Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 10, 2011 2:03 AM

Dec 2009
Those are multiple audio tracks, with one video track. Video takes up much more space than audio, and audio more than subtitles.
Apr 10, 2011 10:07 PM
Jan 2007
JohnShepard said:
Is it even possible to do that ? I don't think there's enough space on one disk for 2 video tracks.

FUNimation used to do this with a lot of their early releases, such as the early discs of Case Closed/Detective Conan.

Those were set up so that if you watched in Japanese you'd get the Japanese credits, on-screen text, and episode titles, as well as an English logo for "Detective Conan." While if you watched in English you got everything in English and the logo for Case Closed.
Apr 13, 2011 11:23 AM

Jun 2009
Hias said:
Mostly just preference, I didn't grow up collecting fansubed VHS tapes, nor did I download any off the net. And companies like Ocean Group and Funimation have VA's that I've come to enjoy hearing over the years.

While I can respect that some prefer the original Japanese(especially for particular shows that had an already excellent voice cast). I don't see much wrong with wanting to watch anime with english dubbing either.

Dubs really aren't that bad nowadays as well, not compared to the 90's at least.

stole the words right out of my mouth all execpt for The 90's DUBs comment, alot of them I really liked
Hiding Away in the Memory of a Better Day
Apr 13, 2011 2:33 PM

Nov 2007
It depends on how many episodes you put on a disk, but most of the dual video tracks I've seen just change out the title captions and opening/closing credits from Japanese to English, and not much else. If there are examples of radical video changes on the same DVD that aren't listed as completely separate episodes, please let us know. Well, besides Initial D. I've also seen video commentary tracks like the pop ups on Excel Saga & Nerima Daikon Brothers.
AngusApr 14, 2011 10:30 AM
Apr 13, 2011 10:09 PM

Aug 2010
Ok, that makes sense.

Apr 14, 2011 12:10 AM

Dec 2009
There are also something called "image subtitles." I'm not sure what they are, but if they're what they sound like, I have to wonder why more people don't use those for signs and slide cards.

Example: The Fullmetal Alchemist logo that appears at the middle point of each episode was in English on the [as] broadcast, as well as the main title sequence. On my DVD's, the main title's in English while the slide cards keep the Japanese logo.
Apr 15, 2011 8:48 PM
Jun 2008
I actually like both dubbed and subbed versions. Here though are my reasons why I like the dubs.

The first and formost reason is, this is the easiest way for me to watch Anime with by brother. He has problems reading the subtitles and while he did watch one Anime with me that was subbed only, he struggled with that one.

Second is, I don't have to rewind to catch subtitles I wasn't able to catch. I heard the words, so I know what is going on. I can also focus on the animation, sound and story more.

The third reason, I like comparing the two. I sometimes watch dubs with the Japanese subs turned on so that I can see where things are changed. I also did this when I didn't think the dub version matched up to the original (picture context)and I go and check and I am right.
Jul 19, 2011 11:51 PM

Dec 2010
The main reason why people like dubs so much is because they don't have to worry about trying to read the subtitles and watch the animation at the same time. That's my main reason for watching dubs as well. But if the dub version is not available for an anime series/season, I'm willing to watch the subs.
Dec 25, 2011 9:54 AM

Dec 2010
Quick and short reasons why I watch English Dubbed animes over the subs.
- Easier to watch and listen by not reading the subs.
Explanation: Most of us anime fans are/were watching it originally subbed but then several instances happen when our attention span only to the subs without realizing the awesomeness of the scenery. That's right! I really am distracted if there is a sub for I tend to read and read to the point of being exhausted. Look here, it is like reading a book but with moving pictures added. Watching and listening it dubbed gives one an experience that would have both visual and audio set at maximum heights as one sees the action intact while the words spoken are easily understood and interpreted by the mind as easy as they are. However, this would not be the case when I am watching live action superhero programs (tokusatsus) like Kamen Rider, Ultraman and Super Sentai as well as Metal Heroes. It is live action and to avoid too much Hong Kong Dub (tvtrope it), better stick to the subs for the live voices as well as the henshin stuffs are done in epic proportions.

- The English Dubbed ones are having lesser grammar and spelling errors.
Explanation: I find that several subs out there are either rushed or have just little to no care at all as to whether or not their subs are accurate both in translation and grammar. The dub on the other hand, averts misspellings and minimizes the grammar error down to the size of a dime as compared to that of a big plate of the subs.

- I understand English more than Japanese.
Explanation: I keep on watching EWTN, Discovery Channel, National Geographic Channel, HBO, Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, Solar USA, CNN, BBC and a lot more English language channels out there, supplemented by many English textbooks which are so easy to understand.

- I speak English everyday with my national language the Wikang Pilipino/ Filipino (and a dialect we call Visayan)
Explanation: Much like the above... Growing up in a country that embraces the English language, the Republic of the Philippines, it is no doubt that English is was and is taught in schools from elementary to college which harnessed my skills in that language. Honestly, I really find English the easiest language to speak and write among other foreign languages out there. Japanese on the other hand is quite difficult for some of their sentences lack pronouns, and when they speak, it is hard for me to know whether or not the person is speaking of "he" or "her" or "it". Another thing is that one syllable can have multiple meanings which can be hard but not like Chinese (albeit it is my ancestral language for I am a Chinese in blood but with a Filipino culture) where it is so difficult to speak. I choose English more for I am able to distinguish several things and it is simple and effective. I admit, I do love the sexy Japanese seiyuu voices, especially Eri Kitamura (Nao Takanashi), Kaori Mizuhashi (Mami Tomoe), Mai Kadowaki (Illyasviel von Einzbern), Rina Satou (Misaka Mikoto) and a lot more but please! For the sake of English, the dub has been chosen as the champ for it.

- Everytime the characters speak in English, it is English, not Engrish.
Explanation: Whenever we hear the original dub (I mean, the Japanese version), most often they always murder an English word because they follow the pronunciation based upon the Kanas p. Example : ハイエブリボディ! アイムファイン! サンキュウ!/Hai Eburibodi! Aim fain! Sankyuu!
which means "Hi Everybody! I'm fine! Thank you!" in pure English which sounds awkward, if not a very rich source of NARM (tvtrope it!). Sometimes, it can get really annoying as they cannot pronounce it well. While in English, they sound okay. However, there are some little exceptions like that one in Bakemonogatari wherein Senjougahara said this really well "PTA"---> "Parent Teacher Association" and another specifically in Angel Beats where we have TK speaking it!

- Accents. Real, real, real accents.
Explanation: A case in Hellsing really brought up a wonderful British and Italian accents which made it much, much, much justifiable. They do not try hard enough to deliver it splendidly for it is the nat'l language of the English VAs. Look, they do not force it out, they are just natural.

-English is international!
Explanation: No need to expound this, it is already obvious! Many countries like the US, UK, Ireland, The Philippines, Australia, New Zealand and a lot more out there speak English! In statistics, there are more English speakers than Japanese speakers.

Of course, all are in the "Your Mileage May Vary" category here but then as a dub lover, I honestly am proud to stand up for the international language that I love a lot.

OT side note: Because this is not powered or run by VBulletin, which I have my absolute preference of choice, I just cannot put links here the way I do with forums with VBulletin power.
HyperCobaltMaxJan 28, 2013 12:02 PM
Dec 25, 2011 10:15 AM

Dec 2009
A very apt summary, HCM. (I don't know what to call you for short. =( )

HyperCobaltMax said:
I find that several subs out there are either rushed or have just little to no care at all as to whether or not their subs are accurate both in translation and grammar. The dub on the other hand, averts misspellings and minimizes the grammar error down to the size of a dime as compared to that of a big plate of the subs.

About half the reason for this is that most of the subs that people watch are fansubs (but I have seen it with professional ones all too often as well), and half is that people tend to expect subtitles to be translated into English from Japanese on a word-for-word basis. Which really doesn't work too well - if you don't restructure the dialogue at least enough so that it sounds fluid in English, it will just come out blocky and awkward-sounding. Which, in my experience, I've found most subs - fansubs especially - to be.

HyperCobaltMax said:
Everytime the characters speak in English, it is English. Not Engrish.
Explanation: Whenever we hear the original dub (I mean, the Japanese version), most often they always murder an English word because they follow the pronunciation based upon the Kanas p. Example : ハイエブリボディ! アイムファイン! サンキュウ!/Hai Eburibodi! Aim fain! Sankyuu!
which means "Hi Everybody! I'm fine! Thank you!" in pure English which sounds awkward, if not a very rich source of NARM (tvtrope it!). Sometimes, it can get really annoying as they cannot pronounce it well. While in English, they sound okay. However, there are some little exceptions like that one in Bakemonogatari wherein Senjougahara said this really well "PTA"---> "Parent Teacher Association" and another specifically in Angel Beats where we have TK speaking it!

I agree, and would even go a step farther than that. I think that, in most cases, English speakers are able to speak Japanese/use Japanese terminology better than Japanese speakers are able to use English. Most of the reason for this is because the English language incorporates many more sounds and syllables than Japanese... not all of them, mind you; having spoken English all my life, I still can't get that rolling "R" used in Spanish and similar languages down. But syllabically, Japanese is one of the less complicated languages.

HyperCobaltMax said:
Explanation: A case in Hellsing really brought up a wonderful British and Italian accents which makes it much, much, much justifiable. They do not try hard enough to deliver it splendidly for it is the nat'l language of the English VAs. Look, they do not force it out, they are just natural.

Another big point. And Hellsing has one of my favorite dubs chiefly because of the authenticity of the accents. It just feels odd to hear a series that's all about British people and British culture taking place in Britain speaking unfiltered Japanese to eachother.

Out of curiosity, how many languages do you speak? There were a few grammatical errors in your post, but I'm impressed with your knowledge.

Side note: If you want to post a link, use the following code, with []'s instead of {}'s.

{url=LINK}TEXT{/url}
Dec 25, 2011 10:10 PM

Jun 2007
That's a whole lotta words. I find most of it to be good reasons too.

But unless we're talking anime fans in general, and even than that's stretching it, I don't agree that English speakers can speak Japanese better than the opposite, even if I do agree that our language allows for a better variety of speech patterns.
A LOT of Amurrcans, as many actual Americans actually say American, can barely speak the English language correctly. Asking anyone to say any word not native to them batches it up hilariously. On the same level as the worst Engrish from a Japanese tongue.

This really goes both ways and as long as the person doesn't know it, it will come out poorly.
I also don't believe TK said English good at all lol. I mean it's the over exaggerated Terry Bogard style talk lol. AWW YOU OKAY!? BUSTAA WOLF!
Dec 25, 2011 11:38 PM

Dec 2009
Maybe I misspoke a bit. In reference to English- and Japanese-speakers globally, Japanese-speakers might have the upper hand just because English is so commonly taught in schools there. I really don't know about that one.

As far as voice acting goes, though, only once in a blue moon do I hear someone speaking in a respectable series' English dub totally botch a Japanese term. In fact the worst I can think of in any series off the top of my head is people in the Pokemon dub pronouncing it "poh-kee-mon." Listening to Japanese-dubbed anime, though, the English lines are usually dreadfully executed... not always, but definitely more often than not. So I think that people in the English anime-dubbing industry can sound fluent using Japanese terminology better than Japanese voice actors using English terminology.
Dec 26, 2011 5:02 AM

Dec 2010
XTApocalypse said:
A very apt summary, HCM. (I don't know what to call you for short. =( )

HyperCobaltMax said:
I find that several subs out there are either rushed or have just little to no care at all as to whether or not their subs are accurate both in translation and grammar. The dub on the other hand, averts misspellings and minimizes the grammar error down to the size of a dime as compared to that of a big plate of the subs.

