Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 13, 2008 4:57 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
For a moment, I thought that the boy would actually jump from the bridge. I'm glad Grimmer managed to "rescue" him :)
Apr 13, 2008 7:42 PM

Jul 2007
Very traumatizing what the boy went through, Johan is really mess up in the head.
Jul 22, 2008 12:12 PM
Jul 2008
Kayro said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
For a moment, I thought that the boy would actually jump from the bridge. I'm glad Grimmer managed to "rescue" him :)

Yeah same, I thought so too. This would make it more dramatic since Grimmer would probably feel sadness for the first time. This works too.
Aug 26, 2008 6:22 PM

Jun 2008
RightfullyMine said:
Kayro said:

Yeah same, I thought so too. This would make it more dramatic since Grimmer would probably feel sadness for the first time. This works too.

yeah me three
Dec 28, 2008 12:26 PM

Jun 2008
wow what johan did was really great. in an evil kind of way. it's the best in an anime
Mar 11, 2009 11:42 AM

Nov 2008
I can't find the words to describe Johan.It seems "monster" is not sufficient now...
I was so at this edge of the seat when Milos was about to fall.
"What kind of face am i making now?"
"You are crying."
One of the best scenes in the series.I can only bow before this anime...,again.
Apr 4, 2009 4:09 AM

Jul 2008
Still, what Miloch went through is probably a walk in the park compared to what Johan may have gone through at the age. But yeah, Miloch sure grew up quick, in he wrong kind of way.
Apr 29, 2009 8:01 AM

Apr 2009
yuzuru19 said:
"You are crying."

That was awesome... T~T

Johan > Monster
Jun 14, 2009 1:51 AM

Oct 2008
This has to be one of the most powerful episodes I've seen in this series so far. Corrupting and twisting the mind of a young child in such a manner. This is also the first time I've also felt that the word "Monster" isn't enough to even begin to describe Johan.
Jul 5, 2009 2:28 PM

Nov 2007
Johan is so twisted, but he's also a really fascinating character.

Grimmer <3

yuzuru19 said:
"You are crying."
One of the best scenes in the series. I can only bow before this anime... again.
Yeah, this line was SERIOUSLY awesome.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Jul 13, 2009 8:53 PM

Apr 2009
Johan is a right bastard...damn

Jul 21, 2009 6:28 PM

Feb 2009
Nobody in the anime world that I know has ever reached to Johan's level of cruelty. He's so frighteningly good at manipulating people and crushing the psychologically no matter their age. Kudos to the creator of monster. The characters are amazingly defined.

Aug 13, 2009 8:29 AM

Jul 2009
Fantastic episode - it never ceases to amaze me how depraved Johan is...that kid got totally messed up by him.
Oct 31, 2009 12:26 AM
Sep 2009
What was up with that "teacher" who wanted the kid to watch?
Feb 11, 2010 12:15 PM

Sep 2009
An amazing episode. What Johan did is truly a work of a manipulative master. And again he's done that for no particular reason. For him, making other miserable, is a way to his life meaningful. It might seem illogical for us, but it is truth. Johan builds his own life by destroying others'. The walk in the red light district, was spectacular. Every even that happened there made Milos despise life even more: his meeting with the first man built a foundation for it, getting a hug from that prostitute made him slightly believe Johan's words that he was not wanted, and that his life has no meaning, seeing the teacher fuck another prostitute made him believe, that even if people seem to be honest and good, they are still worthless scum who despise life, and finally, seeing a doped prostitute, clinging to life and speaking about death crushed him. Milos started to think that death really is the meaning of life.
No sig :(
Apr 11, 2010 7:33 PM

Jan 2010
Johan you goddamn son of a bitch. -_-
I love you~

Amazing how he so easily fucked up that kid...
\
Jul 16, 2010 12:16 AM

May 2008
Wow, I love how they keep elaborating and embellishing the idea that Yohann really is a monster... It makes you really feel what he is doing, and just makes you pissed at him.
Sep 30, 2010 7:46 PM

Aug 2008
I've never wanted to kick an anime character's ass so freaking much...Johann needs to definitely be put down..

