Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 7, 2010 8:33 AM

Aug 2007
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
I've known about this outcome for almost a weak but the scans have finally been out. After all the potential was sacrificed it looks like the next arc is going to be about Gon regaining his potential back.
May 7, 2010 8:42 AM
Feb 2010
Gain potential back? That doesn't make any sense... well, stranger things have happened. I really loved this chapter though... poor Gon. :(
May 7, 2010 8:54 AM

Feb 2009
^I think he means the hidden talents and potential of Gon and Kilua that Hisoka was talking about. About them being unripe fruits and they will be stronger in the future.

That was an unexpected chapter...I'm still confused and shocked about Gon's transformation. Gon losing his arm like that and used it like a weapon was great. Wonder what the feedback is after using Nen like that.

Everyone's been saying that this will be over but I think this is going to take a while...
May 7, 2010 9:33 AM

Jan 2009
Man, I wish I could undo this chapter in my head. So sad. I don't want Gon losing an arm. Hopefully the Phantom Troupe/Spiders chick can sew it back.

I miss the Greed Island or York Shin City feel of this manga. Dire situations and stuff, but not this feeling of "it's all gone soon"
May 7, 2010 10:18 AM
Sep 2007
All I can say is wtf.
Hi
May 7, 2010 10:34 AM

Sep 2008
Hawaiian420 said:
All I can say is wtf.

^

ditto

where was the mangaka goinging with gon using his arm like a baseball bat?
May 7, 2010 2:36 PM

Jan 2009
Jesuvius said:
Man, I wish I could undo this chapter in my head. So sad. I don't want Gon losing an arm. Hopefully the Phantom Troupe/Spiders chick can sew it back.

I miss the Greed Island or York Shin City feel of this manga. Dire situations and stuff, but not this feeling of "it's all gone soon"

I forgot about the spider chick. I was wondering how he was going to get his arm back, but she never crossed my mind. Greed Island was my favorite, and in the anime, the eps from your avi (the game with Razor) were my favorite to watch.
Was in a hurry when I read this chapter......might have to go back and re-read it. It might clear up some of the stunned feeling I have right now.

May 7, 2010 3:23 PM

Sep 2008
Way to over the top :(

Although maybe it was needed? Gon did go the full distance in greed island but not to this extent.

I really hope the plot/character development is paid close attention after this arc/chapter because it could either break the series or not. Although we all should have known it would end somewhere like this other than we did not have a full conclusion about the results.
May 7, 2010 4:39 PM

Nov 2007
Gon goes insane and beats the crap out of Pitou then one of them explodes O_O? Or is that just another impact from his jan-ken-po
May 7, 2010 8:08 PM

Feb 2010
Didn't see that coming. I mean, Gon just used ROCKET PUNCH, hahahaha.
Ku ku ku~
May 7, 2010 11:11 PM

Apr 2010
wtf. the arm of Gon cut..... but it can stitch...... you remember when.... hisoka someone cut his hand....<<<< someone in spider..... stitch his hand.... and hisoka pay... money...
May 8, 2010 1:22 AM

Jul 2006
I wish there was a chapter everyday. I just hate waiting every week for a continuation of the story. One Piece I can wait for, just not for HxH.

I really do hope Gon regains his power in the next arc.

Also, both Gon and Killua mastered their powers at the same time. Wonder if anyone else noticed that.

May 8, 2010 8:35 AM

Jan 2009
I'm actually hoping that not Machi (she's his enemy, as cool as she is) but Leorio is going to help Gon. I hope he's gonna use his Nen to become a healer (cause he wanted to be a doctor)
May 8, 2010 10:12 AM

Apr 2010
I Hope the one who stich hisoka will.... help gon to stitch his arm......
May 8, 2010 7:29 PM
Nov 2008
It was a really, shocking chapter. o_o
May 8, 2010 8:27 PM

Aug 2008
What a brutal chapter. Eventhough it looks like Gon has clearly won, it all feels really sad.
May 8, 2010 9:52 PM

Oct 2007
Jesuvius said:
I'm actually hoping that not Machi (she's his enemy, as cool as she is) but Leorio is going to help Gon. I hope he's gonna use his Nen to become a healer (cause he wanted to be a doctor)

I hope this as well. I really just don't see the series going anywhere after all this. I stand by my opinion that Togashi-sensei is trying to end HxH. That Gon's hope would be Leorio both enforces that and gives a slight beacon of hope against that.

