Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 10, 2010 7:40 PM

Sep 2009
chireiyu said:
What I don't get is... Tenshi. Since Guild did not deactivate the traps then that means that she was already on her way down there, right? If that's the case then how come Yuri and company did not run into her?

Since she obviously was behind Yuri and Otonashi at the end (despite having the "lead") and was still setting off traps, does that mean that there was an alternate route or that the previous traps were reactivated? If they were reactivated then did the members that sacrificed themselves run into her (and reface the traps)? Because when Yuri was telling the others that they were now in Old Guild the others were still recovering...

rofl am I even making any sense? D8 So basically I'm asking... there are multiple routes to get down to Guild, yes? Even though they didn't outright state it...
Hmm, well, seeing how Yuri and the rest of the group did diverge to another pathway when the rolling boulder trap was activated, I think it's fair to assume there might exist more than one way to reach the Guild. But I think it's just one of them darn plot-holes that you'll have to live with. @~@;
Apr 10, 2010 7:47 PM

Mar 2008
chireiyu said:
What I don't get is... Tenshi. Since Guild did not deactivate the traps then that means that she was already on her way down there, right? If that's the case then how come Yuri and company did not run into her?

The passageways and entrance were all labeled as B something. That probably suggests that there is a whole A route as well, hence the reason they never ran into her.
Apr 10, 2010 7:49 PM

Jun 2009
TK is just too fucking awesome and that beautiful OP reminded me that this was a Key series. Now waiting for mass amounts of drama.

About the route-
Apr 10, 2010 7:52 PM
Sep 2009
Better, but everything happened (deaths) a little too quickly. And that flashback of Yuri's memories seemed really forced (the situation was a little too extreme).

Otherwise, not bad. I hope things get more interesting.
Apr 10, 2010 7:56 PM

Jan 2010
Splitter said:

I'm actually rather surprised to find out he didn't do the score for this show as well, seeing as he composed all the music for Air/Kanon/Clannad.

Maeda did compose the scores, Anant Garde did the arrangements. Considering how many roles he had to play (just look at the staff page o.0), it's not surprising he outsourced some of the work.
Apr 10, 2010 8:15 PM

Nov 2007
Ohh okay. |D That makes sense. I thought it was just... B1, B2, etc. for Basement 1, Basement 2... since they're going underground and all. Guess I've been playing too much Pokemon or something. >__> ;;
Apr 10, 2010 8:17 PM

Jul 2009
OrochiPL said:
You're too soft francis. Yuri's past is so lame, that i can't even feel sorry for her.
And one more thing francis, it's "Tenshi(angel)" not "Tenshin".

What's wrong with him liking Tenshin-han? Tenshin-han is awesome ya know, spouting "As a matter of fact" constantly and ain't afraid of anything.

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Apr 10, 2010 8:17 PM

Aug 2009
Very weird episode; I didn't really like how this one went through, at least it was better than the first episode. I found Yuri more likable as a character then Haruhi (lol) and her characterisation was good, although atmosphere of entire episode pretty much killed it. I found the idea of 'guild' and whole trap things were a bit out of nowhere. Disconected flow of this episode left me in despair.

I hated both OP and ED songs (ewww) but animation for them was good although I just can't get used to character design with no-depth.

I mean... the whole plot movement, characters, atomspheres... all of them is a bit... cheap and forced

ShibuyaRiver said:
It is kinda reminding me of The World Ends With You. Almost the same concept.
Same for me.
ringoo4Apr 11, 2010 1:02 AM
Apr 10, 2010 8:56 PM

Aug 2008
First off, I'm addicted to the OP theme & the animation to go with it is splendid! As for the episode...

Still can't figure out if I like this show or not. The beginning wasn't particularly appealing. I mean seeing immortals being "killed" in horrific and ridiculous ways appeals a bit to my dark sense of humor, but after awhile you wonder what's the point. Hearing Yuri's story was a definite eye-opener. It somewhat makes more sense when you think about how tenacious she is. I don't know if I can say she hated life or God more. I suppose this show has done well to give me something to be curious about. Apparently memories are extremely important here, as the craftsman demonstrated. Hell! If I were dead & had all the time in the world to make anything I can think of from dirt I'd be excited about it, too.
Apr 10, 2010 9:07 PM

Mar 2008
Being the Lia fangirl I am, I am absolutely loving the opening song. The animation quality of the show is generally nice.

However,the opening really reflects the disjointed feeling I'm getting from this anime. I mean, there's a serious, melancholy feeling from Tenshi playing the piano, a bunch of characters including tough guys and cute girls with instruments introduced by silly looking speech bubbles, a girl with a gun implying violence, an episode montage with tons of effects applied, etc. As for the episode itself - a video-game style trek through the trap-filled underground dungeon involving a bunch of 'deaths' played for comedy and reinforcing the stereotypes of the characters (Idiot who thinks he's really cool gets killed out of nowhere first! Serious ninja girl actually loves cute things!) Let's not forget the tragic backstory, an awesome battle scene, inspiring uplifting moments, I think you get my point now. It was much better than the first episode, but this show is still really jarring and feeling quite forced to me.

I'll keep watching up to probably the midway point because of my faith in Jun Maeda (both story and music-wise) and an attachment to Yuri and Tenshi. BTW, did anyone notice the rearrange of the song used in PV6 (the one that wow'd everyone, including me) during Yuri's backstory moment?
Apr 10, 2010 9:11 PM

Jul 2009
I don't know how I'm supposed to react at this show, and I'm not sure if that's good or bad yet.
Apr 10, 2010 11:00 PM

Oct 2009
randywmorgan17 said:
TK = Super awesome.

To all TK lovers......I find him cool too but it's only because of his English expressions, his looks are kind of funky and most of all it's the little bit he brings to each moment in the episode so far.....they are funny! :D
randywmorgan17 said:
The traps were unreal and like something you would see in Indiana Jones... and he would live every time!
Rofl...I was thinking that also and looks like I was not alone in it.
chireiyu said:

That is a good question and I think it might be because there are many roads to take.
chireiyu said:
Since she obviously was behind Yuri and Otonashi at the end (despite having the "lead") and was still setting off traps, does that mean that there was an alternate route or that the previous traps were reactivated?

I think there was many routes and some had many traps but all this looks too convenient to me. The traps were always active (from the moment Tenshi came) no matter how I see this.
chireiyu said:
If they were reactivated then did the members that sacrificed themselves run into her (and reface the traps)?
I don't think they ran into her and even if they did she would not do anything to them anyways.
chireiyu said:
Because when Yuri was telling the others that they were now in Old Guild the others were still recovering...
Yes but Tenshi might have ignored them so most likely I think she left them alone where they were.

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Apr 10, 2010 11:37 PM
Feb 2010
I can't stop watching the OP. Over and over and over :D
Apr 11, 2010 12:04 AM

Jul 2009
Did you all notice that both OP& ED has no Yui despite she is part of the SSS members.
Foreshadowing anyone?
Apr 11, 2010 12:43 AM

Jul 2008
I love how everyone is talking about the opening besides the show itself. XD
...and TK
Apr 11, 2010 1:37 AM
Jul 2018
Akiyama said:
OP "My Soul,Your Beats!" words and music by Jun Maeda. ED "Brave Song" words and music by Jun Maeda. Really he has multiple talent.
I often misread that as My Soul, Your Breasts. The OP was awesome in terms of the animation. The song, not quite, imo. The ED was better. As for the episode... damn, it made me cringe multiple times ;A; Sadism much???
Apr 11, 2010 1:46 AM

Oct 2009
Haha wow okay. I mean, I like it, but here's the thing. Either this is going to appeal to the side of me that has a slightly darker sense of humor, or it's going to shove sympathetic backstory nonsense down my throat. I was perfectly fine with this episode until it started going on about Yuri's tragic past.

When the characters were being killed off in the beginning, I reacted in that same giddygiggly way as I did when I watched Dokuro-chan, but then something grabs me by the emotional balls and just twists them. I'm the same as any regular teenage girl in the world; sad stories are sad, so I was, indeed, sad. But after it was over, I was just annoyed.

Ugh, I don't know. Anyway, overall, I did enjoy it. I just have that one complaint. Ok.
Apr 11, 2010 2:00 AM

Apr 2008
I liked this episode though everyone was getting killed off. The way they died in the traps and how nobody cared made me laugh. The first two traps reminded me of Indiana Jones and Resident Evil

I liked OP and ED, they are pretty good.

Breath||
Apr 11, 2010 2:06 AM
Jul 2018
Monsta said:
I liked this episode though everyone was getting killed off. The way they died in the traps and how nobody cared made me laugh. The first two traps reminded me of Indiana Jones and Resident Evil

I liked OP and ED, they are pretty good.

I Agree. I also like this episode.
The one trap with a laser really reminded me of Resident Evil.

I soooo like the ED
Apr 11, 2010 2:35 AM

Apr 2010
What I don't get is how people 'don't get the plot' or 'don't understand the story'. I think the story of this anime is very clear!

They're dead. This is the afterlife. If you comply with Angel, you turn into an NPC or disappear. If you want to live, you fight Angel. How is this complicated?

Honestly... (and I can't believe I'm gonna say this, cause I'm gonna get flamed so bad...) I think that a good deal of the rage over the first episode was just Haruhi fanatics that were butthurt over Yuri resembling their goddess a little bit. And I admit that I see some similarities.

But come on! Taking old ideas and putting a new spin on them is a GREAT way to see new and interesting things. People need to calm the hell down and just watch the show without all these preconceived notions.

I quite enjoyed BOTH episodes so far, and I thought they were masterfully done. ED was really touching. OP was amazing.

I will be honest though, it does feel slightly rushed. I think they revealed Yuri's past too early.

havsie said:
They're not dead, the EKG on the logo could mean that they're in comas or just barely alive and this is a "dream" of some sorts.

I saw this and I was like... WOW. This is a really COOL speculation. I never would have noticed that it was an EKG (if it is one). I thought it had something to do with sound, or beats (oh wait... DUH.. heartbeats!).

So yeah... Cool beans. :)

I'm excited for episode 3.
akira1rpApr 11, 2010 2:39 AM
Apr 11, 2010 2:55 AM

Jun 2009
BitchMaster said:
OrochiPL said:
You're too soft francis. Yuri's past is so lame, that i can't even feel sorry for her.

What's wrong with him liking Tenshin-han? Tenshin-han is awesome ya know, spouting "As a matter of fact" constantly and ain't afraid of anything.

Haa?
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Apr 11, 2010 3:07 AM

Jan 2009
OrochiPL said:
BitchMaster said:
OrochiPL said:
Haa?
I lol'd
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Apr 11, 2010 3:17 AM

Nov 2008
Oosran said:
OrochiPL said:
BitchMaster said:
OrochiPL said:
Haa?
I lol'd

Me confused.
Apr 11, 2010 3:17 AM

Mar 2010
i found the part where there person was hit and flew into the sky funny, because the bg sound was like saying good bye to him
Apr 11, 2010 3:19 AM

Mar 2010
i dont really understand how yui's family died when u cant die in that world
Apr 11, 2010 3:50 AM

Aug 2009
Pandaandrew said:
It's because people die when they are killed.

Damn, old meme.
Apr 11, 2010 4:00 AM

Nov 2008
^ ^ ^

Apr 11, 2010 4:50 AM

Jun 2009
Pandaandrew said:

That's obvious. They died in 'real world' and after that they most likely became water fleas or something else. Yuri died later so she couldn't convince them to fight against Tenshi.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Apr 11, 2010 5:56 AM

Jan 2010
The series just gets better and better.
Apr 11, 2010 5:57 AM
Aug 2009
LOLZZZ
this eps is really hillarious!!!

i loved all sacrificed scene when going to the guild!!
it's sooo funny, and when Noda get hammered, there is a slow motion and a "farewell" song. ROFL

really waiting for eps 3!!

when will eps 3 come out??
Apr 11, 2010 7:31 AM

Jan 2009
francismeunier said:
I find him cool too but it's only because of his English expressions
Note: Engrish, not English 8D
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Apr 11, 2010 7:33 AM

Oct 2009
this ep was much much better then the first one and OP&ED simply rox :D
Apr 11, 2010 7:34 AM

Aug 2009
Oosran said:
francismeunier said:
I find him cool too but it's only because of his English expressions
Note: Engrish, not English 8D

Nope, he's American
Apr 11, 2010 7:38 AM

Nov 2009
Love da comedy pacing (*note: Resident Evil reference)
Love the OP + ED (LIA i love u!!!!!!! ^^)
Love da story flow goes
Apr 11, 2010 7:42 AM

Apr 2009
I really like the OP and ED and the episode was decent. Some of the sacrifices were pretty funny.
Apr 11, 2010 8:34 AM

Feb 2010
loved the OP and ED, will all the OPs be different in each episode? coz this Op showed the stuff that come from ep 2 during the chorus bit . love the fan service!

Do you like or wish for the Otonashi X Tachibana Kanade pairing from Angel Beats? Or just love both characters?
Then Join the club ^^:The Otonashi X Tachibana Kanade Club

Apr 11, 2010 8:49 AM

Mar 2008
Yeah that was nice Ep.

The laser trap was also in Resident Evil right?

Apr 11, 2010 8:51 AM
Jul 2008
So far so good.
Apr 11, 2010 8:54 AM

Jul 2008
The op and ed were ok, but Yuri's past was really sad.
Apr 11, 2010 9:28 AM

Aug 2008
Good show but so far i'm not feeling it

Maximatum99 said:
ringoo4 said:
Pandaandrew said:
It's because people die when they are killed.
rofl
Apr 11, 2010 9:59 AM
Mar 2010
awesome anime :D
Apr 11, 2010 10:41 AM

Nov 2007
"there was no helping it with his build"
"that guy needs to go on a diet"

LMFAO. anyway, funny episode. i'm glad i'm watching this, haha.
ps, THE BROMANCE BETWEEN OTONASHI & HINATA IS FUCKING BEAUTIFUL.
Apr 11, 2010 10:51 AM
Aug 2009
This anime continues to impress me. Fantastic OP and ED! In general fantastic episode.
Apr 11, 2010 10:53 AM

Aug 2009
This anime really flows easily when i watch it. i don't know where it will be heading, but up until now it's very very enjoyable! plus all the characters are great! i love the art and the music is pretty good too! :) can't wait for the next episode! this one was full of awesome moments!
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.”Akira Kurosawa
Apr 11, 2010 10:54 AM
Jan 2010
Looks like I'm the only one who thought the first episode was better...
Apr 11, 2010 10:55 AM

Aug 2008
Here's the thing: Last week's episode was so atrociously bad that seeing an episode as cliche and overdone in this one (let's get past the traps, lawl) that wasn't a total failure makes it feel like a win. I also give props to the writing to give Yuri a back story that feels legitimate. They also threw in the nugget that no one in this world dies of suicide, and I automatically think that the main guy dies of suicide just to be the exception.

But, looking at the whole of the episode, I can't help but agree with Ukyo9 when he/she says that they undermine the whole point of the episode if they're just going to blow the whole facility up in an instant. Why not have multiple working facilities, or at least many points of storage for copies? It's one of those cases where the fine points of the fantasy element aren't as well-thought as they should be, but that's not much of a surprise. The writer is never good at implementing the fantasy elements into the other Key stories either.

That's why I wish he would just try for a straight drama that doesn't have people magically saved by love and wishes. He'd do much better in that avenue instead of created convoluted tripe.
Apr 11, 2010 11:54 AM

Jul 2009
OP was impressive.

Episode was lustre, the 'IT'S A TRAP' was great comic relief and showed that Angel Beats are going for an odd mix of drama, fantasy and comedy here, though I do hope things get thoroughly explained later on, as most of their objectives seem a bit frivolous to me, but I'll keep my expectations at bay for now and think of it as more of an introductory arc to the characters.

WANT MORE.
Apr 11, 2010 1:36 PM

Nov 2008
Still don't know what to think of this series. At least the animation is pretty. I felt bad for Yuri too, in her backstory.
Apr 11, 2010 2:04 PM

Feb 2010
Really great episode! I can tell I will absolutely love this show, has an insane amount of potential and the second episode didn't disappoint.

The TK moments were absolutely hilarious. =D

Apr 11, 2010 2:12 PM

Feb 2009
I'm having such a hard time getting around the fact that there's character death without character death, lol.

Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 4, 2010

661 by Hue_Enjoyer »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 18, 2010

462 by SanessyAdversary »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 11, 2010

377 by SanessyAdversary »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 28, 2010

564 by Hue_Enjoyer »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 25, 2010

1749 by Vapor_AU »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.