Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 16, 2013 8:43 AM

Aug 2012
Oh my..
I couldn't breath at the end of this episode..
Johann is so fucking interesting.. and it was so sad voor Richard, he finally could see his daugher..

5/5
Apr 17, 2013 9:15 AM

Mar 2013
Good episode lol....
Apr 19, 2013 4:12 PM

May 2010
Arrggggh this was the definitely the most tense episode yet. Clever writing.

Johan is definitely extremely evil.

.. Is it weird that there's just this tiny part of me that's not totally convinced that Kenzo is innocent? Just little niggling bits here and there.. I got reminded of it again when that serial killer guy coloured in the hair black on Johan's photo. 99% sure I'm wrong but there you go.
Apr 26, 2013 12:35 PM

Apr 2013
Poor Richard. The psychological pressure broke him.
May 23, 2013 1:43 AM

Jul 2012
Wtf. How does he solve the mystery of all the other murders in town, connect all the dots and conclude that everything points toward Johan, and yet he isn't the least bit skeptical when Johan shows up at his front door? Following the guy you suspect of murder into a dark building with nobody else around is brilliant.

Gee, he ain't no Sherlock that's for sure.
Jun 25, 2013 9:36 AM

Feb 2012
19maria9 said:
This is just like a horror movie that doesn't make any sense.
I mean really? Why you would open the door? And then follow him to who knows where?

Because you're a detective that needs to know more about Johan and because you have the pride to say "that man can't hurt me."

To the viewer, it's a foregone conclusion that Richard was going to die, but to Richard himself -- hardly!
CuriousThingJun 25, 2013 8:35 PM
Jul 30, 2013 8:54 AM

Jan 2013
This was an excellent episode.
I must say, to anyone who complains about the ending sequence being unrealistic, you don't know a thing about psychology.
Take some courses before you act like you know everything about a subject.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
My brother and I compose classical and modern music, please click the link below if you're interested.
http://thesearethetwins.wordpress.com/

Please check out my profile to see what anime I recommend.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
Aug 19, 2013 2:49 AM
May 2012
What the fuck just happen!!!! I fell asleep halfway of the episode and I woke up after 2 hours and had to rewind the video I haven't even had lunch well I'm about to.

Johann you sly motherfucker he's about to see his daughter tomorrow yet you killed him well it's bound to happen I'm expecting it. I like how he can manipulate other people well I think I can do that in real life hehe.
Aug 20, 2013 5:53 AM

Mar 2013
Johann didn't even need to use a weapon, he used pure manipulation to reverse Richard's mentality. If it's really true what Richard did or not, holy shit.
Sep 13, 2013 5:29 PM

Jan 2013
I found it quite weird how Richard decided to follow him, even though he was pretty sure there was something wrong with him.

Yet he followed him through a street, up a tower onto a roof ...
Now it might be Johan messing with him, but Richard is (sorry was) kinda dumb in that regard.
Oct 3, 2013 12:03 AM

Jul 2009
WOOOOW!

definitely one of the best episodes of the series so far!!

first off, just as Richard was about to see his daughter and finally finishes his rehabilitation then he suddenly dies :(

so Johan's name is not Johan?

or did he just fake his death so that people would stop looking for him?

and wow such a manipulative bastard!

first he researches his victim and tries to pick him a part one by one.

of course Johan knew Alcohol was a witness to Richard, but how the hell did Johan knew Richard's family.

or even Richard's case, was Richard really drunk? or did he fabricated the story just so he could tear Richard apart.

i think Johan just changed the story in order for Richard to be mentally break himself.

first off, one of his colleagues from the last episode did say he was drunk on duty and shot him.

Johan was just making an excuse so he could control Richard.

and wow Jurgens was still alive after all these episodes?!?!

then he suddenly dies O______O

Johan too scary for him?

shame Richard was probably forced to drink the Alcohol and kills himself.

then people will deduce that he started drinking again so he killed himself.

such a perfect plan Johan.

Dr Reichwein and Gillman was soo close on getting this case open for detectives to pursue.

finally Tenma can prove his innocence!!!

as for people saying it was waay too easy for Johan to do this. Richard has just gone through a hellish traumatic event and is still recovering from it. of course he'll be mentally break.

and as for not enough people investigating, what did you expect? alot of people assumed this was just a murder and nothing more.

even from the police precinct and even Richard's former student he said they were too busy to deal with these kind of cases so you can't really expect them to work on this.

and finally Johan is definitely a mastermind badass. waaaay better than Light Yagami.

doesn't need a supernatural thing to save his ass, all he needs is words and how to manipulate someones weakness.

doesn't show any sign of mercy or emotions(Light is waay too emotional throughout the series)

and this is why i love Monster.

plus one of the few anime's were it shows the subtle horror on each scene as well as that creepy music that's playing.

of course we're still not half way through! this is just the beginning and i can't wait for more of this!!!
Oct 3, 2013 12:16 AM

Jul 2009
i forgot to mention one thing.

i noticed at the end when Johan was looking at Richard.

the screen suddenly turned into one of Johan's Iris and you can see the white thing on the cornea of his eye.

that's the bullet Tenma had to removed and showed the CT scan of it.

could it be he has that power to influence someone?

just a small thing i noticed since i just saw the opening for episode 30 and it showed the same iris with the white bullet thing on the middle of his cornea :)
Dec 3, 2013 10:32 PM

Jan 2013
Is it strange that I'm beginning to find Johan rather attractive? Something about his strength is just so impressive and even though he's evil, I think that's kind of the charm in a way. Ah, I don't know.
Dec 15, 2013 12:21 AM

Sep 2011
Wow... Johan took his soul.
Jan 7, 2014 4:37 PM

Mar 2013
"Dou desu? Nomimasen ka?"
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Feb 2, 2014 12:50 PM

Jan 2014
I see. With that whiskey he, made it seem like richard, died a drunk, making it seem like a. Drunken death. Truly evil, but, that bar man can still save the day. HE IS A WITNESS THAT JOHAN WAS INDEED WITH RICHARD

As of now, please try to refrain from looking at MAL. its a complete mess right now T-T
People of anime have whooped, roasted, beaten, and tamed my ass. I have learned my ways and will never speak that horrible word. But, believe me, MY DAY OF VENGEANCE SHALL COME(please dont take this seriously, just "trying" to be funny lol
Feb 9, 2014 6:18 AM

May 2013
I saw it coming but damn, why did he follow mr creep like that. Can't feel sorry for him now after his stupid mistake.

Johan trully scares the shit out of me, I have seen evil mothafuckers in anime but nobody scares me like Johan.
''We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths. As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are. That's what death is, don't you think?'' - Uchiha Itachi
Feb 10, 2014 4:45 PM

May 2013
I am totally enamored with Johan. He is one of the most fascinating characters I've ever come across in any anime...not to mention he's legitimately terrifying. His whole conversation with Richard before the end provided a very interesting look into his psyche. Suddenly his seeming obsession with kids and children is beginning to make sense. He seemed really hung up on that during his talk with Richard, and his motive for killing Richard is probably more than just him getting closer to the truth.

There was some weak writing in this episode though. Richard strongly suspected Johann and knew he was dangerous. Why on earth would he follow him to an isolated area? More so, Johann left his fingerprints all over that glass he offered Richard. Wouldn't the police be able to determine he was there if they analyse that?
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Feb 11, 2014 8:34 PM

May 2013
I am fascinated with Johan as he is quite the manipulator. He sets up murders by messing with people's psyche. The way he psychologically broke down Richards was memorable.
Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a problem.
Mar 8, 2014 3:32 PM

Oct 2013
Man, he gets the phone call from his daughter and Johan knocked on his door. I knew for certain he was going to die then. Amazing writing. I'm creeped out by the adoration for Johan here, lol. It's fine to admire the character creation but if you go beyond that maybe you need some soul searching :p
Mar 26, 2014 10:01 AM
May 2013
Did anyone else notice on the subs that after the intro music the title was "Just one case" which was the title of the previous episode? That got me really worried I'd somehow messed up the order in which I was watching monster.
Johann is a great villain. And really he doesn't do anything wrong in a sense. Everything he says is true, he just finds out so much about people that he can manipulate them. Surely Schuwald now knows the suspect Johann is the same Johann that works for him, after Richard dies and that criminal commits suicide. Whether or not Schuwald can do anything about it is another thing entirely. I wonder if Johann and the boy Richard killed knew each other at the orphanage, that would add another dimension to the story.
Apr 23, 2014 12:59 PM

Mar 2013
NOOOO he was a good man :c
Apr 28, 2014 10:21 PM

Dec 2012
"Is your world conquest coming along smoothly?" Glorious Johan, absolutely glorious coming from you.

Rosemary is so cute, my wishful thinking was that Richard would see her again but the deathflags were everywhere. So heartbreaking but also so ingenious on Johan's part. The moment he grinned and pulled out the whiskey, I was just like "oh my god no way...No way!...NO WAY!!!"

Guess it's on to Gillen and the old man next. Also the scene where the serial killer commit suicide was nuts, especially with the continuous "You should come too."
May 19, 2014 11:10 PM

Apr 2012
god damn Jugens killing himself with a pen was hardcore lol
Damn Johan can kill his victims mentally too D:.

Jun 3, 2014 8:17 PM

Feb 2012
johan's dialogue at the end clicked and related back to tenma. the detective killed the serial killer out of 511 kinderheim while sober as tenma plans (or at least i think?) to kill johan who was also in 511 kinderheim. yet johan worded it to make the detective the guilty one. i'm almost thinking the same could technically be said about tenma but there are some differences. the biggest being, tenma knows for a fact and has "confirmed" that johan is behind the murders. there might not be any relevance to that but the circumstances just seemed too similar to be coincidence/to not speculate.

i'm of the impression that the detective didn't die directly by johan's hands (gun). wish he didn't die though :/ now there's noone to pursue his case aside from maybe the old psychologistw/e guy. wondering if this setting is going to be linked back to tenma or if it's just building upon johan's story/character.
Jul 29, 2014 4:45 AM

Feb 2014
The big secret to breaking the rules is to make it look as though you're following them.
Aug 31, 2014 9:53 PM

Jan 2014
Hakuromatsu said:
19maria9 said:
This is just like a horror movie that doesn't make any sense.
I mean really? Why you would open the door? And then follow him to who knows where?

Because you're a detective that needs to know more about Johan and because you have the pride to say "that man can't hurt me."

To the viewer, it's a foregone conclusion that Richard was going to die, but to Richard himself -- hardly!

Exactly this. The only reason Richard died was because Johan was able to worm his way into his mind, which was likely the last thing Richard was expecting, considering he felt so confident in himself.
Sep 16, 2014 4:59 PM

May 2012
Wow... Johan is such a manipulator.
Sep 17, 2014 10:03 AM

Jul 2012
Did Richard kill that boy sober or was he drunk.......
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Oct 4, 2014 10:25 PM

Jan 2013
Damnit Richard.. you shouldn't have followed him... :(
CelsiaOct 4, 2014 10:44 PM
Oct 11, 2014 7:56 PM

Nov 2011
Keep in mind that people are more safety-conscious these days than they were in the late 90s. A killer of Johan's caliber would be nearly unheard of back then; it would be considered shocking even now. Given the situation, and that Richard likely didn't think Johan could/would kill him, his actions are justified by the historical norms of the time period.

Remember, there was a time when letting 8-year-olds run around everywhere was considered safe.

On another note, Johan seems a bit obsessed with children...
Dec 7, 2014 11:42 PM

Oct 2014
What a monster. :O
"Having someone saying you're okay as you are and being needed by that person... It was nice to have someone like that..." — Taiga Aisaka
Dec 22, 2014 5:20 PM

Aug 2014
Freaking brilliant ending. Killing someone just by breaking them by talking really proves how twisted Johan is.
Jan 3, 2015 2:51 PM

Dec 2013
Good one but still lacks Tenma.
Jan 6, 2015 9:00 AM

Apr 2010
Just smh at this episode
tsk tsk tsk
What a shame... A real shame
Jan 11, 2015 4:41 PM

Oct 2014
I fucking knew it I fucking knew that he's gonna commit suicide with that pen
Feb 1, 2015 9:36 PM

Nov 2013
The zetsubou was strong with this one.

So I'm assuming Johan manipulated Richard into killing himself? Man he is sick and twisted. I wonder why Johan brought that bottle of whiskey with him...

Poor man never got to see his daughter. I knew he was going to die when he kept getting excited about seeing his daughter.

Great episode. Really curious what's going to happen next.

8/10
FunnyRatmanFeb 1, 2015 9:39 PM

Feb 13, 2015 6:14 PM

Mar 2013
Wow, just wow... Johann can kill someone even not use a knife or a gun or something etc. Of course i am so sory for that detective. At least if he had seen his daughter but... brilliant, so brilliant. I was incredibly impressed !
Feb 15, 2015 11:00 AM

Nov 2014
Everyone knew Ritchard would die, and when he was so close to meet his daughter, I knew he won't! He'll die before that!
But this really upsets me, such a good detective -waaay better than Lungi- dies when he feels so miserable and worthless :/ I really hat Johan, I hate him more and more every second. The perfect villain he is.
Mar 29, 2015 8:14 AM
Nov 2014
God damn, knew Richard is fucked from last ep. He got too deep into the case of Johan :(

5/5 best episode so far.
Apr 18, 2015 10:52 PM

Feb 2015
Really liking that Johan is getting more screen time. The last scene was great.
Apr 20, 2015 3:44 PM

Mar 2014
I'm trying to decide whether Johan is badass or just an asshole.

I liked Richard... Well. Great episode.
Apr 20, 2015 3:47 PM

Feb 2015
Anneke said:
I'm trying to decide whether Johan is badass or just an asshole.

I liked Richard... Well. Great episode.

badass
Jul 16, 2015 6:47 AM

Jul 2014
holyshitholyshitholyshit

5/5
Aug 5, 2015 6:20 AM

Nov 2011
I sincerely hope Richard is still alive, more than his investigations i found myself being drawn more to his personal story and how he's desperately trying to put the past behind and see his daughter, if Johan did kill him, i will....

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Aug 30, 2015 4:13 AM

Dec 2013
Johan is insanely manipulative! Poor Richard :(
Aug 30, 2015 3:29 PM

Dec 2013
Almost like a Death God...
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Aug 30, 2015 4:59 PM

May 2012
as soon as i saw richard walking toward the gates at the beginning of last episode, i was like yep, thats a death flag, lol it seems i wasnt mistaken, and he almost figured it out, poor guy
Sep 19, 2015 12:44 AM

Dec 2009
Johan broke Richard mentally man. And I don't understand why people seem surprised that Johan was able to do so. It wasn't like Richard was 100% healed from his personal guilt. He was just getting better. Doesn't matter how smart you are, if you got a psychological weakness, a trauma that has been haunting you, and someone was able to exploit that really badly, then you can be broken.

I'm pretty sure Johan has the same thing that we have yet to find out about, and it'll probably be used against him later on.
Nov 30, 2015 9:08 AM

Nov 2014
I don't think that was his daughter, maybe it was one of the kids Johann takes care of. Just to add impact to his manipulation.

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

114 by egeD19 »»
Apr 17, 10:03 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

623 by Animequeen_xx »»
Apr 13, 5:54 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 11, 2008

134 by Ajanokoyna »»
Apr 13, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 55 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 15, 2008

70 by Dekuforce5 »»
Apr 13, 3:15 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 4, 2008

106 by wallus81 »»
Apr 8, 10:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.