Time will tell.
May 9, 2010 4:37 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
End is nigh.

So who's predicting Gon will either:

1 - never be able to use Nen again
2 - die.

It seems to me pretty dark where this is going....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
May 10, 2010 8:22 AM

Jan 2009
wakka9ca said:
End is nigh.

2 - die.

I actually think neither. I'm sure it'll turn out alright
May 10, 2010 10:10 AM

Oct 2007
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa O_O
May 10, 2010 1:36 PM

Nov 2007
srsly wtf!? the last two chapters blew my mind... the end is near!
May 10, 2010 5:30 PM
Mar 2010
Wow, epic chapter is friggin epic. Gon is just so frigin awesome when he's overcome with sadness; it felt real and the way he looked back at Killua like that...total win. There are too many loose strings left to end the series (Hisoka, Chrono, leorio and kurapika, his father).

HxH a little while longer.

But damn I wish Neferpitou had joined instead of dying like that. Epic loss though
Las Lindas!!

Wanna know more? Too bad. They're all mine!

And you can't have Rachael...I saw her first!
May 11, 2010 12:22 AM

Jul 2006
Jesuvius said:
wakka9ca said:
End is nigh.

2 - die.

Yeah, those were really ridiculous theories. But what you said about Leorio is pretty sound. It will make an excellent scenario that makes a lot of sense, plus an older character will be back in the storyline.

May 13, 2010 4:34 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Justice316 said:
Jesuvius said:
wakka9ca said:
End is nigh.

2 - die.

Yeah, those were really ridiculous theories. But what you said about Leorio is pretty sound. It will make an excellent scenario that makes a lot of sense, plus an older character will be back in the storyline.

Oh c'mon, do you expect Gon to escape what he did unscathed? This is not Bleach (hopefully).

He sacrificed a great deal of his life energy and his Nen to do what he did. I wouldn't expect him to die, but completely losing the ability to use nen is not an impossibility.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
May 13, 2010 7:52 PM

Apr 2010
It can Nen Removal????

I want Every 3 days Updated hunter x hunter.....
May 13, 2010 7:54 PM

Apr 2010
May 16, 2010 10:40 PM
May 2010
i feel like gon is coming closer and closer to netero. as opposed to immersing himself in training for so long, gon is growing through his fight
May 19, 2010 2:41 AM
Mar 2008
Sephiroth472 said:
i feel like gon is coming closer and closer to netero. as opposed to immersing himself in training for so long, gon is growing through his fight

Um...anyone who would think that doesn't really understand what just happened. Gon's growth was unnatural and potentially may result in both his body and nen being crippled for life (well, probably not, seeing as he's the main character and all, but it's definitely a major setback), and his sudden aging, if it can't be reversed, means that he's probably just lost ten to fifteen years of his life.

This wasn't growing through a fight, it was a horrific side-effect of Gon's emotional trauma.

On another forum I hang out at there's been quite a lot of screaming about how the whole series is ruined now and Gon isn't Gon, and I'm sitting there going "good job Togashi-sensei" because the point of telling a story is to have a strong emotional effect on the reader. Gon is such a beloved character that this chapter hit most people like a punch in the gut (myself included). It took me a few days to even figure out how I felt about it and whether or not I thought it was a good plot twist. (Obviously, from what I'm saying, I've decided that it was good)

Though, call me jaded, but I suspected that Gon would have some kind of major trauma and/or loss of innocence at some point since waaaaay back in the York Shin arc (around the same time Gon and Killua were captured by the Genei Ryoudan). Nice to know my instincts are as good as ever (but a little boring - I don't get genuinely surprised by plot twists very often).
Aug 6, 2011 12:14 PM

May 2009
F*ck Gon! I'm the only one who feel sorry about Pitou? :P
Nov 2, 2012 3:05 AM
Nov 2011
bloodraevynn said:
Sephiroth472 said:

Um...anyone who would think that doesn't really understand what just happened. Gon's growth was unnatural and potentially may result in both his body and nen being crippled for life (well, probably not, seeing as he's the main character and all, but it's definitely a major setback), and his sudden aging, if it can't be reversed, means that he's probably just lost ten to fifteen years of his life.

This wasn't growing through a fight, it was a horrific side-effect of Gon's emotional trauma.

On another forum I hang out at there's been quite a lot of screaming about how the whole series is ruined now and Gon isn't Gon, and I'm sitting there going "good job Togashi-sensei" because the point of telling a story is to have a strong emotional effect on the reader. Gon is such a beloved character that this chapter hit most people like a punch in the gut (myself included). It took me a few days to even figure out how I felt about it and whether or not I thought it was a good plot twist. (Obviously, from what I'm saying, I've decided that it was good)

Though, call me jaded, but I suspected that Gon would have some kind of major trauma and/or loss of innocence at some point since waaaaay back in the York Shin arc (around the same time Gon and Killua were captured by the Genei Ryoudan). Nice to know my instincts are as good as ever (but a little boring - I don't get genuinely surprised by plot twists very often).

+1
Jun 23, 2013 10:57 PM

Jan 2012

That is all.
Mar 21, 2014 10:06 PM

Jan 2013
Wuut O_O
why make it all dramatic??
well, i know why, and Im surprised.
But Gon obv. ISNT dead.
o.o still, hurhur :)

oh yeah, and gon repeatedly hits her (as explained in the beginning) til he crushes her skull! dizam.

and gon didnt use his arm as a bat, but more a dagger. he STABBED it into Pitou's "nen zombie"
like what the fuckkkk. gonna break that elbow trying to keep a loose limb straight stabbin it into a body, if you ever have hopes of gettin dat back.
lol fuck my arm, its a weapon.

now dont make gon lose crazy power for this. wasnt necessary anywho!
still unexpected like always from togashi. gotta thank him for that.
dextronautMar 21, 2014 10:12 PM
Apr 30, 2014 3:34 PM

Feb 2014
What do people think about this power of Gon's? I see some regard it as an asspull, do you agree? I mean does it not make sense that an older gon would beat Pitou? And that enhancement can reach such growth with over-doing the 100% rule like Netero did?
May 1, 2014 12:36 AM

Oct 2008
TonyTonyStark said:
What do people think about this power of Gon's? I see some regard it as an asspull, do you agree? I mean does it not make sense that an older gon would beat Pitou? And that enhancement can reach such growth with over-doing the 100% rule like Netero did?
I think it's perfectly in-line with nen's rules. Gon's rage and determination has had a long, gradual build-up ever since Kite died, and it reached a exploding-point with Pitou when he/she admitted Kite was dead. Of course, Gon's abilities had grown a lot too, with a more intricate understanding of both nen in general and his latent potential. Gon's shown to have nearly unparalleled potential for growth, and would definitely become one of the strongest nen-users one day. As stated by Pitou before his/her death, he knowingly sacrificed all of it so that he may massacre the object of his rage and despair - and likely, it might not have taken much less to take out a determined Pitou.
May 7, 2014 6:30 AM
Jun 2013
Although a lot of people may think about it as an asspull, But I think the last panel of this page perfectly describes the whole thing:

http://i34.mangareader.net/hunter-x-hunter/83/hunter-x-hunter-1649754.jpg
Jun 8, 2014 8:49 PM

Jun 2009
I love it, Gon apparently sacrificing his potential/future for the sake of revenge is fantastic stuff. The feeling of foreboding, that a moment that should be a fist pumping "fuck yeah" moment is really anything but is just....wow, man. Just wow. Also, I love Pitou's last thoughts, that she/he was glad that she was the one to face Gon's wrath and not her King. It's almost like she won, ironically enough.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 19, 2017 9:06 AM

Nov 2010
In most other battle manga, this would be a triumphant moment and we would all cheer.

But instead, it's just sad. Gon losing his arm and then telling us that he's fine.. and how he can be just like Kite. And I just love Killua's reaction to everything. He's probably even sadder than I am.

I wasn't a big fan of the whole transformation the first time I read this, but then I wasn't as invested in the characters or the story because of the slow pacing with all the hiatuses. And many people still don't like it. But it all makes sense within the rules of nen and this is the moment that Gon has been going towards for a long long while.

Also, I do really like that Pitou's nen keeps fighting even after he's dead.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Chapter 63 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - May 13, 2014

6 by Waddledont »»
Apr 14, 5:16 PM

» Chapter 401 will come out

georgecretuu1 - Mar 10, 2023

14 by StardustCursader »»
Apr 12, 8:22 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Chapter 391 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ManWild - Oct 20, 2022

62 by removed-user »»
Mar 7, 7:52 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Chapter 1 Discussion

Canute - Jun 1, 2013

16 by Joel77 »»
Feb 28, 7:02 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Chapter 51 Discussion

Terrestrious - Jul 25, 2014

4 by Farm-key »»
Feb 18, 8:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.