Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 23, 2010 1:21 PM

Apr 2009
Maybe since I'm used to Zero Punctuation, I'm quite keen this.

I like the art, but I feel like I've seen enough of it before.
Other than this show's pretentious use of language, it seems interesting.
What I'm wondering about most is what will happen in the next episode. I hope the rewind wasn't just an effect to transition into the ED..
But he most likely fell. :o
Apr 23, 2010 1:47 PM

Apr 2009
Sherr said:
I like the art, but I feel like I've seen enough of it before.

images_google_com: asian kung fu generation albums cover
When I watch the opening, I thinking the same, and then appeared the Asian Kung-Fu Generation's credit. :D

Btw. am i the only who thinking Sakamoto Maaya have two similar roll the same season?

"There's no such thing as a coma. He is surly previewing the afterlife." by
Apr 23, 2010 2:00 PM

Nov 2009
As with everyone, the fast text took me out of my comfort zone and questioned why i started watching this. However what i managed to read i liked. (I didn't help that i decided to ignore summaries too.)
I agree the animation looked really crappy, (the first player i watched it on was bad, resulting in bleeding eyes) and i don't think i can accept it for style.

So somebody on page 2 took that screen shot from like 10 seconds in. I didn't go back and re-watch the start, but that helped clarify that random certain sound effect. ty!
Apr 23, 2010 2:40 PM

Sep 2008
Its easy to see that the story this is based on must be very well written; with the comedy, characterization and humor deftly handled by the writer(s). I had to pause more than a dozen times and roll back the vid a few times to catch everything, but it was really worth it. Masterpiece of a first episode, this one.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Apr 23, 2010 2:42 PM
Dec 2007
I'd somewhat built this up in my head over the last few weeks (Yuasa fanboy), yet this first episode was every bit as good as I wanted it to be. I had no idea what it was about going into it, but I'm already hooked on these characters and really excited about how things might go. A surreal, epic, feel good love story awaits! I think if people can get past the surface level idiosyncrasies, they will find some surprisingly heart-felt romance and some delightfully bitter dialogue. This was the best first episode of anime I've seen for the longest of times.
Apr 23, 2010 2:47 PM

Apr 2009
Hoo boy, my brain is overloaded xD Keeping up with this when your native language isn't English = not easy. But I already like it :) And yay, main character's voice is Junpei!
Anyway, a bunch of interesting characters and a very unusual style are definitely a plus in my book. Spring 2010 makes up for my disappointments in winter 2010, so far.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Apr 23, 2010 2:55 PM

Jun 2009
i felt like i was watching something made by shaft
Apr 23, 2010 2:59 PM

Dec 2008
More like SHAFT wishes it could be the powerhouse that is Yuasa/Madhouse.
Apr 23, 2010 3:35 PM
Feb 2010
Victory---> I found a site with the subs. :)
This freaking rocks.
Apr 23, 2010 4:01 PM

Aug 2009
antitype said:
More like SHAFT wishes it could be the powerhouse that is Yuasa/Madhouse.

I am a SHAFT fan but ^^This
Apr 23, 2010 4:16 PM

Nov 2007
This is great! Just the kind of anime I need: tending towards slice of life, funny, unusual art, strange/mysterious. Reminds me a lot of Trapeze except less abstract and colour-intense. The fast talking is off-putting but I'll get used to it. (Props to the seiyuu~)

The ED is awesome. Yakushimaru Etsuko; I thought it sounded familiar! She did the OP for Natsu no Arashi S2, which I also liked a lot.
yamakasiApr 23, 2010 4:34 PM
Apr 23, 2010 4:56 PM

Dec 2007
.....I tried. I really did.
I think I'll just wait for PT-BR subs, if someone here will have courage. Damn.
Apr 23, 2010 5:08 PM
Dec 2007
Phenomenal introduction, as expected from Yuasa and Madhouse. It was incredible visually speaking, the script is denser than anything I've seen animated except for Seto no Hanayome (I've NEVER seen that much dialogues being packed in a single episode, simple as that), and at the same time, it's quite clear : a guy will try to find love in living the same two college years again and again, only changing the club he enrolls in at the beginning of the year. Huge potential there. If you add to that two fantastic OP and ED, you certainly have the series of the season. Oh and I'm already quite fond of Maaya Sakamoto's character, Akashi. Then again, Yuasa is a master at creating great and strong female characters.

To sum it up, it was extremely complex, but brilliant, all hail Masaaki Yuasa as usual !

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 23, 2010 5:58 PM

Apr 2009
I can't do it. The text goes away too fast or I'm just not a fast reader. I had to pause so many times to catch up, but stopping and starting really takes me out of story. I'm gonna give it another try because it's a entertaining story and the visuals are pretty kick ass. Also I love the ED. The beat is so sick..LOVE IT.
Apr 23, 2010 6:31 PM

Nov 2006
I'm a very fast reader and I still had to pause. Pausing wasn't really annoying, but hearing someone talk so quickly for so long really gets on my nerves. Didn't really like anything I saw either. Eh, it's short. I'll finish it I guess.
Apr 23, 2010 7:11 PM

Aug 2008
I didn't like it much... I can't really pinpoint what I didn't like though (besides the fast talking, of course). I could read the subs easily enough, but it just doesn't sink in when you read them that fast...

OP - first minute is quite bad, last 30 seconds is really nice and catchy.
ED - nothing special.
Apr 23, 2010 7:16 PM

Jul 2007
Cenedess said:
Hoo boy, my brain is overloaded xD Keeping up with this when your native language isn't English = not easy.

Word. I had a hard time keeping up with that speedy narration, geez.

It had its funny moments though I'm not fond of the artwork. It's a weird anime and I'm used to weird because I've watched all the anime Kenji Nakamura directed. It kinda has a Kenji touch to it but I'm not sure if that will convince me.

I currently don't know what to make of this series but I'll give it a chance for a couple more episodes.

The ending sounded like a possible opening for Kuchu Buranko XD
Apr 23, 2010 7:28 PM

Dec 2008
Fukiri said:
It had its funny moments though I'm not fond of the artwork. It's a weird anime and I'm used to weird because I've watched all the anime Kenji Nakamura directed. It kinda has a Kenji touch to it but I'm not sure if that will convince me.

I like Kenji Nakamura, especially for Mononoke, but his directorial debut was the Bakeneko arc of Ayakashi, which was released late in 2006, a couple of years after Yuasa directed Cat Soup and Mind Game, and about a year after Kemonozume — and Yuasa had built a career during the '90s as a key animator and such, long before Nakamura ever got his start. So I think you might want to look into those I mentioned, as well as Kaiba.
Apr 23, 2010 7:40 PM
Feb 2010
Okay, I bloody love the animation, OP, ED, but what's really going on? Not that I couldn't keep up with subs but what was actually going on in this? If it's just an intro for the other eps, fine, but it was a little bit confusing. What I gathered, but I might be wrong, is a guy goes to college, he joins a tennis club, he wants to make everyone unhappy so he teams up with a demon faced kid to ruin peoples relationships, something about fireworks, some girl, matchmaking, jumping off a bridge, okay please tell me what is the story in this?
Apr 23, 2010 7:50 PM

Dec 2008
animechap said:
Okay, I bloody love the animation, OP, ED, but what's really going on? Not that I couldn't keep up with subs but what was actually going on in this? If it's just an intro for the other eps, fine, but it was a little bit confusing. What I gathered, but I might be wrong, is a guy goes to college, he joins a tennis club, he wants to make everyone unhappy so he teams up with a demon faced kid to ruin peoples relationships, something about fireworks, some girl, matchmaking, jumping off a bridge, okay please tell me what is the story in this?

You're thinking about it too hard. Relax and wait for more.
Apr 23, 2010 7:52 PM
Feb 2010
antitype said:
animechap said:

You're thinking about it too hard. Relax and wait for more.

That's a good idea. The next eps better explain it.
Apr 23, 2010 7:56 PM

Jul 2007
antitype said:

I like Kenji Nakamura, especially for Mononoke, but his directorial debut was the Bakeneko arc of Ayakashi, which was released late in 2006, a couple of years after Yuasa directed Cat Soup and Mind Game, and about a year after Kemonozume — and Yuasa had built a career during the '90s as a key animator and such, long before Nakamura ever got his start. So I think you might want to look into those I mentioned, as well as Kaiba.

I have heard about Cat Soup though I didn't get to watch it yet, but I'll put it on my watch list along with the other two you mentioned. By looking at the image of Mind Game it automatically reminded me of Kuchu Buranko. I guess Nakamura might have gotten his inspiration from Yuasa.

In what concerns of Mononoke, I did find the original Bakeneko chapter (in Ayakashi) the best in comparison with the arcs in Mononoke.
I can't really say anything about Yuasa since I don't have the knowledge to, but I admire Nakamura not only because he has a different concept of artwork but also because he can create eccentric, original characters, I haven't really seen any characters like Kusuriuri or Irabu for that matter. The latter being the weirdest and the funniest. I wish I could see more of Nakamura. (A second season of KB would be much appreciated.)

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations! ; )
Apr 23, 2010 8:02 PM
Feb 2010
Fukiri said:
I have heard about Cat Soup though I didn't get to watch it yet, but I'll put it on my watch list

You will watch it and love it. Anybody who doesn't like it....

It's just awesome >:D
Apr 23, 2010 8:21 PM

Dec 2008
Fukiri said:
I can't really say anything about Yuasa since I don't have the knowledge to, but I admire Nakamura not only because he has a different concept of artwork but also because he can create eccentric, original characters, I haven't really seen any characters like Kusuriuri or Irabu for that matter. The latter being the weirdest and the funniest. I wish I could see more of Nakamura. (A second season of KB would be much appreciated.)

I definitely agree on Kusuriuri being a great character — he's certainly one of my favorites. Absolutely charismatic, and his sense of playful sarcasm is brilliant. And it goes without saying that its visual style is unparalleled... I've never seen that kind of ukiyo-e inspired imagery animated so beautifully. On that note, you'll certainly enjoy Cat Soup, Mind Game, and Kaiba. My personal favorite is still Kemonozume, as much as I love all of those. I think Yuasa is the best of these weirdo postmodern superflat anime directors currently working, but Nakamura might be a close second. Hiroyuki Imaishi (FLCL, Dead Leaves, TTGL, etc.) is also not to be overlooked. If only Anno would do something other than rehash Evangelion...
Apr 23, 2010 11:21 PM

Sep 2008
taterhead said:
.....I tried. I really did.
I think I'll just wait for PT-BR subs, if someone here will have courage. Damn.

*cough*otaku*cough*center*cough**cough
*cough* *cough*
eyerokApr 23, 2010 11:24 PM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Apr 24, 2010 12:35 AM

Jul 2008
Amongst the veryfastwordsandsubsreading while at the ramen tent at the beginning "Watashi" mentioned that there was a rumor that this particular tent "served soup made by cats"... or was it "served soup made out of cats"?

Hmm... Cat Soup, anyone? xD

Great unique anime, one of the best lof the season for sure!
Apr 24, 2010 12:36 AM

Sep 2008
Well, the least I can say is that I had to pay attention to the whole episode at least.
Hearing AKFG for the first time in a long time is great too.
Hopefully it becomes great.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 24, 2010 2:38 AM

Sep 2008
Agreed it is indeed fast to catch up with the subs for almost half of the Ep.

Quite a few signs too.
For a moment I thought it was SHAFT that produce not MAD House.
Then I remembered.
• † Trevor Asuka Shinn † •
Apr 24, 2010 2:40 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Best first episode of this season. I hope this stays as awesome as I think it is currently. I like the art style, and definitely have to re-watch this to understand the dialogue better. The ED is wonderful!!
p r o f i l e 👀
Apr 24, 2010 5:24 AM

Dec 2007
My head is full of fuck! I don't know what's going with this series and I absolutely love it.

10/10 for now.
Apr 24, 2010 5:35 AM

Jun 2009
Ahasuerus said:
Amongst the veryfastwordsandsubsreading while at the ramen tent at the beginning "Watashi" mentioned that there was a rumor that this particular tent "served soup made by cats"... or was it "served soup made out of cats"?

Hmm... Cat Soup, anyone? xD

I also wondered if Yuasa had taken that inspiration from the Yojouhan novel back then.
The novel was released 2005 and the first Tankoubon of the Cat Soup (which is originally called Neko Ramen by the way) was released 2006...who knows maybe they liked Morimi's pun and quoted it with their anime.
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
Apr 24, 2010 9:49 AM
Apr 2010
As someone who reads exceedingly fast, the subs weren't an issue for me at all. That being said, this show was great. It was funny, visually appealing, and had excellent music.

My only issues with it is that it was really dense. Like, yes, I could understand the dialog and plot, but it was still a ton of information to take in. Sure, that is the style they are looking for, but with such fast pacing how will the series play out?

All in all, great show, great season, I'll be watching this with House of Five Leaves, Angel Beats, B Gata H Kei, Mayoi Neko Overrun, Senkou no Night Raid, and Arakawa under the Bridge.
Apr 24, 2010 10:57 AM

Mar 2009
Well I'm confused. Ah well, I'll keep watching anyways.
Apr 24, 2010 11:02 AM

Dec 2008
seizonsha said:
I also wondered if Yuasa had taken that inspiration from the Yojouhan novel back then.
The novel was released 2005 and the first Tankoubon of the Cat Soup (which is originally called Neko Ramen by the way) was released 2006...who knows maybe they liked Morimi's pun and quoted it with their anime.

Except Yuasa's Cat Soup OVA was released back in 2001, as a spinoff of Nekojiru Gekijou (Cat Soup Theater) from 1999.
Apr 24, 2010 11:10 AM

Jun 2009
antitype said:

Except Yuasa's Cat Soup OVA was released back in 2001, as a spinoff of Nekojiru Gekijou (Cat Soup Theater) from 1999.

Is it that old already? Man...I'm getting old, too.
I only had the release of the 4-koma in my head...

Okay then maybe it's the other way around, who knows.
Both people seem like they would get along based on their strange ideas XD

私が、探偵だからよ。
Apr 24, 2010 1:12 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
That was quite exhausting.

But the ED sounds great.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 24, 2010 10:08 PM

Jul 2009
were they really talking that fast? i was able to keep up with the subs, but there was a ton of information lol, i should have read the novel.....
Apr 24, 2010 10:48 PM

Sep 2009
No. Just no. I watched 5 minutes of this, and then immediately dropped it. I'm not usually one to drop something that fast based on presentation, but seriously, the artwork i'll live with, but the speed-talking is just stupid and annoying.
Apr 25, 2010 5:09 AM
Jun 2008
very nice.It like he is teasing his own life.The jokes are superb ^^.
I like how he describe that his dmon friend LOL Tease him more !!!
What a stupid tennis club,are they even serious playing tennis or they are just showing of their girlfriend to Watashi.
He describe as he is reaper cutting the red line of love bond that is LOL and .....Man he need a girlfriend.
that fortune-telling tease him so much and he is happy about it?? Is he a Masochist?
Watashi and the demon really nice friend.Till the deep sea....
Hah "Don't worry,the world is round,one day we sure will meet it,I can find it for you also.." 0.0

In the end i think he is quite regret .regret having the girlfriend?He is even thinking if choosing the different way, it can give him a better future...LOL....shouldn't he just blame his demon friend....I am very curious why his demon friend made so many people chasing over him.

the Anime describe the situation very nice and clear(as if i am reading Novel).He even describe the possible affect of the outcome which is even irrelevant or illogical.......Anyway...I rewind the show quite alot since may Japanese language is a bit suck,but still this Anime has potential as a good comedy.
The best picture
MorningGloryApr 25, 2010 5:13 AM
Apr 25, 2010 1:28 PM

Dec 2009
seizonsha said:
7Th said:

Wait, so it really is some sort of Groundhog Day kinda thing? I mean, the plot.

It's not really Groundhog Day...but telling more about that would spoil the fun (if they go for the same structure as the novel). So let's just say it's similar, but not.
I see what you mean.... besides the ending, the main character is a bit of an ass. Looks funny.
Apr 25, 2010 4:30 PM
Jun 2008
After asking uncle Wiki...I think this gonna be only 4 episode.
MorningGloryApr 25, 2010 4:52 PM
Apr 25, 2010 5:30 PM

Apr 2010
That was confusing
But I liked it
I'll watch it again
The animation was rather good though
Apr 26, 2010 2:07 AM
Jun 2008
namelessfairy said:
It's going to be eleven episodes long. At least, according to MAL.
Uncle Wiki might be wrong also.but i am sure that there are 4 possible outcome.If this is the first,then there are 3 more? 0.0
...my speculation might be wrong...
Apr 26, 2010 5:38 AM

Nov 2008
WTF?
They talked so fast that in some point I almost fell a sleep!
I berly understood what was goin on, or what was the pepole name's!

I guss I'm just not ready to this show (or will ever be ready...)

What are you looking at?
Apr 26, 2010 6:05 AM

May 2008
Loved the first episode, really unusual artwork and animation but I really like it.
Apr 26, 2010 8:36 AM

Jun 2009
MorningGlory said:
namelessfairy said:
It's going to be eleven episodes long. At least, according to MAL.
Uncle Wiki might be wrong also.but i am sure that there are 4 possible outcome.If this is the first,then there are 3 more? 0.0
...my speculation might be wrong...

The novel is divided into 4 chapters, as you described. They are called:
四畳半恋ノ邪魔者 - The Intruders on Love on 4.5 Tatami Mats
四畳半自虐的代理代理戦争 - The 4.5 Tatami Mats Masochistic Proxy Proxy War
四畳半の甘い生活 - The Sweet Life on 4.5 Tatami Mats
八十日間四畳半一周 - The 80 Days 4.5 Tatami Mats Cycle

The 11 episodes seem appropriate, as some chapters will take a little more time than others. The first episode was not directly adapted from the novel, but was some kind of a 'very bad end' chapter. The tennis circle was also not included in the novel, there is (respectively) movie circle, becoming a disciple of Higuchi, softball circle and secret society.
I think they chose to make the first episode like this to give the viewer an idea what is ahead of them. But of course nobody except Madhouse themselves know so far IF they are going to follow the novel that closely.

私が、探偵だからよ。
Apr 26, 2010 11:32 AM

Nov 2008
Absolutely stunning, really the animation is top notch here.
Very hard to follow because of the fast paced dialogue and speech but I enjoyed this episode nonethless.
I was expecting something weird and creepy but it looks more like a light hearted school comedy romance for the moment.
Apr 26, 2010 11:40 AM

Apr 2010
What was it about did anyone know?
Apr 26, 2010 11:41 AM

Dec 2008
A lonely cockblocker in college.
Apr 26, 2010 11:47 AM

Apr 2010
antitype said:
A lonely cockblocker in college.

wut?
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

garfield15 - Jun 10, 2010

92 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Apr 12, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

controlmajortom - May 6, 2010

127 by blinddig »»
Apr 10, 2:32 AM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - May 27, 2010

151 by MalcomHater »»
Mar 23, 3:01 PM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

born2badored - May 13, 2010

91 by haydnwright »»
Feb 1, 3:22 AM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

dbaranyi - Jun 24, 2010

133 by DgenxZ »»
Oct 21, 2023 5:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.