Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Durarara!! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
May 4, 2010 11:41 AM

Sep 2009
Kagura89 said:
Lind_L_Tailor said:
By the way, would anyone else prefer the story focused more on Celty's search for her head? I like the plot we're in at the moment, but this feels like a bit of a Plot Tumor...
Considering that Durarara is created by Narita Ryohgo,it's more like JigsawPuzzlePlot to me.Even Baccano itself after the whole Immortality Elixir fiasco & Flying Pussyfoot incident the story still ongoing with different arc in different timeline.The latest arc is set in 2002 & the plot is coming together in pieces when looking onto the past event.So Durarara will be focusing in different plot concerning some characters but still related to the Celty head business.

I agree, but I just feel that the Saika plot is taking over a bit too much, and we haven't had enough focus on Celty for the last couple of episodes.

And it's always fun to find out that people are tropers. :P
May 4, 2010 11:45 AM

Aug 2008
So that means that it was Anri that saved Masuomi and Mikado however many episodes ago. Weird. I said before that Saika could have been a manifestation of Anri's hopelessness, but I suppose that kind of is/isn't the case. We'll see with the next episode.

I didn't understand why people were hating on this arc, but now I do. The pace is so slow, and the tone is superficially despondent. I feel the same way about this arc/focus on Anri as I do the two psycho stalkers from the last arc. They just aren't interesting.

On the other hand, I do understand why fangirls are crazy about Shizuo/Izaya now. But really, that's pnly because I'm watcing Working!!
May 4, 2010 12:00 PM

Jul 2009
Lind_L_Tailor said:
Kagura89 said:
Lind_L_Tailor said:
By the way, would anyone else prefer the story focused more on Celty's search for her head? I like the plot we're in at the moment, but this feels like a bit of a Plot Tumor...
Considering that Durarara is created by Narita Ryohgo,it's more like JigsawPuzzlePlot to me.Even Baccano itself after the whole Immortality Elixir fiasco & Flying Pussyfoot incident the story still ongoing with different arc in different timeline.The latest arc is set in 2002 & the plot is coming together in pieces when looking onto the past event.So Durarara will be focusing in different plot concerning some characters but still related to the Celty head business.

I agree, but I just feel that the Saika plot is taking over a bit too much, and we haven't had enough focus on Celty for the last couple of episodes.

And it's always fun to find out that people are tropers. :P
Well i'm using tvtroupes to find some meaning of each word that related to anime/manga such as troll,meme&etc.It's like a unconventional dictionary to me :P
May 4, 2010 12:57 PM

Mar 2010
Lind_L_Tailor said:

Actually, it's only been 3-4 episodes. Ep 13 was mostly just introduction like ep 1 was, 14 was focused on Shingen, Celty and Saika, 15 which was about the reporter and setting up 16. 16 and the next episode are pretty much the climax, so if anything this arc is pretty short/fast with a lot information being dispensed each episode.

Other studios would have tried stretch this arc.
May 4, 2010 1:31 PM

Jul 2009
Watch out for the quite ones!!!:o
I knew there was more to Anri then met the eye.

I'm glad this series knows how to tell a story without dragging out mysteries.

May 4, 2010 1:34 PM

Sep 2009
Jagd84 said:
Lind_L_Tailor said:

Actually, it's only been 3-4 episodes. Ep 13 was mostly just introduction like ep 1 was, 14 was focused on Shingen, Celty and Saika, 15 which was about the reporter and setting up 16. 16 and the next episode are pretty much the climax, so if anything this arc is pretty short/fast with a lot information being dispensed each episode.

Perhaps, but what i'm saying is that they should have parts of both in there. I mean, I don't mind this arc at all, but Celty's head hasn't even been mentioned for the past two episodes. On top of that, it seems really weird, since you'd assume Celty and Shinra would be somewhat on the rocks right now, considering what Shinra revealed last time the plot thread was mentioned.
May 4, 2010 2:40 PM

Mar 2010
Lind_L_Tailor said:
Jagd84 said:
Lind_L_Tailor said:

Perhaps, but what i'm saying is that they should have parts of both in there. I mean, I don't mind this arc at all, but Celty's head hasn't even been mentioned for the past two episodes. On top of that, it seems really weird, since you'd assume Celty and Shinra would be somewhat on the rocks right now, considering what Shinra revealed last time the plot thread was mentioned.

I hear you, but I'm just saying this show has been character style multi-perspective driven even in the first arc. Each character will get their turn to shine as the situation demands. Saika is the top priority for Celty anyway since it links to her past.
Iron_MawMay 4, 2010 3:01 PM
May 4, 2010 3:10 PM

Dec 2008
Well, I knew something had to be up with Anri. No one in this show is normal, after all.
How long would it take to earn 50 million yen, Karasawa? - Katsuya
No longer than it would take to get to the bank, provided I have a gun. -Karasawa
I'm through talking with you. -Katsuya
May 4, 2010 7:11 PM

Nov 2009
Anri just gained 7395739573 points of awesomeness
May 5, 2010 12:49 AM

Sep 2008
noteDhero said:
I didn't understand why people were hating on this arc, but now I do. The pace is so slow, and the tone is superficially despondent.

