Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 10, 2010 6:16 AM

Jul 2009
I've been on quite a few Gankutsuou videos on youtube and there seems to be quite a bit of discussion on Albert, Franz and The Count's sexuality. Some people say that the director had intended to imply that Franz was in love with Albert, others say that Albert is bi-curious and some even say that the Count may have had feelings for Albert as (for some reason) pleas from his ex-fiancé did not make him stop but a hug from Albert exorcised him*. We can't exactly say that Albert is flat out gay because of course he likes Eugenie.

*This too is debateable.

So, what are your thoughts?
-Naami-Apr 14, 2010 7:41 AM

Apr 10, 2010 5:19 PM
Mar 2010
Okay, my thoughts on these characters' sexual preferences:

1) Yaoi fangirls' longings aside, Albert is definitely into WOMEN. The show makes it clear he's very much in love with Eugenie. He also fell for Beppo (and would've slept with 'her' if it hadn't been for the gun and all) - but then he learnt Beppo was a guy and that was a major turn off for him. He never showed /that/ sort of interest in Beppo again.
Albert's love for Franz is strong yet platonic. He's oblivious to all of Franz's subtle suggestions.
What he feels for the Count is a mixture of awe, hero worship and admiration. Albert would probably say there's a dep bond between them, but it's more like a connection of souls, not carnal desire.
My opinion: Albert is heterosexual.

2) Franz is most certainly deeply in love with Albert; it's rather obvious in the anime. Take that episode when Albert's poisoned, for example, when Franz and Maximilien discuss their feelings: Franz nearly states out loud it's Albert whom he loves - not only as a friend. Then he sacrifices his life for Albert and it's the ultimate proof of that love.
Now, does being so deeply in love with Albert make him gay? I'm not so certain. Sure, I have no trouble with him being just gay, but then again, he's 15, and at this age lots of people fall for their best friends of the same sex! At 16-17 or so, I was completely in love with my best friend of the same gender as me, would've perhaps slept with her and died for her, given the oportunity (or so I felt at that time), and yet, I'm not homosexual.
So, there's a possibility that Franz's also going though a similar phase. HOWEVER, I think he was actually in love with Albert from the very beginning - remember that flashback from their childhood when they're ridding bikes? I do believe his feelings for Albert are incredibly deep and that he would've gladly spent his whole life as Albert's partner.
Remember, he doesn't seem to be interested romantically in his fiance at all, but maybe that's the thing with arranged marriages - he doesn't seem to be interested in Valentine on /any/ level, even as friend, period. On the other hand, there's also that Countess G. It's quite clear Franz was about to sleep with her in Episode 2, and judging from his (and her) behavior, sleeping with a woman was nothing knew to him.
Of course, we need to remember that his love/concern for Albert made him abandon a /naked/, willing lady, which is yet another argument for being gay ('cause a 'normal' 15-year-old would've at last stayed for a quick round before dashing out in search of his friend ;)).
My opinion: Franz is either homosexual or bisexual.

3) The Count. Edmond was deeply in love with Mercedes, wanted to spend his whole life with her. They seemed very happy together, and honestly, I don't think a gay man would have been so eager to marry a girl, especially in that futuristic society, where I suppose being gay is no longer something you need to keep secret. Even after 25 years of separation, Mercedes clearly moves the Count in some ways - take his reactions for her appearance in Episode 3 and 4 - he didn't react so strongly to Fernand as he did to hearing her voice. Also, he was never in love with his best male friend, like Franz was.
As for his relationship with Albert, it's never shown in the anime that the Count actually loves or sexually desires the boy. Even when they're alone, like that time on the spaceship, the Count never tries to make a pass at the boy. I think he grows fond of the boy somehow, even despite himself, but that's just it - a shadow of human emotions at the bottom of his heart that allows him to abandon his vengeance and spare the kid in the end. If he actually loves the boy - then it has to be platonic love: what he sees in Albert is his past self, goodness and innocence.
My opinion: Edmond is heterosexual. The Count is pretty much unable to love anyone. He /can/ be a calculating suducer, but he shows this side with Victoria (Danglar's wife) rather than with Albert.

Having written all this, now I expect rabid yaoi fangirls and Count/Albert/Franz shippers to eat me alive. :)
LucreciaLeVraiDec 28, 2014 11:59 AM
Apr 14, 2010 8:53 AM

Jul 2009
LucreciaLeVrai said:
Okay, my thoughts on these characters' sexual preferences:

1) Albert is definitely into WOMEN. The show makes it clear he's very much in love with Eugenie. What he feels for the Count is a mixture of awe, hero worship and admiration. Albert would probably say there's a dep bond between them, but it's more like a connection of souls, not carnal desire.
My opinion: Albert is heterosexual.

I completely agree that Albert is into women since he had stated himself that he's in love Eugenie, but I'm not so sure about his feelings for the Count. True, it may just be awe, idolizing and admiration but to the point where he's blushing at his almost every word? They way they read their lines sometimes was almost like lovers, but that just may be me who thinks that.

LucreciaLeVrai said:
2) Franz is most certainly deeply in love with Albert; it's rather obvious in the anime. Take that episode when Albert's poisoned, for example, when Franz and Maximilien discuss their feelings: Franz nearly states out loud it's Albert whom he loves - not only as a friend. Then he sacrifices his life for Albert and it's the ultimate proof of that love.
HOWEVER, I think he was actually in love with Albert from the very beginning - remember that flashback from their childhood when they're ridding bikes? I do believe his feelings for Albert are incredibly deep and that he would've gladly spent his whole life as Albert's partner.
Remember, he doesn't seem to be interested romantically in his fiance at all, but maybe that's the thing with arranged marriages - he's doesn't seem to be interested in Valentine on /any/ level, even as friend, period. On the other hand, there's also that Countess G. It's quite clear Franz was about to sleep with her in Episode 2, and judging from his (and her) behavior, sleeping with a woman was nothing knew to him.
Of course, we need to remember that his love/concern for Albert made him abandon a /naked/, willing lady, which is yet another argument for being gay ('cause a 'normal' 15-year-old would've at last stayed for a quick round before dashing out in search of his friend ;)).
My opinion: Franz is either homosexual or bisexual.

Surprisingly, I never really thought much of Franz being homosexual. To me it just seemed like the usual "Best friends are everything" plot device/cliché (like Sasuke and Naruto), maybe borderline homosexuality but I definitely didn't think he was in love with Albert. Looking back though, the way he did do some things (like you said ditching the woman to look for Albert or dying for him) was so over the top that it would seem only lovers would do that. This too, however, is arguable - because again, who's to say that some people wouldn't die for their best friend who they have a completely platonic relationship with?

LucreciaLeVrai said:
3) The Count. Edmond was deeply in love with Mercedes, wanted to spend his whole life in her. Even after 25 years of separation, Mercedes clearly moves the Count in some ways - take his reactions for her appearance in Episode 3 and 4 - he didn't react so strongly to Fernand as he did to hearing her voice. Also, he was never in love with his best male friend, like Franz was.

Yet when Mercedes tells the Count to stop he thinks nothing of it but when Albert flippin' hugs him he gets exorcised? (as you can tell I didn't think this was an adaquete end to the Count)

LucreciaLeVrai said:
My opinion: Edmond is heterosexual. The Count is pretty much unable to love anyone. He /can/ be a calculating suducer, but he shows this side with Victoria (Danglar's wife) rather than with Albert.

Lol, I think he's a seducer too :) And uses it for his advantage. But definitely not gay.

Apr 16, 2010 8:41 PM

Aug 2008
I don't think there is anything about Albert's sexuality, the Peppo incident aside. As a fan, I like making him bi, but I doubt there is actually anything to it. It's just fun to make him look as gay as possible (i.e. Gankutsuou abridged)

As far as Albert and the Count, that is totally platonic in my book. He sees the Count as if he was a god but, even after seeing him for who he is, he is able to suppress his own desire for vengeance, unlike the Count, and forgive him from the heart.

