Forum Settings
Forums
New
How would you rate this character?
Apr 2, 2010 9:43 AM

Feb 2008
Spotlight Character: Eva Heinemann (Monster)

MAL Character Information Page: Eva Heinemann

MAL Favorites: 10

For the next week I would like to have everyone familiar with this character discuss what they think makes it an exceptional character. What attributes make it stand out in the ocean of interesting characters that exist in the realms of anime and manga.

Unlike the other two subjects I will not force this conversation to fall into any set structure. Characters that are nominated typically get here because they are adept at breaking the existing character moulds and defying definition.

Because of this freedom I encourage everyone to do their very best to stay on topic and keep any and all debate civil. Have fun and I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say about this character.

*Due to voting rule changes, this character is shot down from its first poll data. It is now available as a resurrection option.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Eva Heinemann was inducted into the club Character list:
26 Yes - 72.2%
10 No - 27.7%

12 Don't know this character - 22.6% of the total number polled
15 Abstained - 28.3% of the total number polled

On 10/08/10 Eva Heinemann will be voted on for a second and final time
Dark-EvolutionNov 6, 2010 8:33 PM
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 2, 2010 10:34 AM

Aug 2008
A loathsome prostitute woman. As is common in anime, even her face matches her character and personality. Don't you just want to punch her face in and light her on fire with your mind? X3

Sleeping with Tenma just to secure her place in elite society made her a prostitute of the lowest order to me.

I know she develops as a character, which is why I voted 2 instead of 1. She must not be forgiven!!! Too bad Tenma was too kind to really let her have it.

If you're stingy then click on CLuClu!
Please consider supporting the end of disenfranchisement on MAL.
Purpose is subjective, therefore quality is subjective.
Apr 2, 2010 12:19 PM

Dec 2007
Even though she has major development as human being and as character, being extremelly well designed and serving major purposes in the story I still feel like her introduction on the later part of the series was kind of forced.

Plus,

I'm thorn.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Apr 2, 2010 12:44 PM

Mar 2008
She's a main character from Monster, what's there to debate?
Apr 2, 2010 1:25 PM

Aug 2008
One of my favorite female characters of all time. I may have to replace her with Fredericka Greenhill, because every time I think of the character, I love her more. Her development is quite stunning compared to the main characters (and I do consider her a supporting character), and there were many times where I felt her presence and development made the show twice as enjoyable.
Apr 2, 2010 2:57 PM

Nov 2007
i kinda hastily placed a vote on "I do not know this character"
then i realized her being from monster. will give a 2 or less mayb.. got none more to say.

Apr 2, 2010 6:28 PM

Oct 2008
noteDhero said:
One of my favorite female characters of all time. I may have to replace her with Fredericka Greenhill, because every time I think of the character, I love her more. Her development is quite stunning compared to the main characters (and I do consider her a supporting character), and there were many times where I felt her presence and development made the show twice as enjoyable.

agreed completely
Apr 2, 2010 9:58 PM

Aug 2008
Rolled a die, came up heads, voting yes.
Apr 3, 2010 12:17 AM

May 2009
Daisuki-chan said:
A loathsome prostitute woman. As is common in anime, even her face matches her character and personality. Don't you just want to punch her face in and light her on fire with your mind? X3

Sleeping with Tenma just to secure her place in elite society made her a prostitute of the lowest order to me.

I know she develops as a character, which is why I voted 2 instead of 1. She must not be forgiven!!! Too bad Tenma was too kind to really let her have it.

Funny, thats why i'm going to vote yes. The fact she was willing to do pretty much whatever she needed to so she could obtain what she wanted while not being the main 'villain' of the series as well as her development was very nicely handled and seemed to be quite realistic.
Dark_PuddlesApr 3, 2010 12:26 AM
Apr 3, 2010 11:43 AM

Aug 2008
I wouldn't induct reality into the club relations as "exemplary", either. ;p

bbobjs said:
Rolled a die, came up heads, voting yes.

Six sides, all heads? ;p

Apr 3, 2010 2:01 PM

Apr 2009
I am in conflict! I loved her development and role in Monster..
But I still didn't like her afterwards. My vote is leaning towards a potential yes though.
Apr 3, 2010 2:13 PM

Aug 2008
I'll take this time to say how I view an exemplary character: If by the end of the show I feel strongly about them, one way or the other (love or hate), then it's a character worth considering. I loved to hate Eva in Monster. While watching the show, every appearance she made, I thought to myself, "how's this hot mess of a bitch going to fuck things up?" And she always delivered in the most deliciously selfish ways.

I will say, though, that I totally understood every single one of her actions, and especially after finding a moment's worth of happiness with that one guy with the daughter, I started to fall in love with her. That's why when I look back at the show, am reminded of how entertaining she was while serving very specific purposes throughout, without feeling like she was a tool by Urasawa to shake things up every few episodes, I only see her as the perfect supporting character.

She's beaten Fredericka now. I've convinced myself.
Apr 3, 2010 2:25 PM

Dec 2007
That's precisely why I'm thorn.

While hating her, I don't feel she was needed and I think that all her actions could have easily been replaced without picking her up from the dust.
ladyxzeusApr 4, 2010 7:14 AM
Apr 3, 2010 4:11 PM

Feb 2008
noteDhero said:
hot mess of a bitch

Honestly, need anything more be said?
Well, perhaps that, apart from being hot, being a mess and being a bitch, she's also almost continuously aware of it, consciously choosing to pursue something, to mess up her own life and to try and make amends. I don't think there's a single time she grasps around blindly or stumbles into something without knowing what it is unless a situation is forced upon her from the outside.
Eva Heinemann is perhaps the best supporting character out there, always trying to gobble up the spotlight when appearing - as per her role - and often succeeding, yet at the same time having enough sense to notice how important she in truth is.

As for ladyxzeus's last comment: no, you're right, she wasn't really needed, just like, say, the entire Munich arc could have been done without introducing most of the new characters. In Eva's case, the choice was made to have her return and show what happened in the meanwhile. In a way, in doing so, it was emphasised how much time had gone by (as the series plays over a longer stretch of time than most do) and what had changed. Of course, her being acquainted with Tenma and becoming acquainted with some of his own acquaintances (this is one of those cases where Monster stretches plausibility, yes) adds some possibilities for quickening the pace and not having to introduce yet another character. Especially later on, using her instead of someone new is a good method to not disturb the pacing.
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Apr 4, 2010 6:53 AM

Dec 2007
Daisuki-chan said:

This is what i was talking about in the Chidori-thread. You attack her as a person instead of a character. I personally think that managing to make someone this despicable and yet so realistic is a testament to how well written she is.

ladyxzeus said:
I don't feel she was needed and I think that all her actions could have easily been replacing without picking her up from the dust.

I don't see how that matters. What matters to me when it comes to a well written character is his/her personality and reactions to what happens around him/her. A character is independent from the story so to speak.

Later in the series i was always entranced by Eva. I never knew what she was going to do. I could see her being torn between her emotions/selfishness and her love for Tenma and whatever morals she had. Just by being there she amped up the excitement of Monster at least to some degree.
Apr 4, 2010 8:03 AM

Aug 2008
Daisuki-chan said:
I wouldn't induct reality into the club relations as "exemplary", either. ;p

Well-written but vile is just not good enough to me.

Apr 5, 2010 8:11 AM

Jan 2010
Despite her self-loathing, self-pity and extreme selfishness, I can't help but rejoice every time she enters the screen. Although hating her at first, i slowly started sympathizing with her despite my best efforts. I'm not at all sure whether it's because she's just insanely well-written, or because she loves Tenma in her own way or it's simple because she's pitiful, powerless to change that which makes her unhappy and set on a course of depravation that serves to soothe her soul, but at the same time keeps her in a miserable state.

Either way, it's a perfect 10 for me. Of course I've only watched 39 episodes so far, so it might all change once i finish it some time this week.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that simply voting no because the character invokes hatred or similar emotions due to his/her actions seems less than optimal, because the fact that the character is able to do just that, is often a testament of great character design.
CalumetApr 5, 2010 8:23 AM

Apr 5, 2010 2:02 PM

Aug 2008
Stabbing me in the chest would invoke hatred too, but I wouldn't deem it exemplary. ;p

Apr 5, 2010 3:11 PM

Jul 2008
Daisuki-chan has persuaded me to vote yes.
Apr 5, 2010 3:26 PM

Aug 2008
;p

Anyway, a good character can be as evil, stupid, or flawed as one likes, yet will remain someone desirable (or valuable, if you like) to experience. I imagine this is the case for the masochistic high voters in the poll, but I found her to be a negative addition to the anime. I'll vote yes for the even more selfish or "evil" Hisoka, but not for Eva.

Dozer said:
She's a main character from Monster, what's there to debate?

Tenma, Johan, Runge, and Nina are the only characters I can accept as main in Monster, and I don't vote yes just because of any series, anyway. I believe you probably meant that Monster is flawless and that padding filling the relation list with its characters is thus only right, but I ended up being more neutral towards Monster than that, although I therefore in exchange value other things.

Apr 5, 2010 5:02 PM

Jul 2008
Hisoka is a generic, stereotypical anime villain with homosexual undertones and a hidden agenda, I've never seen one of those before :rolls eyes:

There is nothing good, unique or even interesting about him.
You need to lay off you damn HxH wank.
Apr 5, 2010 8:04 PM

Aug 2008
Daisuki-chan said:
Six sides, all heads? ;p
Snake eyes actually
Apr 5, 2010 8:39 PM

Aug 2008
AfterGlow said:

This club wanks LOGH and Monster, so why shouldn't I wank HxH? You're free to wank mindfuck anime if you like, too. :)

bbobjs said:
Daisuki-chan said:
Six sides, all heads? ;p
Snake eyes actually

What made up the rest of the head?

Apr 5, 2010 11:22 PM

Aug 2008
Actually I found out the hard way how not free to wank you actually are, true story.
Apr 6, 2010 1:56 AM

Jul 2008
Daisuki-chan said:
AfterGlow said:

This club wanks LOGH and Monster, so why shouldn't I wank HxH? You're free to wank mindfuck anime if you like, too. :)

Why the hell would i wank anything? Especially any mediocre shonen with subpar drawings and characters?
That would completely contradict the purpose of this club and wouldn't make me fit to be a member.
Apr 6, 2010 8:57 AM

Aug 2008
Ok. Let's stay on track. This spotlight is about Eva Heinemann. So if the conversation is going to involve other characters, let's please make sure it has something to do with the spotlight at hand.
Apr 6, 2010 9:37 AM

Feb 2009
Eva is a well-designed hateful character. She's one of the rare characters that I dislike the same way I might dislike a real person. She deserves to be on the relations list in my opinion.

Apr 6, 2010 2:23 PM

Aug 2008
bbobjs said:
Actually I found out the hard way how not free to wank you actually are, true story.

:O

AfterGlow said:
Why the hell would i wank anything? Especially any mediocre shonen with subpar drawings and characters?
That would completely contradict the purpose of this club and wouldn't make me fit to be a member.

How can appreciating (which you call wanking when you oppose it) Hunter x Hunter completely contradict the purpose of this club (maybe you see a different purpose than me, though) when it's permanently inducted here?

noteDhero said:
Ok. Let's stay on track. This spotlight is about Eva Heinemann. So if the conversation is going to involve other characters, let's please make sure it has something to do with the spotlight at hand.

I mentioned Hisoka to compare him to Eva, as they have similar "ethical status" to me, but I will vote for him and not her. AfterGlow mentioned everything he considered bad about him and nothing I consider good, but didn't like that I (probably, from his perspective) did the same thing to Eva. Anyway, I find that to be rather unfair.

kokuro said:
Eva is a well-designed hateful character. She's one of the rare characters that I dislike the same way I might dislike a real person. She deserves to be on the relations list in my opinion.

I've experienced so many hateful characters, and most real people are simple enough in various ways to lead me to believe that thousands or millions of "clones" of these characters actually exist, so I don't find Eva to be very special. Oh well for me, though. ;p

Apr 7, 2010 12:23 AM

Aug 2008
@ Daisuki-chan: The point I think AfterGlow is trying to make is that none of us should be "wanking" anything; there's already a club for that (http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=1467).

Anyway as it stands your best argument against Eva is that she's not special because 'thousands or millions of "clones"' of her are likely to actually exist. Otherwise your argument against her is "I don't like her."

If it's nothing more than not liking her then you should REALLY REALLY consider doing the mature thing and abstaining.

If it's actually that you think she's not very unique and that the world is ripe with clones of her then you know what, I'll take that bet. MAL lists 30,000ish characters but I suspect that you can't even find 15 characters (fictional or otherwise) in any format that could be considered "clones" of Eva. If you can find 10 I'll abstain, if you can find 15 I'll actually change my vote to "no" but when you can't even find 5 I hope you'll do the mature thing and at least abstain. Just to be clear, for this bet "clone" means they could step into monster and fill Eva's role without requiring any other alterations to Monster (aside from possible compensations for physical appearance differences).

@ Actual Topic: One reason I have for voting for her that no one touched on yet is that she is one of the few (only) Anime Characters I've seen existing in a believable state of "tipsy."
Apr 7, 2010 1:25 AM

Aug 2008
"Wank" was clearly only meant to apply (with its negative connotation) when AfterGlow disagreed. Instead of criticizing him for being somewhat hostile I implied that everybody "wanks" from someone's perspective.

The mature thing? Voting no isn't against the rules. It would be immature if I was going to vote no just to oppose you, but as the first replier in this thread that sort of thing seems extremely unlikely. I can't consider this club truly mature until it treats all incomplete manga fairly, anyway. ;p

Your challenge is not practical. Not only am I unable to watch around tens of thousands of episodes of anime and read around as many volumes of manga overnight to learn about every MAL character, but no matter who I found you could just disagree with me if you wanted, anyway. Most of the time you wouldn't even have to actively disagree, either, since you wouldn't know the character, and it wouldn't make sense to take my word for it. Besides that, just being rare doesn't make something good. I imagine characters like Eva don't exactly draw in the largest crowds and thus stacks of cash, so of course she wouldn't be as common as many other character types.

I hope Dieter doesn't eventually make it in, anyway. X3

Apr 7, 2010 2:45 AM

Aug 2008
Simply because everyone wanks, it doesn't mean they should.

True, there are no rules requiring you to cast a justified vote. That's why I'm challenging you to do the mature thing. If you are voting for/against characters/anime/manga simply because you like/dislike them, then you're not considering quality and you're really not assisting the club with its goal. If everyone were to (does?) vote like that then this club would be nothing more than a local level popularity contest. Maybe you do have a really good valid reason for voting "no" and if you do then I hope you vote "no" but first ask yourself, do you? Do you REALLY have a reason beyond personal preference?

This club does treat incomplete manga fairly. Originally there was no rule against nominating incomplete manga, that was changed. Now all nominations for incomplete manga are considered void. The change says nothing about voting on incomplete manga. There was another change that allowed legitimate votes to be cast for characters based on their appearance in incomplete manga. In this case as well no ex post facto is applied.

The challenge actually allows you to use anyone from anything. Fictional character or real person, I don't care. I'll do the research for myself if you manage to find more than 9. I suppose this ends up precluding real people with 0 or near 0 fame but then again I'm only asking for 15 rather than the 2,000-2,000,000+ you claim should exist. If they're close I'll at least abstain.
Apr 7, 2010 8:03 AM

Jul 2008
bbobjs said:

True, there are no rules requiring you to cast a justified vote. That's why I'm challenging you to do the mature thing. If you are voting for/against characters/anime/manga simply because you like/dislike them, then you're not considering quality and you're really not assisting the club with its goal. If everyone were to (does?) vote like that then this club would be nothing more than a local level popularity contest. Maybe you do have a really good valid reason for voting "no" and if you do then I hope you vote "no" but first ask yourself, do you? Do you REALLY have a reason beyond personal preference?

And yes, this is what I hate when a fairly small group of people are fans and thus are wanking something that is rater crappy just because they happen to like it, not because of any quality, and the majority of people haven't seen it (since they aren't fans) which blindsides the club in to inducting utter crap like HxH OVA.
Only the fans have seen it, all the fans vote yes.

Lay off the God damn wank, just because you happen to like HxH doesn't mean every OVA as well as it's crappy, one-dimensional characters should be nominated/inducted.

If I happen to like an anime, RahXephon for instance, I'm not going to wank it by nominating the series, the OAV, the movie and the characters.

