Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 11, 2010 5:25 AM

Apr 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow. Talk about an episode that's pure nostalgia. I never thought they would have brought back all the voice actors for the major characters (and even alot of the minor characters as well).

Overall, a typical Ranma 1/2 OVA episode, but that's crammed with fan service and homages to those familiar with the series.

Kind of makes me wish they'd finish the rest of the series now that the manga has long ago concluded. Similar with how they've done it with "Inuyasha: The Final Act".
Apr 23, 2010 10:45 AM

Jan 2008
To be perfectly honest, while I really liked this and it was original in lots of ways, I got nothing out of it. Where was the kiss, dammit?! It just feels so incomplete. Damn tease. :P

I too wish they'd finish the series like they did with Inuyasha.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Jun 2, 2010 1:48 PM

Feb 2010
it was really cool to see Ataru try to flirt with Ranma chan and Kagome. Lum shocks him, Inuyahsa shoots out crystal shards, and Ranma blasts him with an energy attack... epic

At least that was in the intro I watched.

The new art style, while I Like the upgrade in quality, the color pallet changed a bit, and maybe it's a little bit too bright.

The ep itself is more of the same really. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
I don't like the new soundtrack. I really do prefer the old music, even if they were to redo and modify it a little bit, it just doesn't fit like the old music did.

One thing I did find really cool was how they played "real" events into Akane's dreams. Made for some hilarious moments. Also loved the Inuyasha Scene with everyone defeated, but Akane. That was pretty nifty.
TasolthJun 4, 2010 4:00 AM
We will never forget those that have fallen for our freedom!
Jun 6, 2010 12:49 PM

Aug 2008
I'm about to watch it right now...*waku waku*
Jun 6, 2010 1:31 PM

Aug 2008
Ahhhhh, it's over too soon. 8/10. Animation quality was great as expected. Intro was hilarious seeing Inuyasha chasing after Lum Lum. They managed to fit every single character into so many different sketches. Forgot about the little cry baby teacher, Akane smacked her up pretty good. Even Kodachi showed up as the evil queen. Man, I can't believe how long it's been since I've seen any of Takahashi's works. Hopefully there will be more!
Apr 17, 2011 11:19 AM

Mar 2011
I want more new OVA-s like this!!!!
Apr 23, 2011 8:00 PM

Jun 2010
Deen's best job in animation. They did well in Samurai X Trust & Betrayal, too, but i wasn't expecting such improvement. But I felt like I was just teased the entire time I watched. Finish the series...dammit, finish it! I wanna see Ranma's confession animated!
"If you can't Inspire the World with Intellengence,
Baffle them with your Bullshit."
Sep 17, 2011 2:58 AM

Jan 2009
It was a great episode with some only-manga characters too, and a wonderful animation.

But who translated the title as "spring sleep"? -__-"
Jan 5, 2012 8:58 AM

Apr 2009
Watched just a half of it
The animation was brilliant, especialy the scene in the classroom when Akane kicked Kuno. But, to tell the truth, it was nearly unwatchable for me. I just couldn't stand the new graphics, imho it was horribly ugly and, what was the worst, all the time I felt like I was watching a completely different anime, it was weird. Well, guess for me an old anime should stay old. ^^
Feb 4, 2012 6:25 AM
May 2009
Liked this episode lots. Akanes latent powers are truly something to be terrified of.
Character design seemed a bit off, liked the original better, but overall art style and animation really was nice.

I want a Ranma continuation so badly :(
Mar 2, 2012 3:45 AM

Apr 2011
The animation was brilliant, especialy the scene in the classroom when Akane kicked Kuno. But, to tell the truth, it was nearly unwatchable for me. I just couldn't stand the new graphics, imho it was horribly ugly and, what was the worst, all the time I felt like I was watching a completely different anime, it was weird. Well, guess for me an old anime should stay old. ^^

I feel the same. At first, I though it was nostalgia too, but then i remember that i really liked the new Saint Seiya, the new DB and the new Hunter x Hunter, so i have to say that the characters here look bad because they're done bad, and not cause i'm atached to the old desings n_n
Jun 17, 2012 8:28 AM

May 2010
I loved the new character designs. Ukyo in particular looked really cute. Actually, I really liked everything about this. This episode really captured the feel of the whole series IMO.

The beginning got me thinking though, wouldn't it be cool to take that idea and extend it to a whole series? Just get some plot contrivance that combines the characters from Rumiko's major works together into one setting. There wouldn't even have to be a plot, because the character interactions would be amusing enough to carry the show.
“Money can't buy dere”
Dec 18, 2014 9:22 PM

Sep 2012
If the series was remade like this ova. I wouldn't mind. I actually perfer it over the actual series.
Mar 29, 2015 11:52 PM

Aug 2014
Ryoga x Ukyo
Jun 23, 2015 11:35 PM
Jun 2015
Love this Anime :) and manga more :)
Mar 14, 2017 4:38 AM

Feb 2013
Akane had lots of weird dreams.
Jun 29, 2017 6:06 AM

Jun 2009
Almost all of the voices sound very different, but male Ranma is actually unrecognizable.
Sep 19, 2017 2:48 PM

Sep 2012
The design was pretty nice, this is what a Ranma Reboot would look like. The story itself was also pretty okay.
However, after having not watched the series for a long time, sadly I recognize now it's errors. Despite having so many episodes and adventures, Ranma still doesn't want to get closer with Akane. Rumiko failed at creating a satisfying ending for the Manga but also failed at using this opportunity to teach us about genders. What does Ranma being a female change in his mind? Rumiko only used the gender-bender as comedic purpose, but not to answer the questions, that actually matter.
"If you ask yourself what would happen if female Ranma got pregnant, you should feel bad for asking such inappropriate things" - Rumiko Takahashi
valoonNov 19, 2017 3:56 PM
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Nov 19, 2017 12:08 PM

Jul 2014
valoon said:
"If you ask yourself what would happen if female Ranma got pregnant, you should feel bad for asking such inappropriate things" - Rumiko Takahashi
Wait? What? How is this inappropriate?
I won't say it was the first question about Ranma I had, but it popped into my head somewhere in the middle of the original series.

Does he only looks like female or is he a female?
If he is a female can he become pregnant?
if he can then can he turn back to male afterwards?

And based on that quote I'm not the only one who have thought about it. I would love to know the answer to at least the first question.
Jan 13, 2018 1:54 PM

Dec 2016
Looking this felt weird. Even though it was fun, it never made me feel like watching the Ranma 1/2 I always knew.
Jun 12, 2021 1:47 PM

Dec 2010
So this is the last ever Ranma animation, and the only digital one, huh. Going into this I didn't expect much due to the change to digital animation but it was surprisingly well done. Of course I still prefer the cel look over this but it was interesting to see how Ranma would look in digital.

It was a bit sad to see the voice actor changes for Kunou and his father due to the death of the actors. They had very unique voices...
The other returning voice actors all did a very good job in voicing their characters, only the voice of Tendou Souun was noticeably different.

All in all, a very good little OVA.
Aug 8, 2021 7:54 AM

Apr 2013
A surprisingly good OVA, even though the fanservice part was great but a bit too short. The art and animation were quite nice and the story was also very enjoyable. And this concludes me watching all available Ranma episodes, took me about 2.5 months I think haha.
Sep 27, 2021 1:55 PM
Nov 2019
SurfaceoftheMoon said:
Deen's best job in animation. They did well in Samurai X Trust & Betrayal, too, but i wasn't expecting such improvement. But I felt like I was just teased the entire time I watched. Finish the series...dammit, finish it! I wanna see Ranma's confession animated!

I know this is unrelated… but this person hasn’t been online on this platform since 2011…. Their birthday is 1997 so they would of Been 14 when they Last logged in

It’s very odd though I mean it’s been 10 years so did they unexpectedly pass away
Or did they lose their password and make a new account ??

Maybe I am weird but it’s sad but intriguing
Jul 26, 2022 5:45 AM

Jan 2018
It's amazing how 12 years of animation improvement can do to animating fanservice. In the words of Happosai, "How sweet-o!"

Jokes aside, this was a great OVA. I didn't know Ranma 1/2 got a similar OVA treatment to Urusei Yatsura in 2008 so this was a welcome surprise.

The fact that this adapts from a manga chapter instead of being anime-original is impressive. I thought there was no way so many characters would be crammed under 30 minutes just like that since the TV series rarely did that. But it could also be the animators added a lot of things that weren't in the original manga story. The voice actors did an amazing job after 12 years.

All in all, I loved this. This OVA made me want a modern remake of Ranma 1/2 more than anything else. Hopefully, it'll get one after Urusei Yatsura 2022 wraps up sometime in 2023 (Did anyone notice the Lum cameo in this OVA?). I say a remake and not a sequel because it's already too late to continue with the original cast. Many of the cast members are deceased or too old to continue voice acting. So it's better to start over with a fresh cast like what David Production's Urusei Yatsura is doing. At least that's what I think.

Although I didn't enjoy Ranma 1/2 as much as Urusei Yatsura I'll still thank it for the memories. Time to move on to Inuyasha which I heard has a bit more serious story. One day I'll probably pick up the Ranma 1/2 manga too. But I'll always hope for a new anime adaptation. Thanks to everyone who worked on this series. Thanks to Takahashi-sense especially for creating this masterpiece. She's an OG and doesn't get as much recognition as she deserves. Hope her latest work will get anime adaptations as well.
Oct 29, 2023 8:24 PM

Nov 2010
I love that intro of Ataru flirting with everyone. That was so wacky! I could watch an entire episode with the main cast of Inuyasha, Ranma, and Urusei Yatsura just doing funny stuff to each other.

The scene of Akane serving Ryouga and Mousse as food for Ranma and then Ranma throwing it all back to Akane was very funny! Shampoo and Ukyo were very sexy during that scene. I want to screw them both!
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.