As far as Franz loving Albert as more than a friend, I must have missed that one. I may have honestly missed it, but I am also skeptical. They love each other more than they love anyone, but that doesn't mean it's romantic. I see no reason to think so...not that I would mind it being canon, of course.... : D

And the Count...yeah, he is unable to love since he is essentially filled with hate (where Albert becomes the opposite). Though he would sleep with as many men as need be if it was for the sake of getting closer to executing his vengeance.

edit: As far as Franz, I take it back. I can see him having more than friendly feelings for Albert. Actually, I agree that there is very strong evidence for it. Might have been a way to transfer the les Eugenie to Franz seeing as making Eugenie clearly interested in men important to this anime's story line.
aixelsydOct 23, 2010 2:43 PM
May 2, 2010 6:18 AM

May 2009
Albert and The Count are debatable, to me. There is no solid evidence of any solid preference for one or the other, but it is known that they both lean towards women. Whether or not there is a possibility of them leaning the other way is up to the viewer, I suppose. Mostly, both of them seem to be heterosexual.

With Franz, I firmly believe that he is legitimately in love with Albert and is homosexual. Why?

1. Albert was pestering them while they were riding bikes together as children. He demanded to know who the person was that Franz liked. Franz replied that Albert "wouldn't understand" and never told him.

LucreciaLeVrai said:
when Albert's poisoned, for example, when Franz and Maximilien discuss their feelings: Franz nearly states out loud it's Albert whom he loves - not only as a friend. Then he sacrifices his life for Albert and it's the ultimate proof of that love.

Finally, the most solid, definite evidence in my mind:

3. When asked how he felt about his fiance, he replied that she was fine, he liked her "as much as any girl". Combining this statement with the above, I think it's fairly clear that his feelings are legitimate and purposeful on the part of the creator.
Jul 4, 2010 4:06 AM

Apr 2010
franz is definitely gay for albert
Jul 4, 2010 1:42 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
DeusExMachina said:

With Franz, I firmly believe that he is legitimately in love with Albert and is homosexual. Why?

1. Albert was pestering them while they were riding bikes together as children. He demanded to know who the person was that Franz liked. Franz replied that Albert "wouldn't understand" and never told him.

LucreciaLeVrai said:
when Albert's poisoned, for example, when Franz and Maximilien discuss their feelings: Franz nearly states out loud it's Albert whom he loves - not only as a friend. Then he sacrifices his life for Albert and it's the ultimate proof of that love.

Finally, the most solid, definite evidence in my mind:

3. When asked how he felt about his fiance, he replied that she was fine, he liked her "as much as any girl". Combining this statement with the above, I think it's fairly clear that his feelings are legitimate and purposeful on the part of the creator.

Was in doubt about Franzs' sexuality, but after reading your post and rewatching those scenes you mention, it most definitely is heavily implied that Franz is homosexual.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 10, 2010 3:55 AM
Jul 2008
i just thought it was a strong bond of friendship.
like "bros before hoes" ya no?=p
Oct 21, 2010 9:32 AM

Sep 2009
Interesting view points, tis making me look at the anime differently now
TIME TO LIVE FOREVER BABY!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19549
Please join if you love Asian Cinema :)
Oct 25, 2010 5:20 AM

Nov 2007
This is an old discussion and all, but I may as well. Aside from the aforementioned clues, in the VA commentaries, Hirakawa Daisuke himself has said that Franz's feelings for Albert are beyond that of normal friendship.

As for why Edmond was defrosted by a hug from Albert and not by Mercedes' pleas, my opinion is that it's because he spent his entire revenge plot dragging Alberts life through mud. He set him up from the very beginning, betrayed his trust and feelings, sent the families of his friends into chaos, nearly had Eugenie raped and married to Andrea, destroyed his family's reputation and his false image of them, had Peppo spy on him and most of all, killed Franz in cold blood. Yet despite all that Albert was willing to forgive him and wish for no one to die, as well as pity and cry for the very monster the count became. He may have loved Mercedes, but Albert's actions strike much more deeply to him.

In fact, the drama cd reveals that seeing baby Albert's smiling face was the final straw that made Edmond's desire to exact his revenge without mercy resolute and that Edmond had planned everything with the intention of ruining Albert's life along with the ones who betrayed him. Hell, he even planted the idea of going to Luna into Albert and Franz's heads even before they were old enough to travel solo. This really makes the impact of Albert forgiving him even stronger to the Count.
Jul 31, 2012 12:22 AM

Sep 2010
Franz is homosexual. He's canonically in love with Albert and seems completely uninterested in women.

Albert is heteroflexible, but oblivious to Franz's feelings.

The Count seemed pansexual.
Aug 31, 2012 2:31 PM

Feb 2011
They're all asexual.
Apr 26, 2013 1:15 PM
Dec 2010
Well Albert and Franz seemed as gays to me not once. Though Albert behavior was more pointing to that, he was in love with girl after all. Franz behavior looked to me more as he's best friend but it seemed like they wanted to hint his feelings for Albert not once. On the contrary i also played with idea that Franz's feelings might have been for Eugénie but he knew she loved Albert and he wanted those two to be happy, his love interest with his best friend. As if authors wanted to put them in contrast with older generation's tragic love triangle.

Count made feel that he was just longing for someone who would save him from despair and darkness of his soul where others failed Albert hit right spot i guess then again Albert seemed like gay again doing that.
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Apr 27, 2013 11:30 AM

Jan 2013
franz wants the d. albert isn't sure if he wants the count's d. the count doesn't want the d until albert kisses him (or was it a hug)
skyrim fans, give this guy some love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca3lGbKUcHk
Mar 24, 2014 1:06 AM

Jan 2014
Franz is definitely in love with Albert.

Albert is obsessed with the Count, but I think he sees the Count as a father figure.

By the way, Franz is the nicest person in the anime. :) How I wish he and Albert would spend their life together..
F0XFIRE said:
OP 4 most butthurt bitch on MAL.

Jan 25, 2015 1:44 AM

Dec 2010
Watched a few episodes a couple of years ago, then stopped inexplicably. Decided to return to the series yesterday and after seeing it with a fresh pair of eyes I think it's undeniable: there were definitely indications that Franz held deeper feelings for Albert. He even goes on to state to Maximilian that marrying someone is not the only way to express your love for them and that phrase holds true throughout the series -- Franz dies to save Albert from dueling the Count, and Albert's forgiveness and (I would say platonic/ father-like) love for the Count reverts him back to his human state.

That being said, I think it's interesting how Franz/Eugenie/Albert relationship is supposed to mirror the Fernand/Mercedes/Edmund relationship, yet there is no competition between Franz and Albert, just friendship and love. Ultimately if it wasn't for the Count's meddling they would've met a happy ending because they weren't looking to compete or destroy one another. Franz was willing to stand by Albert's side in whatever capacity Albert needed him, regardless of his engagement or social status, and was equally supportive of Eugenie. RIP Franz, you will be missed.
Feb 27, 2015 8:32 PM

Jul 2012
Hi, I just finished this anime.

Franz --> Albert is pretty accurate. No denying it.
Albert --> Count is a creepy obsession, which can be interpreted as romantic love...or just intense admiration/mentorship.

Honestly, Albert --> Eugenie feels way too forced. It just started happening in the middle of the show when he didn't show any signs of liking her before.
Dec 18, 2015 8:49 AM

Jun 2012
Albert - hetero
Franz - homo
Edmond - hetero
Count - asexual

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

TuzoAnime - Jun 13, 2008

172 by KrispyKlub »»
Apr 5, 5:45 AM

» About the Ending of Gankutsuou [Spoilers]

DeactivatedProbe - May 29, 2021

2 by scrapegoat »»
Feb 19, 10:34 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Jun 14, 2008

94 by KuroGFX »»
Feb 6, 9:09 PM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

StabbyPWNS - Nov 3, 2008

120 by Leongolleyn »»
Dec 29, 2023 5:48 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 13 Discussion

Mikiyo - Apr 8, 2009

45 by nicissad »»
Oct 5, 2023 10:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.