Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jun 19, 2014 3:10 PM

Nov 2012
Liked this episode too, but unlike most of the people here -which i think prefers this episode to the first one, i think- i liked the first episode better. at first i gave it 5/5 but i thought about it, i think it deserved 4/5 from me. doesn't matter, good episode anyway.

And that twist -i don't know if it's supposed to be really a twist- was totally obvious, doesn't decrease the value of the message though.
Drastic-MeasureJun 19, 2014 3:19 PM
Aug 2, 2014 2:49 AM

Aug 2012
I was surprised by the bitterness of the episode. Also didn't think she'd kill the thugs.
I don't think Kino holds resentment, surely she understands it's the way their country works and they are not to be judged for that.
"If you happen to come across this same situation again, what will you do next time?" It all comes down to the willingness to accept risks. It takes courage to trust.
Aug 3, 2014 9:02 PM

Dec 2012
LolitaDecay said:
Nayah said:
Those rabbits died for nothing.
I agree. I love how they subtley put across Kino's thoughts without words. That's something really special.
Aug 3, 2014 9:21 PM

Dec 2012
3 rabbit skins.. am I to assume she spent 3 days there?

"These things will always happen, because we're only human."

Indeed, we all do what we can to survive.
Aug 22, 2014 9:35 PM

Nov 2013
After watching this episode I really wish I could just give Kino a hug... :(

Dec 2, 2014 6:20 AM

Jul 2012
This was a definite improvement over the first episode, which I found rather weak. Guess I'll stick with this show a little longer.
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
Mar 18, 2015 6:23 AM

Dec 2013
Whoa, who would've thought an anime with such a nice, cheerful OP would get so dark. Good episode.
Apr 6, 2015 11:18 PM

Sep 2013
Had the feeling it would be slave-traders. Oh well.
Apr 15, 2015 5:59 AM

Apr 2013
Well, I didn't expect this episode to deal with something I was already thinking about just before I watched it, but that made it all the more interesting for me.

Kino decides that she would help the men because she believes that if someone else were in the same situation, they would do the same out of fear for someone else not helping them. I would help them out as well, because if I were to think, "Well, if I get into that situation, somebody will help me - I don't want to help these guys out though", what stops the person from not deciding the same thing when they want to save me? Basically, if everyone thought, "I'd like the same thing to be done to me if I were in a similar situation, so I'll do this even if I don't want to", everyone would be helped in their time of need.

The three men also had the chance to help out someone (Kino) or go after their own interests, but they decided to pursue their own interests because of their 'wolves will be wolves' mentality. With that assumption, they consequently assume that there are also 'sheep will be sheep', or people who will help other people out will always exist, and that they don't have to help anyone. They are the kind of people who wouldn't help Kino out; they would look after their own interests, not believing in any sort of karma or just rejecting it because they believe that others would fear karma and help them out. It's a bit difficult to explain, but oh well.

I thought a bit about this episode, was an interesting one. I think that's pretty much the theme they were going for.
May 3, 2015 6:07 AM

Dec 2012
This still remains one of the most memorable episodes. I'm surprised that I didn't post my thoughts from my last rewatch. The one idea that I felt really stood out this time as opposed to before is that humans are not obligated to reciprocate compassion when receiving it. It shows that there are many who will prioritize self interest even in the face of selflessness.

Three rabbits for three wolves. My thoughts on the lives of the rabbits and wild life in general mirror Kino's. Looking at it now, this episode might have been the first time that I had stopped to ponder the value of life that wasn't human. As of now, I greatly respect and honor the bounty animals provide and strongly believe hunting should only be out of necessity, never sport.
Jun 17, 2015 6:35 PM

Jan 2013
I feel sad for the rabbits :(
Had a feeling they were going to betray her, especially when they were being secretive about what they were specializing in.

Anyway, better than the first episode, we finally get to see Kino in action with her pistols (which was amazing)
Sep 18, 2015 8:33 PM

Jul 2015
It snows...
It covers up and hides things.
Beautiful quote right there.
Nov 26, 2015 10:24 PM

Nov 2014
Wow this show is a gem.

Dec 1, 2015 7:06 AM

Jan 2014
Kino is a girl?
Wow... didn't know that o.O
Jan 17, 2016 7:04 PM

Dec 2012
I'm now sold on this show, damn Kino is a badass
Jan 24, 2016 6:48 AM

May 2014
This episode really drew me in. Should have chosen the bunnies I guess, Kino :(
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Feb 6, 2016 9:10 AM

Sep 2014
DAMN those disgusting cannibals. They were lower than bugs. I'm happy they're all dead.
Feb 6, 2016 1:39 PM

Jan 2015
I liked the episode and the last one. They were both thought provoking and so calm. It almost reminds me of Mushishi.
Feb 6, 2016 1:56 PM

Dec 2015
The ending always hits me hard when she turns to look at the 3 rabbit skins before leaving.
Mar 2, 2016 9:11 PM

Aug 2013
Way better then the first episode, nice twist with a fairly bitter sweet ending.
Mar 18, 2016 10:45 AM

Jun 2015
That shit was intense. Poor girl and rabbits.
:)
Apr 29, 2016 1:21 PM

Sep 2014
Mikhael04 said:
RangFlash said:
This was one of the most memorable and thought-provoking episodes of an anime I'd ever seen.

^^^ This person is correct.

Very deep, I'm really enjoying this show.

Agreed. I liked the title of the episode and its meaning in the episode. How the business of the men was basically "feeding" off others and in the end they needed to eat them to survive.

Yep.
JuicyBuddha said:
leondunkleyclark said:

Nah, I think it was more questioning the value of life and the motivation/importance of charity. Whether the slave traders owed their lives to Kino, or Kino owed her life to the rabbits, whether it was worth killing to fulfil the obligation she had, and so on.

Incredible ep, I love the way that throughout most of it dialogue didn't seem necessary to get things across.

I loved the honesty of this episode. Kino sees that she's not obligated to the rabbits or the men, and admits that she's only helping one because she may need help in return. I love her detached attitude. So much anime is filled with self-righteousness and moralfaggotry, I cannot express how refreshing it is to see a character like this. *adds Kino to favorites*

I think Kino's emotionlessness makes it possible to throw in lots of morality questions. I loved the part where she said that she did charity not for others but for herself. I don't think it's always like that but it has a very true core and it plays, more or less depending on the person, a part in it.
May 20, 2016 4:44 PM

Feb 2013
Kino the assassin.

I had a feeling those guys were up to no good (thanks episode title!)

Harsh episode compared to the first.
Oct 23, 2016 11:17 AM
Feb 2015
i knew these guys were fishy af
Nov 13, 2016 11:46 PM

Dec 2013
It was obvious those guys were up to no good.

I didn't expect Kino to kill someone in this show.
Nov 15, 2016 9:06 AM

Sep 2015
I have been deceived by this show. I thought it was just going to be a calm yet contemplative slice of life anime about Kino's philosophical journey where we the viewers learn one thing or two from her encounter with another characters; at least this was my impression this anime would gonna be from episode one.

The cruelty and tragic part this episode has shown really got me and just like other said, I certainly can say this is one of memorable anime episode for me. Gave lot of questions to ponder. Also I like how Kino didn't hesitate, not even a little when she blew those slave trader's heads up.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Nov 27, 2016 4:17 PM

Aug 2014
Excellent episode, very atmospheric with good themes.

Deep show.
Feb 5, 2017 4:40 PM

Jan 2012
what's with kino and guns , wanna be a sniper lol , the gun action was pretty good
rip rabbits for nothing
i know they had something up their sleeves
man just take that ring lol

Apr 24, 2017 11:40 AM

Nov 2010
This episode got me interested. very intriguing stuff.
Jun 28, 2017 4:18 PM

Jun 2015
Probably the most interesting thing of the episode were the aesthetics, with its extensive use of whites.

The message or moral conflict presented was rather weak though. Leaving that aside and most importantly, I can't get myself to like those character mechanics between Kino and a talking motorbike because they remind me too much of Ergo Proxy (even tho is that series is which might've gotten it from here).

The fact that almost every comment here seems to seemingly only show love for the episode is rather discouraging.
Jun 29, 2017 7:44 AM

Oct 2012
What an opening, RIP Rabbit.. At least you're delicious xD

They can always try again next year, but no.. They tried to "sell" their savior
Oh wow poor "goods" :(

In the end, the rabbits died for nothing
That sucks

Kino should be careful and check them all first before helping them I guess
Kino's world are full of bad people :P
Rayl1ghtJun 29, 2017 7:53 AM
"Signature removed"
Jul 27, 2017 4:45 PM

Nov 2016
I honestly wasn't expecting something like this when I picked up this show, but I really liked it.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 2, 2017 10:12 AM

Jul 2015
Great episode after a pretty meh first one, interesting question about what to do the next time, poor rabbits.

Kino is full of weapons lol, I wonder how her life was before starting to travel.
Aug 5, 2017 10:15 PM

Mar 2016
I have to say, this caught me by surprise. I'm not sure if I like that or not.
"Wonder is always difficult until you forgive whoever destroyed your love of surprises"  Edmond Manning

Aug 27, 2017 2:40 AM

May 2016
My sister would have hated this episode if she watched this series as she loves rabbits. Shame they all died in vain.

The first episode wasn't that great, but this caught me by surprise of how quickly the tone of the episode shifted; from being a good samaratin helping people in need to being forced to kill human traffickers. Just shows that looks can be deceiving and that you can't fully trust anyone. Much like the real world...
Bondrewd did nothing wrong.
Sep 1, 2017 6:55 AM
Jan 2012
I was bothered by the rabbit killing, but I understand it happened to make a point.

The fact those guys were up to no good didn't surprise me, but I didn't expect them to be slave traders nor I expected the ghost of that girl to appear. It seems like those guys ate the humans they were planning to trade. Hopefully that is all they have done to them.

I wonder if the ghost will appear again.
Sep 1, 2017 6:57 AM
Jan 2012
AllenVonStein said:
man just take that ring lol
I am with Kino on not taking the ring. I wouldn't accept anything coming from slave traders.
Sep 1, 2017 7:42 AM
Jan 2012
turkeymeister said:

On another note, did anyone notice how... alien Kino was? She doesn't even think on the same wavelength as most humans.
Yes. She reminds me of Lain. The way she stares at things and her thought process. Very strange, but also somewhat endearing.

I just replied to a post from nearly ten years ago.
Sep 11, 2017 11:04 AM

Sep 2015
I empathize with writers trying to start any story. There's so much to establish and explain. The beginning of many series can be boring until they say what they have to say. And can start telling interesting stories. While I didn't hate the first episode, it didn't blow me away either. Kind of piqued my interest is how I'd put it. But after this episode I'm hooked.

By the end. With all the emphasis on Kino's moral dilemma. About choosing the humans lives over the rabbits she fed them. I fully expected some dark twist. And in the post apocalypse, albeit a version of the post apocalypse that doesn't adhere to normal tropes of the genre. What are they going to be but cannibals or slavers? In this case both. Nonetheless this was slow burning episode, that pulled off its twist ending spectacularly. And ended with a tense flashy action sequence. My kind of self contained adventure. I didn't know this series was going to get so dark. And now I'm excited to see just how dark it gets.

I'll also say Kino seemed a lot more interesting to me this time. Before they seemed like a good hearted kid. Who is full of compassion and wanderlust. But this episode introduced a really cool aspect of her character. Basically painting her as a morally ambiguous survivor. Living by their own code and thinking and acting (for the most part) based on logic and not emotions. I'm really excited for the rest of this series.
Nov 14, 2017 10:53 AM

Oct 2012
Guess the death of those rabbits was in vain afterall.

Bit better than the last episode, with all those implications and such. Was kinda expecting such outcome since Kino met them but it was still kinda unesy to watch that. It's beautiful harsh world then...

Still, althogh the setting is starting to sink in for me by now the main characters are not. Maybe it's because of stoic behavior or monotonous speak but I can't feel anything for Kino right now. And Hermes... well, he may seem like Kino's inner voice in a sense... but still feels pretty redundant and his lack personality doesn't help either. So far I can only see him as a plot device meant to share feelings of Kino with viewers, nothing else.

Also, only now (after looking into characters on anidb) have I realized Kino is actually a girl.. that changes everything I guess. I pretty much wondered why he she wais trying that ring in the tent but in the end I think she's made androgynous on purpose.
Dec 18, 2017 10:15 PM
May 2017
Didn't expect Kino to shoot slave traders in the head. This show is becoming more interesting than I expected.
Dec 21, 2017 8:44 PM
Jun 2013
I was waiting for the twist of them back stabbing her and being awful. They are also pretty stupid I mean its clear they didn't have cargo since they ate all of the people why not just drive away and continue your horrible business. Kino was freaking bad ass in this episode and brutal. The knife part was funny. My god this episode was violent poor poor cargo.
Jan 8, 2018 5:36 PM
Jul 2018
This should have been the first episode. Way more impactful and riveting, and it shows how evil the people of the world can be--therefore fitting the "The world is not beautiful, therefore it is" philosophy more. Plus, the scene where Kino looks back at the three rabbit hides after she killed those evil men--she realized that she just wasted three innocent lives, all to help men who did not deserve it.

Roth said:
LolitaDecay said:
I agree. I love how they subtley put across Kino's thoughts without words. That's something really special.

Exactly my thoughts. This anime knows how to show its themes through subtle gestures. Haven't seen anything like that in a long time.

This episode made me excited to watch more.
May 17, 2018 11:22 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
A slow build up almost to a cautionary tale of sorts. I'd probably be like Kino and help because I'm just that kinda person but I am not door mat and will defend myself.

I didn't see the cannibalism part coming to be honest, I knew it'd be some sort of twist but I didn't call that what so ever.
Sep 18, 2018 6:22 PM
Nov 2017
They got too greedy and paid for it... Kino shows no mercy
Sep 22, 2018 5:52 PM

Sep 2017
Wow. When we learned they were human traffickers I thought back to when they said they had eaten all the cargo... I was still surprised that they showed that. Really interesting and thought provoking episode.
Apr 24, 2019 2:11 PM

Aug 2017
I knew there was something wrong with these guys. Too bad the slaves suffered a horrible death. They were already captured and transported... I think Kino did the right thing and it was self defense nevertheless. The ending was creepy. This anime is really something else. The design makes me think of Kemono no Souja Erin though!
May 17, 2019 5:08 PM

Jul 2016
5/5 - Kino you absolute beauty!
May 17, 2019 5:09 PM

Jul 2016
I was also shocked by the twist at the end, I knew that sh*t was about to go down, but I did not expect this much intensity to be honest.
Jun 10, 2019 9:08 PM

Dec 2016
I knew something was off from the moment I saw those three on screen. That said, there is nothing that particularly hints towards the twist. The atmosphere is well built and it successfully hides traces of danger while creating the illusion of comfort. I liked the usage of light and contrast to build a vivid winter like scenery. The whole 'eating out cargo' turning into something as dark as it was, despite the characters being presented as actual human beings and not caricatures of villains was very nice to witness. Outstanding episode. 'We're only human'.

5/5
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 11, 2008

127 by rainbowScarlet »»
Apr 21, 1:30 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 12, 2008

85 by paul1990xco »»
Apr 9, 6:05 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 16, 2008

98 by Ratris_Decision »»
Jan 13, 7:14 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Jul 10, 2008

152 by 2life »»
Jan 9, 5:45 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 8, 2008

121 by Ratris_Decision »»
Jan 7, 6:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.