MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Is this the most overrated series of the season?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Kaichou wa Maid-sama! »» Is this the most overrated series of the season?

Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
06-04-10, 8:07 AM

Why not just watch the series and find out why his character is the way he is?

I'm planing to watch it until the end, I actually like the anime, I'm just pointing out some "flaws".

which he does have some reasons for (I've been up to date with the manga)

Yeah, it would be logic to assume something is going to happen later, but some people must hate this waiting (me for example).

06-25-10, 9:24 AM

To be honest, I'm absolutely in love with this series. That being said - I'm judging it on my own personal enjoyment, and not really on any kind of original, artistic merit. I loved Special A so for me this kind of thing is ideal. A strong lead female is a must for me to really love a show like this.

Still - I think the anime has definite room to advance - I can see them developing Usui's character. My only concern is that they put in too much filler.. Like episode 12 for example.

I haven't read the manga yet - will do so once the series is done.

06-26-10, 11:08 AM

I like Kaichou because Usui is such a screwball male protagonist, and because the show parodies typical shoujo plotlines. Since I feel mostly very amused about the events of this anime, it's alright for me. Too bad the animation is so clunky.

06-27-10, 2:22 PM

kaleidome said:
Still - I think the anime has definite room to advance - I can see them developing Usui's character. My only concern is that they put in too much filler.. Like episode 12 for example.

Developing Usui's character? Really? I must be missing something. Please, tell me how Usui has changed since the beginning of this series.

06-27-10, 8:54 PM

Seriously, what's so great about Kaichou, I wonder. I, for one, enjoyed both KnT and ToraDora, because the characters there were awesome and partially because of other reasons, too. Here, I just don't feel anything. The side characters are there just for the sake of it. While in KnT for example, which was the first and only shoujo to impress me to that extent, they played a big role, they were enetertaining, they had mind of their own. While Sakura and what's-her-name, voiced by my goddess Yuu-sama, are just as important to the plot as is the background.

I personally don't like those "overrated" topics, but sometimes it's just necessary.
And yes, I do rate highly, something below 7 is not something you will see frequently in my list. And I probably will give this a 7...
This whole thing with the "cup of tea" is annoying me, because as a shoujo, this can accomplish a lot more, just like KnT did for me, even if the story is nothing special. K-ON! may be a moeblob for example, but is doing a hell of a great job at this, and that's why it has so many haters. The moe fans love it and that's all there is to it. As for Kaichou, the answer is yet again simple: Usui is perfect and the fangirls like that. Again, Kaichou does its job perfectly, by providing the fangirls this character. While KnT gave us countless great characters, cool soundtrack AND a better artwork, if not perfect. So there's just no comparison between the two.

So, basically, people will like what they want, and this topic is useless... But from my point of view, this could do a lot more, than just having that Usui guy. Because if the boy is always the one thing that brings popularity to a shoujo series, then where is this world going to, seriously... The shoujo fans themselves should aim a little higher.
but oh wait... Come to think of it, I don't recall a shoujo with a low rating. (: Irony.
Modified by Nao-stani, 06-27-10, 9:08 PM

07-10-10, 12:14 PM

^ agrees with nao-stani quite a bit~~

....except that i like this series a lot xD
i've kept up to date with this series since it first started being scanlated though, i do admit that if i hadn't read the manga, I'd probably see this series as an average shoujo~
But as a avid manga fan xD i find my self watching everyweek just too see some of the side characters starting to get more screentime. This is a SLOW series, i mean it took a while to learn ANY proper backstory for usui, but thats because the series does spend time on developing the cast quite a bit as well as side characters. The side characters for kaichou are some of my favourite side characters i've some across. mainly one who has yet to be introduced.

meh~ i decided i cannot to bothered to make a big long post with how i feel as i wish to go play games 8D but basically what i wanted to say was!

please go troll some more obvious overated series like naruto, naruto fans are used to it and no longer care 8D (well the average fan doesn't, rabbid ones do) if you don't like it, thats fine, no-ones going to hate you....but please don't feel the need to complain that you don't like it much...and that most people who have watched and liked it are wrong because your opinions are correct...ours are not xDD over-rated threads are stupid. End of.

~also i've read through most of this topic so im not talking to just topic creator~
nipah~~

07-23-10, 9:00 AM

Hypeathon said:
If it makes you feel any better, I think the highest-rated show this season is Big Windup: the Summer Tournament chapters at # 149, the sequel to a baseball show. Not even Angel Beats or K-ON!! topped that! And I can probably only speak for myself on this, but that show is highly-rated for a REALLY good reason!

First off, completely and utterly agree with you. Best show ever. No other show can even compare. I'll trade every other anime I've ever watched for another few seasons of Windup.

Nao-stani said:
Seriously, what's so great about Kaichou, I wonder. I, for one, enjoyed both KnT and ToraDora, because the characters there were awesome and partially because of other reasons, too. Here, I just don't feel anything. The side characters are there just for the sake of it.

I completely agree with you. The side characters seem to almost act as fillers and buffers to smooth the episode out so it's not just an !Usui! show (oh, and Misaki too). I think Usui rides in to save the day on one-too-many an occasion (the only time, to memory, Misaki saves herself is with those perverts in an episode I can't remember)
Saying that, I'll watch to the end if I can get time. Why? Because it's a classic shoujo. And I don't mean classic in the complimentary form. I mean that it follows typical shoujo format and form and does absolutely nothing to break away from it. It's exceedingly average in every move it makes.
And while I don't believe it deserves its average of 8.21 (the first season of Ookiku (Big Windup) has an average of only 8.28), I don't believe it deserves all the criticism it's getting - it's a simplistic shoujo - you just can't expect a stellar plot with amazing storylines. That's when you head to your more complex and original stories (calling them pretentious is being ignorant).

07-23-10, 9:19 AM

I do understand your point, however, Kaichou wa Maid-sama must have some sort of appeal to a lot of people, or else the rating wouldn't be as high as it is now (btw, i usually don't rate animes before i finished watching them..). Each person has a different preference so I think you should never judge someone just because he/she likes something else than you do. I totally love romance animes.. a show doesn't always has to be super unique for me to give it a good score - My rating depends on how much I enjoyed the anime. And right now, Kaichou wa maid-sama is one of the animes I have enjoyed the most this season..
(and after all, why do you even care?! You don't have to watch it if you don't like it..
There are a lot of more overrated -and more popular- animes then Kaichou wa maid-sama in my opinion..)

07-23-10, 4:45 PM

As of right now, I think it is extremely overrated. I can't see how this show is above an 8. This might change, but so far almost every episode has been filler-esque, and most of the events in the show don't take more than one or two episodes to cover.

07-23-10, 5:49 PM

tl;dr thread

but lol at people who actually look at the overall ratings on MAL.
Especially when the show isn't even finished yet.

07-23-10, 7:19 PM

I bet when it ends and more than just the fangirls put in their scores it will drop, like Ichiban did.

07-28-10, 9:09 AM

Redfoxoffire said:
I bet when it ends and more than just the fangirls put in their scores it will drop, like Ichiban did.

I agree.

07-29-10, 8:12 AM

i dunno about the whole overrated stuff...but to me it's quite simple

if the show is interesting to watch, it deserve to get the rating...
for me though, i'm really enjoying the show
(been following the manga before it was adapted into anime)

some people might hate it for the slow pace...but heck, Kimi ni Todoke is guilty of it as well...just because your fav series ended up have the same or below kaichou rating...there is no need to make huge fuss on how bad the series is

everyone entitle for their opinion...and it just so happened that yours are not the same...

on the series itself, i do admit the pace is slow...infact...too slow
assuming the anime only last for 24eps,
i do not know how they could even cover up what been shown in 2nd ending...
which is like chapter 41 from manga...and the next ep18 is like what? chapter 21

they can't just wrap 20 chapters of story in the remaining 6eps...
Modified by Baronight, 07-29-10, 8:29 AM

07-29-10, 9:06 AM

What Baronight said is true.

We can all argue about other series, besides KWMS. For example, there was so much hype over the Gundam 00 series, Macross Frontier or even Death Note. While i did enjoy watching Gundam 00 and Macross Frontier when they were released, i thought they were abit overrated once i've finished it. As for Death Note, i did not like it and hence would have given it a low rating. Fanboys and girls everywhere will start saying i'm nuts or something but its how i felt.

It's a simple matter of personal opinion. U either like it, think its average, or hate it. We can go on and on about other series and crapping about them but it all boils down to what they enjoy. Me personally, i'm enjoying this series right now and i would naturally rate it highly. I know there are other series out there that have done the exact same formula and are alot better than it but it doesnt matter. Given the choice, i would probably take KWMS over them any day simply becuz i love the characters in this series.

Hence, this entire topic is rather redundant since it ends up being an individual's personal opinion and not exactly a general consensus view of the whole world. We must realise that anime series are a form of entertainment after all, some people will enjoy a particular type, others won't.

07-29-10, 1:08 PM

i think im with you on this one...the story is a cliche, so does the characters...
but there is something about it that make it interesting to watch...
in fact, combining previous and current season of anime...
KWMS still ranked my top5 best anime from both seasons...

i really like Ayuzawa personality...and before anyone bashed "she is another tsundere type"
i think she kinda stand in a way better than other tsundere char...

i find Angel Beats is overrated with score 8.51...
but i still respect people opinion/preferences and never complain how bad it is...
people enjoy it, so be it...

08-02-10, 7:15 AM

Euzio said:

Hence, this entire topic is rather redundant since it ends up being an individual's personal opinion and not exactly a general consensus view of the whole world. We must realise that anime series are a form of entertainment after all, some people will enjoy a particular type, others won't.

You win this thread~ 8DD

in all serisousness though~ over rated threads are just a way for people to complain that they don't like it, so it shouldn't be so popular~ which is just silleh~ xD

I don't honestly think kaichou would be anywhere near as popular without the manga~ thats most likely the reason this is scored high~ but how much does it REALLY matter that the score is high~

I'm with baronight with ayuzawa xD i wouldn't say she's complete tsundere~...sometimes she's just stupid~ :'D which is why i prefer her to some more plain tsunderes~l

i agree on angel beats aswell~ i didn't much love the story~ didn't get past first few episodes though xD; but i very much liked the animation~ still....im not going to go bash on angel beats wall with my opinion~ specially since i didn't finish it~
nipah~~

08-04-10, 2:26 AM

Yes, even Í cringe at the sight of this show.

08-04-10, 2:29 AM

Amazing world we live in.
Overrated has different meanings in different countries I guess.
No wonder it's pretty confusing.

08-04-10, 11:03 AM

You know what shows are overrated? NGE and Elfen Lied. *cough cough*

08-04-10, 11:55 AM

I'm starting to hate this Anime....... I can't stand the "Usui Factor" in it. Though I loved the first 10 episodes, after the pres fell in love with him, it was over.

Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices