Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 27, 2010 6:23 PM

Jan 2010
Come on, 8.23 (at the moment I'm writing this)? Is there any point in which this series is above average? Is it just the fangirls drooling over Usui (which I really can't understand)? In my opinion, this series fails as comedy, fails as romance, fails at most everything, basically.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 27, 2010 6:25 PM
Jun 2008
Kaichou wa Maid-sama is extremely average, and not even in an acceptable mind rot way.

But it's not the most overrated show this season. That would go to Rainbow.
May 27, 2010 6:42 PM

Jan 2010
tehnominator said:
Kaichou wa Maid-sama is extremely average, and not even in an acceptable mind rot way.

But it's not the most overrated show this season. That would go to Rainbow.

Rainbow is rated at 8.22, Kaichou wa Maid-sama at 8.23; Rainbow is definitely the better one among these two, at least in my opinion.
May 27, 2010 6:47 PM

Jan 2010
DarkSageRK said:
You're an idiot. The show is fun and that's all that matters. The only failure here is you and your inability to grasp the concept of watching an anime for enjoyment instead of whatever pretentious shit you like to judge your shitty anime by (Monster as your favorite anime? You're trolling me, bro).

If you're the average fan of this series, then I'm beginning to understand the scores. My point is that this anime isn't even funny, unless you enjoy watching the same jokes over and over again.
May 27, 2010 7:02 PM

Jan 2010
Most animes aren't funny in the sense that they make me laugh. This one is no exception. But I like it. It's predictable, but the interactions are fun to watch. I don't see where the problem with that is.

I may have exaggerated a bit in my first statement, but my question was what exactly is above average in this anime in your point of view. The character interactions aren't really any different from most average shoujo (even shounen) rom-com, I can't see it as enough reason to justify the current scores.
May 27, 2010 9:02 PM
Apr 2008
It's my #1 time sink show for the season. It doesn't really fulfill any other kind of role and I don't see giving it more than a 5 or 6 at best.

Is it bad, though? Not really. The main problem is that it isn't any good, either.
May 28, 2010 12:48 AM

Sep 2009
DarkSageRK said:
You're an idiot. The show is fun and that's all that matters. The only failure here is you and your inability to grasp the concept of watching an anime for enjoyment instead of whatever pretentious shit you like to judge your shitty anime by (Monster as your favorite anime? You're trolling me, bro).
I agree with this, while I would probably put it in a more polite way, but that's just how I am.

I think it's sad that some people become so jaded about stuff like music, video games, that they lose sight of what it's all for. Entertainment.

I refuse to listen to hype about anything until I've actually watched it. I don't care what others think, if it entertains me, I'll enjoy it. If not, I won't watch it.
“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence...”
May 28, 2010 1:17 AM

Feb 2009
grklein said:
Come on, 8.23 (at the moment I'm writing this)? Is there any point in which this series is above average? Is it just the fangirls drooling over Usui (which I really can't understand)? In my opinion, this series fails as comedy, fails as romance, fails at most everything, basically.

Based on your profile

I generally prefer dark and complex storylines, but I watch most kinds of anime, except kiddy ones like Pokemon. I'm not much into manga, I've read only a handful of them, mostly after watching the anime adaptation (like Aoi Hana and Elfen Lied).

THERE's your answer as why you see it overrated.

As to justify that "fangirls drooling over Usui", you can't blame them, since the manga is okay and is actually a good read. I do admit it has it flaws but the manga is really good. Also, even before the anime begun, the manga already has a huge fanbase. It just added that others were surprised and liked the anime version, and some guys, not only girls, really is contented with it.

You won't enjoy it because, basically, Kaichou wa Maid Sama isn't deep and Pretentious. I suggest drop the series rather than making yourself feel irritated and as to question WHY do they enjoy this shit.

Anyway, I am sensing you're just probably annoyed/BUTTHURT that you're fave anime this season is not doing well in MAL.

Honestly, why so care so much on what the scoring system? You can't fucking expect that everybody will rate the same thing as how you would rate it! I don't care if the anime I HATE/dislike is on the top 10 of the MAL rankings, but I won't bitch and start a thread, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE AND YOU GAVE THIS SHIT SUCH A HIGH SCORE.

