Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Mar 28, 2013 11:02 AM

Jul 2011
That's all? I expected at least 6 knives.

I love how she killed them, and that she didn't just knock them out or something. She didn't hesitate to kill the rabbit either.

I was certain they sold drugs, never thought of slaves.
Apr 24, 2013 7:58 PM

Mar 2013
Nayah said:
Those rabbits died for nothing.
also if you think about it the girl who was canibalized did too
"Stop whining, all I did was chop off your stupid legs."
May 22, 2013 1:18 PM

Oct 2010
That episode was fantastic. I particularly love how Kino dealt with the slave traders in the end. The dialogue between Hermes and Kino at the end was also one of the highlights. This is exceeding my expectations, and I just hope the series continues the momentum.
May 24, 2013 11:59 AM

Jan 2013
Wow I wasn't expecting THAT from this anime.
Rather great, one of the better episodes of anime I've seen in a while.
Jul 18, 2013 5:19 AM

Jul 2013
Great episode. Very promising and i wouldn't be too surprised if this ends up being one of my favorites anime series.
Jul 22, 2013 12:42 PM

Aug 2011
Just wow. This episode really surprised and disturbed me... Promising anime.
Jul 22, 2013 2:11 PM

Aug 2010
I love the way Kino handled the situation. Kino seems to be well trained. Kino proved to be awesome this episode.

5/5
Sep 29, 2013 3:57 PM

Nov 2011
Looks like human nature is not worthy enough to eat rabbits.
Oct 14, 2013 12:14 PM

Aug 2008
I don't really know about any clear morals to this story, its just some really good food for thought and this episode really had me sit down and think hard about it. You can't just look at the plot/premise of each episode as one big picture and just pull a moral out of that. You have to listen to the individual conversations, absorbing them one by one.

What really struck me was Hermes's last question: "What will you do next time you're faced with such a situation?" And the way Kino responds is a bit ambiguous but it complimented well with my answer to Hermes's question. If such a situation were to ever happen again, I would still have to help those that are in need. Even though something like this happened, there is nothing to learn, there are no morals, in the end we are all just human. You can't allow a potentially innocent person to die just because the last time you tried to help, they ended up turning on you.

The only thing we can do is hope for the best because in the end we are just human.

Another thing that interested me was when Kino said that she ended up helping the humans instead of the rabbits because humans have the potential to help you, but as we have observed at the end, humans also have the potential to hurt you. Just a small connection I made to another dialogue shared between Hermes and Kino.

And a final thing that I noticed was that Kino is a very realistic character, she isn't the chivalrous do-gooder who helps others without anything in return, shes a pragmatic realist who does things just as any normal person would, not like how the average hero of a story would. When the men offered her a ring as a reward, I immediately thought she would turn it down because that is obviously what any generic hero would do. Your average protagonist would do good and expect nothing in return but Kino does have desires and accepts the ring and even plays around with it, wearing it and admiring it. That struck me as a really realistic feature of Kino. And also when she expressed just how scared she was after the fight, it made her even more realistic and down to earth. Just as the story was about to make Kino out to be some calm and collected assassin, she reveals just how scared she was on the inside. That is something I really like about how Kino is portrayed.
FunnymrbunnyOct 14, 2013 12:20 PM
Oct 14, 2013 12:20 PM

Aug 2008
ALSO: I find Hermes's approximate knowledge of many things to be adorable:

"Like... topology?" ".....you mean... telepathy?" "yeah! that!"

"Vanity is not for the likes of mothers?" ".....you mean, charity is not for the sake of others?" "yeah! that!"

xDDDD
Oct 23, 2013 3:18 AM

Aug 2013
*sees Slice of Life tag*
"Oh this must be one of those relaxing "let's go on a journey yay explore!" kind of shows."

*watches episode 1*
"Ooh Kino sure does visit interesting places. It's not as calming as other SoL shows though, it's actually a bit sad now that I think about it."

*watches episode 2*
"..."
"..."
"..."

Wow. By slice of life I guess they meant thought-provoking, reflect on your own life. I didn't expect it to turn out that way. That was heavy. I'm only at episode 2 but I'm ready to give this a 10/10.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Nov 21, 2013 6:03 AM

Jul 2012
I need to confess, this episode caught me with my guard off, never expected that! I think the concept is that in order to help fellow (humans) she ended with the life of various rabbits. For some reason she wanted to keep track of it, hanging their skin in the branch. That moment she told Hermes it was different that if she hunted the rabbit to feed herself (she didn't eat any rabbit they shared with her). Ultimately she understood that we'll always put first our own species, also it's important to note compassion, she had compassion for the men and I think that for the rabbit too, but she took the team of the humans. Hermes could be her consciousness, just theorizing here.
Jan 8, 2014 12:36 AM

Aug 2008
I have to say this episode really combined well the issues of human trafficking, animal hunting as well as the darker side of altruism. It really all mixed up as one in this episode. Great show as well as its simplicity. Kino I think is the only who had the guts to face that kind of fucked up world she traveled around with.
"Everyone wears their own panties inside their heart" - Kousaku Hata

Feb 12, 2014 9:57 PM

Jan 2013
Wow I didn't expect this anime to be this...good. I'm actually pleasantly surprised and now I know why this anime has a 17+ tag.

By reading some of these comments I also just found out Kino was a girl; interesting.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 17, 2014 7:50 AM

May 2013
That was horrible what they did to that girl, those fuckers deserve a much worser death than that...
Apr 23, 2014 10:09 PM
Dec 2012
Episode 2 of Kino's Journey. Well... that was rather depressing.

Outside of the more overt moral of the farmer and the viper, or, in this case, the traveler among wolves in human flesh, or slave traders, is the notion of, well, wolves in human flesh, the reasonings people possess when they provide aid to others. A matter that ultimately boils down to guilt and, consequently, self-interest? A matter of human-inflated egotism, of a inherent, default, objective good of mankind?

Yet when compared to rabbits, these people Kino helped engaged in slave trading, betrayed their benefactor, ate their captive, all acts of the most monstrous kind. Yet, if their tales by the fire are true, they are also undoubtedly human, who are able to laugh and love just as much as we do. How has what they've done good? Does not their actions place doubt on these "objective good of mankind" premise? I mean, the rabbits didn't hurt anyone, and they were slaughtered for sustenance all the same. They died for nothing, ultimately.

On a side note, Kino's undoubtedly faced situations like this before if that knife doubling as a gun has anything to say about anything about her. And yet she travels on and continues to engage with people knowing the risks. But at the same time, she's also careful with how long she engages with them at any one time.

Fun how the meaning of the episode title also ended up being literal.
ZeroReq011Apr 23, 2014 10:15 PM
May 26, 2014 6:46 PM
May 2014
This is one of the greatest episodes of anything, ever. Damn, chills all over.
I don't believe in opinions. But you're entitled to if you want.

'Only a sith lord deals in absolutes.'
-A Hypocrite
May 30, 2014 10:33 PM

Nov 2012
RangFlash said:
This was one of the most memorable and thought-provoking episodes of an anime I'd ever seen.
^This,so very much so.This just blow episode 1 away.Seems this might possibly being the next 10 on my list.

Those rabbits died in vain.

Poor girl.I suspected they were human traffickers and thought of the possibility of them being cannibals but didn't expect them to go that far.

Personally I think they deserved a worst off death like starvation or hypothermia,which every came first.
Jun 5, 2014 11:13 PM

Sep 2013
Really enjoyed this episode. Very thought provoking.

I think a big part of this episodes message is that, good deeds are only done when the person expects a reward of some sort, not necessarily jewels or other valuables.

A big thing with this episode though, is that despite the fact she very clearly knows she killed 3 rabbits for the sake of 3 cannibalistic slave traders who inevitably died by her hands in the end. She looks back and realizes, even if I came across the same situation, I likely would do the exact same thing again. At least that is what I got out of it.

The rabbits cannot give anything back for letting them live, and people kill rabbits all the time for dinner. The moment she was given a valuable, she realized, okay, these rabbits are not dying for nothing, but as soon as she realized her greed made her kill more rabbits for the sake of nothing, she just couldn't help but be disgusted by it.

I also can't help but feel she wasn't too saddened by the girl who died, as she stated before, "I realize my health comes at the cost of an animals life" Well what if that other life is another human? Is there a difference there? All in all, very fantastic episode.
Jun 18, 2014 1:42 PM

Mar 2012
Wait, Kino is a girl? lol I soooo thought they were a dude lol

I liked this episode a lot more then the first
Jun 19, 2014 3:10 PM

Nov 2012
Liked this episode too, but unlike most of the people here -which i think prefers this episode to the first one, i think- i liked the first episode better. at first i gave it 5/5 but i thought about it, i think it deserved 4/5 from me. doesn't matter, good episode anyway.