I didn't understand before either but this episode made me realize that I really haven't been enjoying this arc much at all. It is hard for me to actually put in words but this show is starting to go downhill for me and I am quite worried since I was loving it at first. I am probably one of the only people who didn't like the twist at all.... sure I didn't actually predict it, but doesen't mean I have to think it was a great one.
May 5, 2010 2:40 AM

Aug 2009
^ Honestly, I've never found problem with the pacing. Meh, it's just me. But still, rushing into the bandwagon that Durarara is going downhill solely for the reason of pacing and unknown opinion isn't quite right for me.

Beside, we still don't even know the half of Izaya's plan and Kida Masomi's past. Shinra's father's faggotry is still unsolved, and yellow scarves gathering is another story. There are already plenty of other good materials that they can milk for the next 10 episodes.
May 5, 2010 3:42 AM

Sep 2008
It's not exactly the pacing for me but more so the content. I have found this arc to be much weaker than the first, not to mention everything just seems to be getting too ridiculous now.

There is definitely some pacing issues though like NoteDhero said.
May 5, 2010 3:53 AM

Aug 2009
^ To say about ridiculousness, Mikado being dollars leader and yagiri faggotry was about 10 times more absurdly and cheaply presented than Anri being a slasher. Nothing went downhill from there. Beside, I have trouble with understanding your standard of being 'ridiculous'. I mean... why is it so bad saika being zombie army or Anri being a slasher?... It's not like there wasn't any foreshadowing in the previous episodes.

That 'ridiculousness' is what makes this show worth ._. There will be no fun in this world without it.
May 5, 2010 6:19 AM

Mar 2009
Wohaa :D Way to go Shizuo. Show us your real strength !
Anri... I knew that you'll do something great :D

"I-za-yaaa-kuuuuun" xD
May 5, 2010 6:26 AM

Mar 2010
I'm not sure how this or, what happened last arc is really ridiculous anyway. You have a headless riders, guys that can throw vending machines, or jump out of skyscrapers. You don't have like Anri or, anything, but what's going on here is nothing out of ordinary for a show that has the "supernatural" as a main character.
Iron_MawMay 5, 2010 6:30 AM
May 5, 2010 7:29 AM

Jun 2009
It was a scary episode. Niekawa Haruna was too scary.

May 5, 2010 3:02 PM

May 2007
My fangirl self really enjoyed all the hints about Shizuo x Izaya. Ahaha. <3
And Anri is awesome. <3 Somehow I knew she was the original Saika, or somehow related to all the supernatural stuff happening.

May 5, 2010 3:53 PM

Jun 2009
NoyaChan said:
[...] somehow related to all the supernatural stuff happening.

All? Are you sure about that?
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
May 5, 2010 5:26 PM

Jan 2010
Damn, this episode was great. I fell in love with Shizuo all over again. I mean, God, he's just so freakin strong. First the car door, than the steel thing, and then all the Saika's in the park?
Oh, and any episode with Shizuo and Izaya in the same room with eachother is always a plus, not because, as Erika says, they're in love with eachother, but because them being enemies makes the show.

Btw, that was unexpected for me. So that's how Anri keeps getting out of all these crazy situations. So, Mikado is secretly someone important, Anri is secretly someone important, now we have to find out Izaya and Kida's job in all of this :D And even Shinra, I think he still has some secrets~
May 5, 2010 8:40 PM

Sep 2008
ringoo4 said:
^ To say about ridiculousness, Mikado being dollars leader and yagiri faggotry was about 10 times more absurdly and cheaply presented than Anri being a slasher. Nothing went downhill from there. Beside, I have trouble with understanding your standard of being 'ridiculous'. I mean... why is it so bad saika being zombie army or Anri being a slasher?... It's not like there wasn't any foreshadowing in the previous episodes.

That 'ridiculousness' is what makes this show worth ._. There will be no fun in this world without it.

It's hard for me to say really but they seem to be just chucking more and more crazy ideas out there without really bringing things together nor connecting them. Of course they still could in the last 8 episodes but it is just getting to the point where we will have all these crazy ideas and stories for each character without further developing or expanding on several of them. Take for example when we found out Mikado was the dollars leader, we got one event and that was it. It has been ignored since then. Also a few episodes ago several big clues were revealed about the secret behind Celty's head yet they just pushed it to the side. Heck they still haven't explained anything about Kida's story really at all. I just don't know how they will really develop and conclude all these things well enough in the last 8 episodes. Instead they just reveal something then shove another idea in our faces shortly afterwards without actually tieing anything together.

Maybe I am just too hung on how well Brainsbase intertwined and developed all of the ideas in Baccano together. I just don't see the same happening for this, I can already see it ending with each story only feeling half developed or some being that way. Just don't get me wrong though cause I know I could be proven wrong, but we can only wait and see how things turn out.
May 5, 2010 9:21 PM

Aug 2009
^ That's why 'arc' separation of the series exists, like what visual novel adaptions like Higurashi sometimes do. I'm pretty sure all those connection will be made in the final arc after this slasher one. That's what Baccano did too, but it was in extremely speedy and rushed way, which I didn't particularly like. Durarara is doing it in pretty slow, but detailed way and that's the strength of this show's popularity imo.

Celty's head issue, Dollars, Izaya's plan, Kida Masaomi's past, Slasher, Shizuo and Dotachin gang, Simon and Russian group, Yagiri pharamcy. They all seem to be in seperated and not related like what you said, but they will all be connected at the grand finale of this series. That's what we are looking forward to, and there is no reason to be anxious or disappointed about those relationships being not shown clearly right now. That's another fun, questioning what will happen at the end.
May 6, 2010 1:25 AM

Apr 2010
Shock horror º_º
I thought that Anri was a bit wierd....but I didn't expect her to turn out to be th mother of all them zombies!!!
I'm dying to find out what happens next!!!
May 6, 2010 1:37 AM

Jun 2009
velcom said:

It's hard for me to say really but they seem to be just chucking more and more crazy ideas out there without really bringing things together nor connecting them. [...]
Also a few episodes ago several big clues were revealed about the secret behind Celty's head yet they just pushed it to the side. Heck they still haven't explained anything about Kida's story really at all.

Well, to reasure you a little, I think the anime's construction of the DRRR!! plot is a little off, too.
They tried to play with the continuity, maybe to make it easier for the viewer to bond with the characters, as many of them are off the radar for a whole novel sometimes and some don't get a real characterization until much later on.
They inserted many characterization parts from volume 2 and 3 (and even later volumes if I remember correctly) into the first twelve episodes. They also mixed the characterplots of volume 3 into the plot of volume 2.

This not only made some actions of certain characters totally nonsensical to me (I could stomach that), but it also ripped apart the atmosphere that the individual plots tried to built. There were always 2 or 3 episodes of light-hearted interludes thrown in, with only slight hints at the main plot right before the end.
I think much of the problems with how this series feels to you, comes from the fact that the writers were a bit clumsy when rearranging things...especially when there was no need at all to do that.
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
May 6, 2010 3:35 AM

Sep 2008
seizonsha said:
I think much of the problems with how this series feels to you, comes from the fact that the writers were a bit clumsy when rearranging things...especially when there was no need at all to do that.

That is quite possibly so, it doesen't seem to really bug many people so guess it isn't a bad thing. Just bugs the heck out of me since I am part of the minority.
May 6, 2010 4:24 AM

Jul 2009
Omg,I didn't expect Anri to hold the Saika.Maybe the Saika is powerful ;o I love swords <3
May 6, 2010 5:22 AM

Oct 2008
Ahaha, Erika's assumption of BL between Shizuo x Izaya. Loved everyone's reaction that that as well. xD
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
May 6, 2010 10:35 AM

Mar 2010
ringoo4 said:
^ That's why 'arc' separation of the series exists, like what visual novel adaptions like Higurashi sometimes do. I'm pretty sure all those connection will be made in the final arc after this slasher one. That's what Baccano did too, but it was in extremely speedy and rushed way, which I didn't particularly like. Durarara is doing it in pretty slow, but detailed way and that's the strength of this show's popularity imo.

Celty's head issue, Dollars, Izaya's plan, Kida Masaomi's past, Slasher, Shizuo and Dotachin gang, Simon and Russian group, Yagiri pharamcy. They all seem to be in seperated and not related like what you said, but they will all be connected at the grand finale of this series. That's what we are looking forward to, and there is no reason to be anxious or disappointed about those relationships being not shown clearly right now. That's another fun, questioning what will happen at the end.

I can already point the connections to the first arc being, i.e Saika being owned by Shingen and it cutting-off part of Celty's soul connecting to her head, Anri's parent were probably the antique dealers it was sold off to, and that Slasher has likely attacked some Dollar members and in turn having them cutting others, making people think the Slasher is part of the organization. In addition to this Anri might end up controlling this group meaning it has "War Potential" exactly what Izaya needs.

This all just from the anime it's self, it's not hard to the pieces together if you think about a bit.
Iron_MawMay 6, 2010 10:46 AM
May 6, 2010 11:14 AM

Mar 2010
I love Shizuo's " i'm off to Shinjuku to murder Izaya" And their fight haha and Izaya's talking about throw meteor on Shizuo house XD And all Shizuo-Izaya. And Erika's BL and everyone reactions XD That was epic !
Sorry for my English ^^' If you notice any mistakes, please tell me about it ^^ Thanks for corrections ^^
May 6, 2010 11:37 AM

Jun 2009
-Confusing stuff is confusing. Why would she attack Anri, it's totally unreasonable. I mean:

-WTF!? It looks like they want to confuse us, making this look like Haruna is the real Saika.
- Yeah, that's my Anri. ^^ Now i need to see next episode asap.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
May 6, 2010 11:42 AM
Dec 2008
CANT WAIT TO SEE SHIZUO PWN LIKE A HUNDRED PEOPLE
May 6, 2010 2:07 PM

Jan 2010
kaena said:
CANT WAIT TO SEE SHIZUO PWN LIKE A HUNDRED PEOPLE

This.
May 7, 2010 5:46 AM

Mar 2009
Didn't quite interest me. Too much talking; more action needed.
May 7, 2010 3:24 PM

Jan 2009
WWWAA!!! IT'S JUST GETTING MORE AND MORE EXCITING EACH EPISODE!
May 8, 2010 10:02 AM

Jul 2009
Oooh, interesting plot development! Loved the Izaya / Shizuo thing at the beginning, Haruna is likeable :D I was totally hoping Anri would die though ... GRAHHH. WHY MUST YOU BE SO IMPORTANT TO THE STORY?! T_T
May 8, 2010 7:34 PM

May 2008
So glad to finally see Anri's badassness revealed. My favourite episode thus far.
May 8, 2010 11:16 PM

Apr 2008
cool~ the original blade

May 9, 2010 9:59 PM
May 2008
Bitchez crazy!!!
Dead Account
Please Delete
May 10, 2010 12:18 AM

Nov 2007
FUCK YEAH ANRI!
May 10, 2010 8:18 AM

May 2008
LOL Erika. "Shizuo's in love with Izaya~" I could have told her that ;D

Lawlz, so Shizuo actually goes looking for Izaya instead of waiting for him to show up in his area. That's awesome.

May 11, 2010 3:59 AM

Apr 2009
Night of Walachia (Melty Blood) > Saika
May 12, 2010 7:05 AM

Jun 2009
Sonohara's identiy revealed. Saika.
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

May 14, 2010 11:03 AM
Apr 2008
20th century boys reference at 11:11-11:14 when Shizuo said Izaya let's come and play xD
May 16, 2010 7:23 AM

Aug 2009
Perfect timing, Nasujima-sensei. Per-Fect Ti-Ming appearing at Anri's door.
May 20, 2010 12:31 PM

Feb 2010
Zombie Panic! Twists! Strange People on every corner!
May 24, 2010 6:41 PM

Apr 2007
lmao I love how crazy in love Haruna is.
"Takashi! Takashi! Takashi! Takashi! Takashi! Takashi! Takashi!"

No wonder the teacher was so scared after just hearing her name a couple eps ago.
Jun 2, 2010 6:26 AM

Nov 2007
fucking epic feeling of awesomeness won't stop.
Jun 5, 2010 2:14 PM

Jul 2009
Note to self: NEVER PUT THIS ON-HOLD EVEN FOR JUST A WEEK.

xD

unexpected turn of events. i wonder what's next

5/5
Jun 5, 2010 8:31 PM

Jan 2010
I knew it.
Jun 12, 2010 11:31 PM
Feb 2008
Best episode since 12. Felt like the other episodes were kinda meandering

I suspected Anri at first but then she got attacked so I thought it was some sort of alternate personality or psychic projection

Kinda forgot about the fact that we saw the reporter's daughter way back when. I remember thinking she was the slasher too but that would be too easy. Then this episode came around and everyone is becoming possessed and whatnot it's like this creepy crazy chick is unbelievable!

Than faster than you can say M Night Shamalyan we get the twist that Anri was the slasher and this girl was just an imitator! But geez that girl is kinda creepy.

I loled at the homophobia joke early on. Erika's response was on point since so many RL fans constantly pair those two.
Jun 13, 2010 1:22 PM
Sep 2009
Anri's badass moment at the end was awesome.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Proselyt - Jan 14, 2010

330 by Beatnik »»
Feb 25, 1:21 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

katzenjammer - Feb 18, 2010

299 by Kurkitos »»
Feb 5, 6:31 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kirika- - May 27, 2010

205 by dr_hydrangea »»
Jan 31, 4:32 AM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Usami-Haru - Mar 18, 2010

455 by ryzxgum »»
Jan 19, 11:09 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Mar 31, 2010

336 by 2life »»
Nov 29, 2023 3:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.