MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Angel Beats! Episode 9 Discussion
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Angel Beats! »» Angel Beats! Episode 9 Discussion

Pages (25) « First ... « 20 21 [22] 23 24 » ... Last »
View Poll Results: Angel Beats! Episode 9 Discussion
5 out of 5: Loved it!

596 82.66%
4 out of 5: Liked it

90 12.48%
3 out of 5: It was OK

21 2.91%
2 out of 5: Disliked it

9 1.25%
1 out of 5: Hated it

5 0.69%
Voters: 721

12-03-11, 7:44 PM

So the reason purgatory is a school is that the place is a place for young souls. Thats why there was no adults with regrets when they died O.o.

12-04-11, 4:34 PM

game8910 said:
Otonashi confirmed as the final boss, all is going according to keikaru now

Save the SSS by making them all disappear while pulling the strings from the inside, with Kanade as his helper.

Also LOL FAIL @ him for dying a minute before being rescued

i knew i wasnt the only one thinking about that anime, lol
GBcrazy said:
Shit got real

your too late.

12-05-11, 7:14 AM

ZetaZeta said:
Considering Key's addiction to putting characters into comas and their meta-theme of dreams that exists in everything they do, I'm going to just make an educated guess that everyone is alive and in a sort of dream state.

Actually, I've been pondering before this episode, that part of the setup could be a shell game to begin with. That perhaps all of the 'major characters', aren't really individuals, but segments of Otonoshi's own personality or self. That would in theory mean that this entire story, really isn't about the other characters at all, but about Otonoshi working through his own issues. Take that for what you will though, but I still think a potential dream like scenario exists here.

Although when Otonoshi wakes up on the train, part of me wonders if the main action of the series was all a dream. Kind of like a recent doctor who episode where they can't tell which reality is real.

I also agree with Fatentity. Everyone who is upset it took 7 days is assuming the locality of damage. That there are no other blockages enroute to finding the train, that there is no other damage above ground or underground that need taken care of first. It made me think back to the recent Earthquake/Tsunamie/Nuclear Reactor Scram at Fukushima's power plant. I mean there could be a lot more going on that Otonoshi would have no clue about from his perspective, you just never know.

I know, this was an emotional episode, and while I didn't cry, I probably would have if it had continued just a bit further before Kanade wakes up. Still, I was very moved just the same. I think I'm going to rewatch this one before continuing because I think there's something in Kanade's conversation with Otonoshi that I just don't quite get. It's a beautiful thing though, for sure.

That aside though, part of me also wondered if Kanade's little game all along was somehow to use Otonoshi in this way, even the supposed way she dutifully 'follows' his orders feels a bit too hard to believe. I've never quite been able to shake that. However, it may feel like a reset, but I'm expecting a bit more before this next four episodes concludes.

viral_hun said:
Also, I think Otonashi is the god of this world too. God made the world in 6 days, and rested in the seventh. Otonashi took care of the injured for 6 days, then rested on the 7th and died.

You know this thought occurred to me, and it occurred to me, that Yuri may already know this or suspect it at least. The hinting of it by her saying it while we see Otonashi on screen, could be a hint. The telling of the Biblical 'Christ' from a literary standpoint is a God who takes upon himself the flesh of man, walks among them, to try and help heal and draw them back to himself in a way. The analogy can't be stretched too far here, as some of the characters may simply lack enough depth due to screen time. (That's my theory anyways).

And wow!
tEnSh1 said:
If they digged from above ...Otonashi wouldnt die .. ! :D

I'm also for this idea :

""God made the world in 6 days, and rested in the seventh. Otonashi took care of the injured for 6 days, then rested on the 7th and died.""

This explains why Maeda choose the rescue team to come in the 7th day !

I totally didn't think about the coincidence in the number of days chosen. What a great catch! It would lend to my theory that Otonoshi is key to this realm they are now in some how. That perhaps it's all about him to begin with. It does make you wonder though. But now, Otonashi has basically become 'Judas', agreeing to betray his friends in a way, 'for their own good'. It will be interesting to see how this turn of events develops.

Bah I just had to watch that preview link didn't I? I was just starting to like Yui too. Gah, oh well, not much time left I suppose.

12-22-11, 11:04 PM

that was a really sad episode to be honest.
... why am i still crying?
Modified by NoiselessFavre, 12-22-11, 11:15 PM

12-31-11, 3:22 PM

jesus christ this episode was quite upsetting. x.x
i don't want everyone to be obliterated!! gahhh.
things seem like they might just get more tragic from here on out.
AHHHHH.

01-01-12, 12:38 PM

So, we see how Otonashi actually died. Very tragic.

01-24-12, 5:34 PM

Such a sad episode!

It's weird that Otanashi and Angel are working together to get everyone to heaven, I never thought it'd work out that way. Now Otanashi's only regret is having Yuri retain those memories, I wonder how he'll pull that off.

So I guess Angel is kinda a double-sided person: she's there so people can rebel against her and follow their own beliefs, and she's also there to rise people to heaven for realizing what a great life they actually had.

The world they live in is also for them to live the "lives they never had". Which is kinda cool.

02-11-12, 9:46 PM

What a noble thing to do. Sadly he had a dream and died moments before being saved.

Love Kanade, still this show leaves me confused, since it's like being on an emotional rollercoaster, I get happy, sad, laugh, cry. Truly one of the few animes that have marked my life.

02-17-12, 1:24 AM

Wow, when Otonashi died just as the rescue team showed up made me a little teary... It was pretty sad ;-;

I wonder what really happens when they get "obliterated" because I would hate to leave the friends you have met in that world behind. .~.

02-28-12, 12:14 PM

Had me me in tears.
It's rare when I cry over an anime episode.
BUT THAT EPISODE WAS SAD.
I started tearing up when he signed the card, because he'd given up hope he'd be rescued and just wanted to be of use one more time. Cried even harder that just a few seconds after he dies, they get saved. Everybody there better be fucking grateful. >:I
Wow, Otanashi has just become my all time favorite character because of that episode.

04-30-12, 12:51 AM

He really did turn a new leaf before he died, too bad he didn't live long enough to see it through. And even though he died, he left giving meaning to the life of others who survived.

So the school is really purgatory after all? How can being model students make you happy anyway or live the dreams you wanted in your past life?

05-29-12, 2:31 PM

I'm so glad Kanade is fine. Also wow, Otonashi was amazing helping all those people in the train crash, it's not fair he didn't get to live. What will happen next?

06-01-12, 9:45 AM

...I cried.

It's so freaking unfair that he died right as the rescue team came. After everything.

(My eyes feel kind of sore...)

06-25-12, 6:18 PM

McRib said:
shit got real

'Nuff said.

But seriously, this episode improved the show a lot in my opinion. Huge characterization for Otonashi and big explanation about the situation. I didn't think it was too sad, but rather bittersweet and profound.

07-21-12, 9:13 PM

Oh god. I told myself I wouldn't cry, but Otonashi's past was just too cruel. It had such an effect on me because he was already a likable character I grew to care about.

I just lost it when he started circling organs. Fuck. And then the rescue team coming just as he died, after he did so much to help the others... it's just so, so unfair.

This show might have the best cast of characters out of any anime I've ever seen.

07-22-12, 10:57 AM

ShibuyaRiver said:
If there is one thing this episode has taught me, is that Otonashi is turning into the Jack of Angel Beats.

Good times...

Anyway yeah this episode was really good, although I kind of already assumed everything that was "revealed". That Tenshi was good all along, that school was purgatory and that being "obliterated" was passing on once you dealt with your regret.

It was nice that Otonashi got an "extension" and the scene where they all filled out the organ donation cards was very memorable. So yeah... the question is where do they go from here? They've dealt with the "villain(s)" and will seemingly deal with their regrets.

08-29-12, 2:03 PM

Awesome episode. 5/5

09-22-12, 12:48 PM

i just realized coul otonashi somehow hve died before kinade and she had a heart donor and got otonashis heart????????

09-22-12, 9:44 PM

Otonashi really is amazing <3

10-04-12, 12:35 AM

torrentsven said:
TakuyaDreikorg said:
How did you do to watch it ALREADY? xD

can this question please stop to pop up in every fucking anime sub forum on every episode discussion ffs god damn mother of god please just (=)5?)PÅ/PR(&8
Was that really necessary? Some people don't even know you can get the unsubbed version before the subbed version. It sounds stupid but it's not something to get angry over.
If only I had been here two years ago.

Anyway, about the episode, Kanade is cuter than she was in the beginning. If she got there the same way as everyone else, I wonder what her problems were in life.

Pages (25) « First ... « 20 21 [22] 23 24 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices