Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 4, 2013 5:46 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I didn't expect this kind of surface world. It really reminded me of Mamory Oshii's "Avalon". Great stuff. Now I understand why Kazuho needed to see raw and visceral humanity at it's worst in order to feel alive..

The DOC really likes Ichise. I though it was more of a crush. but she really clings to him.

Why do I get the feeling that this ends with the Obelisk being destroyed and Ichise dying.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 9, 2013 11:25 AM

Nov 2009
Okay . . . So the humanity above ground is just waiting to slowly die off? Why? The world doesn't seem environmentally screwed . . . It seems almost like they just got bored, so they watch what is going on below ground until they die and bring those below with them. Also, was it just me, or did the film show that some kind of terrorist group was what forced all those people to live below ground?
Dec 19, 2013 11:07 AM

Mar 2013
why is the government official a "chair" o.O
[25/04/14 4:04:39 PM] Skitzo: doujins have deep psychological undertones about the sexual intrigue of human behavior
Mar 8, 2014 1:19 PM

Mar 2010
Frash said:
I still don't know what happened, but sure it was disturbing.
And friggin' interesting. Perfect people, slowly waiting for death. Non-perfect people, coming out of their hidden grave. And subliminal messages on the radio. And Italian singing. And the prime minister being a Chair.
I'm shocked.
Bioshocked*
Apr 13, 2014 8:18 PM

Nov 2013
"A mirror improves the ability to think." Great quote referring to self-reflection.

The title of this episode, Heavenward, helps us make sense of it. The surface world is essentially heaven, a utopia. The people living there could not find purpose in a perfect world, so I guess they eventually lost their sense of self-preservation and are now empty shells of their former selves.
Apr 15, 2014 12:40 PM

May 2012
Steady development... nothing special to say though.
Apr 17, 2014 4:16 AM

Jan 2013
A good amount of backstory on how the underground world came into existence. Some very nice quotes and a setting reminding me of Kino's journey.
Texhnolyze just gets more awesome every minute.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jun 15, 2014 8:25 PM

Jun 2014
Aryaragi said:

ikr... that and the creepy little girl (/doll?) that had a man's voice...
So basically the people above the surface have achieved even greater human evolution than the Class' army and dont give a f*ck if they invade the surface.
Aug 4, 2014 5:00 PM
Aug 2013
Yakub said:
If technolyzed limbs don't work above ground then how will kano invade it? Won't his technolyzed army be useless?

You have to remember. When we first saw that Yoshii had "Texhnolyzed limbs"
He said that he wished that was the case or something like that. Meaning that he didn't have texhnolyzed limbs or atleast, ones that were made in Lukuss.
Jan 5, 2015 10:19 AM

Aug 2014
That was so utterly depressing. I always thought the surface was going to be a great place without suffering and hate like it is in Lukass but then it turns out everything is just..... just boring I guess, with no emotion or drive to do anything just slowly waiting to die. That is some deep stuff right there.

Jan 24, 2015 11:57 PM

May 2011
-Tien- said:
"A mirror improves the ability to think." Great quote referring to self-reflection.

The title of this episode, Heavenward, helps us make sense of it. The surface world is essentially heaven, a utopia. The people living there could not find purpose in a perfect world, so I guess they eventually lost their sense of self-preservation and are now empty shells of their former selves.

Indeed. Utopia is but another dystopia, due to it losing its original purpose of being utopia. While Lux reflects humanity's vice, violence, greed for power and the control by the Class; the surface world doesn't even bother to fight on to live, slowly regressing into nothing as they find no reason to live in a perfect world. Texhnolyze does it extremely well in luring viewers to feel that dystopia is purely hopeless, only for them to shock viewers with the true utopia, the antithesis juxtaposing with Lux side-by-side, separated only by a rail (which is a theme in this anime throughout its 19-episode course).

After all, the creation of Lux, as shown in the film in this episode, was created when the Class rounded up people who were thought to be imperfect or impure of thought, killing many and forcing the rest into the underground city. In turn, only people deemed as 'pure' remained in the surface world, but because vice is non-existent, conflict is non-existent, humans lose their raison d'être and live on like mindless beings with no purpose in life.
Aryaragi said:

Really loved how they portray the 'Minister' as a chair, implying the non-necessity of humanity in voice over decision-making matters not because of contemporary clashes in ideology, but just simply nobody bothers about making decisions anymore. The radio repeating, "A mirror improves the ability to think" was the best evidence of humanity's decline, simply because nobody cared about themselves any longer.

Greatest episode yet, sorry for the TL;DR. Felt impelled to give a general review of this magnum opus thus far.

6/5
grayrebornnhyJan 25, 2015 12:11 AM
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Jan 25, 2015 12:16 AM

May 2011
Pirating_Ninja said:
Okay . . . So the humanity above ground is just waiting to slowly die off? Why? The world doesn't seem environmentally screwed . . . It seems almost like they just got bored, so they watch what is going on below ground until they die and bring those below with them. Also, was it just me, or did the film show that some kind of terrorist group was what forced all those people to live below ground?

Indeed, they just got bored, since they find no more reasons to live on. Just imagine a world in which no more vice and 'evil' exists. The dichotomy, the balance is lost. Humanity can only decline as people will start to feel impelled to be bad again - only for the 'bad' ones to be sent to Lux. Wasn't the final part with the cinematic sequence rather clear, I assume? That shows the suppression and purges of the so-called 'evil' people down to Lux, although with he majority decimated.
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Feb 6, 2015 7:59 PM

Dec 2011
This surface city reminded me so much of another city from Ergo Proxy.
Mar 2, 2015 12:15 PM
Jul 2014
Hm, it got quiet lately. I wonder if there's a storm coming...
Jun 10, 2015 2:08 PM
Nov 2014
Another great episode, the upper ground world is also fucked up or more fucked up.... That doll fucking scared me ;_;
Aug 2, 2015 4:56 PM

Jan 2014
That was depressing!
Oct 5, 2015 4:37 PM

Mar 2014
Well, this was a change of pace, which I guess I appreciate... however, I'm still not sure what the significance of any of this is.

Like, what's with those radios? and the sunflowers?
This all seems like pointless, random imagery...

Tyestor said:
Wonder what's happening above ground. Hmmm.

Wait, this was under ground?
Ugh, when did they let the viewer know that?

That's what I hate about this show, they hide an important detail such as that within a ton of unimportant dialogue, and then the viewer has no idea what's going on, instead just sitting there watching the nice visuals, without a clue.
::End of Transmission::

Oct 20, 2015 1:16 PM

Feb 2008
Life isn't better above ground.

The cinema scene was excellent, offering a glimpse of the backstory regarding the creation of Lux. How curious indeed, that a city, where the impure is banished, would bear the name of light. A rather depressing prospect indeed.
Nov 7, 2015 9:18 PM

Jul 2013
lol people underground thought Lux is filled with wonders and perfection
Nov 15, 2015 5:48 PM

Feb 2010
I guess that's one path that technology could lead towards. The disposal and inability to sympathize or empathize with anything or anyone.

Dec 17, 2015 11:45 AM

Jan 2013
This was actually a really good episode, so many small things that are a big impact in this anime and real life even.

Seems the world above ground isnt as good as people thought it was.
Mar 20, 2016 10:59 AM

Aug 2014
So that was the Above-Ground, Wow, also the ending scene is so depressing and good at the same time.
Great Episode.
Nov 16, 2016 4:22 AM
Jan 2016
vigorousjammer said:
Well, this was a change of pace, which I guess I appreciate... however, I'm still not sure what the significance of any of this is.

Tyestor said:
Wonder what's happening above ground. Hmmm.

Wait, this was under ground?
Ugh, when did they let the viewer know that?

That's what I hate about this show, they hide an important detail such as that within a ton of unimportant dialogue, and then the viewer has no idea what's going on, instead just sitting there watching the nice visuals, without a clue.

They say it in second episode or third. Yoshii even say that he come from above ground many time (Which already hint that they are on underground. You need to pay better attention to dialogue). The reason he want to see human primitive emotion is because he come from above ground. The point of episode to explain the reason why Yoshii came down into Lux and the contrast between two world, perfect but dead world and imperfect but alive world.
HashimotoReiNov 16, 2016 4:45 AM
Feb 25, 2017 11:21 PM

Aug 2007
Oh DAMN. This. This was a great episode. I've been pretty bored and unfazed by this anime thusfar, but I really love the contrast of Lux and above ground, and the impossibility of a paradise. Anything that can turn bright, happy colors into spooky hollowness is commendable.

Aug 6, 2017 9:07 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Yeah, no wonder Yoshii ended up like that with a dead and empty world up here.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Sep 2, 2017 12:39 AM

Jun 2012
In the words of the description in a 10-hour loop of the nyan tongue twister, "do u live or only exist?"

Jan 14, 2018 4:14 PM

Mar 2012
Well I can see why Sakimura didn't want to go back and why Yoshii kept wanting to make a "spectacle" down below.

Humanity above ground has become so perfect and peaceful that they're dying of boredom.
Nov 1, 2018 5:03 PM

Oct 2012
I don't know what I was expecting but it definetly wasn't this. ok god I can't wait to see how everything's gonna go down
May 27, 2019 8:16 AM

Jul 2016
Walking scene is one of the best scenes I have ever watched in any Anime. The music flows so smoothly with the scene, the way it was directed was breathtaking.

I did not completely understand this episode though. The people on the surface relied on Texhnolyzation, so much so that they no longer need their human bodies... that in turn led to them hating themselves and waging war against each other. The guy on the surface says it "What use is texhnolyze to us?" This means that the people on the surface are dead because they either misused texhnolyzation or because they could not stand living with it anymore.
Jul 14, 2019 1:20 AM

Mar 2018
Great episode but are those "ghosts" alive or dead?
Oct 20, 2019 11:28 AM
Jul 2018
how bleak... The atmosphere and music was great, the sudden shift to empty sunlight after all the bloodshed. Love the direction.

and a lot of mystery, love it

Enjoyed the statements from radio.. who is the voice?
Nov 1, 2019 8:36 PM

Jan 2011
i wish we had a better explanation as to what happened to this world but seeing as there are only 3 eps left i doubt it
so the city above ground is also dying, i guess we are getting a depressing ending?
Nov 5, 2020 7:23 PM

Jun 2010
That indo-dump over jazz music that began the episode was very strange. Things like Doc putting her own cells into Ichise's limbs or the mysterious obelisk being connected to all texhnolyzed body-parts seems much too important to just blurt out all at once and the music was too "cool" and relaxed for anything in this bleak setting.
Dec 16, 2020 8:08 AM
Mar 2020
The ending movie was both disturbful and pretty
Mar 6, 2021 1:44 AM
Aug 2016
Damn! This episode reminded me of Attack on Titan. Ichise and Doc realizing how disappointing the outside world is felt similar to how Eren felt in Season 3 Part 2. Wow, just wow.
Apr 3, 2021 7:35 PM
Apr 2014
vigorousjammer said:

The radios and the abstract poetry are a reference to Jean Cocteau's Orpheus. I haven't seen it myself (only found out after looking up the poetry while watching) but from what I gather it deals with some similar themes. I get the feeling there are other references being made in this episode that I don't know with the flowers and art style but I'm looking forward to dissecting when I actually finish the series.
Apr 20, 2021 9:02 AM

Mar 2010
Just when you think things can't be even more desolate and lifeless.. we see above ground lolz.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Apr 27, 2021 12:46 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
So the Obelisk is really here to give the powers to the texhnolyze, and they can't work or only partially outside.
And finally they went outside, but it's as creepy as Lux, they couldn't manage to get help there...
The final part with the short movie was really interesting, a backstory of the creation of Lux and how horrible it was before.
Jun 11, 2021 5:16 PM
Aug 2020
This episode gave me the chills! that movie was creepy AF but interesting... I need more answers now

Also does anyone know the name of that Italian I guess song? when Doc and Ichinse was explaining the situation?
Sep 14, 2021 5:33 AM

Mar 2018
grayrebornnhy said:
-Tien- said:

Indeed. Utopia is but another dystopia, due to it losing its original purpose of being utopia. While Lux reflects humanity's vice, violence, greed for power and the control by the Class; the surface world doesn't even bother to fight on to live, slowly regressing into nothing as they find no reason to live in a perfect world. Texhnolyze does it extremely well in luring viewers to feel that dystopia is purely hopeless, only for them to shock viewers with the true utopia, the antithesis juxtaposing with Lux side-by-side, separated only by a rail (which is a theme in this anime throughout its 19-episode course).

After all, the creation of Lux, as shown in the film in this episode, was created when the Class rounded up people who were thought to be imperfect or impure of thought, killing many and forcing the rest into the underground city. In turn, only people deemed as 'pure' remained in the surface world, but because vice is non-existent, conflict is non-existent, humans lose their raison d'être and live on like mindless beings with no purpose in life

All spot on interpretations here.

Relating back to Tien post; I feel this takes us back to Yoshii whereas instead of letting himself fade away Above Ground like the rest, he releases his spiraling mental state on Lux and decides to have a little fun toying with The City at the cost of many.

This episode reminded me of another element that this show has been strong at which is it's music; The jazz within the intro was lovely.

Before EP.15, this show was a soft 7. After EP.15, this show has picked itself up to a very strong 8 edging on 9. Really good stuff and hope to see it continue it's momentum to the end.
Nov 28, 2021 1:39 PM

Aug 2017
Fantastic backgrounds as well as storyboarding and direction on this episode, looked straight out of some surrealist paintings.

The girl was probably a manifestation of Eriko in her childhood (I'm not sure but it seemed like nobody saw her except Eriko herself)
Dec 30, 2021 8:05 PM

Feb 2021
Weird, this isn't really what I was expecting. How could Yoshi come from a place like this and decide on his own free will to enter the city? It doesn't make sense to me. Is life really this empty and meaningless?
CrackMay 18, 2022 6:44 PM
May 13, 2022 9:08 PM

Dec 2021
cool to see the substantial difference between both worlds, how can that girl looking robot teleport? interesting montage near the end, stuff to look into ig
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Sep 14, 2022 10:19 AM
Sep 2016
Corporate America, amirite?
Oct 21, 2022 8:45 PM
Aug 2022
What an absolutely jaw-dropping episode out of nowhere!

Being slowly dragged through this unnerving, liminal-space of a suburban hellscape after 18 episodes of suffocating, underground slums and urban poverty was a radical change in setting that hit me completely off guard.
And pairing that with the complete and total annihilation of what we & the characters thought was the world-state is exactly the kind of existential sci-fi dread that tricked me into watching anime in the first place.

I swear, if only there was more deep, unsettling terror beyond our human ability to comprehend and less high schoolers in robot suits within this medium, I would've gotten into these chinese cartoons way sooner than I did.
SaturnShotgunOct 21, 2022 8:51 PM
Nov 7, 2022 6:08 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Whoa we get some COLOUR.... and yet while everything seems so perfect, it's also eerie, and dead.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jan 13, 2023 1:51 PM

Dec 2010
It was such a shock to see sunlight after 18 episodes of artificial days and nights. I can see why Yoshii was disappointed with this place, but that didn't mean he has to go apeshit crazy and get Lukuss's people to kill each other for his amusement. He could and experience the struggle of the working class for example.
Mar 7, 2023 2:30 AM

Dec 2022
The track that starts playing around six minutes into this is captivating. Most of the episode is extremely abstract, but I doubt it'll be particularly relevant to the remaining episodes.

Shaded Horizon

May 7, 2023 9:00 PM

Feb 2016
every time I watch this show I'm always full of anticipation for this episode and it always deliver. it comes out of nowhere and completely changes the game. scrap Lain, this is Konaka's greatest script
Aug 15, 2023 8:19 PM
Jun 2023
i dont get why everyone is a weird hologram shadow thing. 
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tounoyaboys - Jul 1, 2008

323 by AMfromtheWORLD »»
Yesterday, 11:40 AM

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

xXDaijinkazeXx - May 6, 2009

174 by chow141 »»
Apr 10, 2:36 PM

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 14, 2009

66 by Sanak_ »»
Apr 4, 4:08 AM

» If you connected with any of these characters, why?

sheaswee - Feb 7

14 by KitsuFrost »»
Mar 31, 6:37 PM

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

loghneckbeard - Apr 28, 2010

53 by I_is_lost »»
Jan 11, 6:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.