About half the reason for this is that most of the subs that people watch are fansubs (but I have seen it with professional ones all too often as well), and half is that people tend to expect subtitles to be translated into English from Japanese on a word-for-word basis. Which really doesn't work too well - if you don't restructure the dialogue at least enough so that it sounds fluid in English, it will just come out blocky and awkward-sounding. Which, in my experience, I've found most subs - fansubs especially - to be.

HyperCobaltMax said:
Everytime the characters speak in English, it is English. Not Engrish.

I agree, and would even go a step farther than that. I think that, in most cases, English speakers are able to speak Japanese/use Japanese terminology better than Japanese speakers are able to use English. Most of the reason for this is because the English language incorporates many more sounds and syllables than Japanese... not all of them, mind you; having spoken English all my life, I still can't get that rolling "R" used in Spanish and similar languages down. But syllabically, Japanese is one of the less complicated languages.

HyperCobaltMax said:
Explanation: A case in Hellsing really brought up a wonderful British and Italian accents which makes it much, much, much justifiable. They do not try hard enough to deliver it splendidly for it is the nat'l language of the English VAs. Look, they do not force it out, they are just natural.

Another big point. And Hellsing has one of my favorite dubs chiefly because of the authenticity of the accents. It just feels odd to hear a series that's all about British people and British culture taking place in Britain speaking unfiltered Japanese to eachother.

Out of curiosity, how many languages do you speak? There were a few grammatical errors in your post, but I'm impressed with your knowledge.

Side note: If you want to post a link, use the following code, with []'s instead of {}'s.

<pre>{url=LINK}TEXT{/url}

*Paragraph-by-paragraph and a little sentence-by-sentence reply*
It is short but I added it with explanation for I just feel like it would not be that good if I just leave it as they are. Those explanations can also be considered as optional.

Sometimes, the subs can be irritating as they mislead the audience in a grammatical way. I mean, I have seen so many fansubbed animes out there and these people are not reviewing the grammar and stuffs. Another thing is that it may give too obvious, if not, it may give the character a guilt of being "Captain Obvious". Like, I do not hate the subs as a whole but it is just that mostly, fansubs are prone to errors.

Another thing is that, the L and R switching. I have heard this several times in anime and tokusatsu that they say things like "Reberu", which can mean "Lever", "Revel", "Level", "Rebel" or any near-sounding words. It can be a bit irritating if you are a good English speaker because you can hardly understand it, unless analysis is done in between or so. I agree though, that the Japanese language is one of the easiest to speak of all of the foreign languages out there for we are just speaking in pre-defined syllables rather than multiple consonants and exception-to-the-rule pronunciation of words. Like, it reminds me of my nat'l language's (Ang Wikang Pilipino/ The Filipino Language) ABAKADA phonetics. BTW, I just remembered Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha and I am so impressed with the English of their devices in the subbed versions for they are authentic. Raising Heart and Bardiche's English FTW!!!

Yes! Indeed! I love the way how Crispin Freeman, K.T. Gray and Victoria Hardwood did their respective roles in that show at full stop. Another thing is that we have this Hetalia, where every single character speaks English WITH THEIR OWN COUNTRY'S ACCENT! Man! I watched the first episode of Hetalia dub and subbed and I enjoyed the dub more for the justifiable pronunciation. Well done America (country, not the character)! Well done!

I speak English, Filipino, Visayan (dialect), a few Hebrew, Greek and Latin (because they are the languages of my faith as a Christian that belongs to the Roman Catholic Church), a few Japanese (because of being a big fan of Japanese multimedia like games, anime, tokusatsu, Vocaloids and a lot more). Yeah, I am aware of that because I got so excited about my response for this specific thread and thanks for the impression though.

Thanks! I will do my best because I am more used to the VBulletin- powered forums out there and that is why I am not that good in here with the links but the Youtube and the picture ones.

iwatch2muchanime said:

This really goes both ways and as long as the person doesn't know it, it will come out poorly.
I also don't believe TK said English good at all lol. I mean it's the over exaggerated Terry Bogard style talk lol. AWW YOU OKAY!? BUSTAA WOLF!

Exception to that one with the English to Japanese and vice versa spoken words in one show is done wonderfully in Heroes as an example and as a whole.

George Takei, Jack Coleman, David Anders and James Kyson Lee managed to perform it splendidly.

Well, he said it nicely in my ears, even if he speaks like Terry Bogard.
Dec 26, 2011 8:26 AM

Dec 2009
It's a pity Hellsing is the only dub that K.T. Gray is in... or at least credited for being in on her profile. She has a lovely voice.
Dec 26, 2011 11:50 AM

Jun 2007
I totally agree that in the anime industry in general, English speaking Japanese is better more often than Japanese speaking English.

Lol i thought Heroes had good japanese too until season 2 when i watched it with a friends parents who are from japan and they said that most of them had terrible accents and couldn't pronounce words right. I was like.......... ouch.
Dec 26, 2011 5:28 PM

Dec 2010
XTApocalypse said:
It's a pity Hellsing is the only dub that K.T. Gray is in... or at least credited for being in on her profile. She has a lovely voice.

I agree, I wish that she could go for more roles as her ANN and [[http://myanimelist.net/people/301/Katharine_Gray ]] her profile in our site} only has 2. Like what happened?

A voice like hers could reek pigeonholding.

iwatch2muchanime said:
I totally agree that in the anime industry in general, English speaking Japanese is better more often than Japanese speaking English.

Lol i thought Heroes had good japanese too until season 2 when i watched it with a friends parents who are from japan and they said that most of them had terrible accents and couldn't pronounce words right. I was like.......... ouch.

Well, I think there was a rare case that Miyuki Sawashiro reprised her role in the English version of Di Gi Charat- A Trip to the Planet which is so surprising to hear.

Well, in my ears, they speak good Japanese.
Dec 26, 2011 9:35 PM

Dec 2009
Now I have to defend Grey's accent on her profile page. Goodness, I can't seem to stay out of arguments anywhere. =/
Dec 31, 2011 7:54 PM

Dec 2010
Guys, I have to put this trailer here:

and I have to admit that they have a good choice of VAs here.
Look!
K'ON's Azunyan, Mio and Ritsu are reunited.
Lyrical Nanoha's Nanoha and Chrono Harlaown/ Arf are reunited too!
Tekken Blood and Vengeance's Alisa and Ling Xiaoyu are reunited as well.

Thank you Cristina Vee for this!

I admit, I love the trailer a lot but I must not put my hopes too high for this.
Dec 31, 2011 9:16 PM

Dec 2009
I've never seen any of the things you just referenced. <=(
Jan 1, 2012 2:29 AM

Jun 2007
I find that really sad XTA.....

I also want to say though that that trailer does NO justice in even trying to show you what that show is really like. That's by far one of the most misleading trailers in the world.

It's like the LE Box for Higurashi... that show is not about cute waitresses.... not at all.
Jan 1, 2012 9:34 AM

Dec 2009
I think I was waiting for the K-ON! dub to watch it. How long ago was it released? Last I heard about it was the trailer for it someone posted here in the club.
Jan 3, 2012 4:40 AM

Dec 2010
XTApocalypse said:
I've never seen any of the things you just referenced. <=(

What? Haven't seen them?
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
K'ON!
Tekken: Blood and Vengeance? Watch them. They are good!

iwatch2muchanime said:
I find that really sad XTA.....

I also want to say though that that trailer does NO justice in even trying to show you what that show is really like. That's by far one of the most misleading trailers in the world.

It's like the LE Box for Higurashi... that show is not about cute waitresses.... not at all.

That is why we have this trope, courtesy of TvTropes dot org:
Never Trust A Trailer!
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NeverTrustATrailer

That trope simplifies the trailer's entirety. Making it look so cheerful and happy... UNTIL Episode 3 that is... Even I was not prepared to see that one even if I was ALREADY spoiled by TVTROPES.
Jan 4, 2012 1:47 AM

Oct 2010
Let's put it this way

I don't have 30 minutes to watch a 20 minute show because I HAVE A LIFE. I need not read a TV show and in many cases such as captions or subs switch too quickly, I have to rewind, pause it, and read it, then continue.

Plus, it's easier to understand what's going on when you're hearing it and not reading it. And anyone with WORKING ears will know that NOT ALL DUBS ARE BAD.
Jan 4, 2012 2:35 PM

Jul 2009
That's the point though. The Japanese marketing for the show did basically the same thing. Not wanting the shows darkness to be shown through preview, but rather shock the audience.
Jan 9, 2012 2:13 AM

Dec 2010
That is why we have this trope courtesy of TvTropes dot org as our reminder when trailers that seem to be so happy to be true.

Anyways, I really cannot wait for its release. I love to buy that dubbed Madoka Magica as part of my anime collection (which by now, is still little).
Jan 18, 2012 7:40 PM
Jan 2008
Blea said:
Let's put it this way

I don't have 30 minutes to watch a 20 minute show because I HAVE A LIFE. I need not read a TV show and in many cases such as captions or subs switch too quickly, I have to rewind, pause it, and read it, then continue.

Plus, it's easier to understand what's going on when you're hearing it and not reading it. And anyone with WORKING ears will know that NOT ALL DUBS ARE BAD.

Quoted for truth. As someone who has an open ear, I have not found all dubs to be bad in the least. Yes, there are some which aren't perfect, but few of the dubs I've ever seen were truly horrid. I personally feel it's better to give Anime dubs the benefit of the doubt instead of writing them off beforehand; that's just not something I consider beneficial at all.
Jan 19, 2012 8:30 AM

Nov 2007
Well if you really want to cut the time, there's speed-subbing (play video at 2x speed with captions) but most video players don't handle that well.
Jan 28, 2012 9:34 PM

Dec 2010
I've just finished watching Axis Powers Hetalia S1 and S2 and definitely, the dub is so far superior in my opinion. While indeed it is true that the Japanese version may be good, but then they are just limited to a few Japanese accents. The dub however brings us every single accents in English. I find it also good that they added some extras like this:
Germany said this in APH S2 Ep 1:
Original: And so, Italy skipped his training again today.
Dub: Ditto but with added "Lazy bastard!" which makes it better.

Seriously, I've never been so full of enthusiasm watching 20+ episodes watching the hilarity that the dub has made.
May 26, 2012 2:48 PM

Apr 2012
The reason I like dubs that most of them need to be. Good examples are chrono crusade, Soul eater, and many others.
Jun 5, 2012 11:23 AM

Jul 2007
HyperCobaltMax said:

Seriously, I've never been so full of enthusiasm watching 20+ episodes

It helps that each episode is only 5 minutes long.

Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness bringing torment and pain to others, oh damned soul wallowing in your sin...perhaps it is time to die
Jun 5, 2012 11:19 PM

Dec 2010
coolcat said:
HyperCobaltMax said:

Seriously, I've never been so full of enthusiasm watching 20+ episodes

It helps that each episode is only 5 minutes long.

And are also played by the right VAs with the voices of Eric Vale, Michael J. Tatum, Patrick Seitz, Jerry Jewel and the rest. I personally enjoyed their performance over that of the Japanese version.

Now, I rewatched Digimon Tamers and I personally liked how the dub goes, especially that we have Steve Blum, Melissa Fahn, Bridget Hoffman, Michael McConnohie on deck.
Jun 6, 2012 7:50 AM

Jul 2007
Hetalia is a fun dub.

Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness bringing torment and pain to others, oh damned soul wallowing in your sin...perhaps it is time to die
Jun 6, 2012 8:39 AM

Dec 2009
Wait, Blum and McConnohie are in Digimon Tamers?
Jun 10, 2012 7:11 PM

Jun 2007
Blum is the guy running the entire organization that's tracking the Digimon. Man in Glasses. Kenta AND Guilmon himself lol

He's also BLACK WAR GREYMON
Jun 12, 2012 8:46 AM

Aug 2011
Why do I like English dubs? Because English is the only language I know and trying to read subs and watch the anime is a pain in the ass.

Active Military, Prior Service and Veteran's Anime Club
do not forget the sound of my voice until the day we reunite
Jul 10, 2012 10:30 AM

Sep 2011
Grand reason was that so I wouldn't have to squint to read the freakin subs, much easier to relax and enjoy the show. Plus some dubs sound really great and some take some smart liberties. Yu yu hakusho is one show I CANNOT listen to the original audio for beacuse the dub is too much fun and fitted in perfectly with the show. Sgt. frog made a few episodes funnier (for me at least) because some of the cultural jokes flew over my head, plus Keroro sounds more like a jerk now in that its easier to laugh at him when he gets his just deserts, because he sounds like he desrves them. Baccano, which even dub haters agree had the brilliant choice of making everyone have a new york mobster like accent and recently Deadman wonderland has made things alot more crass for the better to make the "you're in jail" feel real.
Sep 16, 2012 12:01 PM

Dec 2010
XTApocalypse said:
Wait, Blum and McConnohie are in Digimon Tamers?

Yep! Mister Tamaki and Azulongmon respectively.
Sep 18, 2012 3:28 PM

Nov 2007
My visions gone downhill. How am I going to read them captions?? ;)
Mar 15, 2013 9:08 PM
Mar 2013
For me I grew up watching dubs, and really after so many years its natural to me. I was watching sailor moon dubs as a child when it first came out, and haven't really looked back. I don't know - for me Im sort of a casual fan, and I 100% have no love for Japan or its culture, so I really don't even care to hear it in Japanese with subtitles to read.

I don't think subs are bad or wrong, just not my thing.
Mar 19, 2013 11:51 PM

Jan 2013
Mostly cuz I prefer to hear the words in my own language so I can concentrate on watching the anime/scenes/characters, rather than have my eyes glued to the bottom of the screen reading subtitles.

Mar 20, 2013 2:49 AM

Mar 2012
I'll never understand dub haters. One of the arguments they use (To cover up the fact that they're just massive weeaboos) is that they just watch everything in its original language.

But here's the thing. Foreign movie dubs are widely regarded as being terrible. The voices just can't match up with what's happening on the screen. I don't know anyone who would get serious enjoyment out of watching dubbed foreign movies.

With anime, the majority of people in western countries don't care because... they're cartoons. There's nothing inheritly special about the original language of something that's usually made for kids. They don't have the same problems as live action films. The fact that people get so hot and bothered about people watching cartoons in their own language is beyond me.

tl;dr: Because I'm not a massive weeaboo
Mar 20, 2013 9:01 AM

Dec 2009
That sounds like a terrible attitude to have. It sounds like you're saying, "They're just cartoons so they don't matter. They're not REAL entertainment like live-action."

It is worth noting, however, that the vast majority are animated such that they can be dubbed in multiple languages. That's why the mouths just flap instead of having proper syllabic motions. That's the biggest difference between dubbed animation and dubbed live action.
Mar 21, 2013 3:03 AM

Mar 2012
That's not the message I was trying to get across. What I'm trying to do is criticise the dub haters argument that they just believe that everything should be watched it in its original language.

But the thing is that most people would watch French cinema in French anyway. The only thing that's different from them and the average person living in the west is that they watch anime with subtitles when most people would watch it dubbed.
Mar 22, 2013 7:50 PM

Dec 2009
I'm still not sure I understand your argument, or how you're connecting anime with foreign movies. Wouldn't "most people watch French cinema in French" be something that sub-premacists would use to SUPPORT their claims that everything should be watched in its original language?
Mar 22, 2013 8:39 PM

Oct 2012
I like English Dubs if they fit the setting or if I'm just lazy.
Sometimes when the majority cast is other than Japanese it gets annoying when they say names. "Arekusuanda" "Andateka" "erizabesu" gets annoying imo.
also when even the male characters sound like girls.. it's just ... e___e

But I like both Jap or Eng. I just think Eng dubs have rights too x3
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Mar 30, 2013 10:46 AM

Aug 2009
I don't like reading words at the bottom of the screen.I find that from watching subs and dubs that a lot of your attention is on the subs instead of mostly on everything else that is going on in the anime. If I want to read then there are these things called books, magazines, web forums, newspapers.

Characters from another country will usually have an accent.

Watching a anime in your own language closely gives you the same experience watching that those in Japan did. Those in Japan watching the anime didn't need to read little words on the bottom of the screen, nor did they need to look up wikipedia to see what a word,honorific or phrase means.Most dubbing companies also leave out the Japanese honorifics or they find English equivalent of those words.S they didn't need to look up wikipedia to see what the hell Onichan means
Mar 30, 2013 11:18 AM

Dec 2009
I want you to know that I only half-read most of that because I was distracted by your awesome avatar.
Mar 30, 2013 6:45 PM
Feb 2013
i like dubs because when you understand what they are saying its easier to watch and appreciate the art and shit thats happening also if you miss a word or something while reading it can be confusing not to mention its better for taking it in because you arent using one sense for two different things (only weeaboos are anti-dub)
Apr 21, 2013 3:05 PM

Jul 2008
I like dubs because they're easier for me to watch the anime, I'm waaay to lazy to read the subs on every anime that I watch. I remember there was a time when people where excited to see/hear which voice actor was going to play who in the series.

To me both english/japanese dubs can get extremely annoying, Laura Baley plays all the girls in one anime, the japanese shy girl in anime always get that annoying high pitch voice, that seriously wants me to plug my ears. Back to back its the same but I think english Dubs has more variety than those who get "idol" status in Japanese Dubs.

I rather listen to variety-english dub-voices than that of perfect-japanese dub-voices. And lets face it, people dont watch anime for subs, they just like to hear the japanese voices because they have more "emotion" into their voice acting than actually reading subs. No one cares about subs, they are only there to communicate/translate to the other audiences.

Sigh~ I hope that make sense
Apr 21, 2013 7:05 PM

Nov 2012
SHINOKAZI09 said:
I like dubs because they're easier for me to watch the anime, I'm waaay to lazy to read the subs on every anime that I watch. I remember there was a time when people where excited to see/hear which voice actor was going to play who in the series.

To me both english/japanese dubs can get extremely annoying, Laura Baley plays all the girls in one anime, the japanese shy girl in anime always get that annoying high pitch voice, that seriously wants me to plug my ears. Back to back its the same but I think english Dubs has more variety than those who get "idol" status in Japanese Dubs.

I rather listen to variety-english dub-voices than that of perfect-japanese dub-voices. And lets face it, people dont watch anime for subs, they just like to hear the japanese voices because they have more "emotion" into their voice acting than actually reading subs. No one cares about subs, they are only there to communicate/translate to the other audiences.

Sigh~ I hope that make sense

I read somewhere that psychologically speaking, people find foreign languages more emotional and in depth because they are not accustomed to that language and it is harder to get an emotional reading off words that do not normally hear. At least thats the best way I can explain it. Also do not know how true that was. I just remember some guy arguing that foreigners were giving some German actor in a move too much credit.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is a dub song from a children’s anime dub that you love the most?

funtime43_tr - Mar 9

0 by funtime43_tr »»
Mar 9, 9:42 AM

» English dub fan, what do you think of these Japanese dubs of American cartoons?

mdo7 - Aug 31, 2020

2 by mdo7 »»
Nov 14, 2023 5:43 PM

» What are your Top 5-10 Favorite English Dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KidRyan - Mar 14, 2009

261 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Oct 13, 2023 1:55 AM

» In Defense of 4kids/New York voice actors.

funtime43_tr - Oct 25, 2022

1 by SwatKat1990 »»
Jan 18, 2023 5:54 PM

» Notable 2022 Anime that didn't get Dubbed

Aan120898 - Dec 29, 2022

1 by MeanMrMusician »»
Dec 30, 2022 1:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.