MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Why do you like English dubs?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Club Discussion »» English Dub Fanclub »» Why do you like English dubs?

Must be a Club Member to Reply
Pages (12) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 »
03-20-13, 2:49 AM

I'll never understand dub haters. One of the arguments they use (To cover up the fact that they're just massive weeaboos) is that they just watch everything in its original language.

But here's the thing. Foreign movie dubs are widely regarded as being terrible. The voices just can't match up with what's happening on the screen. I don't know anyone who would get serious enjoyment out of watching dubbed foreign movies.

With anime, the majority of people in western countries don't care because... they're cartoons. There's nothing inheritly special about the original language of something that's usually made for kids. They don't have the same problems as live action films. The fact that people get so hot and bothered about people watching cartoons in their own language is beyond me.

tl;dr: Because I'm not a massive weeaboo
Instead of Forte say LOUD
Instead of Fortissimo say REALLY LOUD

03-20-13, 9:01 AM

That sounds like a terrible attitude to have. It sounds like you're saying, "They're just cartoons so they don't matter. They're not REAL entertainment like live-action."

It is worth noting, however, that the vast majority are animated such that they can be dubbed in multiple languages. That's why the mouths just flap instead of having proper syllabic motions. That's the biggest difference between dubbed animation and dubbed live action.

03-21-13, 3:03 AM

That's not the message I was trying to get across. What I'm trying to do is criticise the dub haters argument that they just believe that everything should be watched it in its original language.

But the thing is that most people would watch French cinema in French anyway. The only thing that's different from them and the average person living in the west is that they watch anime with subtitles when most people would watch it dubbed.
Instead of Forte say LOUD
Instead of Fortissimo say REALLY LOUD

03-22-13, 7:50 PM

I'm still not sure I understand your argument, or how you're connecting anime with foreign movies. Wouldn't "most people watch French cinema in French" be something that sub-premacists would use to SUPPORT their claims that everything should be watched in its original language?

03-22-13, 8:39 PM

I like English Dubs if they fit the setting or if I'm just lazy.
Sometimes when the majority cast is other than Japanese it gets annoying when they say names. "Arekusuanda" "Andateka" "erizabesu" gets annoying imo.
also when even the male characters sound like girls.. it's just ... e___e

But I like both Jap or Eng. I just think Eng dubs have rights too x3

03-30-13, 10:46 AM

I don't like reading words at the bottom of the screen.I find that from watching subs and dubs that a lot of your attention is on the subs instead of mostly on everything else that is going on in the anime. If I want to read then there are these things called books, magazines, web forums, newspapers.

Characters from another country will usually have an accent.

Watching a anime in your own language closely gives you the same experience watching that those in Japan did. Those in Japan watching the anime didn't need to read little words on the bottom of the screen, nor did they need to look up wikipedia to see what a word,honorific or phrase means.Most dubbing companies also leave out the Japanese honorifics or they find English equivalent of those words.S they didn't need to look up wikipedia to see what the hell Onichan means

03-30-13, 11:18 AM

I want you to know that I only half-read most of that because I was distracted by your awesome avatar.

03-30-13, 6:45 PM

i like dubs because when you understand what they are saying its easier to watch and appreciate the art and shit thats happening also if you miss a word or something while reading it can be confusing not to mention its better for taking it in because you arent using one sense for two different things (only weeaboos are anti-dub)

04-21-13, 3:05 PM

I like dubs because they're easier for me to watch the anime, I'm waaay to lazy to read the subs on every anime that I watch. I remember there was a time when people where excited to see/hear which voice actor was going to play who in the series.

To me both english/japanese dubs can get extremely annoying, Laura Baley plays all the girls in one anime, the japanese shy girl in anime always get that annoying high pitch voice, that seriously wants me to plug my ears. Back to back its the same but I think english Dubs has more variety than those who get "idol" status in Japanese Dubs.

I rather listen to variety-english dub-voices than that of perfect-japanese dub-voices. And lets face it, people dont watch anime for subs, they just like to hear the japanese voices because they have more "emotion" into their voice acting than actually reading subs. No one cares about subs, they are only there to communicate/translate to the other audiences.

Sigh~ I hope that make sense

04-21-13, 7:05 PM

SHINOKAZI09 said:
I like dubs because they're easier for me to watch the anime, I'm waaay to lazy to read the subs on every anime that I watch. I remember there was a time when people where excited to see/hear which voice actor was going to play who in the series.

To me both english/japanese dubs can get extremely annoying, Laura Baley plays all the girls in one anime, the japanese shy girl in anime always get that annoying high pitch voice, that seriously wants me to plug my ears. Back to back its the same but I think english Dubs has more variety than those who get "idol" status in Japanese Dubs.

I rather listen to variety-english dub-voices than that of perfect-japanese dub-voices. And lets face it, people dont watch anime for subs, they just like to hear the japanese voices because they have more "emotion" into their voice acting than actually reading subs. No one cares about subs, they are only there to communicate/translate to the other audiences.

Sigh~ I hope that make sense

I read somewhere that psychologically speaking, people find foreign languages more emotional and in depth because they are not accustomed to that language and it is harder to get an emotional reading off words that do not normally hear. At least thats the best way I can explain it. Also do not know how true that was. I just remember some guy arguing that foreigners were giving some German actor in a move too much credit.
Dub = Sub

04-22-13, 12:48 PM

SHINOKAZI09 said:

I'm not sure I understand. You're claiming that Japanese voice actors inherently have more "emotion" in their portrayals?

Tomoki_Sakurai said:
I read somewhere that psychologically speaking, people find foreign languages more emotional and in depth because they are not accustomed to that language and it is harder to get an emotional reading off words that do not normally hear. At least thats the best way I can explain it. Also do not know how true that was.

In simplest terms, I think it's harder to recognize bad acting in a language you don't speak, so people don't recognize it in subs as much as they do in dubs.

Of course, this is also true for good acting. So I think a large majority of the subbed fanbase have established the assumption that all Japanese acting is good acting.

04-22-13, 3:01 PM

XTApocalypse said:

In simplest terms, I think it's harder to recognize bad acting in a language you don't speak, so people don't recognize it in subs as much as they do in dubs.

Of course, this is also true for good acting. So I think a large majority of the subbed fanbase have established the assumption that all Japanese acting is good acting.

Yea that sums up what I was trying to say in a less confusing manner lol.
Dub = Sub

05-27-13, 3:48 AM

SaberRitsu said:
I'll never understand dub haters. One of the arguments they use (To cover up the fact that they're just massive weeaboos) is that they just watch everything in its original language.

But here's the thing. Foreign movie dubs are widely regarded as being terrible. The voices just can't match up with what's happening on the screen. I don't know anyone who would get serious enjoyment out of watching dubbed foreign movies.

With anime, the majority of people in western countries don't care because... they're cartoons. There's nothing inheritly special about the original language of something that's usually made for kids. They don't have the same problems as live action films. The fact that people get so hot and bothered about people watching cartoons in their own language is beyond me.

On the movie part, I have to agree. In my country, I've watch so many American movies being dubbed into my own nat'l language "The Filipino Language" or "Ang Wikang Pilipino" and it sounds so terrible even if I have a lot of patriotic fervor running in my veins. Why? It sounds so cheap, the voice actors indeed cannot match as they seem to water it down or make it sound corny if not downright so bad its good. Much as I love a show that is dubbed into a language that suits you best, here in my country, there is a large enough number of educated people who understands English a lot and it would be unnecessarily redundant if not impractical for them (including me myself) to ever hear such a thing. Now this is not to say that I just push those non-educated ones aside but rather if dubs are done, hire the fitting VAs and a well-made script to boot. Today, most of the Fil dubs done are mingled with English which would lower the integrity of the lines dubbed over in a translated manner, similarly, we even have here in my country over-acting dubbers who hammed scenes up in the wrong time and there are those who just didn't care and they sound monotone. Just my two cents here.

05-27-13, 10:13 AM

Well, the quality of the dub is a fact to consider, as well. I can't imagine the Filipino dub market is nearly as grand as the English one on a global scale, so it would make sense that not as much time and effort is put into the dubbing process.

05-27-13, 1:10 PM

XTApocalypse said:
Well, the quality of the dub is a fact to consider, as well. I can't imagine the Filipino dub market is nearly as grand as the English one on a global scale, so it would make sense that not as much time and effort is put into the dubbing process.

Especially if they're anything like those Singapore English dubs. Oh my God, those are so terrible.

05-27-13, 10:27 PM

mrbling252 said:
XTApocalypse said:

Especially if they're anything like those Singapore English dubs. Oh my God, those are so terrible.
\

True! I used to enjoy English dubs where ever they were made until quality kicked in, then came the "dubs are horrible!" from my offline peeps and I noticed that those that were of the US were of higher quality while those done in Singapore/ Hong Kong were utterly of low quality. Hell I watched K'ON! in both Official English Dub (via WatchCartoonsOnline and Youtube back then when Youtube wasn't a jerk) a and HK/S Dub (via Animax) and found a VERY HUGE (intended in highlighting this one) difference. I found the Official Dub highly superior that that or even as good if not better than the subbed version. The HK/ S dubbed one sounds like there was just one if not three dubbers and sounds so deadpan while the official version was clearly distinguishable as ever. Yes! Azusa in particular sounds old while in the official version she sounds so young and girly. Now I even remembered watching dothacks Sign and Legend of the Twilight as well as Chobits and I found the Official Dub still superior.

08-07-13, 3:32 PM

I started watching anime in dub, and ever since then I've been.. well.. used to it. Watching anime in the English version helps me understand the situations the characters are in and how the story is developing. Some of the subs have bad translations and they mess up what the characters are trying to say.

Let's just put it this way, I prefer the English dubs, but I don't mind the Japanese subs either. I'm watching Shingeki no Kyojin, which has been licensed by Funimation and I'm liking the voices so far. Though I'm excited to see what Funimation has in store for it. 8D

FMA and Black Lagoon are examples why there is a large number of people out there who prefer the English dubs.

"Even when our eyes are closed, there's a whole world out there that lives outside ourselves and our dreams."

08-07-13, 3:34 PM

SaberRitsu said:

The truth!

"Even when our eyes are closed, there's a whole world out there that lives outside ourselves and our dreams."

08-07-13, 3:58 PM

My first anime (not counting the childhood animes) was Naruto and I did indeed watch that in dub.

There's a lot of reasons why I love dubs:
1. I just like the language better than japanese overall.
2. Don't have to read subtitles.
3. I like almost all of the VA's.
4. Japanese seiyuus tend to sound a lot like others, there's only with few whom I really recognize.

...and the list goes on, but those are my main reasons.

My favorite VA is undoubtly John Swasey. Listening to him as Captain Ahab from Hakugei: Legend of Moby Dick was ultimately perfect. I can't even think of a nitpick for that role, it's incredibly good!

08-07-13, 4:48 PM

xPhantomhive said:
SaberRitsu said:

The truth!

Yes, that's absolutely true. It's very difficult to pull off an effective dub in live-action, especially a foreign one. Look at Roberto Benigni's Pinocchio! That movie was absolutely HIDEOUS dubbed (although it already was a dud entry), but the voices didn't match the actors' mouths OR expressions at all! I will say that Hideaki Anno's Cutie Honey wasn't TOO bad as a live-action dub, thanks to the talented Mike Sinterniklaas, but yeah, foreign live-action movies are better off subbed.

Pages (12) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices