Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 5, 2016 10:47 PM

Sep 2016
Best One Piece movie, and one of my favorite movies in total. I loved the darker feel, and the antagonist's backstory was good enough to be its own series. Rarely am I so interested in components of One Piece other than poneglyphs and the void century, but this movie really captured my heart. Luffy's grief and the antagonist's grief are portrayed very well here. 10/10
...better to be hated for what you are than loved for something you are not.
Mar 1, 2017 2:33 PM
Jul 2018
This was the best movie until now. Not that I was expecting any less from Mamoru fucking Hosoda. The only thing I found off was the whole thing with the Mugiwara separating. I liked where they were going with Nami (Usopp's joke was tasteless as fuck), her hate feels justified, but it is not really solved by the end. Sanji and Zoro's argument just seemed like their usual stuff so I don't get why they were so serious this time either.

By the end, we don't get resolution to any of these conflicts so it feels a little surface-level. It's not like the movie didn't have time (the movie is only 90 min long, it could still go for a few more minutes easily) so really this is all just laziness.

Either way, this was an amazing movie. DJ was really cute too, loved his voice and design.
Mar 29, 2017 1:28 PM

Jan 2015
This feels like a very good movie, just not a One Piece one. The atmosphere in this movie is drastically different from the main series and what you've come to await from anything related to One Piece. It's only emphasized by how dissimilar the graphics and sound design from the main series.
It does make it pretty unique, and something to watch for sure. You can definitely see how much influence the director had on this one if you've seen some of his other works. This movie is of a far better quality and production value than all the previous ones.
However, it didn't feel quite satisfactory in the end. It's hard to explain. The flower's powers felt more like "magic" than anything else. Lots of what happened didn't mesh well with the existing One Piece material, especially in the second half.

I wasn't even unprepared for it, I knew what I was getting into and how different the tone would be, so I don't think my opinion on it would change after a rewatch.
Apr 14, 2017 11:39 AM
Sep 2007
Mamoru Hosoda should direct every single One Piece thing.
Apr 17, 2017 4:21 PM

Feb 2016
A nice twist on the themes of bonds in One Piece and etc. I definitely liked the overall change. Some things disappointed me as I think the movie had 9/10 potential but whatever.

Im thinking that maybe Mamoru Hosoda should direct a thriller/mystery some day cause the atmosphere was really outstanding.
SpaghettiSpikeApr 17, 2017 4:26 PM

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Apr 25, 2017 11:26 AM

Feb 2011
awesome movie, not as dark as i heard of it before watching it

this movie released around the time of the enies lobby arc, but there are parts of it which were way before their time
-like every nakama being "eliminated" to leave only Luffy left despairing (which did later hapen in sabaody)
-and the awesome final punch, which is very similar to the punch to the world noble, again in sabaody

wonder if this movie inspired the manga or the other way around

compared to other movies of one piece this one was a refreshing change

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
May 7, 2017 6:12 PM

Oct 2014
Wow this movie has some very contrasting views here.

Personally I thought it was the best movie yet. While the previous movies have been decent, none of them have really stood out as memorable. The fourth movie with Gasparde is the only one I really can remember clearly, and that only started scratching the surface. The others have been mostly forgetable. They all seem like sort of fun side stories, while this is the first movie that really seemed to develop as it went on and left a lasting impression like most of the arcs in One Piece leave you with.

First off, the animation. It's certainly different from the usual One Piece style, and for the most part I didn't really enjoy it. However I do think the ending of the movie was done much better in the style they chose than they could have done with the usual. There are some other notable moments that were nice throughout the film, but I do think this is a weak point of the movie.

The story was a surprise to see from a non-canon movie, but it was a welcome foray into some of the deepest messages in One Piece. It was darker than One Piece usually delves into, and dealt with insecurities in the Straw Hat's bonds, as well showing the despair that Luffy feels when faced with losing his nakama. A great forshadowing to a later canon arc.

The pacing was good, and the movie went from comedy to uneasiness, to the tense atmosphere to the stifling hopelessness near the end of film. It flowed well and nothing felt rushed or too dragged out.

People have pointed out that the crew was acting completely out of character throughout the film. While I agree that they seemed different I interpreted it as something the villian was causing. This was pointed out by Nami during the conversation with the goldfish keeper.

She said that they had never fought like this and didn't really know why because there was no reason to be.

I though that was a clear indication that there was something influencing some minor squabbles we know and love (Sanji vs Zoro, and others bickering) into big insecurities that caused a divide in the crew. This is further evidenced with the villains main depth involving losing nakama. He even relished in the fighting between the family crew, indicating that his goal all along was to get the crew to break their bonds.

A flaw in the movie has to be the abrupt ending. We never really got to see what happened, or an explanation to the behaviour clearly. This seems to be where the big divide in opinions stems from, because without a clear reason for their actions and seemingly lost memories of the events, people have to come up with their own reasons for the crew's actions. A lot of people chalk it up to poor writing, causing the stark contrast in opinions.