Oct 16, 2010 11:19 PM

Jun 2009
God damn
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 15, 2010 3:47 PM

Mar 2010
awe poor little guy, he had to see all of that first hand, Grimmer seems confused

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Mar 19, 2011 11:31 PM

Oct 2007
So am I the only one that thought that whole business with the teacher was just a *little* over the top?

I mean, it was effective, but even by the end all I could think of was "Aww, Grimmer stopped him. That's kind of sweet. ... Anyway, the fuck was up with that teacher?"

Maybe it was just the flatness of the dub delivery. I have no idea.
May 18, 2011 2:39 AM

Oct 2008
Poor Kid. :|
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jun 2, 2011 1:29 PM
Mar 2011
TYSM said:
This has to be one of the most powerful episodes I've seen in this series so far. Corrupting and twisting the mind of a young child in such a manner. This is also the first time I've also felt that the word "Monster" isn't enough to even begin to describe Johan.

this

Was a well done episode had me like O_O the whole time and I got a little choked up at the end with Milos and Grimmer.
Mar 8, 2012 10:37 PM

Mar 2009
Poor kid.
Mar 17, 2012 8:43 AM

Mar 2010
poor kid...
May 5, 2012 12:39 PM

Jul 2009
Grimmer is my favorite character. It's really sad that he doesn't know how to outwardly express himself, though
Jun 8, 2012 3:24 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Johan is the Monster. Manipulating a child like that for is almost worse than killing him.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 15, 2012 2:36 PM
Dec 2010
Nice episode , unlocking Grimmers emotions and saving boy's hope was good watch.

BTW there are no such Sex cities full of prostitutes having sex in back alleys in Czech.
greenmartyAug 15, 2012 2:43 PM
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Sep 1, 2012 10:00 AM

Jul 2010
Poor Milosh :( I hate Johan so much. So much. How could he do that? But it was obviously because something similar had happened to him before.. :/
Sep 24, 2012 6:45 PM

Nov 2009
Find the change in Grimmer's personality semi-annoying, always asking if he is doing something right. Also what Johan did to Milosh was so fucked up, and the people in that city too, what a twisted teacher dude, who the fuck would make a kid watch him bang a hooker.
Oct 30, 2012 5:23 PM

Feb 2011
Johan's such a sick fuck. Grrr! *takes deep breath* So anyway...

The whole thing about Grimmer's inability to have emotion clarifies a few earlier things, like his somewhat weird reaction when he first told Tenma on the train that his son was dead. It also really explains why he smiles so much as it's one of the few expressions he can actually pull off. I felt really bad for him every time he asked Tenma how he should react (although it did also feel a little odd).

It's obvious the man has the capacity for emotion, but not knowing how to show it I imagine must be like being paralyzed in place, watching the world around you while your own body becomes a prison. When Grimmer finally cried at the end I wanted to jump in and hug him.
Dec 18, 2012 3:22 PM

Feb 2012
this episode was sad.

About Episode:

Looks like Milos and his friends where tried to help police to find that blond hair I mean Johan. But Johan founded Milos first.

Tenma and Grimmer where just in the orphanage asking where Milos went and investigating about it. I feel sad for Grimmer that he couldn't have any emotions to his son. So sad :( It was nice to see that those kids really care for Grimmer like he got that football card from kids.

Also another thing I was pissed off was that Johan was manipulating that kid and told that there is nothing good in a world and made him walk down that street because he knew that Milos would break down.

Luckily Grimmer and Tenma saved that kid. And first time Grimmer showed his feelings for Milos by crying. Johan is really bad and he really hates everyone but Anna and Tenma.

5/5
Jan 29, 2013 12:36 PM

Jan 2012
Well Grimmer did pretty good for a guy with no emotions. Also I'm glad the kid didn't jump, it would have been a shame.

Feb 26, 2013 10:46 PM
Aug 2011
I get a feeling so complicated from this episode.

First I laughed when I saw the random guy with long blonde hair in the beginning.

Then I felt so sad when Grimmer was saying he didn't know what to feel when his son died.

Then I raged because sending a child to the red-light district...
That teacher and everything just wow.
Mar 8, 2013 3:32 AM

Sep 2011
How did Tenma and Grimmer know where to find the kid?
Apr 28, 2013 8:26 AM

Apr 2013
Calling Johan "evil' is too soft. There are no words to describe who he really is.
And this episode made me cry. It was too emotional.
May 6, 2013 12:34 PM

Oct 2012
Kayro said:

Given twist of this series I wouldn't be surprised at all. But that scene with Grimmer's first true feelings was done greatly.

I am starting to think that death is really no punishment for all the suffering Johan has done. He has to suffer greatly for all of this.
May 21, 2013 7:42 AM
Aug 2012
Oh that old lady wasn't insane at all the said that she new it wasn't a girl it was a man in women's cloths- such a catchy lady! Damn Johan is very powerful that he only with words can kill people, now seems like he has almost done it with a small child's mind...Glad the Grimma and Tenma managed to save him.
Jun 1, 2013 11:12 PM

May 2011
Speechless...

Just so twisted... and beautiful.
Jun 24, 2013 9:05 AM
Jun 2010
Shit made me cry and I don't really cry that much. How optimistic that kid was about seeing his mother and what Johan put into his head. :'( He truly is a monster.

"There is someone that I must meet again. And until that day... not even Death himself can take my life away!"
Aug 6, 2013 11:44 AM

Jan 2013
This is a very disturbing episode.
But every detail is poignant and meaningful.

This is the definition of psychological medium.

Masterpiece.

Naoki Urasawa is a master writer.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
My brother and I compose classical and modern music, please click the link below if you're interested.
http://thesearethetwins.wordpress.com/

Please check out my profile to see what anime I recommend.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
Aug 7, 2013 10:22 AM

May 2013
that was just.. very disturbing :\ !!
but at least the ending was nice, how Grimmer got his emotions back.
Aug 21, 2013 8:33 AM
May 2012
Well I'll be damned if I was Milos poor kid seeing things like that at his age and Johann you sly monster even if you're cross dressing to look like Anna there is no need for you to wear skirt you can just use jeans or do you really love cross dressing that much.

"Tenma, what kind of face am i making now?"
"An ugly face""You are crying."

No seriously that line is wonderful.
Oct 25, 2013 10:50 PM

Jul 2012
This is new low even for Johan
Oct 30, 2013 3:00 AM

Jul 2009
great episode, it was a little slow at first, but it picked up pretty quickly!

wow Runge managed to meet Suk's mom!!!

and i knew the mother saw Johan as male.

she was looking at Johan is amazed on how beautiful he is :P

definitely heartless tactic by Johan!!

so that's how he breaks someone down.

tbh i thought Milos would be crossing the border and be shot with no questions asks since he'll just keep going.

poor Detective(forgot his name) where he was killed by being drunk and jump out of the building.

lol at the Germany teacher being super hyper out of the dumpster for some reason!

i though Milos was a goner :(

finally Grimmer cries after soo many years.

even with the death of his son and his wife leaving him, he didn't feel a thing till now.

so what happened to the real Anna and Dieter!?!?!

come on you can't leave us hanging like that!!

looks like i'll stop for now, gonna watch this again later today or this weekend ^^

gotta do that Japanese test of mine!! :O
Dec 19, 2013 2:46 AM
Oct 2013
Must be annoying for Dr. Tenma to answer questions
"hey, how should i react to that?","What face should I make?"
Jan 10, 2014 5:50 AM
Jun 2013
Johan is the man, defo one of my favorite characters in anime. The way he manipulates people's minds is amazing. I want to be like him. 8.7/10.
Jan 27, 2014 1:20 PM
Mar 2013
That teacher was disturbing.
Feb 10, 2014 12:00 PM

May 2013
Man I feel bad for Milos T_T
''We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths. As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are. That's what death is, don't you think?'' - Uchiha Itachi
Feb 17, 2014 5:23 PM

May 2013
I really enjoy Grimmer as a character. I like how his dilemma with expressing emotions was written in this series.

Johan is a very fascinating antagonist. His dialogue in this episode was interesting. I think it gave a bit of insight as to why he is doing the things he has done.
Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a problem.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

114 by egeD19 »»
Apr 17, 10:03 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

623 by Animequeen_xx »»
Apr 13, 5:54 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 11, 2008

134 by Ajanokoyna »»
Apr 13, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 55 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 15, 2008

70 by Dekuforce5 »»
Apr 13, 3:15 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 4, 2008

106 by wallus81 »»
Apr 8, 10:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.