Forum Settings
Forums

Manga Sales In North America Continue To Decline

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 17, 2010 11:35 PM
Dec 2009
Well, in Malaysia:
-local and korean manga that have been translated in english only cost about
$2.50
-local, japan, thai and korean manga that have been translated in Malay, cost
$1.50/ $0.99

It's very cheap! My friends sometime buy almost 5 mangas a month.

P/S: All the manga stated above is under Gempakstarz & Tora Aman company.

I agree that Viz, Tokyopop and Yen Press are very expensive.
But that's not gonna stop me from buying even more manga. Support the original!!

P/S: I'm broke now...
Apr 17, 2010 11:41 PM
Nov 2008
If you can read manga FREE on the internetz...so, why buy it? D:

I will buy manga when I know it's a good one. u_u
Apr 17, 2010 11:46 PM
Dec 2009
Well...
in 10 volumes at $10 each is $100... or $25 internet fee monthly and all the manga you can read! I still do not believe that illegal scanlations are the main reason for I read online and if i like it online and later on have the money I support by buying. I believe the reason is that this economy is WRECKED. Parents losing their jobs resulting in giving their kids less or no money, hence no buying as much manga. And like many other posts I read said PEOPLE READ on the store!!! (i find it annoying xD) But i just dont believe scanlations are the reason... ^^

Tokyopop and other manga companies rip people off! and sometimes they arent even that good ><
Apr 18, 2010 12:25 AM

May 2007
Maybe it's because 14 dollars for a black and white comic book is regoddamndiculous.

❝goodbyes are always hard, no matter how you might try to make them easier.❞

Apr 18, 2010 12:29 AM

Oct 2008
Yowane said:
Maybe it's because 14 dollars for a black and white comic book is regoddamndiculous.

Okay I have to ask, not that I'm deliberately trying to sound annoying, but did you actually read post # 69, or at the very least read page 4 of this thread, before posting your comment? I mean, really, did you? Not trying to sound mean, I swear! I'm just growing a little frusturated that everyone keeps saying the same thing and I'm just wondering what's up.
Apr 18, 2010 12:58 AM

May 2008
I feel rather disturbed at the amount of people who said: "I read online." Solely with the mindset that they will never buy manga. Which is what I sense through most of this thread.
  • If you can't buy it, then work. You can always find work if you get off your ass and do something for someone somewhere. It's all about dedication. You think my money isn't tight with how much I spend? A hobby is a hobby.
  • If you want to prevent people reading it in the store then wrap in plastic like I've seen then done with some other books. I hate to say this because I like to do a quick skim to see what's it's about, but hey more people read the whole thing than just skim.
  • As for scans, many people take it over convenience and it is a factor for people to not buy it. These scans are making the economy worse.
  • I mean the scans could be better, but that's all a matter of opinion. If you don't like the official translated version, then learn Japanese and buy the original one. Harsh as that is, there's a difference between translating and making shit up. There's also a difference in how it's translated, like keeping honorifics and whatnot. This goes for both the official and scans versions.

That's just my thoughts on the matter.
  • Apr 18, 2010 1:50 AM
    Jul 2009
    I think Manga is just too expensive..where i live its like 15$ then with taxes its like 18$ .. ._.

Also some people are too shy to actually BUY manga, like me..XD

Also, theres no way im buying the whole bleach set... thats like so much money.
    Some people go to the libary its free :D!
    Apr 18, 2010 2:38 AM

Sep 2008
    Yup said:
    I feel rather disturbed at the amount of people who said: "I read online." Solely with the mindset that they will never buy manga. Which is what I sense through most of this thread.
  • If you can't buy it, then work. You can always find work if you get off your ass and do something for someone somewhere. It's all about dedication. You think my money isn't tight with how much I spend? A hobby is a hobby.
  • If you want to prevent people reading it in the store then wrap in plastic like I've seen then done with some other books. I hate to say this because I like to do a quick skim to see what's it's about, but hey more people read the whole thing than just skim.
  • As for scans, many people take it over convenience and it is a factor for people to not buy it. These scans are making the economy worse.
  • I mean the scans could be better, but that's all a matter of opinion. If you don't like the official translated version, then learn Japanese and buy the original one. Harsh as that is, there's a difference between translating and making shit up. There's also a difference in how it's translated, like keeping honorifics and whatnot. This goes for both the official and scans versions.

That's just my thoughts on the matter.

• Lets see. Guide to reading manga through legit means.
    1. Get a Job too pay for over priced manga.
    2. Manage to enjoy the hack job translations.
    3. Give up hope on ever reading really good lesser known/ controversial manga that never gets picked up.
    4. Search like mad for out of print manga that will probably cost more.
    5. Wait forever for releases and deal with licensing bullshit and litigation.
    6. If all else fails pay for classes to learn Japanese and order online.

Fuck it, I rather just read Scanlations.
    JigeroApr 18, 2010 2:43 AM
    It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
    Apr 18, 2010 3:26 AM

Jul 2008
    Jigero covered it excellently, but I can't stop laughing at this point;

Yup said:

• Yes, in order to be a proper manga fan, I should devote several YEARS to learning a new language, and then pay outrageous sums of money for manga shipped from overseas or specialty stores.

Sounds like a GREAT business model. I can't imagine why more people don't do this.
    Apr 18, 2010 6:59 AM

May 2008
    Meh, this isn't anything new. It was already dropping in sales from online scans AGES ago.

I have some manga of my own. Even completed series. Fact of the matter is I stopped buying some simply because I don't want to keep waiting for new chapters and volumes to come out in another decade or two. That or I stopped reading the series altogether that I bought.

Another thing is, I usually read online the series I can never seem to find around here, or ones that just never get published in English. And don't start with the whole 'buy online' shit. It could cost even more that way sometimes.

Apr 18, 2010 8:07 AM
    Apr 2009
    Reading manga online makes me wanna buy the hard copies especially the ones I like. Problem is, the job growth (in the U.S. as far as I know) is awfully slow.

Oh and for anyone hating on online scanlations, bear mind that scanners have typed things like "go out and buy the hard copy to support the mangaka" or if "thanks for reading. Please buy the volumes if you liked what you read". I can't tell how you many times I've seen that.
    TerrorH3ctorApr 18, 2010 8:11 AM
    Apr 18, 2010 8:13 AM

Aug 2009
    infinite_zero said:
    With the cost of Manga in NA, not surprising.

Totally agree. The cost of manga in Sweden is about less than half of the cost in USA, and the cost of manga in Thailand is around 10 times less.
    Apr 18, 2010 8:31 AM

Mar 2009
    Its sad to see manga popularity decreasing, but there are a lot of good reasons for it. And its a tough economy right now.

And as previous stated before by a few others, I think the core of the problem is too many people not understanding what manga is, and automatically thinking that anime is supierior to it.
    Apr 18, 2010 8:34 AM

Aug 2008
    H3ctor said:
    Oh and for anyone hating on online scanlations, bear mind that scanners have typed things like "go out and buy the hard copy to support the mangaka" or if "thanks for reading. Please buy the volumes if you liked what you read". I can't tell how you many times I've seen that.

lol, yeah, because that really has an effect on things. People are either going to buy or not buy based on their own opinions and situation, not because a page in their free scans tell them so. Being exposed to the manga at least is more likely to have an effect on someone willing to spend money.
    Apr 18, 2010 8:51 AM

Jun 2008
    It's to be expected, why pay for manga when you can read them on the net? It's the same reason why "video rental stores" are slowly fading out. People would much rather order movies from home, than actually go out and rent one from a retailer.

The internet is a double edged sword really.
    Apr 18, 2010 9:03 AM

Jan 2007
    hahaha it's hilarious too see that there are people who think that scanlations are the main and probably only reason for the decline of manga sales.
    also i agree with everything Jigero said.

and btw i wonder how many manga got licensed after they 1st became popular thanks to the scanlations? (it's rhetorical question)
    ZeroApr 18, 2010 12:08 PM
    Apr 18, 2010 11:38 AM

May 2008
    I never said it was a perfect system for everyone. I'm just listing alternatives so that people can buy manga. It's better than never paying for manga and laughing at the guy who says you should support the people who make it to some extent. =.=
    Apr 18, 2010 1:35 PM

Oct 2008
    Yup said:
    I never said it was a perfect system for everyone. I'm just listing alternatives so that people can buy manga. It's better than never paying for manga and laughing at the guy who says you should support the people who make it to some extent. =.=

Personally speaking, while getting a job or learning Japanese do technically count as alternatives, that probrably serves as a separate problem. Though I won't go into much detail about that, but I will agree that it's all about finding ways to support manga sales. Which I think is another reason why there's a lack of a "collector mentality." With some fans (not all, but some), there's more of a "entitlement issue."

It's all about wanting to find the perfect translations, the perfect number of pages per volume, the perfect paper material, the perfect retail price, the perfect quality, etc., etc., etc.. The companies could pour all sorts of thought into how to release a manga title while being hyper-aware of what the fans want and the fans themselves still wouldn't be satisfied! I can sort of understand a sense of demand for good quality out of a company, but it doesn't really help to support the industry in anyway (especially if as a fan, you have every intention of giving a shit) if people are going to always point out every reason to not support the products these companies hand out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that even defeat the purpose of informing people the status of sales in the industry through these articles if fans are going to just throw a sense of entitlement and not give a shit?
    Apr 18, 2010 2:51 PM

Jul 2008
    People keep parroting the same wrong explanations, no matter how many times they're shown to be incorrect.

"The economy" doesn't make any sense, since US graphic novels (comics), which cost just as much as manga, have INCREASED their sales in the same time period that manga has declined.

"Scanlations" also can't be the reason, considering that scanlations have been widespread since at least 2005, and yet, manga sales INCREASED from 2005 to 2008. The only difference between scanlations now and 5 years ago is that more niche, relatively lesser known manga are being translated...stuff that the companies don't localize and distribute in the North American market, anyways.

Of course, I fully expect to read some variation of "the economy" or "scanlations" in the majority of posts from here on, too.
    Apr 18, 2010 6:20 PM
    Oct 2009
    BlackWings said:
    I blame fat losers for not buying manga and thinking "Oh! We can read online! Online is free!"

this is the correct answer

fatties disagree

/thread

Smile, Sweet, Sister, Sadistic, Surprise, Service, Slider
    Apr 18, 2010 6:26 PM

Nov 2008
    not surprising indeed
    Apr 18, 2010 8:08 PM
    Jan 2010
    read online what i'm okay with, read online and buy volumes of what i really like, that's what i do.
    Apr 19, 2010 1:55 AM

Aug 2007
    The existence of scanlations are not at fault here.
    I think most people will agree that reading a tankobon is much more gratifying than reading from some computer screen. and every fan will buy books for that reason.
    If anything, the scanlations will widen the fanbase.

I think the biggest problem is the pricing. The recent increase in price will lead to people investing their limited amount of spending money in other products.
    the same money can be used for books, comics, dvd's, cd's, games and a lot of other things. and with the current prices, other products are more interesting.

ofcourse the real problem will be the vicious circle. higher prices -> less buyers -> smaller prints -> less profit -> higher prices -> ...

given the young target audience the prices should be made a lot lower, to have a real manga boom. the japanese publishers are not helping either asking such high license fees.
    This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
    Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production

DatRandomDude - 11 hours ago

47 by Lucifrost »»
    2 minutes ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 2 hours ago

1 by deg »»
    26 minutes ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
    9 hours ago

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
    10 hours ago

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

23 by 3inPunisher »»
    Yesterday, 6:34 PM
    It’s time to ditch the text file.
    Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.