Overall 8/10. A different and memorable One Piece experience.
Jun 7, 2017 7:48 PM

May 2014
Wow. One Piece looks like it got the SHAFT treatment- Toei surprised me!! *o*
This was freaking awesome from start to finish, and also very creep & unsettling.

Art and direction were gorgeous and really brought the crew's zany shenanigans to life! I loved every second of this and the comedy was on point too.

Honestly, it was like a bizarre mash-up between the Davy Back Fight arc, Sabaody Archipelago and Skypiea (with the Ordeals)!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 17, 2017 1:44 PM

Jan 2014
Fuck, I rewatched this movie after a couple of years, and my god when after the Baron gets defeated by Luffy and starts crying on how he doesn't want to be alone anymore, it made me bawl my eyes out

This should be the number 1 rated One Piece movie tbh

10/10 fucking One Piece man
Sep 23, 2017 11:03 AM
Sep 2017
Those who said that this is a bad/worst movie are pussies. This is the darkest turns One Piece had in the plot (not that its really included in the main plot). And i love it. <3

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 23, 2017 11:15 AM
Sep 2017
Strawberrycake48 said:
This was freaking awesome from start to finish, and also very creep & unsettling.

Art and direction were gorgeous and really brought the crew's zany shenanigans to life! I loved every second of this and the comedy was on point too.

Honestly, it was like a bizarre mash-up between the Davy Back Fight arc, Sabaody Archipelago and Skypiea (with the Ordeals)!

Mamoru Hosoda, the one who directed the film, left TOEI Animation after this movie and went to MadHouse, which is a good choice since that's an amazing anime studio. Hosoda most likely doesn't like TOEIs way of doing the animation (since it's so shitty, especially the TV series). TOEI, up to this date, is still fucking up the animation for One Piece TV Series just to milk this popular show. I hate them so much.

Apr 29, 2018 8:46 AM

Nov 2015
Very creative movie and interesting discussions here on the forums. I won't say it is my favourite movie (Z, Strong World en Gold I find better) but I enjoyed it nevertheless. I watched this old movie because I have been watching one One Piece episode/week for quite a while now so I miss sometimes a longer One Piece story episode that is why I decided to watch a movie. The cover of the film is quite misleading, I did not caught my interest but because of things I read on Reddit I gave it a try.

Actually liked the artstyle, reminded me of the earlier days of One Piece. The scene were Luffy is losing his crew resembles the scene where Kuma is destroying the crew, a very powerful scene, was cool to remember it. The Villain was okay, more background would have been usefull and interesting.

Overall a enjoyable, darker, one piece movie 8/10
Aug 9, 2018 9:56 AM

Jun 2016
The striking visuals and animation were great! They reminded me of Masaaki Yuasa. However, that’s about all the praise I’ll give this movie. I hated how they wrote the amazing characters of One Piece to behave out of character and like kindergarteners. I was actually somewhat offended. Around the halfway point I had to put the movie on 2x speed to even finish it.

I’ll start with the nitpicks before the real criticism. They got a letter on the Grand Line about going to this island, but it didn’t explore how they got there at all. How would they get their log pose to point there to begin with? Why would Usopp tell Muchi that he was lying about being the goldfish master? He’s a liar but he makes his lies true. Daisy, who was adorable by the way, randomly had superhuman hearing. It was my prediction that she had Mantra, Aisa style. However, it seems that’s not even the case. She had a plot device power of superhuman hearing to make the plot come together. Stellar writing. Another nitpick is, I understand One Piece itself isn’t super consistent with its technology, yet this island consisted of almost purely massive mechanical amusement park rides and shifting floors and it felt like it wasn’t even a part of the OP universe. We also didn’t get a single shocked reaction upon meeting Chopper, or at least not one I noticed.

Onto the more legitimate criticisms. The amazing Straw Hats acted as if they were kindergarteners! We got scenes like how Zoro and Sanji fought the entire time, something that is alright since it’s plausible and possibly likely and something that’s neat since we rarely see the two alone together. The problem comes from how they hated each other for so long because of it. The two can fight all the time, but they shove that off, they let it go. Here they fought more than ever and ended up acting like little kids who refused to talk to each other anymore. Zoro slept as always, and Sanji came to him and told him that he wouldn’t feed him because he didn’t cheer him on! Sanji knows Zoro sleeps all the time when he’s not acting on some kind of goal, and that goes against his own code of feeding the hungry! Sanji would feed a hungry enemy! Speaking of that scene, we had him jealous over another cook and the praise they were getting. Sanji has never shown jealousy, only anger when a cook has been exposed to have been wasting food or something along those lines. He gets up on stage to make better food than he’ll make. That entire segment made Sanji look like a bitter teen drama queen to Zoro, and a jealous overcompensating kid to that cook.
We also got the Usopp and Nami forced drama. Usopp gets sucked away by the wings and Nami things he’s left her behind. He comes back showing that’s clearly not the case and saves the day. Nami who may punch him and get it over with in the series, is so upset by this she calls him a back stabber. Then Usopp calls back to Arlong arc with a really deep blow and something genuinely hurtful that he would never say, and he calls her the back stabber. Where does this get us? To a scene where he follows her around the cooking pit to try and get her attention, and the normally confrontational Nami runs away from him without saying a word like.. you guessed it, a kindergarten student. The central conflict of this movie essentially rendered our amazing cast to the level of mindless emotional children. That’s not okay. At the end of the movie they are no longer overtly avoiding each other and they walk towards Luffy together, forgetting about the plot point that was one of making them the most unlikable it possibly could.

For a plot criticism, the lily carnation and the Baron were some really shallow ideas. For an hour and thirty minute movie we could have delved far deeper into both concepts. We didn’t though. All we know about Baron was he lost his crew, a crew strong enough to contest with Gol D. Rodger himself, on a stormy night. He had to endure the loneliness of losing his friends. He managed to find the lily carnation, a magical flower of death and rebirth, and used it to create the illusion of his old crew, one that somehow pertained the memories up until their death. What was this lily thing in the end? Who knows. What we do know is to keep the illusion alive he had to sacrifice pirates to it and this involved him luring other pirate crews with the lie of of resort to make them suffer through the pain he went through and in turn symbolically allow him to lessen his pain by living in an illusion. Sure this sounds cool, but that’s all we know about it. The Baron himself was a shallow shell of a man who represented spite and refusal to accept tragedy and he was crazy. That was it. If this was one of the first 50 minute films that would be fine. The fact that when I played the movie at 2x the subs were readable and it went so slow I had to confirm that I had it on 2x speed makes me think they hardly did anything with this. His crew themselves were entirely forgettable and didn’t have more than one recognizable trait other than Muchi who was my favorite new character in the film after moustache man. This, to me, says that this entire film was built on shallow ideas and to implement them they wrote the cast as unlikable brats and that’s what the film is, all with a nice visual flair. I liked the last movie better than this, and if you saw my thoughts on it I hated the last movie in comparison to the rest of the films.

It did have some stand out moments and to say it didn’t would be unfair. I loved the goldfish catching scene. Usopp calling himself the goldfish catching master, and seeing their teamwork as the got it in their bucket was hilarious, lively and memorable. I thought Daisy grabbing Choppers hand was absolutely adorable! And finally, I loved how Luffy punched out the Baron and saved moustache pirate before everyone gave the moustache pirate signal!

Unfortunately, apart from the stand out scenes and the new artistic take on One Piece, the rest of the movie was slow, boring, and at best mediocre, while often actually vaguely offensive to One Piece fans. For that, I think this is far below par and a 3/10. Easily the worst One Piece Movie yet.
Mar 7, 2019 11:54 PM

Jan 2010
So, I first watched this movie over a decade ago (around 2006 or 07?) and didn't think much of it at first. I was in middle school back then and this movie just wasn't what I was looking for from One Piece, for reasons similar to what others here have already echoed. Nowhere to be found are the moments of sheer enthusiastic triumph, the epic bravado and optimism from the main series. There are barely any fights and the few that are present follow a very different, more subdued approach. No badass walks and rousing music that builds to a crescendo with a flashy finisher. No moments of glory for the strawhats to show off (besides, arguably, Sanji's amusing little cook-off). What you have left instead is a slightly more "grounded", somber take on the franchise. I didn't dislike it on my first watch, but I also didn't like it. It was just some weird OP movie I watched and eventually forgot about. For the longest time I dismissed it as just another mediocre Toei-original feature.

Fast forward over 10 years into the future, and as Hosoda catapulted into anime stardom I began hearing some praise within OP communities about this weird little movie he had directed long ago. The movie had always had a cult following, but as time went on I do feel like it started getting a bit more traction for various reasons, from its art style to its darker tone to it being directed by a now well-stablished name in the industry. After hearing praise from some youtubers I was curious enough to revisit it someday. As I made my way through my re-read of the One Piece manga I eventually rewatched Strong World, which got me in a good mood to try out another movie, so... I'd been meaning to reevaluate this one, so why not?

I just finished it earlier today and am still kinda processing what I just watched. This movie feels so different from the rest of the franchise in both tone and imagery but, unlike before, I don't say this as a knock against it. Rather, I feel like its uniqueness is precisely what sets Baron Omatsuri apart as perhaps the strongest feature film in the series. Strong World is your typical OP arc streamlined in a neat little 110 min. package, a (gorgeous) straightforward rendition of an "OP-lite" storyline, which certainly makes it fun but not particularly noteworthy outside its niche. Baron Omatsuri on the other hand feels very much like a good piece of film-making first and foremost, with any concerns over strictly adhering to formula and expectations as secondary priorities at best. That's not to say the movie tramples on its source material though: the strawhats still feel like believable versions of themselves, with some great chemistry and interactions early on and their character traits essentially intact; the resort island feels like an authentic, if a little undeveloped OP setting, and the Davy Back-like premise is beffiting of a classic OP romp. The little moments of jarring OOCness could be reasonably attributed to the Lovecraftian-esque Lily Carnation indirectly influencing the strawhat's behavior/mood by reenforcing their negative traits, flaws and insecurities, and the trials served as catalysts for the conflicts to foster. The narrative leaves it vague enough, but I think the crew being perfectly fine by the end of the movie strengthens the idea that what happened between them shouldn't be taken at face value. With the Lily Carnation gone, they just went back to normal. You could argue the internal conflict itself was sort of unnecessary and could've been ditched entirely without altering the movie's themes significantly, but for the sake of creating uneasiness it was a fine plot device that didn't overstay its welcome imo.

And that feeling of growing uneasiness is essential to set up the third act. It's a gradual build-up to one of the most haunting climaxes in the series. The use of silence throughout the second half of the movie, the gorgeously dark visuals, the voice acting, it all adds up to deliver some absolutely striking sequences that I won't soon forget. It also explores some story beats we wouldn't see until much later in the series and does so incredibly well, which makes me wonder if perhaps Moria's background and the Strawhat's defeat at Sabaody weren't at least partially inspired by this. At the very least some of the anime staff seems to have been inspired by it if the tenryuubito punch, which closely mirrors Luffy's final blow here, is any indication. And who can blame them, that punch is amazing and leads to a genuinely heartbreaking and poignant final scene with the Baron and his deceased crew that caps off the movie's main theme of loss in a satisfying way. Major props to Akio Ohtsuka for a stellar performance.

Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island is one of the more understated (and perhaps underrated) pieces of OP media out there. It forsakes in-your-face exposition and isn't afraid to just tell a great story while trusting the viewers to pick up the details and form their own interpretations. It's remarkably well directed and unlike any other shonen film I can think of. It's a different interpretation of One Piece, one as seen through the lenses of Mamoru Hosoda, but it keeps the essential elements of its heart intact and is all the better for it. These movies don't usually have much room to be more than adequate entertainment, so by differentiating itself through its visuals, storytelling and tone you can at least create an interesting "what if?" scenario within the OP universe. It's an approach I find a lot more interesting than simply trying to ape the more superficial elements of the main series within a limited time-frame, and makes me wish other movies had that same bold ambition to do something genuinely different with the infinite possibilities the setting and characters offer. Allow talented directors their own vision. Any notions that it's somehow disrespectful or offensive to its source material are frankly absurd to me. It's not part of the official canon anyway and therefore has no real obligation to strictly adhere to what is expected from Oda, so it should be allowed to flourish as its own thing.
YunoleffMar 8, 2019 8:06 AM
Jul 19, 2019 10:51 AM

Jun 2017
Yo dudes man,this movie was good,really good. Shall I be honest fam?

first 14 minutes in my head I was thinking what did you guys recommend me,because it felt like there were going to be no story,but then you could tell bit by bit that there is a story to be told that this man wanted people to feel his pain fam you know what I mean.

You know what was beautiful fam he's a villain but in a way you can see where he's coming from,this man was alone ever since all his friends died on a stormy night so he believed that everyone else needs to feel his pain which obviously isn't right but look at how beautiful that was,he brought all his friends back even though they are not there but he brought them back so that he could get that satisfaction of having them around.

If I was rewatch this movie right now my mindset would be different more like a haunted theme,all those people they were dead yo! you know what I mean they were goners but he just like to have them around fam.

And he wanted Luffy/Pirates to feel the same pain he felt,thats why he wanted Luffy to experience that sh*t. "What about your NAKAMA? don't you feel the pain that I'm going too"?

And the father had the best scene in the story with the arrow,and he did it for his daughter who gave him the boost.

Then Luffy my man hit him and it sent him back in the manga like he did with the Celestial Dragon in the anime fam.

I will never forget the Toothbrush Moustache Pirates LOL.

it's like in the last half of the movie it didn't feel like a OP movie at all,it felt too dark but I guess that was good about it fam you know what I mean,it's not like your avarage One Piece where you go to an Island and defeat Navy and that.

In this movie it showed what lonely can do fam.
CHECK OUT YOUTUBE CHANNEL FOR GREATNESS : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjBB704NbCItpMA7VhSQmQg
Aug 8, 2019 1:17 PM
Nov 2009
Watching One Piece related movies or episodes usually give a smile of my face. This movie though, I never laughed or smiled a single time. From beginning to end the atmosphere felt eerie and the tension between the strawhats were awkward to say the least. This is something I've always wondered about the show, what if the storytelling got darker? There's a mention of Gold Roger implying that he slaughtered Omatsuri's crew leaving him all alone by himself on the island. That being said, I never realized I would enjoy a darker interpretation of One Piece. I know Oda wouldn't turn his story into a horror/thriller but one could only dream of a seinen version of his story.
Aug 19, 2019 2:38 AM

Nov 2013
Great movie, never have I seen Luffy’s bond with the crew tested so extensively, even compared to Sabaody. Animation was some of the most expressive too with some seriously unsettling shots like when Luffy stretched his neck out as a last stand effort to try to save Zoro and failing miserably or when he was left standing seemingly lifeless after getting shot by all those arrows. Can agree with other users though that the art was too lacking in detail in some moments and I also didn’t like how some of the character behaviors weren’t exactly accurate. Really liked the darker atmosphere towards the end which was quite surprising. I don’t know why it took me so long to watch this, easily my favorite One Piece movie now followed by Strong World. 9/10
Oct 22, 2019 6:10 PM

May 2013
Damn it feels good seeing a one piece movie by the one and only Mamoru Hosoda, would say it's defenitely my favorite One Piece movie too (on the first 6), it's a lot different compared to the others one and that's for the best considering how the movies were getting kinda dull

It's a movie from 2005, the animation is godlike, they're a lot of interesting animations with luffy and everyone powers that are very pleasant to watch
Very funny movie (for first part at least) it made me laught a lot and last part is why a lot of peoples don't like this movie I guess, because they don't win everytime, but personnaly I liked it, it's a change of pace and show something with goods morals in the end.

Overall I think Mamoru Hosoda did a great job with that One Piece movie, the story around is well constructed (even though there is some incoherence there and there) and the news characters are very likeable, and Hosoda resonated very well the importance of every nakamas out there in the end.

For me it will be a 9/10 since I love a lot Mamoru Hosoda movies and his ideas that he put in those movies. I can understand the low rating of others people considering this as "bad' because this is not what they are accustomed of when they watch One Piece, but still I don't think it deserves that bad a note.

Cheers !

Jan 20, 2020 8:49 PM

Jan 2013
Agreed with TripleSRank/gfsdfgsdgsdfgs, this movie is shit.
Apr 21, 2020 10:56 PM
Jan 2008
I’m watching all of the old One Piece movies - most of which are forgettable with paper tiger villains.

This movie, however, is the best of the early lot. The animation is fresh, the tone darker, and the storyline emotional. I understand why some don’t like the way the characters change in the story - some of it feels forced. Attempts to justify the change ring hollow to me. The tension between Zoro and Sanji is easily believable, but the tension between Usopp and Nami is forced. This part did bother me.

Luffy’s response to his friend’s deaths didn’t bother me, but it might have if I had viewed this without the benefit of Sabaody.

I understand the dislike, but I don’t share it. I really enjoyed this fresh take on the Straw Hats.
May 26, 2020 11:25 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Strange movie, to say the least.

Characters behaviours are certainly very different (in a negative sense) and the forced tension/friction between the characters off. Sanji-Zoro, we’re accustomed to that. But Nami-Usopp and then Sanji going bonkers on Luffy was awkwardly introduced and handled, in my opinion.

Luffy’s reaction to the loss of his crew-mates was definitely different to what I was expecting but nothing really to gripe on from my side. If anything, I thought it was handled fairly well. A bit more to emphasise before the rematch would’ve been ideal but with only 91 minutes, I understand the reasoning to rush it a bit on that.

Villain was certainly interesting. In fact, the concept of the Movie was intriguing but lacking in practice at the same time, to sum it up. Damn, there were some dark moments I totally wasn’t expecting too. I’d argue it was a needlessly too dark considering how abruptly it ended off ultimately.

Animation style was miles apart from the tv series quite obviously, but I’m a fan of this style so it didn’t really bother me too much. Some solid animation at times and somewhat poor in others, I’m not going to bicker too much there.

Direction was pretty good in the first half, as expected of the great Mamoru Hosada-sama, but then second half was sort of meh, I reckon. I’ve watched Bakemono no Ko and Mirai no Mirai and loved them but something about this movie just didn’t click for me. Welp, here’s to hoping Summer Wars will fill that up whenever I get the mood to give that a shot (tentative date, later this Friday).

All in all, slightly disappointing if I’m to be brutally honest but fairly good nonetheless. As such, a solid 6/10. Perhaps I’m being a little strict here but it was a really strange experience and I don’t want to neglect that.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 23, 2020 3:26 AM

Sep 2019
It was awesome, totally different Than past one piece movie's. I liked how the movie turn dark, it was totally unexpectable.

7/10
Nov 25, 2020 4:03 AM

May 2016
Since I've watched two of Hosoda's most notable works beforehand, namely The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars, this reminded me of those two films in pretty much every aspect from the art and writing and even its flaws! With how much of a letdown the 5th movie was, I was amazed at how different this was in a good way despite some parts of the film leaving more to be desired such as the true nature of the Lily Carnation and how it can bring out the worst in people not being explained.

From the very beginning of the series, One Piece has proven that it can be dark at times but the film's second half surpassed my expectations to the point of overkill. I'm actually surprised that this movie didn't have the psychological horror tag with how freaky things ended up being even if it was just for a little while, as strange as it would be to see that in One Piece of all things. To think that one of the most grotesque shows of body horror I've seen in a while came from this franchise... Bruh.

Dec 4, 2020 5:11 PM

Feb 2015
Pretty good film although some of the in crew fighting feels like forced tension and the characters acting very different from normal. Animation is pretty good too for a 2005 movie.
An island from a dream within a dream? I could never pass up a great adventure like this!
Dec 10, 2020 12:09 PM
Aug 2020
I hope Hosoda will direct another One Piece film in the future, this was amazing
Jan 15, 2021 3:03 PM

May 2019
This was not that great in my opinion. The animation was good but the story was too rushed. Also some developments were forced.

I thought for a second Shaft made this.

5/10
Apr 29, 2021 10:58 PM

Aug 2015
Well, a weird movie, to say the least. 6/10

I liked the approach they took to the villain. Baron was interesting and the way he acted throughout the movie was well executed. The animation is kinda similar to what they did in Sabaody (in fact, many scenes were similar, including the final punch). Can´t say I liked the art style, but it fit the mood for the last part.

Now, everything else was terrible. They forced the characters and their behavior in a very unnatural way in order to make the plot advance and make sense. The only Strawhat that acted like they suppose to was Robin (and I´m pretty sure this is pre-Water 7, so she can barely be considered one yet). Luffy was terrible in both the psychological aspect of the character and the physical strenght as well. If you want to see how Luffy is supposed to act, watch Dead End, instead of this. None of the drama of losing his friends worked because (unlike the whole Thriller bark-sabaody-impel down-marineforc arcs) nothing was setup here, and the situation was completely different. Nami was acting like an ass and even went to flirt with the other guy for no reason, Zoro and Sanji were just annoying and didn´t do anything during the whole movie, Ussop took a jab on every situation and all of them lost to fodders. I truly thought the explanation for all of this was going to be "They are drugged because the island have something that manipulates people and makes them fight" or something. But it was just the writer completely going against their character.
Like, you´re gonna tell me Luffy is going to be stopped by a dude shooting arrows, when he literally died twice fighting Crocodile and still went for the third round in order to stop a civil war. Now here he´s done by the time 4 arrows are shoot at him. And for how interesting Omatsuri and his plant-curse were plot wise, being beating down in two punches just felt underwhelming.

I have to give credit because they definitively tried a different direction, but I can´t say those decisions were good. Plenty of plot holes, lots of bad characterization, hit or miss animation and a forced conclusion with some dark panels in order to make it feel more serious. Like someone said, this didn´t felt like One Piece at all. In fact, this movie tries to be borderline edgy in order to give shock value, which is always bad if your viewers left with the impression of "bad plot but looked pretty".
Pakumen-Apr 29, 2021 11:08 PM
May 23, 2021 9:37 PM
Apr 2021
Ginchanned said:
Strawberrycake48 said:

Mamoru Hosoda, the one who directed the film, left TOEI Animation after this movie and went to MadHouse, which is a good choice since that's an amazing anime studio. Hosoda most likely doesn't like TOEIs way of doing the animation (since it's so shitty, especially the TV series). TOEI, up to this date, is still fucking up the animation for One Piece TV Series just to milk this popular show. I hate them so much.

Toei has like one the best work environment and salary than most animation industries in japan, hell they even have a salary instead paying per cut, they also have a labor union and housing aid the studio is considered a great starting point for young animators to get big.
Sep 4, 2021 2:39 PM

Jun 2019
I was NOT ready for all these feels, favorite movie so far.
"NAKAMA!"
Dec 12, 2021 12:18 AM

Dec 2020
by farr one of my fav movies. tied with the fourth one i realllyy enjoyed this one

starting off with, the OUTFITSS im digging everyones looks this movie !! (putting this as a spoiler bc its longer than i thought it'd be lol)

moving onn, the amount of times this movir broke my little heart god damn. nami getting mad at usop and him just trying his best to make up with her when he didnt even know what he did wrong, sanji lashing out on luffy, luffy feeling guilty about things, the lil girl telling her dad that she could hear even the smallest whispers,etc etc but i do agree with some comments on how the character didnt really feel like One Piece, it reaaaally felt like a more complicated-dramatic version of them ane not that it was Bad just that iy didn't really feel like One Piece yk. some of the drama was just .. not it too. they wouldve been fine for other characters but not with these here. zoro and sanji fight allll the time but they went on a bit too long here. they usually just banter a bit, maybe have a lil cat fight but thats it -they brush it off after. nami also wouldn't go that far, she'd hit him a couple more but thats it

animation was really good this movie tho, big fan of the 3d shots. that boat race scene was amazing, there was a certain nami head turn scene that i couldn't forget for some reason. like it wasn't even a close-up shot of her but it was really nice

ending felt a bit rushed. we know how the baron story goes but what abt that lily shit?? did the flower just die from one arrow shot? did the baron disappear along with it??? Tf. and we could've at least gotten a make-up scene of crew who fought with each other.

still, enjoyed the movie a whole lot. it was reaaally fun, id rewatch it any time
Dec 16, 2021 11:03 PM

Jun 2013
Tbh it was a good movie but I feel like it doesn't fit in very well with the overall story of one piece. Not just that it was dark because one piece can be very dark but i dunno the vibe was a bit off. Maybe it was some of the camera work that made me feel like that - I enjoyed the way the characters were drawn but not so much the camera angles.

It would've been nice to wrap up the issues a bit more in the ending since when the strawhats do fight the nice thing is seeing them make up - which we don't really see. Also the fights weren't for a good reason, in the main story (e.g. Nami, Usopp) the reason for their conflict with the crew was deeply personal but here it was just built up stress which I feel they usually handle better than was depicted here.

Anyway I do think it's an decent movie with an interesting premise and very unique - I just didn't like how choppy it felt.
May 8, 2022 8:31 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Wow, this really feels like a movie directed by Hosoda from the angles to the animation direction. While I'm not a big fan of the scuffed style, it conveys emotion in a way the more detailed and clean one doesn't, which can be seen more on focus specially during Luffy's battle with the Baron.

Speaking of emotions, this movie had a lot, almost compensating for the previous one lacking in them. The quarrels and distrusts, the sense of loneliness from the Baron and the moustache dude, the fear and longiness for safety of the dad, there's quite the bunch to talk about. I also don't think the crew were acting out of character necessarily considering what was happening during the Water 7 arc. In that regard I agree with @jal90

Now the stakes are high for the next one.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Jun 14, 2022 1:37 PM

Nov 2010
I guess this is the mystery/thriller/horror version of One Piece? Not bad, but it doesn't fit One Piece IMO. I also didn't like the final battle, it was mostly drama and the villain is just an archer. 7/10
Jun 23, 2022 4:57 AM

Sep 2018
Pretty good movie, equal with movie 4 right now. 8/10. Those horror elements at the end were pretty surprising, neat little twist.
Jul 16, 2022 1:50 AM

Aug 2018
that's one hell of an acid trip
Jul 25, 2022 5:13 AM

Apr 2020
Beautifully animated, brimming with the lovely adventurous tone of the series with a remarkably fitting dark/horror tone seen nowhere else in canon or non-canon OP.

The dark/horror tone is very very different from the general optimistic tone of OP.
Top-notch director, by Mamoru Hosoda.
Oct 28, 2022 8:11 PM

Sep 2015
I do understand the whole point of the animations was intended, but the still images still bother me. Having all the animations jaggy and all would've been fine if it weren't for those.

The antagonist is for sure more interesting and better than Stampedes antagonist. Some gags were funny.

Overall a 5/10 for me.
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Nov 16, 2022 10:49 PM
Mar 2020
The best of the One Piece movies I've seen so far. Hosoda perfectly deconstructed the formula of One Piece.

It was great to see Luffy finally have to deal with the consequences of one of his many idiotic and self-centered decisions. The "trial of hell" gave me real "Davy Back Fight" vibes. Luffy always just jumps into things without ever considering the consequences, but everyone on the crew just enable it and things always work out for them in the end. Not this time though, I loved seeing what it was like for him to almost lose it all.

Luffy is an objectively terrible person. Self-centered, mentally retarded (actually), and virtually uncaring at times, he only gets serious when the chips are down, and never before that. He's either always distracted or stuck somewhere, and the shtick gets old after a while. What's worse is that everyone on the crew, especially Zoro just enable this destructive behavior.

Baron Omatsuri rightfully made it very clear to Luffy that he lost his Nakama because of the dumb decisions he made, and that their deaths were entirely on him (if you remember, no one else wanted to participate at first, and he forced them to because it "sounded fun"). Then when Luffy tried to punch his way out of yet another predicament, the Baron beat him down again. Exquisite.

After the Davy Back Fight, Luffy has mellowed out and become a lot less insufferable, and more ready to fight for his friends. I like to think the ending of this movie is canon (as it premiered right after that arc), that he really and truly felt the hopelessness and despair of losing everyone, and that he mellowed out to prevent that from ever happening again.

Hosoda's movies are never easy to get through. You really feel every single second and he always throws a lot of heavy dramatic stuff at you. Definitely a different take for a usually cheerful series, but one that was much needed and greatly appreciated.

8/10.
Dec 4, 2022 2:44 PM
Nov 2022
Esse filme é One piece?
A direção do filme é incrivel eu realmente amo esse estilo de animação e sei que muitas pessoas não gostam mas essa animação casa perfeitamente com esse filme por ser mais de terror/horror por ter a flor macabra
Mar 13, 2023 2:15 AM
Sep 2021
I hated it. Wonder why fans out there love it. The art style made everyone looked so ugly(especially the handsome Zoro).
Also, the straw hats splitting up is so pathetic, no way zoro would leave luffy all alone & luffy became an edgelord is what drove me mad

And then the movie briefly killed the strawhats, wtf

0/10 L movie
Apr 17, 2023 12:18 AM

Dec 2020
It took an unexpected dark turn by the end. Really enjoyed it. Nice art style, animation and clever movie direction.
Jun 9, 2023 11:01 AM

Aug 2019
Oh my goodness

This is one of my favourite movies!!

I really like how dark it got halfway through.

The animation was ideal for this film; it gave the impression of being silly, but it worked wonderfully with the plot.

I love how Sanji seemed jealous when Luffy shouted yummy to the other chef cooking.

Also, by the end, the flower was incredibly frightening.

Overall, a fantastic movie, I’m so glad I’m rewatching them.
Jun 19, 2023 10:05 AM
Dec 2022
erhgaerthgsdgfsrtghnsrthn
Jul 4, 2023 3:09 AM
Feb 2021
The animation was the worst, I love One Piece but this one hurt my eyes 😣
Jul 8, 2023 11:08 AM
Jul 2023
btdfhbb trghgr ge
Jul 19, 2023 7:38 AM
Oct 2019
Wow Mamoru Hosoda? I didn't know he was directing One Piece Movie.

This is the first time One Piece movie actually feels cinematic.
It's looks weird because we are so used to the usual tv series art style, it was definitely experimental but this is actually really cool.

I really like the antagonist here, Baron not just hurt Luffy physically but also mentally as well.

7/10
Definitely the best One Piece movie so far.
davidyodo24Jul 19, 2023 7:47 AM
Jul 27, 2023 5:41 PM
Dec 2022
patchface said:
AnimeHiggin said:
erhgaerthgsdgfsrtghnsrthn
niceeeeeeeeeeee

yessirrrrrrrrrrr
Aug 12, 2023 9:14 AM

Jun 2008
Man I wish we got more dark movies/specials like this one. Also seen a YT vid that covered it well.
Crazy and bizarre with a touch of hopelessness and body horror; safe to say, for the average shoenen watcher it's too much, but if you're into experimental weirdness, look no further. The plot's very simple and the ending was pretty abrupt tho.
Loved the fights and tension between ZoSan & UsoNa, some great moments for a shipper of those. The change in tone from the usual non-serious bickering was blatant. I would have enjoyed more development and friction with a resolution among ALL the crew members since we don't see that so often in the series. 
RenaPsychoKillerAug 12, 2023 9:18 AM

hugging six rabbits and having pink nightmares
Sep 15, 2023 9:34 AM
Apr 2020
Very different from normal one piece movies
Oct 7, 2023 6:18 PM

Jun 2015
I loved the darker atmosphere, the movie did an amazing job building up tension.

I see a lot of complaints about the cast being 'out of character' and I think they're missing the fact that... that's the point. Of course Nami wouldn't believe Usopp betrayed her. And while Zoro and Sanji bicker, you could tell Sanji was genuinely hurt by Zoro's words this time - of course they wouldn't let it go that far normally. Those should've been the first signs that this weird island was doing something to their minds, and foreshadowing for what was to come.

I quite enjoyed the side characters, especially the Chobihige captain.

The action scenes weren't flashy like in the anime but they were very cruel and nervewracking (seeing Luffy struggling like that was stressing me OUT!) and I think that helps the film have a more horror-y feel, which you can tell is what it's going for. Speaking of which, the scene were all of the Baron's companions turn into plants was so sudden, it did give me a bit of a shock.

Another complaint i have seen a lot is the 'plot holes' and how 'unexplained' this movie goes. Personally, as I'm understanding this as a One Piece horror movie, I can really appreciate that as leaving the creepier details to the imagination is a trademark of the genre.

8/10. Great movie!

I AM THE ONE CALLED POWER!
ANIME LIST  🩸 MANGA LIST  🩸 CARDS  🩸 CHALLENGES 
How foolish and conceited these humans be... 

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» One Piece Movie 6 looks like it was done by SHAFT

_jum3sixt_ - Feb 22, 2017

5 by Cubefield »»
Aug 23, 2021 8:09 AM

» Mamoru Hosoda

EvenJellyOn - Jul 2, 2014

2 by EvenJellyOn »»
Jan 29, 2015 3:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.