MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Improving GESC/GEC
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Club Discussion »» Graphical Effects Contest »» Improving GESC/GEC

Must be a Club Member to Reply
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
05-29-10, 6:39 AM

I think the comic was pretty obvious.

In this thread I would like to hear the opinion of people about our club and our contests.
We would really like to know, why people don't take part in it. We want to hear your honest opinion about it, not matter what it is. If you think the themes are too hard, say so. If you don't like the rules, say so.

We are here to have a fun competition with you guys, and we are ready to change things, if you desire so.
Modified by Kvakond, 05-29-10, 7:17 AM

05-29-10, 7:25 AM

Don't worry, you are doing great job. Themes are usually sick, but people seem to like that.

Although, I think the main "problem" or reason for people not entering is because there are so much competitions going around. It's hard to keep up with every.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

05-29-10, 7:33 AM

SnG said:
Although, I think the main "problem" or reason for people not entering is because there are so much competitions going around. It's hard to keep up with every.
I really don't see how it's hard to keep up with... I mean, you don't have to keep up with Best Sig Dersign or Best Profile. All the GFX and GESC/GEc competitions are on the 1st page in Creative Corner. Current contest is posted in the club, in the mass message. I seriously don't know how else to make it easier, but I'm open for any idea!

05-29-10, 7:52 AM

Well, i enjoy most of the competition theme (although just as SnG said, quite 'sick') but hey, that's the appealing point of GE(S)C ;3

there are sure so many competition on MAL nowadays *points at MAL awards clubs but i don't seem having problem dealing with all of them. usually i just pick which one i think can do good enough then enter~ but maybe that's not the case here.
but maybe the real reason of this club un-activeness was... our lazy nature (heh, just guessing though)

anddd.. the comic on clubs PM makes me wanna have tablet moarrrr ;________; nothing, just forget it.

anyway, Kvakond and nyufi are doing great modding the clubs ^^ is just lot's of member that aren't that active enough on clubs anymore including me orz
hmm... other than that, i pretty blank now so maybe i will post more later

05-29-10, 8:33 AM

@ SnG
Sorry, Kvakond kinda pointed out that maybe you meant that not everyone can enter each contest. If so, then my answer changes to this: We don't want to everyone enter each of our contest (and yeah, you are free to enter GFX also, so we really are not forcing anyone to focus on this one). However half of the people who enter GESC regularly, do enter GFX Challenge at the same time. And 80% of the club doesn't enter any.

As suzuka_pew pointed out, the lack of entries might be beacuse of laziness. If so, any idea how to fight it?

Also, I'm glad you guys think that "we are doing great" although we aren't. Sure, we do get entries, and we actually enjoy the contest, but we want to do better. So please keep the ideas coming!

05-29-10, 12:10 PM
Anime Moderator
<-- is lazy

Other than the above major reason, I think I don't enter because I feel like my work wouldn't be good enough to compete with the peeps that enter almost every time :(

05-29-10, 9:36 PM

SnG said:
Don't worry, you are doing great job. Themes are usually sick, but people seem to like that.

This.
Bleh.

05-29-10, 9:59 PM

On the hard to keep up with topic:
I still don't think that's the main problem, because most people don't enter any contest at all. And what I mainly don't understand, if it's hard to keep up, than why did we have rounds with 20 entries last years? (btw I do think, that it isn't only our problem, GFX Challenge did better before too regarding the number of entries)

Naruleach said:
Other than the above major reason, I think I don't enter because I feel like my work wouldn't be good enough to compete with the peeps that enter almost every time :(

I can't really understand this either. How can someone know that they are not good without entering? Also those guys only enter, because I keep kicking their ass in IRC, since we never have enough entries.

Btw it's good that you guys voice the problems you feel we have, but any ideas on what to change?

05-30-10, 8:54 AM

Just a question, could it be that some people who are for example in sig request club etc. who make a lot of sigs aren't in this club, so that they maybe would enter or that they don't even look into the Creatice Corner and see the threads?

Other than that there isn't really a way to get more contestants other than spamming announcements for the contests in other parts of the forum too. Because we do already everything we (with "we" I mean you) can. We give the winners prize banners, we have new and interestings themes everytime. There is nothing else we could do against the lazyness of other people.

Of course maybe a problem is that some people tried a few contests before, but saw that the same people win most of the time (lets be honest its like that). But of course its everyones right to enter and I don't have anything against it that Talon, Nyufi etc. enter almost all the time, but we can't do anything against that people start to whine cause they don't win and don't enter contests anymore, just give up and don't even try cause they lost numerous times in a row against the same people.

05-30-10, 9:11 AM
Forum Moderator
I think that one barrier is just that people don't feel involved enough to put forth the effort. Perhaps we could encourage more people to hang out in the irc channel, and post more on the comments and to keep the club a bit higher on their club lists. If people can get active in the discussion and get to know others, they are more likely to participate.

05-30-10, 2:02 PM

@ Sunyi:
Yes, you are right. It's not like you're forcing us, or Moony and Meri over in GFX club.

I'd like to add one reason, personal reason, why don't I enter in a lot of GESC contests...
Well, mostly because I rather dislike current theme, or the theme is too hard.

Can't really tell you how to improve everything (because I don't know how, either. xD) but maybe personal thoughts and problems could help you see GESC from other point of view?

... Tell me to STFU, and I will. XD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

05-30-10, 2:05 PM

Luppi said:

Of course maybe a problem is that some people tried a few contests before, but saw that the same people win most of the time (lets be honest its like that). But of course its everyones right to enter and I don't have anything against it that Talon, Nyufi etc. enter almost all the time, but we can't do anything against that people start to whine cause they don't win and don't enter contests anymore, just give up and don't even try cause they lost numerous times in a row against the same people.

This.
How could I forgot that.

It's almost natural for few people to win. Not only GESC, but every contest. GESC, GFX, Icontest, Signature of the month.. same people get nominated/ same people enter and it's almost already normal for same people to win.
That is why some members, I also, half of time just don't even try entering, because I know there will be better entries, and I know that I won't even go to Voting round, not telling about first 5 places.

05-30-10, 2:45 PM

I seriously don't enter every contest, maybe around 20% of em.
currently I'm aparently trolling the contests by entering too late or making joke entries (I call them social experiments, but nobody knows). and as nyufi has said, most of them are last minute entries because I get an asskick due low entry rate, nothing more, nothing less.
@SunyiNyufi: so Dalon doesn't care about the kitty D:
Dalon: 6 lifes to go

BTW. the themes of the GEC contests (without signatures) are all products of sitting in IRC and blabbeling nonsense.
People should just seriously join and blabbel along. I think the more nonsense/input there is, the better the contests are, the more likely people wanna join the madness.

Donate to my awesomeness! | "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

05-30-10, 3:21 PM

SnG said:
It's almost natural for few people to win. Not only GESC, but every contest. GESC, GFX, Icontest, Signature of the month.. same people get nominated/ same people enter and it's almost already normal for same people to win.
There was a time when MAL contests only had one winner and not three, you know. ;D

SnG said:
That is why some members, I also, half of time just don't even try entering, because I know there will be better entries, and I know that I won't even go to Voting round, not telling about first 5 places.
Well maybe if more people would enter for the heck of entering itself and not for winning and getting shiny award banners..

05-30-10, 4:45 PM
Forum Moderator
SunyiNyufi said:
Naruleach said:

I can't really understand this either. How can someone know that they are not good without entering? Also those guys only enter, because I keep kicking their ass in IRC, since we never have enough entries.
Luppi said:
Of course maybe a problem is that some people tried a few contests before, but saw that the same people win most of the time

Looks like there's kind of a catch-22 situation here. If everybody makes entries, people get discouraged because of competition.... but if nobody makes entries, the regulars get recruited to throw something together even when they wouldn't otherwise participate.

Seems like the solution is just to get a little more enthusiasm going. I know the people who don't often post can beat us at least some of the time, and if there's enough entries you'll find that the people with scary art reputations won't participate as often.

05-30-10, 8:06 PM

SnG said:
I'd like to add one reason, personal reason, why don't I enter in a lot of GESC contests...
Well, mostly because I rather dislike current theme, or the theme is too hard.

Can't really tell you how to improve everything (because I don't know how, either. xD) but maybe personal thoughts and problems could help you see GESC from other point of view?

... Tell me to STFU, and I will. XD
We can't really do anything about the GESC themese imho, since it is stuff you guys vote for. And I won't tell you to shut up, since this topic is here for a conversation between adminds and members :)
As for the GEC themes, they might be a bit hard, but as Talon said, they are mostly decided on a whim in IRC channel. So if anyone has an idea, or there is some not-signature type graphic work you would like to do, join us at #banana on the rizon servers :)

SnG said:

(I'm only quoting this part, cos what Luppi said is longer, and this does make the point very well)
I seriously don't understand this.... no okay, I kinda of understand it, but it's really hard for me to relate to it, because it seems like entering a contest is all about winning, while this surely isn't our aim here. And I can tell you, when people from the IRC enter on their own account (meaning not when I kick their asses), the do it, because making an entry is fun. Not because they want to win or anything, they do it because looking for source images, coming up with a concept and making it in PS/Gimp is fun. Seriously, I don't win all the time either, but never felt that entering was just a waste of time. Look at GEC for example, it's something I seriously wanted to do with this club (and I'm glad I did), we have our 4th round now, and I only managed to be in top 3 once. And my fav GEC working isn't that one, I love my Umineko infographics far more (worked on it much more too), but it only got 4th place out of 5- Does it matter? No, because I like what I did, and making it was fun.

Also I believe you guys have a pretty weird concept of our regulars.... like they are superior in skills and such. This is mostly not true, and even for them it takes time to come up with a good idea, and most of them only do last minute entries, because they are not really satsified with their entries before that.

Really Talon is right, join the IRC channel just once, and you will learn the "ugly" truth of our little group.

Edit: Oh yeah, and if you want to improve your skills, but need some helps, we could help you any time in the IRC channel too. Even Talon is willing to share his awesomeness with other people :)
Modified by SunyiNyufi, 05-30-10, 10:12 PM

05-31-10, 7:48 PM

Ok, first off thanks for saying we are doing a good job. As Nyufi said however we don't feel that's the case and think that we could do a lot better. Thus this topic as another step to close the gap between us.

On hard to keep up: in my understanding since we started with GESC, then GEC and Moony and Meri made their Mini Challenge monthly, the number of contests increased 4 times and with so many options each single contest lost some of its appeal as they became just one of many. I certainly lost some of the excitement and the "I can't wait to see next month's challenge" feel, but maybe that's due to being one of the organizers.

Still, I honestly don't think having so many options is a bad thing. I'm rather glad.

Noone expects you to enter all contests every month all year. You don't always have the time, you might not feel like doing graphics right there and then. But if 115 of 120 feels like that for months, we are screwed.

On Naru's point of not being good enough: even if that were true - it isn't - I personally enter almost every contest, gec or gfx challenge to improve, to try out new things. Even if I barely manage to find free time. I think of them as opportunities to get a little better at what I like to do. If I got discouraged every time I didn't make it, I'd be stuck at MS Paint.

On Luppi's idea of promoting: sure thing, we can try spreading the word. I'm just usually cautious not to be too forceful as I myself hate spam and random invites just as much as the next person.

On same people entering and winning: the reason you see always the same people entering is simple. They are the regulars on our IRC channel, thus on Sunday evenings, when we have 1-2 entries before deadline they are the ones we can ask to make something last minute so we can have a contest. We don't like this any more than you and that's why I said many times that GESC isn't the playground of a selected few, we want everyone involved and most importantly having fun.

The reason they win is simple too, they are talented. It makes me motivated to try harder next time, but we are not the same.
I don't have to beg them to enter if they didn't want to, if we get enough entries. Simple solution, not sure we can get out of this cycle just by stating this.

On getting people involved: sure thing. Everyone is welcome on IRC. It's not that complicated to set it up either.
My only idea is that we can post the articles and pics we link on IRC on the club wall too. But whatever you guys feel like. It's not just there for me to post updates.

sorry for the tl;dr
edit: took 1,5 day to post this so sorry if its outdated

06-29-10, 5:27 AM

I don't really think that having a 4th banner is really possible to make now, especially with our current bananers, since a generic one looks empty, and we use the winners for the first 3 places. But if others agree that it will improve the competition, we might be able to come up with something. Opinion, others?

Also, I don't really like the idea of having special banners for regulars (mostly cos it's hard to keep track of it sometimes), but if the others say, it might work, I might agree :P

What I refuse is the guessing-the-winner part. I think thanks to that the voting would end up as a guessing game, instead of just voting for the one you like the best, and would make basically the whole contest pretty pointless imho.

06-29-10, 6:00 AM

Forgive me if I sound harsh but I rather not have people who are only in it for the ****** member or whatever we call it cards.

If any of you want to collect and build walls of scrap, turn into a beaver.

But that's my personal opinion.

06-29-10, 8:10 AM

This was pretty much my first reaction too, but people really love to collect, and the others already said that "why enter if the same people win always", which kinda makes it sound like they would be fine with entering for a banner though... Seriously dunno which side to take...cos I really would like more people to enter, but it really feels like we are bribing people into entering which should not be our purpose :(

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices