Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 20, 2010 2:19 PM

Sep 2007
A place to talk about any anime you are currently watching or have watched. Share your feelings and tell us why you either liked it or didn't like it.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 21, 2010 12:30 AM
Apr 2010
As you can see from my list I am watching quite a few animes at the moment. But maybe a lot of them should be "on hold" because I haven't got all the ep's.

I am really enjoying "Witchblade" and also Wataru (recommend the OAVs because the TV series are a bit repetitive). I really love Gonzo stuff and I can't wait to buy Shangri-La^^
Apr 2, 2012 11:09 AM

Sep 2007
Currently watching a few things:

~I'm re-watching Sailor Moon R in Japanese and I have to say, I like it more in Japanese. There is something almost charming about the silliness of Usagi's voice and actions. That said, I still prefer manga Usagi. :P

~ Motto! Ojamajo Doremi - I'm a big fan of maho shoujo and this anime is actually pretty good. There are some things that bother me from time to time (certain gender binaries), but it is very charming and has a lot of heart. I like how the show focuses on everyday mundane relationships and how these are important. I also like how even the "bad" characters get a sympathetic backstory. Recommend to anyone into maho shoujo. :)

~ Toradora - I was recommended this one and so far I am enjoying it. I like how the characters are more than meets the eye and their characteristics seem to be the result of stuff that has happened to them, rather than just being the tsundere for the sake of being a tsundere or being ms.sunshine for the sake of the appeal of those happy go-lucky characters. I really like the main male lead. I think out of all the characters, he is the one that smashes through stereotypes most (the girls still have a ways to go, but perhaps the show will resolve that before it finishes). Him cooking, cleaning, and sowing stand out the most, but I think what makes him great is that he's a well rounded character. He has his selfish moments, but he also is a very kind guy. Sometimes too kind even. There were a few moments I wish he would have reacted more angrily. Still, like I said, he breaks down stereotypes fairly well and I enjoy him for that reason. :)

Also I recently finished watching Kannagi. It's ok. It had it's funny moments, but ultimately it is ruined by trying to appeal to the otaku crowd with too much silly fan service. Also, I did not like how Nagi basically quit her job because Jin was jealous. So much double standard bull shit right there. Oh and the ending, I did not like how much saving he did. She was basically moping around (avoiding spoilers here) and he went on his white horse and told her, that it's ok and he believes she is who she is. Not cool show, not cool. A goddess needing to be saved by a teenaged boy? No thank you.
Apr 14, 2012 2:45 AM

Mar 2009
Currently I'm re-watching Angel Links- I wanted to suggest Maifon(Sp) Ri to the list but thought I should re-watch that first. I really think she should be added but wanted to be sure.
Also, I'm watching Princess TuTu since she's the girl of the month- Can't really say what I think about it though- I like her, but as a whole, the anime feels like Revolutionary girl Utena, which hit me as strange... though I liked Utena a bit.
Apr 14, 2012 9:38 AM

Sep 2007
windeen-windy said:

Also, I'm watching Princess TuTu since she's the girl of the month- Can't really say what I think about it though- I like her, but as a whole, the anime feels like Revolutionary girl Utena, which hit me as strange... though I liked Utena a bit.

Haha, yeah it's been called Utena Lite. Also Ahiru starts out kind of silly (unlike Utena who starts out strong and noble from the beginning), but her growth is great and she really earns her place as one of the best example when you see the ending. It was just so beautiful. Also the message at the end, so beautiful as well. I can't stop gushing about this show because it made such an impression on me.
May 16, 2012 10:35 PM

Mar 2009
I had been told that the ending of TUTU was sad.... but I don't think it was at all. Duck seemed quite happy. As did Fakir- as they were my favorite characters I thought it was a good ending.
If Fakir got strong enough with his powers he might have even been able to give her a human form again.
May 18, 2012 12:03 PM

Sep 2007
windeen-windy said:
I had been told that the ending of TUTU was sad.... but I don't think it was at all. Duck seemed quite happy. As did Fakir- as they were my favorite characters I thought it was a good ending.
If Fakir got strong enough with his powers he might have even been able to give her a human form again.

I'd personally say it's more bittersweet than either sad or happy. Bittersweet because yeah Ahiru and Fakir stay together at the end, but she's a duck and he's a human. So not fully sad but not fully happy either. As for his powers, my interpretation is that they will never be powerful enough to permanently make her human (especially since the ending message was to have courage to be who you really are and Ahiru is a duck, so I see the ending implying that she will never be human again). This is of course just what I think and I personally think the bittersweet ending works the best for the show since it's more realistic and plays more into the themes of the show. :)
Jul 10, 2012 9:43 PM

Mar 2009
I've started watching Simoun. Lots of female characters (they live on a single gender planet where you can choose your gender at age 17 after all), and their flying machines are powered by girls kissing. You'd think this series would have a lot of fanservice, but the fact that they need to kiss to power the machines is kinda just "matter of fact", not too much fanfare over it. It's oddly devoid of fanservice, no one seems to have jiggle physics either.
But it actually has a lot of really good female characters. Clearly being female is nothing special in their world and I hate it when females characters are written to be like "Holy crap! A female! Look at her act girly over stuff!", they remember that they're humans first (or whatever they might be seeing how it starts as single gender planet, but you know what I mean) and have human problems that are not unique to being female.
So yeah, people who want interesting and (6 eps in) well written female characters should give this show a try. It's a sub only set, but you can get it for less than $20 now anywhere online (it got a cheaper version re-release)
Jul 22, 2012 1:44 PM

Sep 2007
FallnKnightFakir said:
I've started watching Simoun. Lots of female characters (they live on a single gender planet where you can choose your gender at age 17 after all), and their flying machines are powered by girls kissing. You'd think this series would have a lot of fanservice, but the fact that they need to kiss to power the machines is kinda just "matter of fact", not too much fanfare over it. It's oddly devoid of fanservice, no one seems to have jiggle physics either.

Huh, that's a curious choice. If it's not for fan service, that makes me wonder if this is going to have actual significance later on. I mean, that a rather odd and kind of silly way to power machines. If it doesn't have any significance, why would the director(s) pick such an obviously silly method to power machines. Using body energy would make much more sense and I could actually suspend my disbelief if that were the case, but a kiss? I really really hope they have something planned for this. Definitely need to watch the anime first to see how it's executed though.

edit: Just searched the anime and noticed it is also a manga. Upon looking up the manga page, it became immediately obviously why the machines are kiss powered. The manga runs in a Yuri anthology. The manga is also tagged as shoujo ai. This doesn't change my decision to watch it as I don't mind girl and boy love, but I will now take the plot was a spoon of salt. xD

FallnKnightFakir said:
But it actually has a lot of really good female characters. Clearly being female is nothing special in their world and I hate it when females characters are written to be like "Holy crap! A female! Look at her act girly over stuff!", they remember that they're humans first (or whatever they might be seeing how it starts as single gender planet, but you know what I mean) and have human problems that are not unique to being female.

I completely know what you are talking about and this bugs me to no end (especially in shounen anime/manga where there is usually only one girl who is a main character and she has all the typical girly traits and the show makes sure you know it by constantly emphasizing that SHE IS A GIRL. I can forgive it more in shoujo series because there are usually a lot of female characters with different personalities and not all of them are like that, but it definitely bugs me when the most prominent female characters must constantly shove in your face that they are women because they do all the proper feminine things.

Like I said on the front page, I will check this anime out. It definitely sounds interesting and I want to see what the directors were going for with the kiss powered machinery.
soaring_wingsJul 22, 2012 1:54 PM
Jul 22, 2012 3:05 PM

Mar 2009
Frankly having finished the series, I still don't know what they were going for with the kiss powered vehicles, except to make it so that the machines required two pilots. I really have no clue, but getting along does help the machine fly better, so a relationship is needed, but the kisses? No clue.
Aug 18, 2012 3:24 AM

Sep 2007
I noticed all the episodes of Hime-chan no Ribbon have finally been uploaded, so I'm watching that now. I decided to rewatch the first 15 episodes too because it's been so long. It's just as cute and charming as I remember and Hime and Daichi are quickly becoming one of my favourite anime couples. I wish more couples were done like them. Both are so mischievous and spunky, yet both are also very sensitive. I'm so happy I tried looking if the episodes were back up. I can't want to marathon all 61 episodes in a matter of days. xD

I''ve also been watching One Piece on and off again. It's probably going to be off now that I'm obsessed with Hime-chan. I just made it to the end of Thriller Bark recently. I do like the anime quite a bit, but I really hate how dragged out it is compared to the manga. I'd prefer more filler than being forced to watch as the anime does 10 minutes of Nami/Ussop/Chopper running around/away whereas in the manga that was just a few panels. ;__; The next arc looks even slower too...
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Additions to the Relations ( 1 2 3 )

soaring_wings - Sep 22, 2009

134 by RachelPanda »»
Mar 1, 2014 8:44 AM

» What are you reading?

soaring_wings - Apr 20, 2010

8 by soaring_wings »»
Sep 13, 2012 2:57 PM

» Heroine of the Month: Yuri (February)

soaring_wings - Feb 1, 2010

5 by soaring_wings »»
May 9, 2012 12:34 PM

» Noble Heroines in Other Forms of Media

soaring_wings - Jan 30, 2010

48 by soaring_wings »»
Apr 14, 2012 9:28 AM

Sticky: » The Boot

soaring_wings - Aug 11, 2009

7 by soaring_wings »»
Dec 12, 2010 9:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.