Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Giant Killing
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 7, 2010 1:24 AM

Feb 2008
Haven't seen a football series since Captain Tsubasa, but I really liked the start of this show. It might be one of the better series of this season.
I guess my only complain would be the CGI, but I hope it'll only be used for the audience.
Apr 7, 2010 2:00 AM

Jul 2009
I really liked it.

I liked the style, the characters were good, and I'm interested in what happens next.

Powered by hinatachan - TaigaForum
Apr 7, 2010 2:29 AM

Nov 2008
Okay guys, FFFpeeps have subbed the first episode. Not exactly ideal, but better than nothing.

As a casual football (that's soccer for any Americans here) fan who has played some Football Manager, I liked the first episode.It was promising and I am looking forward to seeing more. Also, I have to say that Tatsumi is one eccentric manager/coach.

I might also check out the manga if there are lots of details lost in the adaptation (I have heard that this episode covers the first three chapters of the manga), but this is good enough to make me want to watch more.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Apr 7, 2010 3:37 AM

Feb 2008
Kagura89 said:
Good OP with Celtic tune.
Yeah, looks like they got some countries mixed up ^^

The Engrish at the beginning wasn't too bad, I could actually understand most of it, just needed to turn up the volume.

Anyway, nice first episode. I was ready to give up on it at half-time but the last five minutes really sold the show for me. The animation didn't really bother me, I noticed the crappy CGI but it that's what it takes to animate this show I'll deal, I'm not in it for animation anyway, I'm in it for story and awesome "tactics". Didn't know football could be sneaky, since a better team will usually just beat a worse one. Football can be unfair though, so I suppose Tatsumi will be manipulating chance?

I'm hoping this will be in the same vein as Akagi and Kaiji, since this is a seinen sports anime, am I hoping for too much?
Apr 7, 2010 4:21 AM

Apr 2009
As a fellow soccer fan, I really enjoyed this.
That Englishman sounds really familiar. Is he a commentator?

I'm really interested in how much Tatsumi's decisions will shape up ETU.
So far, I don't have much to complain about. I think the animation is fitting for a show like this

I might check out the manga since I'm hearing about all these details being lost in transition.
This might just inspire me to play soccer again, lols.
Apr 7, 2010 4:33 AM

Jun 2008
Ok that was a decent start to the show. Tatsumi will probably use some clever tactics.
I wonder if he made them run so much not only to see there speed but to also make the older players tired for the match with the younger guys.

The girls look really ugly and the noses of everyone are weird if you look at there face profile but i like that they look more manly with that design.
BTW why are they calling it soccer? I thought only Americans did because they call that rugby with armor sport of them as football. Didn't know Japanese got stacked with the American term. Maybe is the bases there and the Americans they have in Japan.
Apr 7, 2010 5:31 AM

Feb 2008
Monad said:
BTW why are they calling it soccer? I thought only Americans did because they call that rugby with armor sport of them as football. Didn't know Japanese got stacked with the American term. Maybe is the bases there and the Americans they have in Japan.
I don't think the Japanese even know...

J. League's title in romaji is Nippon Puro Sakkaa Riigu, yes, Nippon Pro Soccer League but the old Japanese Football league is and was called Nihon/Japan Futtobooru Riigu, Nihon Football League, go figure.

They have the terms amefuto and amerikanfuttobooru for American Football so I don't get it.

It does look like they're settling on soccer though, unfortunately. In the end, I think they just don't give a damn, like Americans.
kuroshiroiApr 7, 2010 6:17 AM
Apr 7, 2010 5:45 AM

Aug 2008
Channeling the spirit of a certain portugese manager methinks. The manager is the King? Mmhm-hmm...

I was actually expecting a lot better than what I got but it finally picked up in the last few minutes of the episode. I hope the show starts to excel when it gets to actual tactics and matches.
The Cart Driver <-- My awesome anime blog
Apr 7, 2010 6:12 AM

Jul 2009
I think i'm gonna enjoy this, especially with world cup just around the corner
Apr 7, 2010 6:27 AM

May 2007
watched the first ep I liked it can't wait for the next ep
“If you win, you live. If you lose, you die. If you don’t fight, you can’t win.”
Apr 7, 2010 6:35 AM

Apr 2009
I love it. In no small part due to the fact that I'm english and therefore the only sport I really care about.
Apr 7, 2010 7:34 AM

Aug 2008
Pretty good start, never really been a fan of series revolving around sports, but I do kinda like this one. Well, I guess being a soccer fan in the past did have some form of influence on me here...

I'm having quite a high expectation of this, since it is seinen after all.
Apr 7, 2010 9:15 AM

Mar 2009
This looks promising!
Apr 7, 2010 10:03 AM

Sep 2008
Damn that hot !
the most interesting 1st episode this season for me

and awwwwww Tatsumi surely looked like you-know-who.
Apr 7, 2010 10:09 AM

Dec 2007
fertygo said:

I don't know who. Who?

Tatsumi is such a promising character.
Apr 7, 2010 10:12 AM

Jan 2010
I done a quick review if anyone is skeptical of watching this series, im English and love football and this anime series is looking very good :). Also Tatsuki reminds me so much of GTO Onizuka type of character cant wait for more episodes xD
"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
Apr 7, 2010 10:20 AM

Dec 2007
Pretty weird character designs, but the story seems not like it fail. I'm sticking with this.
Apr 7, 2010 10:27 AM

Sep 2008
taterhead said:
fertygo said:

I don't know who. Who?

a certain man who proclaim he is a special one lol
Apr 7, 2010 10:29 AM

Feb 2008
taterhead said:

I don't know who. Who?

José Mourinho, the "Special One".
Apr 7, 2010 10:30 AM

Jan 2010
fertygo said:
taterhead said:
fertygo said:

I don't know who. Who?

a certain man who proclaim he is a special one lol

Well he shares the same style as Jose lol but Tatsumi is more like the "Lazy One"
Apr 7, 2010 11:04 AM

Sep 2008
yeah, because of that i can't wait someone make AMV with crossover of those two, after we get more episode :D
Apr 7, 2010 1:24 PM
Mar 2009
I really enjoyed the first episode. I'm a soccer fan (Benficaaaaaaaaaa) and I think this series have potential to be really really good.

I'm anxious for the 2nd episode to watch the game and the animation of it.
Apr 7, 2010 1:48 PM

Jan 2010
Gaarinas said:
I really enjoyed the first episode. I'm a soccer fan (Benficaaaaaaaaaa) and I think this series have potential to be really really good.

I'm anxious for the 2nd episode to watch the game and the animation of it.

Ah Benfica used to be the team i always followed in Portugal whenever i saw football there :) (Angel Di Maria FTW lol) I am anxious too about it i hope its not the dramatic style like in Goal (remember those poor films) but its hard to animate it without it unrealistic, lets hope its not too bad :)
Apr 7, 2010 2:56 PM

Mar 2009
Madhouse and intelligent sports anime and Tomokazu Seki, oh my. It's like Brits took Hajime no Ippo and possibly made it cooler. As long as it doesn't get carried away in theatrics and speeches about love of the sport.

EDIT: Getting confused. Even better, fresh blood. Equally good style.
senerikfredApr 7, 2010 3:01 PM
Apr 7, 2010 3:18 PM

Jun 2009
this anime looks good :p
ill watch the whole thing :3
Apr 7, 2010 3:23 PM

Feb 2009
OP/ED songs aren't bad.
No annoying characters found at first glance.
Tatsumi seems to be pretty interesting character,funny too.

8/10 for now...

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Apr 7, 2010 3:27 PM
Dec 2007
Okay, seems like there will be two great sports show this season (and they are the best two shows I've watched at the moment too). The atmosphere and spirit of football was really well depicted, the characters are cool (badass even for Tatsumi), the OP and ED are rocky as Hell, everything seems fairly realistic and mature enough for me. Simply a great start. Guess Carl Kimlinger described it quite accurately in his early review : "This is sports anime as it should be: smart, unpredictable, and aimed squarely at grown ups. ".

By the way, as we're talking football, I'm feeling a bit down tonight since my team Bordeaux just won the second leg of the Champion's League quarter finals but lost on aggregate to an extremely lucky Lyon team that didn't really deserve to qualify (thanks mainly to an incredible goalkeeper - thankfully he's also France's goalkeeper - and a huge mistake by the referee in the first leg). And that's quite sad. But well, our friends from Lyon will have a shot at defeating the Bayern in semi-finals so I wish them good luck :)

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 7, 2010 3:27 PM

Feb 2009
I'm not really a big fan of sport animes but I like watching football (what you call soccer in North America) and this show seems to be have the potential to be great. Plus I always love those shows with underdogs trying to take on giants. ^^

Celtic OP music is nice. Hooray for J-Punk as ED.
Apr 7, 2010 4:50 PM

Oct 2007
This might be one of the best first episode I have seen in this season that didn't include what I haven't seen yet.

Actually I was a bit down when i saw football at the beginning since I wasn't into it but after a couple minutes everything really pick up. Fairly good and interesting enough for me to want more.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Apr 7, 2010 5:16 PM

Aug 2009
Its great to have the coach as the main character and not the players. Put the game in a different perspective.
Apr 7, 2010 5:18 PM

Jan 2008
WTF!=(
They scrapped so much in the anime! I'm just gutted. So many fabulous jokes and scenes were just thrown away(the humor-part in anime is seriously lagging in the 1st ep). I can't believe they didn't include the first meeting between Tatsuo and Yuri("i'm a future-oriented person") or a scene in the car when Tatsuo actually remembered her("why did you have to remember THAT"). It was really nice and funny. I just don't get the animators/director. What possibly could be easier? Just follow the manga...
Also the animation is average at best, but that's kinda expected. Although they could have done a better Yuri design. Overall the series is ok, but could have been so much better really.
[Old School Anime Club]
Apr 7, 2010 5:41 PM

Sep 2008
@ardeur
maybe they will put that for flasback or sumthin like that...
but that cut help the pace of 1st episode, to be honest.
Apr 7, 2010 5:48 PM

Jul 2008
Hmmm they've watched Portsmouth v. East Ham and East Ham is the lower-league club lol

T'was based on West Ham, but became a team on some other town.

I'll be watching this since it's football, but I'm an Arsenal fan, we're the giants lol
Apr 7, 2010 6:12 PM

Dec 2007
I can definitely see this one having a great story, it sure has me hooked anyways. Too bad this episode was so poorly executed though...it could have been made so much better. To go along with that, minus points for the noticeably bad background music throughout.
Apr 7, 2010 6:17 PM

May 2008
anime already got me hooked, sport animes are awesome, intense action. Eyeshield 21 and Hajime no Ippo were epic winners. Lets see how this legend soccer anime get out.

ill minus some points for the graphics on female eyes. They seem corny

Apr 7, 2010 6:28 PM

Jan 2009
the only thing I don't like about this show is the way they draw some of the characters ( the woman and the coach's brother). but other than that I have no complaints. it's pretty good imo. I always like characters that have special strategy or unusual way to win over things. from my perspective (who had not read the manga), this show has a potential I may or may not continue watching it if they can keep this up.
Apr 7, 2010 8:27 PM

Aug 2009
Okay, just started watching the episode. The opening was killerrrrr.

What the hell? This English-accented man is the shittiest excuse for a voice actor. He's so monotone.

Alright, I'm sucked in. I just finished the episode. I dig the animation and art style sooooo much. Tatsumi is a total badass (there's always gotta be one badass character). I'm really looking forward to see how this show will turn out. I have a feeling Tatsumi is going to play some kickass mind games (very reminiscent of One Outs). We'll see. Great episode though! :D

Oh and the ending was sick, as well. I gotta check out this band.
Apr 7, 2010 8:58 PM

Dec 2008
Awesome! I was a bit dissapointed by the animation but it's clear that the producers made their research. FA Cup, some English Clubs similarities, the brittish english accent it's decently spoken; good production job.

The soundtrack it's appropiate and very pleasant. It's been a while since I watched a sport-football anime and by that, I don't even mean a decent one. Hope that the strategies are intelligent enough (One Outs) and that the anime doesn't dissapoint at the end.

EXTRA:
Jacut said:
By the way, as we're talking football, I'm feeling a bit down tonight since my team Bordeaux just won the second leg of the Champion's League quarter finals but lost on aggregate to an extremely lucky Lyon team that didn't really deserve to qualify (thanks mainly to an incredible goalkeeper - thankfully he's also France's goalkeeper - and a huge mistake by the referee in the first leg). And that's quite sad. But well, our friends from Lyon will have a shot at defeating the Bayern in semi-finals so I wish them good luck :)
I'm dissapointed at Man U's elimination as well. And, I too, feel that the opposite team (Bayern München) didn't deserve the win. Well put all fault on Rafael lol. Anyway Barsa or Inter will win the Champions League. Whoever denies this must be blind or it's simply stupid.

entropy13 said:
but I'm an Arsenal fan, we're the giants lol
After losing 4-1 (and the Arsenal's only goal was totally invalid due to a foul commited previously) to the greatest team in the world, Barcelona, you can be London giants. Actually Chelsea's on top at the moment so you'd be giants of... nowhere? Of your mind? lol
vault2049Apr 7, 2010 9:13 PM
Apr 7, 2010 9:25 PM

Jan 2010
I thought this show was about manly men and football, not that sissy footsie tootsie soccer stuff.

Dropped.
Ok™
Apr 7, 2010 9:42 PM

Mar 2008
I was pleasantly surprised by this episode. I'm not a big fan of sports anime, but this one caught my attention. The premise is interesting and I already want to know more about the characters. Looking forward to the rest!
Apr 7, 2010 10:15 PM
Dec 2007
The only thing it's missing is using this as the opening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X6YH04vj8I&;
Apr 7, 2010 10:23 PM

Sep 2008
This was actually really good. I was interested since Sports Animes always seem to be at least good and I haven't seen a soccer Anime before. I quite like the idea of this. The main character being a manager is interesting instead of him being the best player in the team. I don't like he character designs much and the animation seems like a mix of good and bad but the content seems like it will be quite enjoyable.
Apr 7, 2010 10:35 PM

Aug 2009
Wow, I'm so surprised this anime uses some real life English team names, and even mention the FA Cup and the Premiership.

And the main character is the manager of the team, instead of a player... Awesome, I'm totally hooked! :D
Apr 7, 2010 11:09 PM
Jul 2008
This is my first sports anime.

I love the art, it looks serious (they remind me of Kaji) with those noses xD

On some moments it was really slow, but I guess that's part of the first episode. Looking forward to see the result of a upcoming game ^^

GO FOOTBALL!!
Apr 8, 2010 1:01 AM

Mar 2009
lol man all i can say is "WOW"... such an interesting anime... i was seriously on the edge of my seat wanting to watch the second epi right as epi 1 ended. ^_^
K-ON v1.1 ... Please leave you comments on my profile! ^_^
Apr 8, 2010 2:39 AM

Mar 2008
I am not a big fan of sports anime, but they are not bad most of the time. This episode wasn't either. Good to see some mature characters for a change. Moreover since it's football I actually know the rules.

Might stick with it since I like the underdog setting and that badass main guy.

A little pearl between all those ecchi/harem/moe shows.
Apr 8, 2010 5:18 AM

Jan 2010
They left some stuff out from the manga, but still a good episode. Tatsumi does remind me of The Special One.

On that note, FORZA INTER!!!!! any other inter fans on here?
Apr 8, 2010 8:42 PM

Jun 2009
entropy13 said:
I'll be watching this since it's football, but I'm an Arsenal fan, we're the giants lol

Too bad my squad, Barça, knocked them out.

This seems interesting, being my first sports anime. Looking forward to the match in the next ep. Only hoping that this doesn't become very predictable. New coach goes to bad team, has tough time getting team on track, coach turns team around, team wins league title, end of anime.
Apr 9, 2010 2:32 AM

Jul 2008
well maybe this will be the eyeshield 21 of soccer
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Apr 9, 2010 4:23 AM

May 2008
This show looks epic woots

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 5 Discussion

throwaway513846 - May 2, 2010

45 by Dywei »»
Jan 28, 5:16 AM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 16 Discussion

helur - Jul 18, 2010

28 by cableguyjay »»
Sep 11, 2023 5:42 PM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 17 Discussion

BitchMaster - Jul 25, 2010

29 by tinker3bellz1 »»
Mar 19, 2023 10:04 PM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 19 Discussion

devilangell - Aug 8, 2010

38 by Shiroko_kun »»
Oct 7, 2022 12:15 PM

» Favorite club (other than ETU of course) and favorite player?

darthbarth - Jun 5, 2022

6 by awrup »»
Jul 12, 2022 4:07 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.