Forum Settings
Forums
New
How would you rate this character?
Apr 30, 2010 9:25 AM

Feb 2008
Spotlight Character: Holland Novak (Eureka Seven)

MAL Character Information Page: Holland Novak

MAL Favorites: 197

For the next week I would like to have everyone familiar with this character discuss what they think makes it an exceptional character. What attributes make it stand out in the ocean of interesting characters that exist in the realms of anime and manga.

Unlike the other two subjects I will not force this conversation to fall into any set structure. Characters that are nominated typically get here because they are adept at breaking the existing character moulds and defying definition.

Because of this freedom I encourage everyone to do their very best to stay on topic and keep any and all debate civil. Have fun and I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say about this character.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Holland Novak was NOT inducted into the club Character list:
11 Yes - 22.4%
38 No - 77.5%

32 Don't know this character - 37.6% of the total number polled
4 Abstained - 4.7% of the total number polled
santetjanMay 10, 2010 5:21 PM
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 30, 2010 11:48 AM

Dec 2007
There is something really strange about Holland which is the fact that he is the most immature man I've ever seen in anime. And that's the resume of his personality.

Now, what I find interesting about him is his progression from hero, to big brother which quickly fades into someone to be hated which then turns into lover and then into father... All of this without ever growing up from the spoiled habits and stubborn mistakes. Only on the very later part of the series he suddenly turns into someone serious and enjoyable (things that bebes doooo)

I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing. Convince me, please.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Apr 30, 2010 1:17 PM
Nov 2007
This character did not catch my interest.
Apr 30, 2010 8:51 PM

Jan 2009
He is almost as inconsistent as the characters of FMP.
Apr 30, 2010 10:45 PM

Jul 2007
Eureka Seven is one of my fav anime, but Holland Novak isn't my fav character.
But he has an interesting evolution from 3 ( rating) to 7 ( rating).
[/url]

May 1, 2010 5:41 PM

Jul 2008
I actually enjoyed Holland's character development.

There are plenty of men who grow up with a sort of "never-land" syndrome, they last well into their 40's as single men with limited responsibilities and either a "lone wolf" or party stag attitude.

In Japan, I expect that this is sometimes often more true with the rising population of NEETs and shut ins. This might be a tighter correlation than not in this instance, as one of the most noticeable "symptoms" in regards to being a "NEET" or a Hikikomori is the fear of and/or outright rejection of social ties. These persons limit their social interactions to loose affiliations in a controlled environment (online games, hobbies, old safe acquaintances etc.)...

For Holland, his ship was his controlled environment in which he was king, and he could enjoy limited responsibility and attachment. But...when this is threatened he eventually is forced to admit that those ties mean more to him than he would like, and develop as a human being in order to protect them.
May 2, 2010 7:02 PM

Oct 2008
One of if not the most interesting characters in E7. It's like there was a battle going on inside himself over all kinds of things, like the responsibilities he has, what lies ahead of him, who he wants to get freaky with, and such. I believe that's why he's all over the place.

Crispin Freeman OWNS this role in the dub, though that has nothing to do with anything.
May 2, 2010 7:47 PM

Jan 2009
I don't know, from experiencing both acts, Crispin and Keiji give Holland two different feels. Crispin sometimes gives off the feeling Holland's going to snap at the drop of a hat, and Keiji surprised me with this lazy/slacker tone.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.