Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (16) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 2, 2010 11:29 AM

Feb 2008
when everyone insists that the main character has to save the day even though there are several people standing around twiddling their thumbs that could do it better and faster. prime example would be the entire shinigami arc of Bleach. the cat could have saved the girl in like 20 mins without a single battle, but instead they waste an entire season on buffing up Ichigo, using insanely dangerous training techniques with serious long-term side effects and multiple artificially prolonged near-death battles with half the city's population :/
Jun 2, 2010 3:07 PM
Jun 2010
there's one people didn't mention:

the "saved-from-the-more-powerfull-enemy-by-a-random-allie-1-second-before-death" situation, which happens a lot in fighting anime (ehmmmebleachehemm)

Jun 2, 2010 3:38 PM
Feb 2010
I forgot to mention a cliche in my first post.

When people in a fight get stronger after they take tons of damage or when they're half-dead.
Jun 3, 2010 11:03 AM

May 2008
MisterSaito said:
moeshit

absolutely right.

plus: fanservice - c'mon, don't do it just because you don't have a plot.
90% of Anime is shit, but then, 90% of everything is shit.
Jun 3, 2010 11:06 AM

May 2008
Tecu said:
The ending in Claymore

Claymore didn't end, the manga is still publishing, and if you're talking about the anime, well, it was made up by someone stupid, not the author.
90% of Anime is shit, but then, 90% of everything is shit.
Jun 3, 2010 11:08 AM
May 2010
tsundere is overused cliche in romance and drama
icekatana8825 said:
SEE THE INVISIBLE TOUCH THE UNTOUCHABLE
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER
Jun 3, 2010 9:47 PM

Jan 2009
Mithrandir said:
Memory loss. Every second show has some character suffering from freakin memory loss.

This, its not limited to anime either lots of games and movies do it too. :/
Jun 3, 2010 10:09 PM

Jan 2010
garridy said:
Mithrandir said:
Memory loss. Every second show has some character suffering from freakin memory loss.

This, its not limited to anime either lots of games and movies do it too. :/

That's true. It is a very popular plot device for several reasons.
1) It gives the author a "legitimate" reason to explain everything about the world of the story, because the character doesn't know anything and needs lots of explanations to know what's going on.
2) Easy source of conflict. All stories need some sort of conflict, and having amnesia brings up lots of questions. Why doesn't he remember anything? What happened in his past? Who are all these mysterious people that are after him that he doesn't remember? How many vague plot points about the character's past will come up that will never be fully resolved? (Okay, we don't ask that last one, but probably should. It does make me wonder if the amnesia plot is so often used because the writers don't even *know* the character's background, and so they can find out for themselves AS THE SERIES IS PLAYING OUT. Or not find out. Because they can't think of anything good.)
3) Character sympathy. We can all imagine what it would be like to not remember anything. It's an easy way to make us care about a character. Also, these characters are usually orphans as a bonus.
4) Makes characters "cool" and "mysterious."

Granted, sometimes the amnesia plot point can be done very, very well. Extremely well. But it is used SO much. Video games, books, anime, movies... It's everywhere.
Jun 4, 2010 12:03 AM
Oct 2009
Unrealistic breast sizes. Enough said.
Jun 4, 2010 4:24 AM

Jan 2010
raidos said:
Unrealistic breast sizes. Enough said.

Yeh, but people tend not to complain about that one :P
Jun 4, 2010 4:29 AM

Apr 2010
Spiky haired shonen lead who always says "I'll protect you!"
Jun 4, 2010 4:39 AM
Jul 2018
die shounen die and brutal tsunderes
removed-userJun 4, 2010 4:44 AM
Jun 4, 2010 4:42 AM

Dec 2009
Most of the stuff that happens in anime like Bleach, Naruto etc.
Jun 4, 2010 4:42 AM
Nov 2008
dancu said:
one that is getting used alot is the weak guy getting into pervy situations by accident and then getting pummeled.
damn it admit is already you wanted to grab her boobs and you enjoyed your face landing in between her legs and seeing her panties.
be honest
then get your butt whoop

Was going to say this... It's not funny anymore to me, I've seen it a million times it seems!
Jun 4, 2010 4:53 AM

Aug 2009
Moe, lolis and fanservice, annoying as shit.

A man of few words.
Jun 4, 2010 5:10 AM

May 2010
An untalented person who merely work hard somehow manages to beat talented people.
“My abusive language is alchemized through 40kg of copper, 25kg of zinc, 15kg of nickel, 15kg of ice that keeps my cool, and 97kg of pure spite” - Senjougahara Hitagi

Games Room's badge
Jun 4, 2010 5:13 AM
Aug 2009
The overly sweet girl who devotes her life for others, and she never complain or gets mad at something.
When the main character get worshiped for how awesome he/she is.
Jun 4, 2010 7:50 AM
Oct 2009
Even if it's not in anime I always hate when someone trips and falls while being chased or scared.
Jun 4, 2010 7:51 AM

May 2010
papapapuffy said:
Even if it's not in anime I always hate when someone trips and falls while being chased or scared.

That's like repetitively done in the Ouran High School Host Club lol
“My abusive language is alchemized through 40kg of copper, 25kg of zinc, 15kg of nickel, 15kg of ice that keeps my cool, and 97kg of pure spite” - Senjougahara Hitagi

Games Room's badge
Jun 4, 2010 7:54 AM

Aug 2009
I dunno... I kinda like cliches.
Jun 4, 2010 9:10 AM
Mar 2010
javy_ said:
I absolutely hate moe. I never understood the attraction towards these types of shows

Moe~~ Cute.
Jun 4, 2010 10:05 AM

Mar 2005
screambloodygore said:
Spiky haired shonen lead who always says "I'll protect you!"

This.

- And the "new exchange student who got into your class" thing.
- Fanservice.
- Weak, clingy, damsel-in-distress females.
- Typical harem lead.
seifJun 4, 2010 10:14 AM
Jun 4, 2010 10:13 AM
Jun 2010
about 99% of "Evil Characters" are overconfident maniacs who wants to control the whole world for some illogical reason (sometimes, no reason at all)

Jun 4, 2010 3:20 PM

Jan 2010
- moe =_=
''The tsundere childhood-friend is immensely overused'' this too.
dancu said:
one that is getting used alot is the weak guy getting into pervy situations by accident and then getting pummeled.
damn it admit is already you wanted to grab her boobs and you enjoyed your face landing in between her legs and seeing her panties.
be honest
then get your butt whoop
THIIS D:
Jun 4, 2010 3:33 PM

Nov 2009
Oh, there are so much, so much xD. But they're not a reason to stop watching anime. The cliches are far from annoying me to the point of wanting to stop once and for all, and curse, and kill myself xD.
Jun 4, 2010 4:13 PM

Jun 2010
I hate it when funny Anime get sentimental in the end. It just doesn't fit and destroys my opinion of the anime dramatically.
Jun 4, 2010 4:17 PM

Dec 2009
I don't watch enough of a single type of anime to every let cliche or repeat themes, character types, personality traits, etc. bother me. You can look at my MAL update history and see I tend to bounce around to avoid these things getting old.

Don't watch 5 romantic comedies in a row and you will be find.
Jun 4, 2010 4:35 PM

Jan 2010
The good guy always win-thing. It pisses me off! I get that having an ending where the good guy dies and the world is taken over by the villain is arguably uninteresting. But, can you name 5 animes where the bad guy wins? I don't think you can, and if you can.. Well, in my defense I haven't watched that much anime. >.>
Jun 4, 2010 5:01 PM

Nov 2009
holypoop said:
The good guy always win-thing. It pisses me off! I get that having an ending where the good guy dies and the world is taken over by the villain is arguably uninteresting. But, can you name 5 animes where the bad guy wins? I don't think you can, and if you can.. Well, in my defense I haven't watched that much anime. >.>

I so agree. I'm dying to see an anime, or anything else for that matter, where the bad guy wins!
Jun 4, 2010 5:23 PM

Jun 2009
Kuromii said:
The "I've loved you my whole life, even though you're an arrogant foulmouthed pervert who couldn't give a damn about me" thing that a huge chunk of anime girls seem to have going for the lead male.

Also when a guy genuinely accidently does something that embarrasses the girl and she smacks him because of it - anyone with a braincell or three could see it was an accident.

That's mostly seen in shojo anime/manga and i'm getting EXTREMELY tired of seeing the female lead falling in love with some arrogant twat.

I'm also really pissed off of seeing that as well. i think it's the creators way attempt at comedy, well if that's the case, they must have a horrible and shallow sense of humor.
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Jun 4, 2010 5:28 PM
May 2010
holypoop said:

I think the best option is killing off the protagonist off, in a blaze of glory where he saves the world before he dies.

This happens all the time, however, the protagonist never seems to actually die.
Jun 4, 2010 5:36 PM

Jan 2010
-Annoyingly overconfident loud mouth protagonists.
-Perverted old men.
-Overuse of flashbacks
-Weak, useless female characters.
-Fanservice at really inappropriate times.
-Characters that eat really fast.
-Harem anime and every cliche related to them.
-School settings and every cliche related to them.
-Antagonists that never die or never stay dead.
-When characters explain exactly what we just saw someone do in a fight right after they do it.
IllacrimoJun 4, 2010 5:40 PM
Jun 4, 2010 6:01 PM

May 2010
I hate 5 minute recaps at the beginning of every episode.
Jun 4, 2010 7:51 PM

Feb 2010
I get annoyed when an anime's plot involves a character who lost their memory and try to get it back or any other variation of that.
Jun 4, 2010 7:54 PM

Jun 2009
AirStyles said:
"I can kill you today, but we'll postpone this fight so you can train up and kill me" plot.

or

"Looks like I'm forced to use "that move"" plot.

