Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 18, 2010 12:37 AM

Sep 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Overall an ok movie. I think I would have liked it more if I was someone who had watched it closer to when it came out. This movie really feels like it can use a remake. One of the things keeping me from loving this movie is that things don't feel serious enough in some scenes after the drop of the bomb...or it just feels like the characters should be devastated for a longer period of time...(kinda hard to explain)

Personally...it was so upsetting seeing Eiko (The cutest girl in the movie to me) falling victim to the bomb....but obviously messed up things happen in this sort of situation.
Apr 21, 2010 2:20 AM
Mar 2010
I watched this anime once when I was a kid 7-8 years old in 1994 and now I am 23 and I still remember it clearly. My opinion is that this anime gives the best possible overview of the atrocities of war and makes one wish that such things never happen again. This episode is modern history is not discussed as much as the holocaust, how is it in any way more humane? Probably because the phrase - "history is written by the victorious" fully describes the way of things.
Jul 6, 2010 1:08 AM

Feb 2009
I've heard of how powerful this movie was, still I didn't expect it to be so graphic... I was kinda shocked... from the drop of the bomb to the ending it was mixed bag of emotions.
VeethornJul 6, 2010 1:22 AM
Dec 18, 2010 1:06 AM

Feb 2010
I found this movie disrespectful. The silliness, overacting, even the horrors ... everything about this film felt over-the-top and exaggerated. I read comments on how the first half of the film provided contrast for the darker second half. I simply found it inconsistent. Regarding horrors, the scene with Gen's family crushed by pillars seemed cliche and out of place. Is this an autobiographical work or shameless display to evoke disgust?

The subject matter is important. And yes, the bombing and aftermath scenes were genuinely shocking. However, I don't feel the story was told well. Watch Grave of the Fireflies for a "civilian" story told with grace and respect.
Dec 19, 2010 9:09 PM

Apr 2009
I cried like a little baby.
Feb 19, 2011 6:51 PM

Aug 2009
It was ok and all, but Gen was acting completely the same both before and after the bomb fell :P His voice actor was kind of annoying aswell, made it all more silly than actually sad.

Jun 4, 2012 11:31 AM

Apr 2012
Wow, just wow. That made Grave of the Fireflies look like crap. I almost feel guilty for rating something so brutal so high, but wow that was intense.

The only complaint I can really give though is the acting. That was way too upbeat for what was going on.

As for the animation, even though its out of date I can still greatly enjoy the visuals involved. Plus its nice to see an anime that doesn't have bright over-the-top hair for once.
Jun 18, 2012 10:34 AM
Dec 2009
Very touching. I gave nine and I haven't cried so badly since Princess Mononoke. I've had a great time watching this but I need to say that seiyuu for Gen wasn't the best one. All the rest was amazing.
Sep 8, 2012 9:12 PM

Apr 2012
the moment of bomb-dropping was truly horrific.

Grave of the Fireflies affected me more emotionally but this works on different levels. I guess this is more unrelenting too: you're focused more on new horrors than being lulled into moments of brief calm, even if the characters still have childlike spirit.

clicking "5 out of 5: Loved it!" feels ickily inappropriate but that's what it deserves

ps anyone wanting to watch something similar in live action should check out Threads, it's a BBC film from the 80s hypothesising about large-scale nuclear war and the aftermath, it's pretty damn grim
BlackoutingSep 8, 2012 9:26 PM
Jul 6, 2013 9:34 PM

Mar 2011
I didn't expect the bombing scene to be so graphic. It made be speechless for a moment.

Overall a pretty good movie. However, as people have said before, some of the scenes felt unrealistic due to characters poor acting and mood shifting.
Sep 11, 2013 3:24 PM

Apr 2013
I wish it had followed the manga, the factthat it strayed so far from it is what I disliked. I wish Barefoot Gen had gotten a series instead, it would have the time to follow the manga series (which I loved).
Feb 19, 2014 10:35 AM

May 2010
Pretty good movie but just what OP said, it could use a remake. The voice acting made me cringed. It didn't capture the mood right.. but, the horror is there.
GamatokiFeb 19, 2014 10:38 AM

Feb 25, 2014 2:09 PM

Oct 2013
This was an amazing movie.So sad :'(

Apr 26, 2014 6:16 PM

Apr 2014
Omg,I watched this when I was like 7 years and still can remember that scene when all goes mute and the bomb falls D:
Dec 15, 2014 12:56 AM

Jul 2012
This one is more dramatic than "Hotaru no Haka" :(

Aug 10, 2015 3:46 AM
Dec 2014
odin1x said:
I watched this anime once when I was a kid 7-8 years old in 1994 and now I am 23 and I still remember it clearly. My opinion is that this anime gives the best possible overview of the atrocities of war and makes one wish that such things never happen again. This episode is modern history is not discussed as much as the holocaust, how is it in any way more humane? Probably because the phrase - "history is written by the victorious" fully describes the way of things.

The Jews and Gypsies killed in the gas chambers didn't start a war.

And as mentioned in the movie the Japanese people were already starving. The US could have let the Japanese starve to death but they wanted a swift conclusion to the war.
May 11, 2016 2:23 AM

Mar 2016
The voice actors ruined this for me, they had one level annoying yelling with lack of emotion besides really annoying crying signifying they were sad and at times the characters turned into snoopy.

I can't help but compare this to Gave of the Fireflies and this just doesn't do as good of a job showing how terrible the war was, even with the zombies and abundance of death shown. Which could have really been impactful but ended up coming off tacky to me.

Granted it's not a terrible movie, but I didn't really enjoy myself either. No emotional connection and was glad it was over when it ended.
May 17, 2016 3:09 PM

May 2012
that was depressing...
Sep 5, 2016 12:53 AM

Dec 2014
Would have been a lot more impactful if it had good voice actors. I also didn't like how literally everything goes to shit and Gen just gets up perfectly fine and is like, whoa dead bodies everywhere. But the part were they were trapped under the roof, that part got to me a little.

6/10
Aug 9, 2017 12:55 PM

May 2015
Trgic story. It's hard to even rate this movie, but for me it was only 5/10 in the matter of story.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 14, 2018 1:43 PM
Jul 2018
I hate how Shinji was basically replaced. It makes his life -- and death -- seem meaningless.
Also, Gen was far too chipper as he saw the skulls of his dead family.

If this movie was remade with Gen remembering and mourning the death of his father, sister, and beloved little brother more, I think it would be a masterpiece.
As it is, though, it kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. The first half of the movie showing the love between family members was beautiful. The second half started strong, in that Gen "became a man" and provided for his mother and newborn sister, but again, the lack of mourning makes the death of his family meaningless, and I hate that.

EDIT: The ending actually fixed the problem I had with not remembering his family; the sailboat for Shinji was wonderful. (Poor Eiko barely gets a mention though, but I'm sure his mother was thinking of her a lot). It's sad that Tomoko died -- and Tomoko's life was exchanged for Gen's hair? I don't know if this just doesn't translate well between cultures or what, but that's a pretty terrible trade. I'd trade my hair for my little sister any day.
If the new little brother didn't look like Shinji, I think it would have been better as then he wouldn't have felt like a replacement for Shinji. But still, I'm just happy that the ending was a memorial for Shinji.
removed-userJan 14, 2018 2:01 PM
Apr 1, 2018 6:39 AM

Jul 2015
That was very, very sad. Wow.
Be strong like wheat, boys.
Dec 15, 2018 2:29 PM

Oct 2015
Such an emotional and a bit funny anime movie.

It's sad what happened to Gen's family especially Tomoko, I really wanted that baby to survive and grow from the harsh world. But I'm glad Gen and his mother found a family in Ryuta. It looks like everything will growing now even Gen's hair, which wasn't cured by the way.

War between Japan and The US was really bad, moreover when the Americans threw that Atomic. I always wanted an anime that addressed that crisis and it was bad as I've read in history books, poor innocent Japanese civilians for being caught up. More than 100000 causalities wasn't a joke, may their souls rest in peace.

9/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 13, 2019 6:28 AM

May 2016
I remember watching the Grave of the Fireflies and got pretty emotional with it overall because of the hardships the characters had to go through to survive the aftermath of the atomic bomb and this movie had made me even more emotional in many different ways despite the mediocre voice acting of Gen and the other kids making it pretty hammy at points. I didn't shed a tear because I couldn't. My heart pained and my stomach dropped instead and I started to feel so many complex emotions of grief towards the innocent victims of war. They depicted it so directly and brutally as it was that I'm sure that Madhouse really didn't hold back in adapting this.

It's super tragic that whenever happy things are shown that make me feel hopeful about things, a giant tragedy befalls them afterwards. I've grown so attached to the Nakaoka family in such a short time that seeing three of them getting crushed and incinerated devastated me and despite how happy they've made that artist, Tomoko still died in the end. Gen might've even developed cancer from the fallout but like the straws of wheat, they mustn't let anything hold them back no matter what. I hope they survive until the end...

Oct 2, 2019 8:39 PM

Apr 2012
The grave of fireflies is still my favorite, although this film also made a big impression on me. Especially when I consider that the author survived all this himself. My only complaint was about 80-ish comedic inserts, they seemed too inappropriately ridiculous in 2019.
Apr 16, 2020 10:59 PM

Jul 2017
This is the great anime based on real person experience during WWII
G
May 16, 2020 4:07 PM

Jun 2014
Man, some scenes were really gritty... I didn't expect that. The voice acting was awful.
Rely on nothing under heaven
May 18, 2020 4:28 AM

Apr 2020
That bombing scene was one of the most chilling scenes I've seen in anime. I had to pause the movie to regulate my breathing and shake off my arms and legs. My heart goes out to all the victims of bombs and wars.
May 24, 2020 7:24 PM

Jun 2016
I saw In This Corner of the World,Grave of Fireflies and now this one. This one give some good information. The only bad thing about it was the terrible VA indeed. 7.5/8/10 nonetheless.
Sep 10, 2020 6:21 PM

Feb 2017
Important film, should be seen by everyone.

Sep 29, 2020 11:47 AM

Jan 2010
I think the most horrific thing about this anime is how it turns humans into things unrecognizable. They're just...things. I've seen other anime, not limited to WWII, where the horrors of war were portrayed, but Barefoot Gen is just...I'm not sure what to say. Physical horror and emotional horror go hand in hand, but Barefoot Gen goes out of its way to show, uncensored, the physical horrors of war to an unrelenting extent. It's a reality that's hard to face, but it's our past as humanity. Once again, it's always the civilians that suffer the worst.

That being said, the ending surprised me. It's not just a message of the horrors of war, the suffering of people, the conceit of those in power, or even the human drama of the characters in the film. It's also about finding a way to move forward. Barefoot Gen somehow manages to be both depressing and uplifting. I have no idea how the film managed to do it, but it worked.
Jul 16, 2021 3:18 AM

Feb 2020
well, that was hard to watch, really gruesome scene. they even killed the baby girl by the end
anyways I prefer dub over sub for this film.
AdampkJul 16, 2021 3:21 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Apr 19, 2022 9:19 PM
Mar 2019
Not as Heartbreaking as "Grave of the Fireflies" but it still shows the Reality of War.
We mostly ignore things like this shows, but it did happen.
The actual Bomb scene was done well for the time this was made, 1983.
Overall a Good watch.
Jun 14, 2022 12:52 PM

Nov 2016
One of the movies you won't forget

8/10

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 27, 2022 11:11 AM

Jul 2015
Bit too much comedy for my taste and also not a big fan of how Shinji was basically replaced but the bombing scene and its aftermath really showed the gruesomeness of this war. Knowing the author was a survivor makes me appreciate this more.
UnkrownedAug 27, 2022 11:15 AM

Aug 11, 2023 5:29 AM

Jul 2021
Honestly a solid movie. The atomic bomb scene was very gruesome. This is one movie i wont forget anytime soon and i wish more people watched it.

Sep 4, 2023 12:37 AM

Nov 2012
God this was a bleak movie to start my day with
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Oct 14, 2023 8:21 AM
Oct 2021
This was perhaps the most unhinged movie I’ve ever seen and that’s exactly what makes it impactful. The way Gen and his mother just replaced Shinji and were like “ok, well, I guess this is just another family member now” without flinching really drives home the levels of PTSD taking place here.

A lot of people have brought it up as a negative, but I’d say Gen’s completely unchanged attitude and persistent silliness just hammers in the sheer levels of “smile to hide/ignore the pain” going on here.

In all, a very powerful film which I would recommend to anyone interested in this particular historical topic.

*also, just a little side note, I liked this more than Grave of the Fireflies (7/10) honestly. Both are good, but this one seemed more clear with its anti-war / anti-bomb messaging.

8/10
Nov 1, 2023 8:34 PM
Nov 2023
excelente filme .
Nov 25, 2023 8:44 PM
Nov 2023
Sorry I bumped let me just say that the movie is good because it has a scene of beautiful dead mom~ https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/111801078

More topics from this board

Poll: » Barefoot Gen + Nuclear Bombs General Discussion

arimakenshin - Jan 9, 2009

13 by milktaster2 »»
Nov 25, 2023 8:53 PM

» No To Barbenheimer

JSeanaY - Jul 31, 2023

2 by JSeanaY »»
Aug 1, 2023 3:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.