3 tags that will filter out a lot of these cases.
In a program of my own I got a function that checks for this, it takes the file name with all _ instead of spaces, and then checks for combinations like the few above, and some more, if I remember correctly. But the principle remains the same, filtering a few tags we know are not suppose to be recognized as episodes in the first place.

I doubt either of these will see change, specially the first. But posting anyway for knowledge sake.

A good way to get rid of the PV altogether is to increase the time that Taiga takes to update to like 10 minutes, this way previews or music videos will never mess with your list.
And yes, that's the reason why the first thing you mentioned is that way, it's quite annoying but it's better for the user to change that manually themselves than to go through every anime with a symbol and somehow change the titles to fit everyone's preferences.
Sep 3, 2014 9:33 AM

Oct 2007
You missunderstood my point, I meant the recognition when trying to play an episode from my list.

For example, I have (the original) Rozen Maiden in my PtW list, but Taiga recognizes I have episode 3 on my hard drive.. which by the way, I don't actually have. When I try to play the episode, it opens up the preview of Rozen Maiden S3 from last year.

Hens my suggestion to add a small filter, which shouldn't impact performance by more then a incomparable low margin, filtering out previews from being recognized.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» any new news on Taiga working?

xDreww - Nov 23, 2019

5 by cHowaito »»
Jul 28, 2021 6:25 AM

Sticky: » Bug reports, general problems ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

erengy - Jun 3, 2010

1122 by DeFF »»
Jun 23, 2021 10:53 PM

» Dark theme?

Hyoretsu - Dec 12, 2019

1 by Squirt_lel »»
Jul 14, 2020 6:59 AM

» Error when synchronizing list (Since MAL API Update)

dadnaya - May 24, 2018

20 by xDreww »»
Nov 23, 2019 5:47 PM

» Twitter posting

zatinho - Mar 27, 2019

0 by zatinho »»
Mar 27, 2019 5:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.