And that twist -i don't know if it's supposed to be really a twist- was totally obvious, doesn't decrease the value of the message though.
Drastic-MeasureJun 19, 2014 3:19 PM
Aug 2, 2014 2:49 AM

Aug 2012
I was surprised by the bitterness of the episode. Also didn't think she'd kill the thugs.
I don't think Kino holds resentment, surely she understands it's the way their country works and they are not to be judged for that.
"If you happen to come across this same situation again, what will you do next time?" It all comes down to the willingness to accept risks. It takes courage to trust.
Aug 3, 2014 9:02 PM

Dec 2012
LolitaDecay said:
Nayah said:
Those rabbits died for nothing.
I agree. I love how they subtley put across Kino's thoughts without words. That's something really special.
Aug 3, 2014 9:21 PM

Dec 2012
3 rabbit skins.. am I to assume she spent 3 days there?

"These things will always happen, because we're only human."

Indeed, we all do what we can to survive.
Aug 22, 2014 9:35 PM

Nov 2013
After watching this episode I really wish I could just give Kino a hug... :(

Dec 2, 2014 6:20 AM

Jul 2012
This was a definite improvement over the first episode, which I found rather weak. Guess I'll stick with this show a little longer.
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
Mar 18, 2015 6:23 AM

Dec 2013
Whoa, who would've thought an anime with such a nice, cheerful OP would get so dark. Good episode.
Apr 6, 2015 11:18 PM

Sep 2013
Had the feeling it would be slave-traders. Oh well.
Apr 15, 2015 5:59 AM

Apr 2013
Well, I didn't expect this episode to deal with something I was already thinking about just before I watched it, but that made it all the more interesting for me.

Kino decides that she would help the men because she believes that if someone else were in the same situation, they would do the same out of fear for someone else not helping them. I would help them out as well, because if I were to think, "Well, if I get into that situation, somebody will help me - I don't want to help these guys out though", what stops the person from not deciding the same thing when they want to save me? Basically, if everyone thought, "I'd like the same thing to be done to me if I were in a similar situation, so I'll do this even if I don't want to", everyone would be helped in their time of need.

The three men also had the chance to help out someone (Kino) or go after their own interests, but they decided to pursue their own interests because of their 'wolves will be wolves' mentality. With that assumption, they consequently assume that there are also 'sheep will be sheep', or people who will help other people out will always exist, and that they don't have to help anyone. They are the kind of people who wouldn't help Kino out; they would look after their own interests, not believing in any sort of karma or just rejecting it because they believe that others would fear karma and help them out. It's a bit difficult to explain, but oh well.

I thought a bit about this episode, was an interesting one. I think that's pretty much the theme they were going for.
May 3, 2015 6:07 AM

Dec 2012
This still remains one of the most memorable episodes. I'm surprised that I didn't post my thoughts from my last rewatch. The one idea that I felt really stood out this time as opposed to before is that humans are not obligated to reciprocate compassion when receiving it. It shows that there are many who will prioritize self interest even in the face of selflessness.

Three rabbits for three wolves. My thoughts on the lives of the rabbits and wild life in general mirror Kino's. Looking at it now, this episode might have been the first time that I had stopped to ponder the value of life that wasn't human. As of now, I greatly respect and honor the bounty animals provide and strongly believe hunting should only be out of necessity, never sport.
Jun 17, 2015 6:35 PM

Jan 2013
I feel sad for the rabbits :(
Had a feeling they were going to betray her, especially when they were being secretive about what they were specializing in.

Anyway, better than the first episode, we finally get to see Kino in action with her pistols (which was amazing)
Sep 18, 2015 8:33 PM

Jul 2015
It snows...
It covers up and hides things.
Beautiful quote right there.
Nov 26, 2015 10:24 PM

Nov 2014
Wow this show is a gem.

Dec 1, 2015 7:06 AM

Jan 2014
Kino is a girl?
Wow... didn't know that o.O
Jan 17, 2016 7:04 PM

Dec 2012
I'm now sold on this show, damn Kino is a badass
Jan 24, 2016 6:48 AM

May 2014
This episode really drew me in. Should have chosen the bunnies I guess, Kino :(
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Feb 6, 2016 9:10 AM

Sep 2014
DAMN those disgusting cannibals. They were lower than bugs. I'm happy they're all dead.
Feb 6, 2016 1:39 PM

Jan 2015
I liked the episode and the last one. They were both thought provoking and so calm. It almost reminds me of Mushishi.
Feb 6, 2016 1:56 PM

Dec 2015
The ending always hits me hard when she turns to look at the 3 rabbit skins before leaving.
Mar 2, 2016 9:11 PM

Aug 2013
Way better then the first episode, nice twist with a fairly bitter sweet ending.
Mar 18, 2016 10:45 AM

Jun 2015
That shit was intense. Poor girl and rabbits.
:)
Apr 29, 2016 1:21 PM

Sep 2014
Mikhael04 said:
RangFlash said:
This was one of the most memorable and thought-provoking episodes of an anime I'd ever seen.

^^^ This person is correct.

Very deep, I'm really enjoying this show.

Agreed. I liked the title of the episode and its meaning in the episode. How the business of the men was basically "feeding" off others and in the end they needed to eat them to survive.

Yep.
JuicyBuddha said:
leondunkleyclark said:

Nah, I think it was more questioning the value of life and the motivation/importance of charity. Whether the slave traders owed their lives to Kino, or Kino owed her life to the rabbits, whether it was worth killing to fulfil the obligation she had, and so on.

Incredible ep, I love the way that throughout most of it dialogue didn't seem necessary to get things across.

I loved the honesty of this episode. Kino sees that she's not obligated to the rabbits or the men, and admits that she's only helping one because she may need help in return. I love her detached attitude. So much anime is filled with self-righteousness and moralfaggotry, I cannot express how refreshing it is to see a character like this. *adds Kino to favorites*

I think Kino's emotionlessness makes it possible to throw in lots of morality questions. I loved the part where she said that she did charity not for others but for herself. I don't think it's always like that but it has a very true core and it plays, more or less depending on the person, a part in it.
May 20, 2016 4:44 PM

Feb 2013
Kino the assassin.

I had a feeling those guys were up to no good (thanks episode title!)

Harsh episode compared to the first.
Oct 23, 2016 11:17 AM
Feb 2015
i knew these guys were fishy af
Nov 13, 2016 11:46 PM

Dec 2013
It was obvious those guys were up to no good.

I didn't expect Kino to kill someone in this show.
Nov 15, 2016 9:06 AM

Sep 2015
I have been deceived by this show. I thought it was just going to be a calm yet contemplative slice of life anime about Kino's philosophical journey where we the viewers learn one thing or two from her encounter with another characters; at least this was my impression this anime would gonna be from episode one.

The cruelty and tragic part this episode has shown really got me and just like other said, I certainly can say this is one of memorable anime episode for me. Gave lot of questions to ponder. Also I like how Kino didn't hesitate, not even a little when she blew those slave trader's heads up.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Nov 27, 2016 4:17 PM

Aug 2014
Excellent episode, very atmospheric with good themes.

Deep show.
Feb 5, 2017 4:40 PM

Jan 2012
what's with kino and guns , wanna be a sniper lol , the gun action was pretty good
rip rabbits for nothing
i know they had something up their sleeves
man just take that ring lol

Apr 24, 2017 11:40 AM

Nov 2010
This episode got me interested. very intriguing stuff.
Jun 28, 2017 4:18 PM

Jun 2015
Probably the most interesting thing of the episode were the aesthetics, with its extensive use of whites.

The message or moral conflict presented was rather weak though. Leaving that aside and most importantly, I can't get myself to like those character mechanics between Kino and a talking motorbike because they remind me too much of Ergo Proxy (even tho is that series is which might've gotten it from here).

The fact that almost every comment here seems to seemingly only show love for the episode is rather discouraging.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 12, 2008

85 by paul1990xco »»
Apr 9, 6:05 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 16, 2008

98 by Ratris_Decision »»
Jan 13, 7:14 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Jul 10, 2008

152 by 2life »»
Jan 9, 5:45 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 8, 2008

121 by Ratris_Decision »»
Jan 7, 6:39 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Jul 29, 2008

197 by Toueki »»
Nov 27, 2023 9:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.