Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
May 29, 2010 11:42 AM

Feb 2010
Very good Episode, Otonashis past twisted a little, and things seem to become as they were in the beginnig.
May 29, 2010 11:51 AM

Aug 2008
Good episode is good. I wasn't that touched by Otonashi's past, but I did like the scene with him and Tenshi that followed. The plot is definitely getting better for me.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
May 29, 2010 11:57 AM

Dec 2007
Otonashi Yuuki? Isn't his name is Otonashi Yuzuru?

Otonashi had such a tragic life. Man, life is so unfair ;_;.

I hope the next episode is a Yui episode.
May 29, 2010 12:00 PM

Dec 2008
This was a pretty awesome episode. Not enough Hinata. :c
And I STILL cannot see Tenshi and Otonashi as a romantic couple. I still see them as a brother/sister kinda thing.

I dunno know why. o3o
DeviantART: apple-seed.deviantart.com
May 29, 2010 12:04 PM

Jan 2009
rarri said:
Otonashi Yuuki? Isn't his name is Otonashi Yuzuru?
Mazui failed with the subs thar, they mentioned it in their blogpost as well, and they'll fix it for the v2 : p
Just sayin'
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
May 29, 2010 12:31 PM

May 2010
Well, another episode, it had me smiling as it always does :), but I think that the SSS will find out about Otonashi's plans. He said it though... Kanade is one klutz of an Angel.
Hey man, have you got the time? Can I bother you for a light?
Who me? I'm not the old town crier, I'm the one who sets it all on fire.
Gaea: A world Divided - The world has changed, and as humanity has evolved to survive, splits have formed. With gods and immortals, Robots and magic. Will you be able to make a mark for yourself, or will you just be crushed by the waves? Enter here and find out. -http://gaea.forumotion.com
May 29, 2010 1:22 PM

Jan 2009
Plot development with Otonashi and Angel was epic and the true purpose of their area they are in.

Also I think Otonashi died due to one of his internal organs suffering a injury.
May 29, 2010 1:46 PM

Apr 2010
AlliedG said:
Plot development with Otonashi and Angel was epic and the true purpose of their area they are in.

Also I think Otonashi died due to one of his internal organs suffering a injury.
Yep his skin was turning black in his stomach area, so i agree with your conclusion.
I don't have much medical knowledge tho.

Very touching episode i like the development between Kanade and Otonashi they look like a nice couple.
Also Shiina talked, i really like her character silent and calm and a major love for cute things which she tries to hide.

One thing i'm wondering about tho, it seems Yuripe has feelings for Otonashi.
I might just be speculating tho.
May 29, 2010 1:48 PM

Dec 2009
FoxInTheBox said:
Lol there's donor section on id cardS?
We have that in California.... I think it's a good idea.

Alipio said:
Maybe I'm just way too caught up in the moment, but I just have to say this. This episode was one of the most beautiful episodes in all of anime history. Most notably the scene where Otonashi was deciding on what organs to donate, then inspiring everyone else to do the same. Just, wow.. *tear*
I'm just surprised this show actually made me cry. Where did that come from...? I almost dropped it after the first few episodes, but now I'm glad I didn't...

Foton said:
lol@ people nitpicking, but sure let me join in.
There are plenty of reasons why a rescue might take a long time, and there are several different insults and injuries that may have caused Otonashi's death....
....but at this point adding any more theories would be like beating a dead cow.
May 29, 2010 2:05 PM

Oct 2007
Now this has became another show that signals left and then turn right on every episode.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
May 29, 2010 2:10 PM
Dec 2007
The flashback must have been the mushiest thing I have ever seen in my life. It was so bad I was about to puke but suddenly, there was Kanade's awakening and the plot made a bit of sense. 3/4 of this episode were awful but the last quarter was exactly what we needed since the beginning so I guess that rounds up to a "not-so-bad episode" after all.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
May 29, 2010 2:11 PM
Nov 2009
Great episode with expectations for even more interesting story bout Yui.

