MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Anime clichés that you hate, please provide reasons other than the fact it is overused.
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Anime clichés that you hate, please provide reasons other than the fact it is overused.

Pages (35) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
06-01-10, 3:48 PM

Everyone who has any kind of awarness and normal level of criticism towards anime has one or few cliches you hate, be it a typical cliché in shonen anime or a phrase like: "You just have to believe in yourself and it makes you stronger". I think everybody ought to catch the point out of this incredibly short explanation. Sorry if this thread exists already, couldn't find it atleast.

So clichés that I hate are:

1) Markmanship of the antagonists goons. You know them the faceless nameless minions who are absolutely hopeless. There are 100 of them but they can't hit the protagonists even if they are running in an open area and not even evading the bullets and these minions are using machine guns.. Just who hires these idiots?! Even I'd do better alone that what most of these goons can do in groups of 20 and these guys should be somekind of pros to be hired.

2) Persevarance of protagonists. It takes one shot in a belly to get rid of a enemy pawn, but soldiers like Guts from Berserk don't go down from just 20 or 30 arrows and sword slashes. An arrow or two which normally kill enemy soldier even though they'd hit in a foot, don't mean a thing, good man boobs stop any arrow.

3) The secret move which is used when the hero or the antagonist is just about to lose, he reveals a secret move which he came up just a second ago or before battle but for some reason didn't use it at first.

4) Idiotic enemy bosses. Like in the Bleach, they intentionally want to train their enemies by sending minions stronger by the step which heroes defeat with difficult and gain new level. For example in Bleach Arrancar section, why the hell did they send some noob espadas to Karakura City and not from 1 to 4 when they could have easily kicked every1s ass.

Im more than excited to hear what bugs you the most, phrases are welcome as well, but propably cliches such as my examples would be better.
Modified by Tachii, 05-01-13, 6:22 AM

“Human nature denies the past in order to justify the present. But do you believe there is anything in the present worth justifying?”

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

06-01-10, 3:52 PM

Completely oblivious to affection characters. It's very annoying and hinders any thought process that goes on in the creators of the show. [opinion]Seriously, the more interesting parts happen when we see an actual couple interact.[/opinion]

06-01-10, 3:53 PM

moeshit

06-01-10, 3:58 PM

"I can kill you today, but we'll postpone this fight so you can train up and kill me" plot.

or

"Looks like I'm forced to use "that move"" plot.

06-01-10, 3:58 PM

Male characters going for girls that care the least about them (in love polygon/harem anime usually).

06-01-10, 3:59 PM

shounenshit

06-01-10, 3:59 PM

AirStyles said:
"I can kill you today, but we'll postpone this fight so you can train up and kill me" plot.

or

"Looks like I'm forced to use "that move"" plot.

Totally agreed..

“Human nature denies the past in order to justify the present. But do you believe there is anything in the present worth justifying?”

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

06-01-10, 4:06 PM

The "I've loved you my whole life, even though you're an arrogant foulmouthed pervert who couldn't give a damn about me" thing that a huge chunk of anime girls seem to have going for the lead male.

Also when a guy genuinely accidently does something that embarrasses the girl and she smacks him because of it - anyone with a braincell or three could see it was an accident.

06-01-10, 4:08 PM
Forum Moderator
exceeding talented characters -These are characters who have never been to the school or trained in said field before and suddenly over the course of 13-26 episodes become the number one of said class or team. Ah, it drives me crazy, I drop anime for this reason.

Can't do anything by myself characters, also know as totally useless characters These are characters who whine nonstop, can not stand doing anything alone and can not fight for themselves.

Freeloaders Characters who serve no purpose in the story except to be dragged around for who knows what reason by the main characters

The unemotional The characters who fake feelings about anything in order to attempt to fit in with the other characters.

Can't think for themselves... Kind of obvious I don't think it requires a description.

Comic Relief Characters I just don't see the point, either work with everyone or get off the show.

Carbon Cutout characters They fit in every anime, they are nothing special and a stock cliche.

I'm sure there are more, this is just what I can come up with right now.

06-01-10, 4:16 PM

Tsunderes. I've yet to find one that I didn't want to punch in the throat.
Shitty male leads. Way too many crappy harem leads out there.
Shitty female leads. I love shoujo, but most shoujo leads are helpless pussies.

06-01-10, 4:19 PM

Crappy Harem Male Leads- None of them are good even Wataru which had a decent personality and intentions but was overall useless (He can't even open a jar) and ended up being a cheerleader of sorts.

06-01-10, 4:21 PM

* The intentional/unintentional tease that pushes the "one person who wants them the most/one person they want to be with" away from them either due to their own shyness, or just to be a spiteful bitch towards their potential love.

* The person who doesn't put too much effort in curing themselves of their stigmas.

* The moeblob who is just too stupid to live.

* The tsundere who's "bitch/angel switch" stays on the "bitch" side for the entire show unless it benefits themselves to be an angel for 5 minutes.

* The hypocrite who believes that they are the most just saint in the world, despite being anything but a saint. The worst is when they think everyone else is wrong because they're too self-righteous to think of anyone elses input as meaningful.

06-01-10, 4:29 PM

The character types.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori

the childhood friend always wins in any harem
the girl with the sword always loses in any harem
whenever people in a fight (especially those who are supposed to be in a hurry to save the world/damsel in distress/dieing friend/etc) stop every few seconds to talk about their childhoods or the fancy move they'll be using in 10 mins or so when they've finished charging it or just continuous over use of the "I am not left handed" trope with detailed explanations included.
badass females that slowly degrade over the course of the series in spite of constant effort and training and eventually (usually) become healers or perpetual damsels in distress while the hero (who's usually a lazy fu*k that never trains) becomes super badass over night and passes them in no time at all, no matter how huge the gap in power was at the start of the series.
whenever everyone on the show loves someone (usually the main character) no matter how little they've done to deserve it and no matter how much they've done to make anyone with half a braincell hate them and view them as an incompetent moron who shouldn't be allowed to continue breathing for sake of humanity.

most of these are shounen cliche's btw

Have to add one more:

Preaching. You know what Shonen animes do. Naruto and Ichigo preach a little to their enemies about justice and how they don't care about someone randoms feelings at all who they self met 1 hour ago and now know everything about them and are so good themself that they can go telling other people how bad they are... That's just too arrogant and annoying, and their words have effect on the enemy by either way:
a) Antagonist shouts: "WHAT DO YOU KNOW!! BLAARGH DIIIE Im too hurt by your justful words, I have to kill youuuuuu!!!"
b) "I don't care... I have nothing good in me, i have no morals or objective Im just so damn evil that I want every1 to suffer, for Im le boréd"

06-01-10, 4:37 PM

Predictable scenarios. Ex:

06-01-10, 4:37 PM

I absolutely hate moe. I never understood the attraction towards these types of shows

06-01-10, 4:39 PM

I dislike when teammates somehow find the time to discuss strategy, history, philosophy, genetics, regrets, sorrows, laments, etc. for what seems like minutes during a life and death struggle with an enemy. And, since evil enemies are so nice, they allow the heroes the chance to talk amongst themselves without taking advantage and attacking during their discussion.

06-01-10, 4:54 PM

NS_Arcane said:
Predictable scenarios. Ex:

I so totally agree with this

06-01-10, 5:01 PM

I think this pretty well sums it up.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.

Pages (35) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices