Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 10 11 [12]
Mar 22, 2018 4:34 PM

Mar 2016
After suffering pain for a week and after saving the lives of the remaining survivors, Yuzuru died just moments before the rescue team arrived. Those moments are so emotional yet it also anger-inducing. If only the rescue team have come a few minutes earlier... He could've lived on!

On the other side, I am so glad that the good Kanade is the one who woke up! While Yuzuru was regaining his memories, Kanade was battling her evil selves. Also, the way she woke Yuzuru up was cute.

Kanade's motivation is finally clearly revealed... Let's see how they will convince the others.
Apr 15, 2018 3:47 PM

Jun 2017
wow... this was one powerful episode.
May 12, 2018 1:24 AM

Mar 2017
Wait, is it normal to have the organ donor card not filled out beforehand? Like, you don't always have the opportunity to fill it out if you get into an accident. Actually, I'd say in the vast majority of cases you wouldn't have the chance. I got mine filled out beforehand already, did I do that wrong?

For some reason that really bothers me now. It's just so weird. :P

I would also like to retract my statement from an earlier topic. This show is too sappy for me and the drama feels forced. I don't think Angel Beats is "bad"... but for some reason the weird mix of comedy, melodrama and dark stuff doesn't really work for me. I'll probably end up giving the show an average rating, but at least I wasn't bored.
Oct 28, 2018 5:55 PM
Apr 2018
Imo this is the best episode so far but it kinda bothers me that the whole plot could've been avoided if Yuri or whoever was the first one to enter the school had talked to Kanade.
Jan 4, 2019 4:52 PM

Jun 2015
man otonashi's past is saaaad, dude died minutes before he could've been saved. wonder what kanade's is.
Feb 1, 2019 8:01 AM
Apr 2016
DAMNNNNN didn't expect his backstory to actually be bigger, & BETTER, very well done! Good episode.
Sep 4, 2019 8:11 PM

Oct 2013
Naive depiction of a train crash and a rescue mission sent for those who survived, although it was indeed interesting to watch. Still this episode was good to advertise consent to organ transplantation after death.

Good we learned why our main character did not disappear after he found peace, kinda. He needs to help others first. How original and touching.. ;pp
Feb 28, 2020 4:32 PM

Feb 2019
Ok, I've been pretty critical of this anime so far, but this was almost a perfect episode.

Otonashi's character before his death was developed really well, and it was a fitting ending for him, yet also completely unfair. This all adds to the emotion you feel for him and the others.
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Mar 28, 2020 6:26 PM

Jan 2014
Unu5ual said:
Ok, I've been pretty critical of this anime so far, but this was almost a perfect episode.

agreed! there were so many plot holes (like why the fuck are they all in a high school?? that was so random) and a lot of them seem to have been filled. there was still a lot of cliche (like the rescue team arriving literally 2 seconds after he died) but still, i was actually RIVETED by an Angel Beats episode. in shock

why do i feel like the main story is only just beginning?? i wish they hadn't spent so much time in the beginning with useless shenanigans... i get they probably wanted to add into the shock factor of realizing what this world truly was, but still it went on for far too long (over half the anime length). there's legit 4 episodes left, i wish this character study type thing could have been the whole show T.T
Mar 30, 2020 1:28 AM

Sep 2018
Ouchhh!!!! I don't know what I will do if I get stuck like that ..

God!!!!! Otonashi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A hugeeee respect for him ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Now I understand the purpose of Tenshi lol
What's the point of fulfilling their dreams when they will die/vanish again? :(
Apr 30, 2020 11:17 AM
Sep 2018
Very cool to see the end of past of Yuzuru, that was for me one of the best episode
May 11, 2020 7:43 PM

Jan 2016
Great 5/5 episode, but I still have a burning question about this whole series:

How come most of the people there are NPCs. If this whole world was to let young people live out the lives they couldn't while they were alive, wouldn't there be more than enough people so as to not need any NPCs?

Also, I don't really like the English guy.

Also, I been knew Tenshi wasn't bad from the start lol.
Jun 15, 2020 1:13 PM

May 2015
Mad respect for Otanashi. Even in that dire incident he was still thinking about how to help people. And just a few seconds later help arrived. Reminds me a lot of The Fruit of Grisia.

The only gripe I have with the Dub is Otanashi's voice cannot scream or raise his voice well XD. Other than that they're all great.

Kanade at the end there was so cute. Constantly tilting her head and making adorable reactions. BEST GIRL!!!!!!!! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

But Otanashi has now become Palpatine XD. Manipulating both sides of the war.

Cant wait to see more of Otanashi and Kanade hanging out together. They're so cute.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Oct 17, 2020 7:09 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
He died as the rescue team arrived ... that really hit me hart :/
Now he wants to help the other move on, I wonder how this will turn out and if it will feel rushed I mean there are so many of them left but just a few episodes o.o

Nov 4, 2020 9:42 AM

Jan 2017
What a great leader Otonashi was (and still is), I wonder what took the rescue team so long but dying at the very moment he was about to be saved is truly an oof moment.

I'm dissapointed they didnt follow up with the cliffhanger of last ep but it's for later probably..?
Nov 24, 2020 8:22 PM
Jun 2020
This episode made me want there to be a Walking dead or Lost type of anime...
That aside, this episode was 10/10 and totally puts this show above mediocrity and I know I’m gonna be left wanting more after it’s conclusion, happy to see such a well-written series. I love the ability to balance comedy with dark sad tones, I didn’t find it forced or off putting, I like this shows roll!!!
Dec 8, 2020 11:59 AM

Aug 2018
Bad drama trashly written
Jan 1, 2021 7:37 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
I suspect that Otonashi will have to disappear once he helps everyone.
Jan 18, 2021 3:27 AM
Mar 2020
Poor Otonashi, what a bittersweet ending for him. I wonder how him and Tenshi will be able to help Yuri come to terms with her regrets.
Also, if the world they're living was created for the people who never live a fulfilling childhood, does that mean it exists one for adulthood?
Either way, beautiful ending to the episode, these last 4 have the potential to be great
Aizawa_IRLJan 18, 2021 7:38 AM
Jan 21, 2021 6:33 PM

Aug 2017
Oh, I didn't expect more about Otonashi past, that part was really sad. He could have a success life as become a doctor, RIP. I can be a bit nitpicking, like why did it take them 7 days to find them? or when he died before the rescue teams arrived. But I can ignore this cuz Otonashi's story of self-sacrifice is so well-written and his personality makes sense.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 20, 2021 9:14 AM

Aug 2013
Now that was powerful. Ignoring the absolute bullshit of not having an organised rescue performed in a major city for an enitre week, this episode really drove Otonashi down as a saint. Such an optimistic viewpoint of the human spirit isn't unwelcome at all, unrealistic as it may be.

And we got Kanade's purpose finally revealed too, predictable as it was. Didn't really think the excuse for her lack of agency to be "she just really sucks at talking to people" but I guess it makes sense from what we've seen of her. The anime still hasn't shown what set things off between her and Yuri yet but the direction of both of them teaming up to help everyone find peace is a very wholesome turnout.

Curious to see how many answers and proper resolutions we can get for just 4 more episodes.
Apr 19, 2021 5:32 AM

May 2017
honestly the first episode of angelbeats that I have enjoyed so far. this might get better now.
Jul 27, 2021 9:05 PM

Apr 2021
My man saved a lot of people in that train accident...but his death was really sad ;-;
So now to help the others...Tachibana and Otonashi team up ^^
Sep 10, 2021 7:58 PM

Jul 2016
In my opinion, Otonashi and the other passengers filling the organ-donation cards is probably the best scene in all AB. Now this said... what a contrived train accident, huh?
Oct 9, 2021 7:06 PM

Sep 2016
I wasn't expecting to say something like this, but I can finally say: what a great episode!

Every episode after the first felt like a bunch of filler, meaningless fodder, but now they've finally decided to move the main plot foward, I hope... This series can be good when they do try.
Nov 6, 2021 4:48 PM
Dec 2017
things went 0 to 100 real quick

Dec 10, 2021 2:56 PM

Aug 2008
Otonashi really is the best human to ever live isn't he? A hero, a saint of such unbelievable proportions that Jesus Christ himself should step aside and let Otonashi Yuzuru save humanity. I am simply amazed at how terrific this episode made this guy to be, simply perfect in every way. Helps the injured off the train, keeps people calm when they find they are trapped, shames the guy stealing water through his own self sacrifice, convinces everyone to sign organ donor cards, all done while severely injured himself and dies just before rescue comes but no worries the other passengers shall remember how he got them through it all. Brings a tear to your eye doesn't it? Except no it doesn't.

Now of course with his true saintly halo revealed the actual plot of the anime can take place (that ep 3 certainly implied which is the only episode I can say I really enjoyed) and getting members of SSS to find peace and move on is what is to happen. With 4 episodes to go. Pfft. I guess its more evidence of overall incompetence that no one tried talking to the "angel" and just shot at her. Couldn't have this plot twist without it I suppose, no exposing or overthrowing god but finding acceptance. Shock!
Jan 14, 2022 4:13 AM

Jul 2021
Holy shit this was such a good episode.

The feels this episode, cried more than the last time they showed us Otonashi's past. Felt so relieved when Otonashi woke up with Kanade's head pat. I would have hated it if the evil Tenshi would have taken over her.

Kanade best girl.

Looks like Otonashi wants everyone to "graduate" from this world as in he wants everyone to disappear from this world and be reborn. I wonder how they are going to accomplish that without rushing when only 4 more episodes are remaining.

Excited for next episode.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Sep 29, 2022 4:27 AM
Jul 2018
this episode is truly amazing both Yuzuru and Kanade are my favorite characters from this show I love both of them so much
Nov 7, 2022 9:16 PM

Jul 2022
When he began to fill in his credential what things to donate and the others followed suit, fuck, how I cried, and even more so when Igarashi begins to ask him if he listens to him and the roof begins to open.
Dec 7, 2022 4:44 PM

Jul 2017
I'm rewatching but this episode is just perfect. It literally shows the beauty of Angel Beats.
I love how strong emotions Angel Beats have.
Jan 5, 2023 3:07 AM

Dec 2020
Alright the story is more simple than I thought. They just got me in the beginning with the whole fighting against angel thing. It's more clear now that it's all explained.

But his death scene was great .
Jan 17, 2023 6:10 AM
Feb 2019
I cried a little when I saw Otonashi write on the paper that he would donate organs. Best episode so far, 10/10
Mar 10, 2023 10:14 AM
Feb 2021
So when they become content with life they die? So the idea is to never be content with your life? I mean, I guess that makes sense, but is living a life where you never feel fulfilled worth it? Maybe the show will explore this direction, hopefully with Yuri because she's really been missing some importance recently, but I honestly doubt it'll go any farther than friendship good
Mar 22, 2023 10:24 AM

Dec 2022
Best episode so far by a country mile. Kanade finally got reinstated to the role she never should've lost in the first place, which is a pittance, but at least it happened. Otonashi now wants everyone to pass on, but I feel like he could've come to this conclusion as early as the first episode. I understand he got caught up in the "let's gun down Angel" palaver, but he could've at least tried to talk to her, or convinced the others to.

The continuation of his backstory was neat. I did question where the guy stealing water was planning to run to, or why they didn't try and break away at the rubble, or how it took so many days to realise that train route was out of commission; but those are just nitpicks. Kanade and Otonoshi's interactions here are sweet — don't know if they'll end up together but it's the best ship I can think of.

Shaded Horizon

Apr 26, 2023 3:16 PM

Dec 2012
This episode really delivered. Otonashi's death was given enough time to sink in and the moment everyone started pulling out their organ donor cards had me weepy eyed. This is definitely the turning point where Angel Beats goes from a scrambled mess of afterlife antics into a gripping tale about finding peace.
May 8, 2023 1:47 PM

Jun 2017
My jaw dropped when I realized there was a continuation after the train crash memory of Otonashi! I was so sure that the cause of death was the train crash. I was already settled with that. What a twist! And my God! this episode is dark too! I like it much better than Nakamura's life story.

This is my favorite story so far. Such a forlorn episode!

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Jun 16, 2023 10:08 AM
Dec 2018
Thank god for this chapter. This anime stresses me out
Aug 9, 2023 11:55 AM
Jul 2023
definitely the best episode so far!
That part of Otonashis backstory was so good i neraly cried when they were signing the organ donor cards
Sep 13, 2023 7:23 PM

Sep 2020
Damn, didn't expect his death to go like that. I'm not sure how realistic it would've been for him to last that long with, most likely, internal bleeding. Also surprised it took a whole week for rescue to come in the first place, not even an initial scout a few days in to let them know help was coming.

I also thought it was weird that nobody had already checked off being a donor already (don't know what it's like over there in Japan, but my driver's license is already pre-authorized). Why wait for something unexpected and not be able to check it by yourself?
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
Nov 29, 2023 6:11 PM

Nov 2023
This was really fun honestly
Feb 16, 9:16 AM

Jun 2017
Wow what a twist !! Dying out of hunger is the cruelest way to go where your body leaves last but the mental fortitude would be gone ages ago yet the absolute fucking champ Otonashi held onto it till his last breath.The narrative execution upscaled by leaps and bounds.It gave a clear picture of what is going on a macroscale ,for a first.
On a personal note i can see the rescue requiring a week.A one recently took 3 weeks in South Asia.Boring semi collapsed tunnels is very risky and may require several trial and error .But i don't get why they couldn't do a smaller one few inches in diameter to send food and neccessary items . Welp trivial complaints when compared to the positives .Excited for the last episodes....
bakakisimaFeb 16, 9:28 AM
Apr 4, 6:47 PM
Aug 2023
The backstory was very good at stirring the emotions as always, but the present day storyline again was falling short. I did not like the turn of events where the MC was turning traitor against the rest. The MC is using the excuse of "it's best for the others" but what he's really doing is tricking the others, and taking their own choice out of their hands. It doesn't matter if it's best for the other or not, it's their choice and the MC has no right to take that away from them. Even if you want to look at this situation the most charitable way for the MC, like a parent tricking their child into eating vegetables for their own good, that's still deception, trickery is worse than the child doing it out of their own free-will, and the other people are not children without the ability to decide for themselves. What's worse is the Angel had decided to no longer fight the others, and have become the other's friend instead...the MC is now making her do something she no longer has the motivation to do. Who knows what would have resulted if things progressed naturally without the MC's interference. In short, the MC has become the bad guy now despite the show trying to make him out to be the good guy.
Apr 17, 8:17 PM

Dec 2022
Did Otonashi rlly died at the last second just as the help arrives? Damn. Kanade sucks at communicating after all and she's well aware lol.

Yesterday, 7:41 PM
Feb 2022
Perfect, now everything makes sense, i liked the plot about Tonashi's death and now him willingness to help Kanade.
Pages (12) « First ... « 10 11 [12]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 4, 2010

661 by Hue_Enjoyer »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 18, 2010

462 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 9:28 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 11, 2010

377 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 8:49 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 25, 2010

1749 by Vapor_AU »»
Yesterday, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - May 14, 2010

536 by Hue_Enjoyer »»
Apr 17, 9:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.