Of course they won't be able to to tell all (or almost all) stories with only 4 episodes left but I bet it isn't really needed. Yuri is the main driver behind "fighting and rebelling" thing so if her case is solved that's it. 1 episode for Yui and 1-2 (Yurippe may take 2 eps) more for someone else. Whom will they cover next :) ?
May 29, 2010 2:25 PM

Dec 2009
Awesome episode. Otonashis story was sad, and now I am very interested in how this anime will end^^ 5/5
yuno6.jpg
May 29, 2010 2:31 PM

May 2010
Maeda's work contains lots of drama and his work can affect and touch people through empathy. His script and story, exellently written and his music are so perfect in sync. He is a composer who makes great music which matches to the sad drama.

Yeah, you just felt it, Maeda's work.
May 29, 2010 2:44 PM

Nov 2008
That was pretty good.
May 29, 2010 3:13 PM

Jul 2009
What I love about Key is it never feels forced or unnatural when something happens when they do it. I didn't foresee Otonashi's death just as the rescue team were coming, that caught me off guard, I expected him to die in hospital later on or something else in the tunnel (Beaten by those people questioning his leadership, something like that).

Also, the music of Angel Beats! is a winner. Creates the perfect atmosphere for any situation. Hell, the Dango song is still like the saddest theme of all time for me.
May 29, 2010 3:27 PM

Dec 2008
Finally an episode I was pleased with :)

Contrary to what some people including some of my friends who were watching this series felt, I was pretty iffy about the whole series. I just wasn't feeling the "greatness" that some viewers saw in it. Things felt really forced and unnatural, and instead of it being driven by a strong storyline, the series is driven by weak plot developments and shallow characters. I'm not saying that this episode was godly because it still had it's flaws...but I think this is the first time I'm glad I picked this series up :) I loved how there was more to Otonashi's past and I hope we get to learn more about the other characters especially Yurippe.
May 29, 2010 3:32 PM

May 2010
This was another epic episode. Learning how Otonashi died was painful but not unexpected in the least. I figured he was gonna die just before rescue.

Also in the end part with Otonashi explaining what he is gonna do to get the people in that world was not unexpected. But it is cool that the nice angel was the one that came back.

Otonashi is a really nice guy and I could see why he did not want to leave that world. He wants to help everyone that comes through there.
May 29, 2010 4:31 PM

May 2008
Wow, actually I'm surprised. I'd have never thought that they can pull out a greater drama than Iwasawa's. I'm moved for the first time in this series, and I even shed some tears...
Greatest episode so far, but I doubt that they can cover the end well with just 4 episodes.~~
May 29, 2010 5:09 PM

Aug 2008
Agree with robbydesu and some of the others. The show finally did an episode that had more going right for it than wrong. I thought it was a pretty good episode with plot developments that should have happened 3 episodes ago at the latest. I still don't think the show could stand 22+ episodes, but I wonder if 12 would have been enough. Maybe something like 15? But then, I have to take into account the crappy storytelling, so maybe it still could have been done in 12 with a better writer.
May 29, 2010 5:11 PM

Apr 2010
AlliedG said:

the area was the greater omentum. it's like a bag that protects parts of your intestines, and I'm sure it was tore open and infected or something like that.

CMU
May 29, 2010 5:41 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
at least Otonashi got character development....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
May 29, 2010 6:02 PM

Aug 2009
"TK isn't good with English though" ROFLMAO!!!!
May 29, 2010 7:15 PM

Nov 2009
Man, no matter how hard i try to predict the outcome, they manage to make another twist, so unexpected. Awesome anime so far.

And as if otanashi died like that!, so touching how he inspired the group and he dies seconds before being discovered. SCREW THE GUY WHO STOLE THE WATER!
May 29, 2010 7:36 PM

Apr 2009
Damn it Otonashi.
<3
May 29, 2010 8:41 PM
Dec 2008
good episode

i wonder how TK died
May 29, 2010 8:55 PM
Apr 2009
Best episode so far. Love this show.
May 29, 2010 9:17 PM

Aug 2008
This easily had the best moment of the series. The "everybody whips out the donor card" moment didn't feel cheap, or tacky or played at all. It made me proud to have that hard on my license.

I love the unholy alliance that took place near the end, too. This will add some serious tension to the last few episodes.
Easily a 5/5.
May 29, 2010 10:53 PM

Aug 2008
Great drama and story development... however, I don't quite like the new theme and motif it has taken. It's not because the story-telling lacks on something, but it's just that the older theme appealed to me more, philosophically-wise. Why not be angry at a "God" that has taken your life so unfairly and tragically, destroying your youthful and unrealized dreams & aspirations on mere whim? Why accept it as truth? Why can't they rebel against such a fate? Really, for me at least, all of that mentality on "finding peace with oneself"", accepting your fate and simply "moving on", sucks. Well that's just me of course.
May 30, 2010 12:35 AM

Oct 2009
Still, that sure is a huge coincidence that everyone on the train have a pen and a donor card, lol

Oh yea, I love the part where Kanade pats Otonashi's head :D

May 30, 2010 1:17 AM

Dec 2009
Lucky Kanade came out good (knew it)

I cant believe it's going to end soon T_T

May 30, 2010 2:15 AM

Apr 2010
At last we'll get to know everyones past but i think 4 episodes isn't enough.
renji59May 30, 2010 9:37 PM
Sig deleted for idiocy.
May 30, 2010 2:20 AM

Jul 2008
well.... thats a sucky way to go, just as the rescue crew breaks in he dies, >_<
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
May 30, 2010 2:31 AM

Mar 2009
havsie said:
shit got real

I thought this episode was GREAT. Loved the flashback scene.
I just don't understand...

In any case, at the end of the day, it's all about Kanade. :3

But I wish it had more Yui and TK. >:(
May 30, 2010 2:35 AM

Jun 2008
Ok... so... Otonashi died from internal bleeding... no shit here... (no, not the lack of water. Though more water might have helped him, but I seriously doubt that it would have saved him anyway). He saved Someone (or even more people) with his organs... and let's not count everyone who were there with him... Once the flashback is done, Kanade is back as herself... yay!
Then Kanade tells Otonashi her original intentions. Turns out that everyone misunderstood her... And that she sucked at trying to explain everything properly.
The pact is sealed, Otonashi becomes the Magnificant Bastard. Cool. Now all we need is to see wether Yuri will notice them or not... and whether she will let them or not. The only problem is Naoi... He might notice, that Kanade is herself, not some homocidal maniac clone. Though only one word from Otonashi, and he should be quiet about it.

On another note: Otonashi completely wandered off from the harem ending, and chose the Kanade ending. Good choice in my opinion.
May 30, 2010 2:43 AM

Feb 2009
Kanade-chan said:
It's very sad that Otonashi died just as the rescue team arrived :s

yeah,,, I felt bad for him :'| poor thing
May 30, 2010 3:53 AM

Jan 2008
Damn, damn, damn.

I wasn't expecting that, and now, I'm not really looking forward to the next four episodes. =X I will be sad when Hinata, Yui, & Naoi disappear.

& I think I'm the only person who won't really care about T.K. disappearing. *shrugs*
May 30, 2010 3:58 AM

May 2010
memorieswithin said:
Damn, damn, damn.

I wasn't expecting that, and now, I'm not really looking forward to the next four episodes. =X I will be sad when Hinata, Yui, & Naoi disappear.

& I think I'm the only person who won't really care about T.K. disappearing. *shrugs*

heey, I also don't want Yui, Naoi and Hinata to disappear =D
May 30, 2010 4:09 AM

May 2010
What's the betting Yui's past is going to have something to do with sex given how she acts all the time?

Anyway... general thoughts on the episode were, loved it. Best we've had in a while. I thought the last few were... a tad lacking, shall we say. They all had their moments, but the series felt like it was drifting a bit, both in terms of lacking much overarching plot to speak of and more generally simply not carrying the elements which had made it unique far enough.

But this episode was great. I was sceptical two weeks ago about revealing Otonashi's past so soon and so easily - I thought they were going to save it for the series' climax, as I suspect did a lot of people. I thought for what it was something of a let-down, and added to that I thought they didn't give it enough of a reaction from Otonashi himself. This week's round of revelations, however, were much more superbly handled on both those fronts - some wonderful development of Otonashi's character (even if he is now officially the 'impossible saint' archetype, if such an archetype exists) and an excellent response to it when he - and Kanade - came to. Possibly would've emitted a squee when Kanade called him Yuzuru if it hadn't been late at night when I was watching this. And the 'unholy alliance', as someone put it a few posts up - love it. There's some brilliant development with Yuri down the line here. I can't wait!

Oh, and of course we wait with baited breath to see if Yuzuru can remain with his beloved Kanade once their task is done... [/fangirlboy]

Genix said:
Great drama and story development... however, I don't quite like the new theme and motif it has taken. It's not because the story-telling lacks on something, but it's just that the older theme appealed to me more, philosophically-wise. Why not be angry at a "God" that has taken your life so unfairly and tragically, destroying your youthful and unrealized dreams & aspirations on mere whim? Why accept it as truth? Why can't they rebel against such a fate? Really, for me at least, all of that mentality on "finding peace with oneself"", accepting your fate and simply "moving on", sucks. Well that's just me of course.

I know what you mean, and I share your sentiment in a way - or rather, I would, except I don't think we should entirely give up on that theme yet. Perhaps I'm alone here, but it seems to me that there's still ample room for it to be explored without compromising this week's events. If the next few episodes are done well, we could find that a genuine battle goes on between the two ideas - rebellion against God versus accepting Fate and finding inner peace. Perhaps we'll see the conflict through a bit of soul-searching in Otonashi as things progress and his friends start to disappear (and his other friends react to that - anyone else think Hinata might try when Yui vanishes? I'd have thought that would affect Otonashi quite a bit); perhaps we'll just have to read it out of events as they progress ourselves. Though, given the highly first-person nature of this anime, I think that the first is more likely, and would certainly be a more fitting way of doing it.
May 30, 2010 4:13 AM

Nov 2009
Wow, really good episode.

I hope the next four are going to be just as good, if not better, with all the back stories and stuff and disappearing.
May 30, 2010 4:32 AM

Apr 2009
I approve of the yaoi in this anime. No wait, actually that was necrophiliac yaoi since he was kissing a dead guy and all. Oh hellz yes! Necro yaoi FTW!!~~
And it seems that everyone in japan has an organ donor card huh? Now where can I gets me one of these so I can fill it out and ask to be cremated upon death with my organs still inside me 8D?
May 30, 2010 4:58 AM

Jun 2009
1. I find it ridiculous that the rescue team took Seven days to arrive. What a load of rubbish.
2. Why didn't they bother to try and take down the wall? I realise that they were all hurt but they could have at least tried.

Other than that, good episode.
May 30, 2010 5:18 AM

Apr 2010
Tyestor said:
1. I find it ridiculous that the rescue team took Seven days to arrive. What a load of rubbish.
2. Why didn't they bother to try and take down the wall? I realise that they were all hurt but they could have at least tried.

1 week is slow for an underground rescue? How about 10 days and failed rescue?
http://www.usmra.com/saxsewell/crandallcanyon.htm

Or 3 days in and no progress?
http://calamities.gaeatimes.com/2010/05/12/officials-say-time-is-running-out-for-30-still-missing-in-russian-mine-blast-the-killed-60-22737/

Or 9 days and not a complete recovery?
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2010-04/05/content_9686834.htm

Angel beats on this issue is actually closer to fact than Hollywood is.

Oh you can google and watch the japanese movie 252: Seizonsha Ari (252: Signal of Life) to see a version of underground rescue and the complications
Zaku_FanMay 30, 2010 5:22 AM
May 30, 2010 5:47 AM

Sep 2009
Awesome episode. I loved the sad moments in the underground (:
this made me score angel beats 10/10 ^- ^
Bleach ga saiko ka jibun ni! (:
May 30, 2010 6:02 AM

Nov 2008
Great episode plot beginning, now Otonashi and Tenshi have to get the rest to pass over and Otonashi's past was T.T
May 30, 2010 6:32 AM

May 2010
Tyestor said:

There's a reason why it takes heavy duty equipment to get in to the from the outside, you know. This is the sort of rubble that can't be shifted in any feasible space of time by human hands. Besides, they had limited supplies - it would've been madness to exert themselves fruitlessly and waste more energy and water.
May 30, 2010 7:20 AM

May 2010
Zaku_Fan said:
Tyestor said:

1 week is slow for an underground rescue? How about 10 days and failed rescue?
http://www.usmra.com/saxsewell/crandallcanyon.htm

Or 3 days in and no progress?
http://calamities.gaeatimes.com/2010/05/12/officials-say-time-is-running-out-for-30-still-missing-in-russian-mine-blast-the-killed-60-22737/

Or 9 days and not a complete recovery?
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2010-04/05/content_9686834.htm

Angel beats on this issue is actually closer to fact than Hollywood is.

Oh you can google and watch the japanese movie 252: Seizonsha Ari (252: Signal of Life) to see a version of underground rescue and the complications

I dig it....

Tyestor said:

Well, the rocks were blocking the tunnel and that's it... Btw, if you're bored, try bring all of ur contacts and try move a mountain, no difference, seriously

Since we all already KNOW that they won't be able to take down the wall of rocks by themselves so why bother wasting 3 mins of episode 9 on fillers and unnecessary stuff..?
Well, it was great that they put more time on some nice drama than some boring fillers
May 30, 2010 7:21 AM
Jan 2010
Osric said:

There's a reason why it takes heavy duty equipment to get in to the from the outside, you know. This is the sort of rubble that can't be shifted in any feasible space of time by human hands. Besides, they had limited supplies - it would've been madness to exert themselves fruitlessly and waste more energy and water.

It also looked like there was quite a bit of snow? They could have gotten unlucky as it already was weather and and would be quite a hassle to deal with. Some people are thinking quite unrealistically about rescue times aren't they? There are quite a few complications in rescuing, many of which I'm sure you don't know. It's the internet. Go look up the news of the real world. Or as you can see, someone has already done it.

Vento said:
Still, that sure is a huge coincidence that everyone on the train have a pen and a donor card, lol

He was applying for college, was he not? The others, some had school uniforms, while others dressed for work. And then for the last couple that aren't either... Well I carry a pen with me(might just be because I like to pen spin)...

Now the donor card... That's a health insurance card. Now it wouldn't make sense to NOT carry one now, right?
MegamanZenMay 30, 2010 7:24 AM
May 30, 2010 7:29 AM

Jan 2010
aw, shit, POOR OTONASHI DDD: i almost cried, lol
and at the preview.. was yui saying ''it took away all my happiness''? maybe more of her past, yosh! *-*
May 30, 2010 7:38 AM
Mar 2009
I liked the episode because of the drama part but at the end I totally disagreed with Otonashi about him wanting the Battlefront members disappear.

First of all....why can't he just ask the members whether they want to disappear or not?
Who the the hell he thinks he is by abruptly deciding that it's better for his friends to disappear. If they wanted to disappear they could have done it a long time ago since they knew the method.

But actually....who'd want to disappear(die) from a place where one has free food, no obligation(the can do whatever they want to do), and a lot of friends to hang out with just because 1 single bad memory? In addition they don't even age....

I mean look at Yui.....the fact that she is there means that she has also some kind of tragedy in her past. Does she mope around because of this? NO! She is always cheerful and energetic. Even though she had every reason to acting like an emo she simply choosed to ignore her past and live a happy life there. She even had her dream come true by becoming one of the member of GirlDeMo.

But the same is true for the other Battlefront members except Yurippe. Surely they cant ignore their past completely but they're trying to have fun and ignore the tragedy that happenned with them.

So basically what I'm saying is that you can still live happily even if you had a tragic past especially in a place where they're at the moment where they have friends, freetime etc.

Otonashi shouldn't abruptly make them disappear just because HE thinks that's good for them.
szaba87May 30, 2010 7:45 AM
Pages (12) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - May 14, 2010

536 by Hue_Enjoyer »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 25, 2010

1748 by Vapor_AU »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Apr 30, 2010

608 by Hue_Enjoyer »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 21, 2010

387 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 6:39 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Apr 2, 2010

676 by Hue_Enjoyer »»
Apr 16, 9:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.