Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 3, 2010 11:10 PM

May 2008
Very high rewatch value.
This was great.
Jul 4, 2010 6:27 PM
Jun 2010
Very good movie. I'll rewatch this after Im done with Monster. =))
Jul 23, 2010 5:53 PM

Jul 2009
I think Akira is one of the 'greats' that will stick in your mind for a long time. Although they had so much to put into 2 hours, the producers did an amazing job with Akira. Even more than 20 years later it still looks spectacular. For those that don't want an epic, brain-imploding piece of art, stick to watching your normal shounen anime.
YukushiJul 23, 2010 5:57 PM
"A detoxified Akihabara would just be another electronic town!"

Aug 22, 2010 6:13 AM

Sep 2008
Ok, so apart from the incredible animation that tops everything else ever, this movie had a really interesting story. Can't believe I hadn't watched it earlier.

Oh and 1080p remastered version is what I watched. Soooo nice.

Definitely worthy of the fame its got.

EDIT: Rewatched this. Still awesome.
5layerJun 25, 2013 3:48 AM
Sep 10, 2010 10:19 PM

Mar 2009
It was good. I didn't find anything gruesome though.
Oct 12, 2010 6:29 PM

Jun 2009
This has to be one the best anime films I've seen, and it now ranks up there with my favourites movies of all time. I can't believe some of the sheer detail and effort that went into the animation, and the fact this was made 22 years ago is even more impressive. The plot still confuses me, does Akira have access to basis of life? Is he just creation on a quantum level? I've started the mange, but I'll save my version of the film, as it, and especially the music, are so fantastic.
kyussmanOct 12, 2010 6:33 PM
Nov 4, 2010 12:34 AM
Apr 2010
Excellent Watch!!

I don't want to insult the film or anything, but the only thing I could think about toward the end was that episode of South Park with Cartman and the Trapper Keeper. They looked the same!!! XD
Nov 16, 2010 12:13 PM

Dec 2009
I was excpecting a mindfuck. And that is excactly what I got.

Still a little bit shocked about this one... hmm what can I say.

It was good.
Dec 13, 2010 2:29 PM

Jul 2009
Excellent! A true classic. I can now see why it has so much respect. As everyone else was saying, the quality of the art, the music, and the animation is superb. I can't believe I'm saying this about an anime older than I am!

If only there were movies of this quality coming out now. It was change the anime industry forever.
Dec 29, 2010 9:20 AM

Jun 2008
This has to be one of the most overrated movies ever.
It doesn't start badly, but it gets horrid quite soon. I don't know how I managed to watch something so ugly until the end. Ripping my eyes out would have been less painful than watching this fucked-up, long, presumptuous piece of shit.
Animation is great, yes. Is it the only good thing about Akira? Yes. Is it enough to rate it 10? Hell no.

hugging six rabbits and having pink nightmares
Jan 3, 2011 9:41 AM

Sep 2008
RenaPsychoKiller said:
This has to be one of the most overrated movies ever.
It doesn't start badly, but it gets horrid quite soon. I don't know how I managed to watch something so ugly until the end. Ripping my eyes out would have been less painful than watching this fucked-up, long, presumptuous piece of shit.
Animation is great, yes. Is it the only good thing about Akira? Yes. Is it enough to rate it 10? Hell no.

you wouldn't understand. Its a 'guy' thing.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jul 3, 2011 4:23 AM

Dec 2010
While I wanted to watch it for more than year or so, I had different expectations about what the atmosphere would be like. Well, I didn't see this atmosphere coming. It's quite depressing look on the future. I hope it will never become reality, because I didn't like a thing in Neo Tokio. This is not to be confused with my score on the anime. I liked the anime, especially when the story pressed on. Though, the OST was getting on my nerves most of the time. Most of the characters... well I didn't like them very much. 8/10 I'd say, everything else was very well done.
Dec 9, 2011 7:55 PM

Dec 2009
It was good classic movie, also I got the english dvd verson of this movie :)
Jan 4, 2012 5:48 AM

Sep 2009
Do i need to read manga first to fully understand this movie?
Jan 7, 2012 8:53 AM

Sep 2008
UrbanScythe said:
Do i need to read manga first to fully understand this movie?

no, in fact they are different from each other the way I've heard. The manga is much more longer and has a different story (probably because I havent really read it).

The movie can be viewed independently and is not a prequel or a sequel, and stands on its own. That much I'm sure of.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jan 29, 2012 3:57 PM

Mar 2011
I think I had to high of expectations for this movie. I honestly found it to be pretty boring, but I did like the animation. 4/10
Apr 1, 2012 2:41 AM

Feb 2011
Okay I have no idea what the fuck I just watched. Only thing I understand about this film is the main one. And isn't this quite violent for a film that came out in the late 1980's? Anyhow, enjoyed it.
Apr 5, 2012 4:11 AM

Aug 2010
I'm with the minority here, didn't like it that much. I loved the backgrounds and the setting, but the "characters" themselves, their designs and the music was a serious letdown. 6/10.
Jul 3, 2012 11:41 AM

Apr 2012
Mogami-kun said:
I'm with the minority here, didn't like it that much. I loved the backgrounds and the setting, but the "characters" themselves, their designs and the music was a serious letdown. 6/10.

Just try to watch it 20 years ago genius, so you'll understand about the characters design....
Sep 30, 2012 10:40 AM

Jun 2008
I didn't quite enjoy it, but daaaaaaamn, for a movie in 1988, the animation was an absolute BEAST.

But the character design was pretty bad to be honest. Heck LoGH had much better ones. I couldn't even tell Kei was a woman half the time.

I never really liked the misunderstood protagonist, especially if he end up as an uncontrollable mess. Kaneda was one cool bro tho. His idiotic courage is something to behold, going against a guy who've killed dozens of nameless soldiers and scientists.
Dec 8, 2012 11:30 AM

Dec 2007
great music and animation.
I enjoyed it even though I have no idea what the fuck happened.And I don't care to find out.
It just felt like a bunch of kids blowing shit up. I'm sure it's deeper than that, but as said before I don't really care.
Still amazing music and animation.
8/10
Mar 24, 2013 1:17 PM

Nov 2011
I cannot believe I waited so long to watch this movie.... Amazing
Mar 30, 2013 1:52 AM

Jul 2012
I'm so confused

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Apr 17, 2013 5:55 PM

Nov 2011
For a 1990s movie, this was epic even from the very beginning scenes. The movie is a bit violent but I do like the themes especially with the espers and involving Akira at the Olympic Stadium.

The bike chasing scene with the soundtrack was also fluid and I even felt a bit of realism from the movie. Yup, dat final words at the end:

I am Tetsuo

Nice. 8/10. This is probably the oldest anime film I've seen.
Apr 24, 2013 8:16 AM

Apr 2013
From now on I'm going to recommend this movie to the people I hate so they can also waste 125 minutes of their lives.

Can somebody explain why this movie is so highly rated and unfortunately in my case recommended.
Apr 24, 2013 6:55 PM
Oct 2012
I see some poor reviews on this film. First of all something I can't ignore...

eyerok said:
RenaPsychoKiller said:
This has to be one of the most overrated movies ever. ... Animation is great, yes. Is it the only good thing about Akira? Yes. Is it enough to rate it 10? Hell no.

you wouldn't understand. Its a 'guy' thing.

I'm female and I absolutely love Akira. The animation, the look, the soundtrack, the story--hell, the whole package.

It's a dystopian futuristic sci-fi, making it cyberpunk, which explains why it has a rather dark, gritty look.

What makes Akira so appealing? It brings up some fascinating big questions. Metaphysical ones. Political ones. Besides being entertaining, it's deep.

It might not be your cup of tea but as long as you have an open mind and consider it, that's all that really matters.

Personally, my favorite scene is the nightmare toy one. So much fun. So weird. A+
May 3, 2013 11:46 AM

Jan 2012
Amazing animation and very enjoyable to watch. The soundtrack was weird as hell, there was one track in particular that sounded like a guy breathing lol
May 5, 2013 8:59 PM

Apr 2013
This movie was amazing! Can't wait to watch it again & read the manga.
May 7, 2013 1:08 PM

Dec 2008
This was just as bizarre as Paprika. But, Paprika was a masterpiece...this was not.
A thumbs up for the quality of the animation! Very impressive for 1988. Still, the most I can give is a 5/10.

Sent with Mal Updater
Hannah_AnaMay 7, 2013 1:13 PM
May 21, 2013 9:20 PM

Jan 2013
The animation was beautiful, even for 1988. A nice story about a young guy who was always second and let his new power get to his head. The background of political corruption, riots, and crime helps set the stage for a post war Tokyo. It was a good film but I probably won't be rewatching it.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Jun 8, 2013 8:18 PM

Sep 2011
I don't think it was that good.

4/10
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Jun 16, 2013 11:49 AM

Mar 2010
for 1988 its pretty good but nothing really amazed me
Aug 5, 2013 8:58 AM

Aug 2012
I so badly hoped to see the destruction of Neo-Tokyo animated and I saw it. Not as good as in the manga, but still awesome.

I think they did a magnificent job putting the manga into a two-hour movie.
Aug 14, 2013 8:18 AM

Dec 2012
I actually enjoyed this anime a lot more than I thought I would. ((From now on, I will never look at anime the same way again.)) Maybe I will now try to give older animes a chance more often.
Sep 27, 2013 8:13 AM

Oct 2009
First of all magnificent animation and OST for a 1988's animation even nowadays we don't see such quality work. Character design that was crappy was mostly Kei, others were quite fine for it's day.
The plot was great, even though i don't understand what happened at the end, I'll have to look into it further..one it failed was with emotional impact, didn't care about any character at all. Really enjoyed it.

8.6/10
Nov 2, 2013 4:33 PM

Sep 2012
Just watching the Funimation versions. Did a quick compare to my old VHS wide screen edition. The Funimation version is even wider screen and obviously is so much more detailed even in their HD stream! The Bluray must be amazing. I know, I could have bought an import but never did.

Animation is great, some of the character designs are not but it still holds up really well!
Nov 22, 2013 6:39 PM

Sep 2013
I finally got to watch this movie, now I see why it was so popular back then so enjoyable and interesting 10/10.
Dec 7, 2013 11:56 PM

Mar 2012
Akira had Tokyo hosting the Olympics in 2020. It predicted the future!

10/10

Dec 7, 2013 11:59 PM
Jul 2012
Just watched this on toonami and this movie is so god damn entertaing that the animation and everything is great.
Problem is that I don`t understabd the story nor the ending at all. Though, I know Vegta look alike has this strange power of something(btw that one humgus monster scene is so crazy and weird.) and his friends has to save him. I don`t even know that is he dead or what. Other that verry goid movie.
8/10
Dec 8, 2013 12:00 AM

Dec 2012
DarknessOfEmo said:
Just watched this on toonami and this movie is so god damn entertaing that the animation and everything is great.
Problem is that I don`t understabd the story nor the ending at all. Though, I know Vegta look alike has this strange power of something(btw that one humgus monster scene is so crazy and weird.) and his friends has to save him. I don`t even know that is he dead or what. Other that verry goid movie.
8/10

I feel the same way. It was really good, but I could only understand no more than half the plot. Can't say it wasn't interesting though!

Dec 8, 2013 3:11 AM

Jan 2011
"What? My friend has received godlike powers and is wrecking shit? Alright, let me hop on my bike and kick his ass with this laser gun right quick."

Man Kaneda is just too badass.

Anyway, I loved the movie and since the first time I watched it was a long time ago the experience felt almost new to me with a couple of nostalgic moments.
VioLinkDec 8, 2013 3:17 AM
[center]
Dec 10, 2013 9:16 PM
Dec 2013
Asukami said:
DarknessOfEmo said:
8/10

I feel the same way. It was really good, but I could only understand no more than half the plot. Can't say it wasn't interesting though!

Good to see I'm not the only one.

Personally I was disappointed with the series. I had hoped to enjoy the movie as I had heard nothing but good about it for years.

In retrospect, I'd never heard anything that spoiled the story for me, which I'm actually surprised about. I had always envisioned this story to focus on biking, and that the main character was named Akira, not Kaneda.

I've read a lot on the topic 'Why does everyone like Akira so much?' and found that I agree with the author of that topic.

While I do agree that for the release dated in 1988 and the fact it was shown in American cinema's, I found little to no entertainment value in it. This is not solely because I was confused with the plot but predominantly because I could not identify with the characters. They were far too violent and disrespectful...I couldn't connect with any one character.

I did however fancy Kaneda's bike. That's one sweet ride.

5/10
Dec 26, 2013 7:36 PM

Jul 2009
wow just finished watching this from the 25th anniversary BD by funimation and they did a excellent job on preserving the original film in high quality blu ray.

no problems watsoever, tons of extras and the menu looks ace.

as for the film itself, wow been 25 years since this came out and its still looks amazing to this date!! gorgeous animation, the world is so gorgeous and it really immerses you and makes you think what would a apocalyptic neo tokyo would look like!

amazing fight scenes, though i wish we had more fight scenes like Kaneda and Tetsuo battle when Tetsuo discovered what "Akira" is.

as for the story, it was kinda lacking to be honest, the pace was too fast to understand what really is going on. so Akira is this energy at first that comes from all being(meaning everyone has an "Akira" inside of them) that get's awaken when you realize it.

then out of a sudden, there's actually an Akira boy which they didn't really expand other than he seems to be one of the top psychic kids along with the other 3 kids. we also don't know how they've gotten the power in the first place(awaken sometime?)

also Akira was indeed experimented when he was a child, same as those 3 kids as well. i wonder what happened after the experiment?

we also don't know why Takahashi(the first pyschic kid in the opening) that was running away from the government in the first place. out of a sudden he's okay with the other two kids and he begins to help them.

why was he running away from them in the first place?

i do understand that the manga has more story and is more fleshed out compared to the anime. but the animation here is superb and the world is soo vibrant. such a fantastic film to be rewatch as many times as possible along with Ghost in the Shell and Innocence ^^

also seeing this again reminds me of the scene in KOF2002 :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNEiwo0wBv8

even has the same VA in their respective styles!

Kusanagi(Kaneda) vs K9999(Tetsuo)

so i guess i'll read the manga then to learn more about the story. i'd give this a 9/10 since i really enjoyed the film and it's really a "classic" piece ^^

i recommend everyone to buy the Funimation 25th anniversary edition!! even though i don't watch dubs anymore, they managed to preserve the original film in its entirety with no compromises and it's in HD :)

so go buy it now!!!
Jan 5, 2014 7:39 PM

Apr 2012
I hated Tetsuo from the very beginning. Nice animation but I'm not a fan of the huge foreheads.
u gay
Jan 10, 2014 9:36 AM

May 2012
The worst movie I ever seen in my life. I can't give this crap more than 2/10
Jan 29, 2014 3:02 PM

May 2013
Pretty good c:
Mar 14, 2014 6:24 AM

Apr 2010
great movie, for an old one
Mar 19, 2014 10:09 AM

Dec 2012
Amazing and the animation done pretty good considering how old it is. That said, I really wish, someone will explain to me what exactly happened at the end. I am only guessing, right now. Also was only neo tokyo annihilated? Aaagh!!

Man, kanade is really one badass!
Apr 4, 2014 2:09 AM

Jun 2011
Everyone was liked this movie so much that I gave it a try at last.
It was definitely nothing special. The first half seemed very interesting and mysterious but during the second half I was about to fall asleep.
On the other hand the animation was great (old school style which I adore) and the battles seemed like from an action movie. It was a weird movie, so proceed with caution.
Apr 12, 2014 3:15 AM

Apr 2013
Wow, that movie was really something.

The animation was top notch, the soundtrack was chilling, the atmosphere and grittiness of a good cyberpunk was there. Not perfect with an ambiguous story, but a really strong 9/10.
Powerful eyebrows.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ending interpretation

Fukoku - Apr 13

0 by Fukoku »»
Apr 13, 11:25 AM

» Akira is not cyberpunk, it's just a paranormal genre

TheRedComment - Jan 22

46 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 22, 5:34 AM

» Tropes created in Akira

curvedtree - Dec 22, 2023

4 by -DxP- »»
Dec 23, 2023 3:55 AM

» Am i the only one who think that akira is a bad movie? ( 1 2 )

Harley3579 - May 14, 2019

59 by peterross »»
Dec 14, 2023 9:36 PM

» New anime has been cancelled?

RobertBobert - Sep 30, 2023

5 by Vaval »»
Oct 6, 2023 11:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.