Lastly,
At first I was like, (╬ ಠ益ಠ)
Σ(゚∀´(┗┐ヽ(・∀・ )ノ <--- Then I was like
In the end, I was \(▽ ̄\( ̄▽ ̄)/ ̄▽)/ヤッタァー!!
May 28, 2010 2:11 AM

Jul 2009
^I cannot help but agree with the above post. So true.
May 28, 2010 3:41 AM

Jan 2010
1. No, for me the most overrated anime of season is "Angel beats".
2. If you visit any website of any anime at MAL, you'll notice that there'll be always at least one person who will say "it's a shit, it's overrated". You're the one here.
3. I still haven't rated it, probably there is going to be 24/26 episodes, so I'm still waiting (I attempt to not rate if I haven't seen at least half of anime).
4. There's something wrong with rating at MAL :)
May 28, 2010 3:57 AM

Jul 2009
LOL since when a show didn't get overrated by the fanboys or girls? get over it, if you hate it go watch something else, don't hurt yourself by watching something you dislike or bitching about someone's else taste

And no i'm not Usui's fangirls i hate him, but i watch it for the maid outfit only XD
May 28, 2010 4:20 AM

Oct 2007
Yes its average, yes its been done plenty of times before, but its what a lot of people like. Just gotta get used to it.
May 28, 2010 4:24 AM

Nov 2009
Not that I dislike their work or anything, but I find it somewhat surprising that there would be any question as to what the most overrated series of the season is in a season where KyoAni is doing a show.
May 28, 2010 5:27 AM

Jan 2010

As to justify that "fangirls drooling over Usui", you can't blame them, since the manga is okay and is actually a good read. I do admit it has it flaws but the manga is really good. Also, even before the anime begun, the manga already has a huge fanbase. It just added that others were surprised and liked the anime version, and some guys, not only girls, really is contented with it.

I think you hit the nail here.

You won't enjoy it because, basically, Kaichou wa Maid Sama isn't deep and Pretentious. I suggest drop the series rather than making yourself feel irritated and as to question WHY do they enjoy this shit.

I do enjoy lighthearted series aswell, my point is that this anime isn't anything special, it's miles bellow something like Kimi ni Todoke, for instance. Maybe the manga is good, but the anime isn't (it isn't that bad either, I admit, there are worse shows airing). And what exactly are "pretentious" animes? Shows that care for things like plot and character development?

Honestly, why so care so much on what the scoring system? You can't fucking expect that everybody will rate the same thing as how you would rate it! I don't care if the anime I HATE/dislike is on the top 10 of the MAL rankings, but I won't bitch and start a thread, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE AND YOU GAVE THIS SHIT SUCH A HIGH SCORE.

I don't really care about the scores, I was just wondering what makes people see this series as above average. And I did drop this series after episode 7.
May 28, 2010 6:30 AM

Feb 2009
grklein said:
I do enjoy lighthearted series aswell, my point is that this anime isn't anything special, it's miles bellow something like Kimi ni Todoke, for instance. Maybe the manga is good, but the anime isn't (it isn't that bad either, I admit, there are worse shows airing). And what exactly are "pretentious" animes? Shows that care for things like plot and character development?

I don't really care about the scores, I was just wondering what makes people see this series as above average. And I did drop this series after episode 7.

It isn't anything special in your "OPINION", but to others, they might see something that appealed to their 'taste'. It's just really a matter of preference.

As for me, I didn't like Kimi ni Todoke that much because of MCs, but it was not a bad series, only the MCs were so annoying to watch. I only watched it because of Ryuu Sanada.

Pretentious anime = tries to sound smart (and herpderp deep) but utterly fails.
At first I was like, (╬ ಠ益ಠ)
Σ(゚∀´(┗┐ヽ(・∀・ )ノ <--- Then I was like
In the end, I was \(▽ ̄\( ̄▽ ̄)/ ̄▽)/ヤッタァー!!
May 28, 2010 6:40 AM

Oct 2008
Karosene said:
I think it's sad that some people become so jaded about stuff like music, video games, that they lose sight of what it's all for. Entertainment.

Not that I've seen this series, but I've definitely read this argument before. Now I can understand being defensive about people criticizing hollywood films that I find or would find entertaining. However, I don't see that many different movies in theaters anyway and my knowledge of what's generally considered good and bad storytelling isn't as sharp as others. Thus I probably don't have half as much of the experience watching films as many others do who can easily tell how good, bad, or average a movie is to them. Their tastes can vary, but they can tell when a film is flawed or not and explain their reasons in-depth instead of merely saying "eh, I thought it was just funny."

That same thing applies to me with anime, only somewhat the opposite. I have seen a bunch of shows, enough for me to tell that when 20-30 shows a season appear, there are a LOT of escapist shows with the creator(s) not putting a whole lot of thought into them, and not a lot of shows that can still prove to be entertaining while still having the audience gradually think about the plot the characters, the art & animations, etc. I actually had this probelm this season with B Gata H Kei, assuming the premise showed how unique and entertaining this show could be, when I realized it made no sense to me and made me want to drop the show by episode 8. And I watched episode 9 without subtitles just to see if it my mind would change. And it didn't. It felt almost as predicatble as I thought.

Many shows also use very similar cliche themes and don't bother to try to apply much thought behind them if you watch enough of them. If you tried looking at the preview guides each season in just the past couple of years alone, you probably will notice how many seem to use the same themes, settings, etc. over and over again.

Also @ grklein:

If it makes you feel any better, I think the highest-rated show this season is Big Windup: the Summer Tournament chapters at # 149, the sequel to a baseball show. Not even Angel Beats or K-ON!! topped that! And I can probably only speak for myself on this, but that show is highly-rated for a REALLY good reason!
May 28, 2010 6:54 AM
Jun 2008
Hypeathon said:
If it makes you feel any better, I think the highest-rated show this season is Big Windup: the Summer Tournament chapters at # 149, the sequel to a baseball show. Not even Angel Beats or K-ON!! topped that! And I can probably only speak for myself on this, but that show is highly-rated for a REALLY good reason!
I think Anime has too less sports genre in it.I don't even remember watching any sport genre Anime last year .
Rare=Low competition=highly rated
Big Windup is incomparable to other Anime ..
May 28, 2010 6:55 AM

Jan 2010

I have seen a bunch of shows, enough for me to tell that when 20-30 shows a season appear, there are a LOT of escapist shows with the creator(s) not putting a whole lot of thought into them, and not a lot of shows that can still prove to be entertaining while still having the audience gradually think about the plot the characters, the art & animations, etc. I actually had this probelm this season with B Gata H Kei, assuming the premise showed how unique and entertaining this show could be, when I realized it made no sense to me and made me want to drop the show by episode 8.

I had the same problem with B Gata H Kei, it was a promising series, but failed utterly. Kaichou wa Maid-sama isn't as bad, but also failed to deliver, in my opinion.
May 28, 2010 7:01 AM

Jan 2010
DarkSageRK said:
You know, I just realized. Your average rating is 8.0. If anyone is to talk about overrating shows, it's not you.

I admit I'm usually fairly generous when rating anime, but I don't think that's enough reason to disqualify my criticisms. I think this only shows that I do enjoy anime, it's my favorite form of entertainment.
May 28, 2010 7:23 AM

Oct 2008
grklein said:
I had the same problem with B Gata H Kei, it was a promising series, but failed utterly.

I don't want to go too great into detail about my problem with the show, but basically I hoped Yamada would learn there's more to life than just wanting to have sex or feeling insecure about it (as if there was any reason explained she wanted to have sex with 100 guys). Instead, it fell into these unnecessary scenarios, there wasn't a single adult in the show to guide or teach these influenced teens, half of the characters had no point in being in the show (come on, a childhood friend and a flirting rival with her own set of twinkles?), and Yamada's way of thinking made no sense and felt unrelatable.

MorningGlory said:
I think Anime has too less sports genre in it.I don't even remember watching any sport genre Anime last year .
Rare=Low competition=highly rated
Big Windup is incomparable to other Anime ..

Eeehhh... I don't think it's entirely incomparable. If we're talking about baseball alone, I think there were a number of people at the ANN forums comparing Big Windup to Cross Game as to how it didn'y have enough romance. That and there's the 6th season of Major. And if we're talking about sports in general, there is Giant Killing this season and there was Hajime no Ippo last year.
May 28, 2010 7:32 AM
Jun 2008
@Hypeathon
LOL Hajime no Ippo ,I totally forgotten that..
Maybe I not a sport fan ,and I just totally overlook those thing .
anyway this is out of topic
( bye bye)
May 28, 2010 7:37 AM
Jan 2008
I don't know anything much about current animes of this season but if we're talking about the series being overrated, then I definitely agree with it.

I think most people rate an anime base on how they enjoy it. No matter how lame the concept is or how unoriginal the story is, there will always be some fanatics who will give the anime a perfect score (10 out of 10). Well, that's really nothing much compared to those who rated a series from 'A' down to 'F' just because it didn't end the way they want it to (yes, I've seen it before).

It's hard to be unbiased when it comes to something you like or dislike. But probably, just probably, when you come to a certain level, then you might be able to judge something wisely. As of now, I have a feeling that those who rated the series higher than 8 are mostly new to anime (based on the stats, 3k out of 7k rated it more than 8) or just fans of the manga.

(I remember how I used to be fanatic about Pokemon during the early years. Back then I would have given it a score of 10. But now, when I look back, I think that the series didn't deserve a score of more than 6.)

When it comes to rating an anime, I prefer to rate it out of 5 rather than out of 10. Personally, I won't rated an anime base on 'entertainment' only. There are other things that I've taken into account like story/plot, characters, sounds (bgm, voices & songs), arts & animations and finally, rewatch value.

When it comes to entertainment, I only give this series a score of 2.5 out of 5 (that's a 5/10). The reason why I keep watching this is because it's a current series, not because it's entertaining. I've yet to rate the story & characters because the series is not yet ended. As of now the story is just average & I really have problem with Takumi character (I'm still giving the series a chance to improve him)

As for sound, neither the bgm nor the songs are catching my interest but they aren't bad & I'm glad that the characters have decent voices (3/5). Art is good & characters designs is much to my liking rather than Fruit Basket or Ouran (4/5). Lastly, I don't think that I'll rewatch this series ever again. Even if the series not yet ended, it has a very low rewatchable value for me. (0.5/5).

So all in all, the series only score 2.5 out of 5 (which means 5/10 = just average). This is not yet the final score as I skip the rating for the plot & characters.
multiMay 28, 2010 7:59 AM
May 28, 2010 8:32 AM
Jun 2008
@DarkSageRK
I guess people are asking for an agreement.
but even if people agree that this Anime is overrated.You will sure say
"The show is fun and that's all that matters."
So I think those people who call this Overrated is just wasting their effort.
and the process just go on and on and on....but i think this Discussing thread won't reach as long as Angel Beat ^^
May 28, 2010 9:05 AM

Oct 2008
MorningGlory said:

I've heard more than once that the flow of endorphins one gets from having their own opinion repeated back to them is second only to sex. So, ...having someone agree with you is the next best thing to getting laid.
May 28, 2010 9:19 AM
Jun 2008
hahah ^^
that is just human =P
Then why are you here?? ~.~
MorningGloryMay 28, 2010 9:28 AM
May 28, 2010 10:41 AM
Jan 2008
DarkSageRK said:
I love it when people invent arbitrary categories to try to show that they're smarter than everyone else. If you were really smart, you wouldn't be wasting your time watching things you don't like simply because they're airing.

FYI, unless you vote things 0/5, average would be 2.75 ((.5+5)/5=2.75). Something to think about, Mr. "Only noobs would disagree with MY scores"

I never say I don't like it. It's just doesn't entertain me much. Whether I'll drop it or not, it's for me to decide, not you. :) If I want to waste my time, then it's my problem, not yours. Somehow I don't know why you see me as trying to be smart but hey, it's my way of rating things not yours. Perhaps you feel low because you only rating a series based on how it appeals to you. Well, that's your problem then.

I only voicing out my agreement with the op about the series is being overrated despite it's nothing more than just an average show. This isn't a place to just 'worship' the series. People also have the rights to criticize it.
Perhaps you are just one of those people who are 'new' to animes. Otherwise you're just a mindless fanatic of the series who can't stand other people criticize your favourite show. :)

Oh, btw, my way of rating is different from yours. 5 is average for me. 6=above average/decent, 7=good, 8=really good, 9=excellent, 10=masterpiece.

Entertainment = 2.5
Story = -
Characters = -
Sound = 3
Art = 4
Rewatch value = 0.5

(2.5+3+4+0.5) / 4 = 2.5

That will be my score out of 5. (Notice that I divide by the 4 elements: entertainment, sound, art, value). This is MY way of calculating the score. Let's say everything has a perfect score which is 30. Divided by 6 elements. Then it's a score of 5 out of 5. If it's out of 10. Then (2.5 X 2) / (5 x 2) = 5/10.

So before you're trying to be smart yourself, why don't you be smart enough to ask people how they calculate their score instead of trying to show how smart you are. Just like how people view this anime differently, people also have different way of calculating score. :D

MorningGlory said:
@DarkSageRK
but even if people agree that this Anime is overrated.You will sure say
"The show is fun and that's all that matters."
So I think those people who call this Overrated is just wasting their effort.
and the process just go on and on and on....but i think this Discussing thread won't reach as long as Angel Beat ^^

I won't say it's a waste of effort if the op manage to get people to agree with him. Surely it's not like the rating will change after 'the minority' voice out how overrated the series is, but this just show that there are people who thinks that an average show like this doesn't deserve such high rating. I'm not a pro or a pro wanna-be but I don't think even a pro-viewer would give this show higher than 8.

If there is anything to make you fanatics feel better, I'll say that the series is not the worst but it's not the best either. Like I said before, it's AVERAGE. Isn't that better than saying that it's the worst/bad? And I also mention before, I've yet to rate the characters & plot.
May 28, 2010 11:06 AM

Jan 2010

I only voicing out my agreement with the op about the series is being overrated despite it's nothing more than just an average show.

That was exactly my point, this is just an average series, there's nothing really outstanding about it, but isn't that bad either.

Oh, btw, my way of rating is different from yours. 5 is average for me. 6=above average/decent, 7=good, 8=really good, 9=excellent, 10=masterpiece.

My way of rating is also a bit different from yours: 5 is bad for me; 6 average; 7 somewhat good; 8 good; 9 very good; 10 great or masterpiece.

May 28, 2010 9:59 PM

Feb 2009
...Anime is entertainment.

Kaichou wa Maid Sama! is perfect in terms of mindless entertainment.

The characters are charming and it's funny, with some romance in there. That's why it's rated high. If it's not your cup of tea, well then, watch something else.
May 28, 2010 11:16 PM

Nov 2007
DarkSageRK said:

I agree with this.

People need to learn to stop calling anime overrated, just enjoy anime for what it is, entertainment. If it's not entertaining then drop it and don't complain about how you don't agree with the scores.
For various anime and seiyuu stuff
http://www.youtube.com/user/KaitouDark55
May 29, 2010 5:10 AM
Feb 2010
Everyone has different tastes so no one should say anything is overrated. Some say Rainbow is the best this season, some say Rainbow, some say House of Five Leaves... etc.

Why make your opinion when there obviously isn't only one opinion expressing which is the best show this season?

As for the score 8.23, MAL is quite screwed with that... maybe. I saw someone who gave at least 90% of all he saw a 10. And he told me he rewatched everything. So, can some1 say that he's wrong? Yes, if you are trying to force your opinions on others.

Btw I have discussed a few shows with other ppl, a large batch of ppl feel Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu is the best show last season, while a handful (including me) analysed it and decided that the show was rather poor cos it was mainly fillers. Come on, how much of it was on the unique system of school battle? More than 50% of it seemed to be fanservice. I read the manga, but not the light nove. The battles in the anime were of less detail than the manga. But I still watched the show to the end, cos it interested me. That's all. No right or wrong. And I gave it a 5 or 6.

Entertainment and whether it interests you or not is the crux of watching an anime. If it doesn't interest you, not matter how great it seems to you you probably won't watch it. An example for me is Air (TV) and K-On. I got bored after a while, but those two definitely have potential.

So, please guys, dun compare this and that just because other ppl have differing views. Flaming is especially redundant, but constructive comments are helpful.l
May 29, 2010 5:11 AM

Mar 2009
Haven't watched it, but read it before- and yeah, it's due to all the fangirls and retards who only watch to see that Usui person.
May 29, 2010 5:26 AM

Oct 2008
grklein said:

this...but it isnt epic fail as u make it look...its mediocre though..can be tolerated

AND
Hypeathon said:
MorningGlory said:

I've heard more than once that the flow of endorphins one gets from having their own opinion repeated back to them is second only to sex. So, ...having someone agree with you is the next best thing to getting laid.

THIS
May 29, 2010 7:37 AM
Jan 2008
robokai said:
People need to learn to stop calling anime overrated, just enjoy anime for what it is, entertainment. If it's not entertaining then drop it and don't complain about how you don't agree with the scores.

Oh? So people cannot criticize about how an anime is being overrated? And people cannot complain & disagree with the rating? Ridiculous, even the Hollywood movies are being criticize by some other directors & viewers. The so-called entertainments are being critcize by the pros & cons.

This is a forum, not a fanclub. People agree & disagree with others & they debate about a certain subject. If you think that people need to learn to stop calling an anime overrated, then how about telling people to learn to accept that there are other people who think that this anime is not as superb as majority sees it? It seems unfair that the minority should just keep quiet about it. And as I mentioned before, nothing will change the rating even if some people doesn't agree with the scoring. So why can't the minority speak out their opinion?

Dunkjoe said:
Flaming is especially redundant, but constructive comments are helpful.l
The only flaming I can see here the one who call someone an idiot for expressing his opinion. The op only ask simple questions, why is this series being overrated despite that he finds that the anime is just average which seems just like a failure to him? What makes it highly rated when he only see it just as normal as any other rom-com anime?

Then you have the fans started to rage out just because of HIS opinion. They simply can't accept such negative comment about the so-called ENTERTAINMENT. I don't see the op calling others idiot for giving the show such high rating. He's just speaking his mind out. How on earth is that count as trolling, I wonder. :| And it's far from what I see as flame-baiting.

Like I said, some fans just can't stand their favourite anime being negatively comment & criticize. Hence, they reacted whenever someone speaking ill about the anime that they like/love.

You also have some people coming & was like,"Oh, come on. Just enjoy for what it is. It's JUST an ENTERTAINMENT." If it's just entertainment, then why do you have some people overreacting whenever the series is being criticize? Why s that there are people who wish a certain anime character to die? Why is that you hate a certain anime character so much eventhough it's just an anime character?
multiMay 29, 2010 7:41 AM
May 29, 2010 12:10 PM

Jan 2009
OK honestly i am extremely surprised that Everyone is getting mad at this anime for being overrated but kimi ni todoke. I mean that anime has entered the the top 60 and is tied with Toradora when Toradora is like 10x better than that piece of shit. I do agree that 8.20 for this anime is pretty high but nothing too serious.
May 29, 2010 12:57 PM

Feb 2008
I personally think Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou is the most over rated series of the season. At 7.8 for a bland plot, one dimensional characters and horrid animation I'm shocked and appalled it has an average rating! It belongs more in the 5-6 range I believe.
May 29, 2010 1:12 PM

Jan 2010
Hinata020 said:
I personally think Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou is the most over rated series of the season. At 7.8 for a bland plot, one dimensional characters and horrid animation I'm shocked and appalled it has an average rating! It belongs more in the 5-6 range I believe.

That's true, for me only Mayoi Neko Overrun (whick even at 7.11 is grossly overrated, imo) is worse than Ichiban this season.
May 29, 2010 2:20 PM

Jul 2008
I don't know if it is the most, but I do think it is overrated. It isn't bad, but nothing about it makes me want to score it above a 6 or 7.
May 29, 2010 2:51 PM

Feb 2009
DarthVantos said:
OK honestly i am extremely surprised that Everyone is getting mad at this anime for being overrated but kimi ni todoke. I mean that anime has entered the the top 60 and is tied with Toradora when Toradora is like 10x better than that piece of shit. I do agree that 8.20 for this anime is pretty high but nothing too serious.

Ahh, claiming that something is disgustingly overrated by arguing with something that is even more disgustingly overrated... Toradora! was supposedly an amazing series, and in the end, I could barely sit through it.
May 29, 2010 5:12 PM
Jan 2008
DarthVantos said:
The op isn't mad about the series getting a high score. He's just surprised that that this anime is highly rated. The ones who are getting mad are some of the fans of this series.

Even I felt like I got trolled for agreeing with the op. And it seems like people even accused me of saying that it's wrong to rate it base on entertainment when I'm just telling people how I rate my anime which is based on the 6 factors. I never said, "Ok, this is how I rate my anime & you all should follow my style of rating things."

Don't you think that it's the fans who are trying to force their opinion on others here? That they are trying to say that we, who think that the anime is just average & doesn't deserve high rating, are WRONG.

As for this rating things, I don't rely on it much. I remember how the rating influence me into buying Azumanga Daioh. People said that it's funny but when I watch it, I hardly lol. It didn't even made me chuckle. I understand the jokes but I just find them too bland. Now I just left it to rot in my collection box & NEVER to re-watch it again :P
May 29, 2010 10:54 PM

Dec 2008
I can't say anything about this season as a whole -- I believe Maid-sama and Working are the only two I started -- but I have to agree that Kaichou wa Maid-sama is turning into a below-average series. I read the first volume of the manga and enjoyed it, hence why I was looking forward to the anime when it was announced there would be an animated adaptation.

I watched the first episode or two and, while somewhat disappointed when comparing it to the manga, I enjoyed it enough to keep watching. Slowly, though, I've just been increasingly bored by it. I've lost interest in the characters and the plot is predictable. There is nothing noteworthy about the animation or music. It's cute but the humour feels forced and is therefore not as funny as it should be. Where is the Maid-sama I fell in love with?

tl;dr here are much better rom-coms out there. I'm hoping this series either improves because if it doesn't, I might just switch to the manga =/ (which I really don't want to do...my currently reading list is getting too long)
May 30, 2010 1:23 AM

Jul 2008
i gave this show a 7/10, just so you know what i think of this show but...

its an 8.23 by over 7,000 users. if you guys dont like this show, it just means there are alot of people who don't share your opinion.

my opinion, specifically, is that this show is not funny, but at least its watchable. i get bored with anime very easily (a show can consider itself lucky if i watch more than 7 of their episodes. if i watch half, then its amazing i have that attention span) and so far im still watching this one.
May 30, 2010 4:51 AM

Jan 2010
Aeterna said:

I watched the first episode or two and, while somewhat disappointed when comparing it to the manga, I enjoyed it enough to keep watching. Slowly, though, I've just been increasingly bored by it. I've lost interest in the characters and the plot is predictable. There is nothing noteworthy about the animation or music. It's cute but the humour feels forced and is therefore not as funny as it should be.

This pretty much covers my main problems with this series.
May 31, 2010 10:42 AM

Oct 2008
DarthVantos said:

have to agree wit you . Knt was highly overrated . It was another average show which didn't deserve the attention it got . . And being on par wit toradora makes it actually look worse . . I mean . . Those two anime are a class apart . . . .
May 31, 2010 10:49 AM
Mar 2008
A lot of recent shit is overrated, be it kiminitocrap or maidsux, get over it. MAL users just need an anime girl blushing to give the anime a 10.
May 31, 2010 11:51 AM

Mar 2010
Some people are talking about how good Kimi ni Todoke was compared to Kaichou wa Maid-sama, but I actually think they're at the same level (blunt, overracted, predictable, kinda boring, etc). I'll try and watch Kaichou wa Maid-sama until the end, though. Hopefully, the awkward feeling I get while watching it will improve, I don't know ^.^
"No artist desires to prove anything. Even things that are true can be proved."
May 31, 2010 12:56 PM

Jan 2010
DarkSageRK said:

namelissis said:
grklein said:

Based on your profile

I generally prefer dark and complex storylines, but I watch most kinds of anime, except kiddy ones like Pokemon. I'm not much into manga, I've read only a handful of them, mostly after watching the anime adaptation (like Aoi Hana and Elfen Lied).

THERE's your answer as why you see it overrated.

Anyway, I am sensing you're just probably annoyed/BUTTHURT that you're fave anime this season is not doing well in MAL.

Lastly,

I agree with both of these.
If you hate the show so much drop it and shut the hell up. It's annoying reading all of your complaints.
Oh, and I love the picture <3
May 31, 2010 8:09 PM

Jan 2010
novemberskycat said:
While I quite love Kaichou, I can understand why people might not "get" the popularity of it. I think the reason I'm so partial is I've read the manga and enjoy watching the story unfold. It seems a little fluffy at first but it's shoujo and very cute. I also look forward to when it will gain much depth like the manga. There are many animes I've watched which have started out slowly and ended spectacularly.

I feel the need to reiterate this is a shoujo romance. Generally these types of genres are not considered "good" by the eh... discerning(trying to find a nice word here)... anime fan. If you dislike shoujo, then it's very likely you probably don't like familiar plotlines. However, just because a plotline is familiar it doesn't necessarily make the show bad. I hate it when people use that excuse to give a bad score.

I'm not a huge fan of shoujo romances, but I don't dislike the genre either, this is not my problem with this series. For me, its main faults reside in the shallow characters and predictable and repetitive plot; from what I've read, the manga is far superior to the anime, but the adaptation is quite average in my opinion. Maybe those who read the manga, knowing how the story unfolds and how the characters develop, can ignore these faults; this anime probably was meant primarily to the manga fans, and it seems to have succeded this way.
grkleinMay 31, 2010 8:15 PM
May 31, 2010 9:09 PM

Aug 2008
Meh.... And again... the guy who gets pissed to the fact that a lame Anime is clearly overrated while it's still airing... First of all, IMHO - MY! - the shows should be rated until they end, or you end watching them 'cause they can get better while they progress.

Example: Someone already mentioned Pokemon right? Well just look at the Art of the first season... Compare episode Pikachu, I choose you! and the last of the season... the Art is really better... and much more if you compare that first episode with the recent ones. So they have potential... But Pokemon DP and Pokemon are two different things in the end ne?

Well my point is that shows deserve a second opportunity and we all know that they can improve while they're still running. IMO KWMS! Art has gotten a little better, the music sounds and voices are remarkably well done, they are not sloppy or mismatched to the situaion. Maybe the ED is not liked but I loved it 'cause it more or less describe Usui. The plot is generic but it's still okay since they don't over do it plus the premise is nice. And finally the characters are... Well the San Baka are really funny, Igarashi is so funnily menacing, Misaki is awesome yet exaggerated and extremely cuter than in the manga, and finally Usui, still unbelievable like in the manga, but he has his charm

But I rate Animes more accordingly to my enjoyment. Meaningm my scores are mostly biased. And If it manages to entertain me, 'cause in the end that's what Anime and Manga are for, I will give them a good rating. If KWMS! ended right now I'd give it an 8 or 7, mostly 'cause the plot is weak.

Oh BTW, I do read the manga and I'm up to date... And in the last 6 months I lost my faith for the manga bu the last Chapter and the Anime really revived them! It's so cool seeing all the people being alive, animated and seeing all that funny stuff going on... Really the Anime and the Manga have their charm.

Personally I like the Anime 'cause it follows faithfully the manga. The last episode as of now (ep.9) was really WTF but the other episodes were really interesting! Were like I just imagined they would be. And I applaud JC Staff for that 'cause it's not really easy to pull out such thing. Sometimes censorships make you do stupid things to your anime and JC is doing a nice job there. Not that the Anime can be a target for censorship, but you sometimes can display some stuff in air...

In the end you know what's the problem? It's not the fact that people overrate it but it's all 'cause MAL's rating system is a little bit screwed up. It really hypes the popular series and dumps some awesome series to low ratings.... SO what should be ask for is a better Rating System, not complaining for the fanboys and fangirls... Consider me a KWMS! fanboy :P

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 31, 2010 11:19 PM

Jun 2008
Does every show airing this season have an Overrated topic on it yet? Should I cover whatever is left?
Jun 1, 2010 12:35 AM

Nov 2007
>implying the most overrated show this season isn't Angel Beats
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Anime or manga

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 6

7 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 7, 12:46 AM

Poll: » Kaichou wa Maid-sama! Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 23, 2010

388 by Troy_The_Boy »»
Apr 6, 6:52 PM

Poll: » Kaichou wa Maid-sama! Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

taim - Jul 15, 2010

142 by xevi_dx »»
Mar 24, 12:41 AM

Poll: » Kaichou wa Maid-sama! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

francismeunier - Apr 22, 2010

165 by xevi_dx »»
Mar 22, 8:52 AM

Poll: » Kaichou wa Maid-sama! Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Sep 2, 2010

128 by antoninus_v »»
Mar 21, 8:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.