lol i agree, naruto, bleach.
Jun 4, 2010 8:43 PM
Mar 2010
nosebleeds - or passing out right before it is getting interesting -.-'
Jun 4, 2010 9:12 PM

Jun 2010
Bad guys that tell the MC their life story before they are going to kill them why? Kill them and be done with it!
The male lead having all these women and never doing "bad things" with any of them!
The female lead who has to have the guy save them everytime from some bad guy(yuuki from vampire knight comes to mind.) Your a vampire hunter do something!
Jun 4, 2010 9:48 PM

May 2010
For the first one, jenjen...the writers do this to show the audience that the character doesn't want to kill the MC "just cause". "Evil because you're evil" tends to make people go, "Yeah right". This makes the antogonist seem human. It's just sad that the writers couldn't humanize the antogonists beforehand and not do it in the middle of a battle, so I feel you there.

Your second one: The male lead is almost always a pure spirit, and thus would never rape/get intimate with their women.

Your third: All females have a (atleast) subconscious notion that they are inferior to men. It has been programmed in their brains for atleast 12,000 years, ya know. So when they're in trouble and don't have much time to think, their first reaction is to hide behind a man. Though I do admit, this has been done way too many times and most people want unique badass characters.
Jun 5, 2010 12:33 AM
May 2010
1. female characters who are useless

2. Main characters giving out speeches of justice to their enemies
characters with some hidden power that was never explained

3. Main male character is pimping main female characters; and the female characters like the main male character for stupid reasons
Jun 5, 2010 11:56 AM

May 2010
Shojo Cliches~
-a couple starts dating and some childhood friend comes back to claim the guy/girl
-popular girls in school beat up the heroine (just pisses me off)
-main lead is a crybaby and can't handle her own problems and always depending on her boyfriend
-love triangles: when the lead girl can't choose which guy she likes more (JUST CHOOSE A FRIGGIN' GUY ALREADY DUMBASS) *head explodes*
I'm done...for now
*picks up peices of head on floor*
I am apart from everything and a part of everything.

Frozen Fire, Tim Bowler
Jun 5, 2010 12:30 PM

Dec 2009
Divinity_123 said:
Becoming best friends with your enemy after you whoop their ass just doesn't make sense to me...at all.

^ true. It's just messed up.
Jun 5, 2010 1:10 PM

May 2010
Overly-predictable shoujo. When there's a main guy and girl that hate each other but are oh-so-obviously going to get together, or maybe stuff like the childhood friend gets together with the main character who is rejected by everyone else.

Also, the main character who everyone thinks is so cool but really they're not or have some deep condition or something (for example, the main character of Shugo Chara! and Loveless).

As stated above, I agree with perverted old men and the good guy always winning.
Jun 5, 2010 1:43 PM

Dec 2009
Gaining a major power-up in the middle of a hopeless fight that allows the main character to defeat the villain.

Random characters pulling off some ridiculously powerful attack AFTER stating that they've already run out of strength and are exhausted.

The rest have already been stated.
Jun 5, 2010 8:06 PM

Dec 2009
holypoop said:

5 Huh?

MysteicJun 5, 2010 8:16 PM
Jun 6, 2010 12:52 AM

Feb 2008
reviving dead characters and normal boy wakes up by his hot/cute childhood friend.
Jun 6, 2010 1:06 AM

Mar 2009
netripper said:
The "love and friendship always destroy evil" thing..

Jun 6, 2010 1:51 AM
May 2010
Ullus said:
Moe, lolis and fanservice, annoying as shit.

No, just....no
icekatana8825 said:
SEE THE INVISIBLE TOUCH THE UNTOUCHABLE
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER
Jun 6, 2010 7:07 PM

Jan 2010
Mysteic said:

Jun 7, 2010 1:33 AM

Apr 2010
as anime loves to recycle character types, there are many cliched characters that get on your nerves very fast... but im not gonna go into great detail on the different kinds i hate.

The cliche that i hate the most however, is the prevalence of poor endings in comedies (mostly harems acctually). Ok, occasionally you'll get a slightly more serious toned one like shuffle, and the main character will ACCTUALLY PICK A GIRL (spoilers?) and the ending will be worth the wait. But for the most part... a comedy will end on a rather un-rewarding note... leaving the viewer with a sad and unsatisfied feeling... like playing a long game of chess, only to have the game cut short by a outside disturbance before you could get your last turn and checkmate his king... You know its ended, and it all seems there, but you didn't get that final piece of acomplishment, that little bit extra that tells you "There is nothing left to tell", and instead leaves an opening to a sequel that will never be made...
Jun 7, 2010 9:07 AM

Jan 2010
Mysteic said:
holypoop said:

5 Huh?

Maybe I should rephrase what I said. I have yet to witness an anime were the bad guys win.
Pages (16) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

51 by EastIndiaCompany »»
15 seconds ago

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 5 hours ago

8 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
2 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

98 by traed »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

75 by Kundi-Man »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

37 by Konan_Edogawa_ »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.