Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 23, 2010 1:30 AM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I haven't had such a teary-eyed experience for quite a while now. For some reason, it's very heart-wrenching to see someone blind being harassed; the effects are multiplied when it's some bratty kids getting involved.

I would have loved it more if Gil-son wasn't such a troublemaker; I just hate when kids act that way even though there's really no helping it. The ending was quite good though, with him sacrificing himself to open his sister's eyes. Hopefully she gets to lead a full life.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 23, 2011 1:27 PM

Aug 2010
Talk about determination! I loved everything about this movie.

HawthorneKitty said:
The ending was quite good though, with him sacrificing himself to open his sister's eyes. Hopefully she gets to lead a full life.
We don't know that he went blind for sure but it seems that Gilson was kept alive by whatever god that was and now he is just in a deep sleep for a while. Gilson is so innocent to die at such a young age.
Jul 25, 2011 5:03 PM
Dec 2009
dusFlaesPhan said:
Talk about determination! I loved everything about this movie.

HawthorneKitty said:
The ending was quite good though, with him sacrificing himself to open his sister's eyes. Hopefully she gets to lead a full life.
We don't know that he went blind for sure but it seems that Gilson was kept alive by whatever god that was and now he is just in a deep sleep for a while. Gilson is so innocent to die at such a young age.

I believe he actually does die in the legend that the movie is based on. However, I agree that the film seemed to leave it open-ended.
Sep 10, 2011 6:32 AM
Mar 2011
dusFlaesPhan said:

It was said that his spirit has gone to Nirvana, so I believe he died.

This anime has reminded me about the film "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring". The film is about the boy who is an apprentice of buddhist monk. By the way, the film is Korean too.
Feb 19, 2013 2:40 AM

Nov 2008
Even though I don't watch anything that's not in Japanese, now I would recommend this movie to all anime fans.
Dec 25, 2014 6:36 PM

Feb 2013
Fantastic movie. 8/10 would watch again.

Jan 7, 2015 9:11 PM

Mar 2009
In true Korean style, it was quite melodramatic. The scenery and art were so beautiful, and I loved the character of the older sister. However, I think I would have enjoyed this movie more if there wasn't someone crying on screen every 5 minutes.
Sep 7, 2015 12:41 PM

Apr 2014
Really touching and I absolutely love the girl's voice it's so soft and kinda gave me chills lol.
Sep 20, 2017 11:45 PM

Aug 2016
This movie failed to touch me, the emotions portrayed felt pretty bland.
I felt like the point of the movie was just to try and make you cry, wich is not bad in itself but you got to have some substance to it, because when you fail there is nothing left.
Oct 1, 2018 3:31 PM

Jul 2011
I don't get the ending at all. Wtf happened? Did he die and all the supernatural things were just girl's imagination?

The kid on the other hand was so nasty, was impossible for me to feel anything towards him other than irritation.

Drawing was good btw. But that's all.

4/10

:/
May 15, 2019 7:52 AM

Jul 2016
Nice movie, an ok movie, 3/5
May 15, 2019 7:53 AM

Jul 2016
Some kids were annoying, but it has a good story and a decent ending.
May 15, 2019 7:54 AM

Jul 2016
Overall I would give this movie a 5/10
Aug 27, 2020 11:12 AM
Dec 2019
I thought they were going in the direction of being more spiritual and coping with loss by feeling the presence of his mother through nature, but then they went with an outright depiction of the Goddess of Mercy and the kid being sent to Heaven. That's too on the nose. Even if the creators themselves were spiritual and believed in gods, it's important that they express their beliefs in a more subtle manner so that even those that don't believe in them could share in their spirituality.

At least the journey was beautiful. The soft blues and gentle reds of the sky along with the tender hand-drawn animation were beautiful in their own right.
Jun 9, 2021 6:11 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Not a pretty impressive movie for me, honestly. Idk. Maybe my expectation just too high over this one, or my taste not really clicked onto this hermitage tale. This is too obvious. But, the ending, unfortunately also quite vague. So, there's people thought some different things while myself believe on this ending: i may think that the boy really death, and the blinded girl only left to see the temporary imagination surrounding her, not the permanent. As you can see how she held the boy all around her.

That's being said, its an okay movie, pretty obvious from the beginning that this is not about a good wholesome kind of story. I even thought that Oseam actually Ocean, cause its sounds similar. Kek. But, There's several twist goin on, ie for the monk fate, the boy, so its make the movie actually good enough to reconsider. But, overall, its just fine for my standard, nothing more.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Aug 14, 2022 2:02 PM
Apr 2020
This was really good, perfect ending
He died and ascended to nirvana (heaven) to be with his mother finally
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.