Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Apr 13, 2010 10:38 AM
Jul 2008
This gotta be interesting.
Apr 13, 2010 11:57 AM

Oct 2007
The jailor and the weird doctor are just despicable, that's it. The rest was nothing to special.

I mean even that spoiled brat of a girl is what you find everywhere even nowadays. People don't educate their shits properly.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 13, 2010 12:49 PM

Dec 2009
i thought the episode was just awesome. something different for this spring anime line up.
Apr 13, 2010 7:41 PM

Jan 2010
I don't know if I'm the only one, but this left me speechless and stunned, and as I watched this, my mouth was hanging open in shock.
I knew how jail was. I've had bad experiances with visiting. But, this was just so sad when you realize this is how jail truely works, no matter where you live. Jerk guards, and people pounding you all the time.
I bet I'll learn something from this anime. And i bet the show will be real entertaining.
Apr 13, 2010 10:34 PM

Jun 2008
nicoliolipoli said:
I don't know if I'm the only one, but this left me speechless and stunned, and as I watched this, my mouth was hanging open in shock.
I knew how jail was. I've had bad experiances with visiting. But, this was just so sad when you realize this is how jail truely works, no matter where you live. Jerk guards, and people pounding you all the time.
I bet I'll learn something from this anime. And i bet the show will be real entertaining.

You are not being realistic. Everything is depended on the conditions, the people and the place you are. Not all jails are like that and the dangers are different in each place, less or more.
There are jails where prisoners are just fine, there are jails where things maybe shit but for different reasons. In U.S and European jails the prisoners are more afraid of the other inmates instead of the guards. Especially in the US where gangs rule the jail system. In some European countries jail is very civilized compared to this.
The example we see here is a little more representative of what will happen to you if you are in the prison of some third world country.
Hell you don't even have to be in jail for similar shit to happen. My house when i was little came pretty close.
MonadApr 13, 2010 10:47 PM
Apr 14, 2010 12:02 AM

Sep 2008
I was a bit disappointed. The first few minutes seemed cool but it turned cheesy, emo and too over the top. Might stick to it to see if it goes in a different direction, although that's highly unlikely.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Apr 14, 2010 2:08 AM

Apr 2009
noteDhero said:
The over-the-topness of the guard also bothers me a bit. His design is so one-dimensional that I really hope there is something deeper than his assholeishness. Otherwise, he's only going to break the mood with every appearance in the show.

That I have to agree with.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Apr 14, 2010 4:33 AM

Jun 2009
eyerok said:
I was a bit disappointed. The first few minutes seemed cool but it turned cheesy, emo and too over the top. Might stick to it to see if it goes in a different direction, although that's highly unlikely.

you like gintama but not this...
Albert Einstein said:
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.

Neil deGrasse Tyson said:
For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.

Apr 14, 2010 1:38 PM

Jan 2010
Monad said:
nicoliolipoli said:

You are not being realistic. Everything is depended on the conditions, the people and the place you are. Not all jails are like that and the dangers are different in each place, less or more.
There are jails where prisoners are just fine, there are jails where things maybe shit but for different reasons. In U.S and European jails the prisoners are more afraid of the other inmates instead of the guards. Especially in the US where gangs rule the jail system. In some European countries jail is very civilized compared to this.
The example we see here is a little more representative of what will happen to you if you are in the prison of some third world country.
Hell you don't even have to be in jail for similar shit to happen. My house when i was little came pretty close.

I'm talking about the few jails I've visited.
Apr 14, 2010 7:46 PM

Sep 2008
Wow the first ep already touched me. I was in tears at the end.
So sad :(
This anime looks really promising :)
The description makes it seems like a true story. What do u guys think?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 14, 2010 9:16 PM
Aug 2009
Ecks_Ess said:
garfield15 said:
I could really use some lyrics to that OP.

It's in English but it's hard rock so I'm only making out like 10% of it. >,<

Sunlight was only the thing that felt right
Before I came here
But inside it feels like it keeps raining
And every drop is like the tears we could cry
Because this time we were all alone
But this place gave us something
This home will make us strong
There's a place inside this world
Where hopes and dreams are not yet lost
We'll stand as one against these walls
We'll fight this fight forever more
If there's a place inside this world
Where we must go back to once more
Until the day
We find that place
We're not alone

If I'm wrong, please help correct me.

My Version:

Sunlight was the only the thing that felt right
Before I came here
But inside it feels like it keeps raining
And every drop is like the tears we couldn't grab
Because inside, we were all alone
But this place gave us something
That something made us strong
There's a place inside this world
Where hopes and dreams are not yet lost
We'll stand as one against these walls
We'll fight this fight forever more
If there's a place inside this world
Where we must go back to once more
Until the day
We find that place
We're not alone
Apr 15, 2010 12:51 AM

Sep 2008
fuwa-fuwa said:
eyerok said:

you like gintama but not this...

lol..thats harsh Fuwa-fuwa. I've only started watching GIntama. The first two eps were OK but I loved the Gintama jump festa OVA. I still haven't made up my mind on the show though. Same with rainbow...I didn't like the first ep but I'll stick to it for a while to see if its my cup of tea or not
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Apr 15, 2010 4:43 AM

Nov 2007
This anime represents a desperate war time, cool.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Apr 15, 2010 11:20 PM
Jul 2008
Amazing 1st episode.I love all the characters and the dark setting of the show.
That scene with the doll and the child made me feel very empathic toward the Joe.
Any anime hasn't done that in a while.
Apr 16, 2010 12:41 AM

Dec 2008
Terrible.

Awful emocore opening crap soured it for me from the start, and the whole episode was completely stupid, over the top bullshit.

Dropped!
Apr 16, 2010 1:11 AM

Nov 2008
antitype said:
Terrible.

Awful emocore opening crap soured it for me from the start, and the whole episode was completely stupid, over the top bullshit.

Dropped!

I know what you mean.
Apr 16, 2010 4:15 AM
Jan 2009
Really enjoying it so far. The second half of the episode was great. But, yeah, the emocore opening song was an unpleasant surprise.
Apr 16, 2010 1:41 PM

Apr 2009
Awesome anime
Apr 16, 2010 3:18 PM

Jul 2009
This rainbow is......

...... Me liek ~

Hope for more surprise buttsekz next time too.....

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Apr 16, 2010 3:58 PM

Jul 2009
I have to say Im extremely impressed.
It started out beautifully, with the narrator's soft voice,
telling you..luring you into the anime a bit with her description
of the events.

Then it only got better, with the opening.
The music was perfect~!
I loved how they didnt soften anything up for you,
they taught you alot about life as it is back then in that era.

And then the meeting up with Sakuragi was epic.

So to conclude my rant X'D I have to say this is definitely going
to be a favorite anime. Im already quite in love with it!

>> I have to say though, I was really annoyed with everyone complaining on the other websites and blogs on how "violent" and "gritty" and "gruesome" it is.
Its realistic, and Dear God, we all know this is not the first anime with violent scenes and gore (Higurashi Anyone?). I think it was great that they even put a warning label in the beginning..so no surprises, right? And where is everyone getting this "emocore" nonsense about? Relax, if the opening rots for you, dont let it ruin the whole entire episode.

But whatever, to each his own.
5 stars from me.
Any objections?
JigokuTenshiApr 16, 2010 4:01 PM
Apr 16, 2010 4:13 PM

Jul 2009
Cenedess said:
Wetpantsu said:
That. Was. Goood. The OP alone left me blown. This show has potential. Bro's GAR.
SunyiNyufi said:
And I'm espacially happy that they cut the doctor's "inspection" short...that was pretty disturbing in the manga.
OH SHI-

I just had to check that out ;A;

Oh dear God, I did too x_____x

>____>''''' Me too...I couldnt resist the temptation...but now I wish I did.
But heyyy, Im a yaoi fan..SOOO nothin' I aint seen before... X'DDD
Apr 16, 2010 4:46 PM

Jun 2009
BitchMaster said:
This rainbow is......

...... Me liek ~

(I lol'd) Me too, me too~ xD
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Apr 16, 2010 11:54 PM

Sep 2008
antitype said:
Terrible.

Dropped!

well I actually liked the opening, but I agree with the rest of your post
Apr 17, 2010 1:32 AM

Dec 2007
looks good so far. Will contiue watching this I just hope it doesn't get too depressing.
Apr 18, 2010 1:09 PM
May 2008
Started off well, but kind of lost me by the end. Hopefully, it will pick up within a few episodes.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Apr 18, 2010 5:43 PM

Jun 2009
Wow, that was not bad at all.
Apr 22, 2010 11:40 AM
Nov 2007
Maximatum99 said:
antitype said:
the whole episode was completely stupid, over the top bullshit.

Maximatum99 said:
Favorite anime:
Tengen Toppen Gurren Lagann
Apr 23, 2010 3:07 PM

Jun 2008
antitype said:
Terrible.

Dropped!

seconded

I'm really surprised at how much praise this is getting.
Apr 23, 2010 8:25 PM

Feb 2009
All the rubbish of this season almost made me miss that pearl!

First thing is showing who is the boss, tch man.

This kinda of story just reminds us of flawed society is, everyone is born free these so called correctional institutions are a joke! When someone came out of jail they are even worse as when they got in.

I think this guard isn't very smart, I mean when you dealing with people who have lost everything your life isn't that precious to them. (I would drop that bastard in a heartbeat if I could get away with it.)

I wonder how many people is going to cry they eyes out before that series is over?
Apr 23, 2010 11:38 PM

Jul 2007
whoa, sodomized right off the bat and the way the old doctor looked at Joe can't be good.

Well, looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.
Apr 28, 2010 12:57 AM

Mar 2007
kashim said:
llamaben said:
The OP is amazing... I had high expectations from Coldrain, but it blew those expectations away.

Couldn't really understand too much watching it raw, except that I'll love the anime.

Yup, great opening sequence. A promising start to a very gritty series, no moeblob here, folks.

Yeah but alot of lame fighting accompanied with stupid attempts at kicking and screaming.
Stupid fight scene... "lets all just fight the BOXER one on one!" give me a fucking break. Oh and all their crimes with the exception of the "graphic flashbacks" Are laughable at best. Underage Drinking? Dine and dash? Beating up a teacher? After they showed me that flashback i was sure some of them killed but thats not the case.
Well dark anime are still fun to watch in their own right so I'll give this a shot. WHY DO THEY YELL SO GODDAMN MUCH.

If this turns into Hajime no Ippo meets prison break im going to scream.

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Apr 28, 2010 3:39 AM

Sep 2008
Ranivus said:
kashim said:
llamaben said:
The OP is amazing... I had high expectations from Coldrain, but it blew those expectations away.

Couldn't really understand too much watching it raw, except that I'll love the anime.

Yup, great opening sequence. A promising start to a very gritty series, no moeblob here, folks.

Yeah but alot of lame fighting accompanied with stupid attempts at kicking and screaming.
Stupid fight scene... "lets all just fight the BOXER one on one!" give me a fucking break. Oh and all their crimes with the exception of the "graphic flashbacks" Are laughable at best. Underage Drinking? Dine and dash? Beating up a teacher? After they showed me that flashback i was sure some of them killed but thats not the case.
Well dark anime are still fun to watch in their own right so I'll give this a shot. WHY DO THEY YELL SO GODDAMN MUCH.

If this turns into Hajime no Ippo meets prison break im going to scream.

LMAO post of the freakin week!!
Apr 28, 2010 3:49 AM

Dec 2009
Now that's different from all anime i've seen... so far nice start, and i can't wait to see why the doctor's acting all nice an warm and what does he "need the kids" for...
May 1, 2010 7:53 PM

Oct 2009
Amazing.
May 2, 2010 4:35 PM

Mar 2009
Definitely one of the better, more serious animes being released recently. I have high hopes for this one!
May 2, 2010 5:54 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
very emo.

other than that, definitely stands out....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
May 14, 2010 3:56 AM

Feb 2009
I loved the first episode, this will be a very interesting series, looking forward to the rest.

Something tells me it will be a very powerful anime.
Jun 6, 2010 5:54 AM

Apr 2010
---------------------------------- -- --

Tche i don't feel this anime<<<< .... so boring.. T_t
Jun 27, 2010 7:28 PM

Mar 2010
seems promising hope it does fail

"I am the bone of my sword,
Steel is my body and Fire is my blood,
I have created over a thousand blades,
Unknown to Death,
Nor known to Life,
Have withstood pain to create many weapons,
Yet, those hands will never hold anything,
So as I pray, unlimited blade works"
Jul 16, 2010 9:31 PM

Feb 2010
Very interesting show. The Opening definitely fits the theme of this anime. Looking forward to more :D
Jul 28, 2010 7:39 AM

Dec 2008
OMG!! My jaw was dropped in amazement from the very beginning of this episode. All I can say is WOW!!

1 ep in and I'm already hoping for the slow painful death of Inspector Ishihara. I think Dr. Sasaki (fucking pervert) really enjoyed doing those rectal exams with a glass rod. *screaming painfully from the thought*

Marry me, Sakuragi Rokurouta...<3
Sep 3, 2010 12:02 PM

Mar 2010
I was saying " i 'll watch Rainbow some other time", again and again..I'm so happy i finally started it..It looks like those rare anime that hook you up from the first episode, not because they are funny or full of action, but because they really touch your heart..
akromataofSep 3, 2010 12:08 PM
Oct 9, 2010 6:11 AM
Jan 3, 2011 8:02 PM

Dec 2008
I was intrigued after reading about this in OtakuUSA and was never sure when and if I'd even get around to it. Started it on a whim. Exceedingly happy that I did.

Wow, my heart was racing and aching watching this. There's some strong, powerful emotion embedded in this. And it's a nice change. It's gruesome and dark and doesn't hold anything back about the truth to it's audience, and makes it clear up front. There is a ray of hope, but in such a dark, dirty, fucked up place... it becomes questionable if that can remain so strong.

I have to keep going. <333
Jan 26, 2012 12:45 PM

May 2011
This show... I will watch.

It's wretched cops like those that make me want to become a cop, a true cop.

Sakuragi, you will make this show.
Jun 2, 2012 9:06 PM

Nov 2011
The OP song of this series is stunning, the fight scenes are great, the realism of reality is there. I'm fucking loving this series already.
Jul 1, 2012 9:51 PM

Jun 2009
Very impressive first episode. I'll say that Sakuragi obviously stands out the most so far and has the makings of a great character (that awesome voice doesn't hurt, either). A few people talked about the censoring of the "inspection" scene, but to me it was pretty disturbing anyway.

Will continue.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 8, 2012 5:29 AM

Mar 2010
this is amazing
great OP
Jan 3, 2013 11:09 PM

Dec 2012
This looks like it will be a great anime. The doctor obviously cannot be trusted.
"When life gives you lemons, make orange juice, then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it."
Feb 27, 2013 9:57 PM

Sep 2011
I'm really liking it so far, hopefully it could it up! OP is awesome as well. =p
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

DrRoboto - Jul 20, 2010

79 by Gabi15 »»
Apr 19, 12:29 PM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

shanimebib - Jun 22, 2010

182 by AnimeDownUnder »»
Mar 22, 6:06 AM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Florete - Sep 28, 2010

220 by prozyne »»
Mar 6, 9:10 PM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tomimi - Jul 6, 2010

111 by prozyne »»
Mar 4, 12:10 AM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ShanaFlame - May 5, 2010

150 by Dywei »»
Jan 26, 7:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.