And to spout some retarded crap about Eva is a clone of thousands of characters, and not being able to give even one example of a character she is a clone of, while saying you'll vote yes on Hisoka, who by all accounts is a shounen cliché just proves how incredibly biased you are.
Apr 7, 2010 10:05 AM

Feb 2009
Daisuki-chan said:

kokuro said:

I've experienced so many hateful characters, and most real people are simple enough in various ways to lead me to believe that thousands or millions of "clones" of these characters actually exist, so I don't find Eva to be very special. Oh well for me, though. ;p

Well most of the hateful characters in anime are too one dimensional for me to believe in them as real characters. I might hate/like them but not as a person but a characteristic. Many of them are just evil and nothing else. They lack a sense of reality and never show different sides to them. In case of Eva, however, I could feel her as a real person. She has many sides to her just like a normal human being and therefore is well-designed in my opinion. Of course you're entitled to your opinion but i thought it's better to clear my point. Thanks for reading.
kokuroApr 7, 2010 7:34 PM

Apr 7, 2010 4:35 PM

Aug 2008
bbobjs said:

I said "that everybody "wanks" from someone's perspective". AfterGlow is not God, so why should I care what he thinks of HxH?

bbobjs said:

You haven't explained how it's mature. You do like applying words or phrases with negative connotations to me (lacking integrity, hypocritical, not mature, etc.), though. From my perspective all that does is cause me to see you as intolerant of my worldview, though.

This club is already a popularity contest in a sense to me. Things need a 7:3 yes:no popularity ratio to be inducted here. Anything not very commonly highly valued here is rejected.

I don't have a good reason from your perspective, of course. I also don't care about that at all. ;p Voting based on how much you directly liked something rather than voting based on only how much you indirectly liked it due to valuing it isn't against the rules. I just harmonize what I value with what I directly like, as it's more efficient and honest to me. You're free to complicate your decisions and/or their "justifications" as you wish, but do you really need to look down on and put down others with different systems?

bbobjs said:
This club does treat incomplete manga fairly. Originally there was no rule against nominating incomplete manga, that was changed. Now all nominations for incomplete manga are considered void. The change says nothing about voting on incomplete manga. There was another change that allowed legitimate votes to be cast for characters based on their appearance in incomplete manga. In this case as well no ex post facto is applied.

Ex post facto doesn't matter here, as the manga have no feelings nor rights. What matters to me is the club appearing fair in general, and that it being more fair would be preferable to me (and others). Some incomplete manga being advantaged, even for years (were this issue not corrected), while the rest are fully disadvantaged is arbitrary to me. Ex post facto matters in the legal system, but not here, where the "victim" is not hurt in the least.

bbobjs said:
The challenge actually allows you to use anyone from anything. Fictional character or real person, I don't care. I'll do the research for myself if you manage to find more than 9. I suppose this ends up precluding real people with 0 or near 0 fame but then again I'm only asking for 15 rather than the 2,000-2,000,000+ you claim should exist. If they're close I'll at least abstain.

It doesn't matter; it would still be a lot of work just to change your vote. Even if everyone would change their votes it would be a lot of work. You (and especially everyone) wouldn't even have to agree with me, since we don't think identically. My issue is just that rare doesn't necessarily mean good to me. Good things are often rare, but rare things are often not good, too. As I said, it makes sense that Eva clones aren't all over the place, as they won't bring in as much money as other character types will. If you value (desire the existence of, find to have worth to you, etc.) Eva's implementation as a character enough more than you dislike her, feel free to vote yes, regardless of what I might say or do. I'll be voting no, of course.

AfterGlow said:
And yes, this is what I hate when a fairly small group of people are fans and thus are wanking something that is rater crappy just because they happen to like it, not because of any quality, and the majority of people haven't seen it (since they aren't fans) which blindsides the club in to inducting utter crap like HxH OVA.
Only the fans have seen it, all the fans vote yes.

Several CnC inductions have fairly small groups of fans, even for here. I haven't seen many inductions where most people knew the items since I joined, either. HxH and its OVAs aren't "rater crappy", even for this club. Believe it or not, not every induction here is even rated eight or above! Not only the fans have seen it. You watched enough of it just so you could vote no, didn't you? Also, not all fans voted yes. HxH OVA actually had a lower yes:no ratio than HxH did.

AfterGlow said:
Lay off the God damn wank, just because you happen to like HxH doesn't mean every OVA as well as it's crappy, one-dimensional characters should be nominated/inducted.

Every currently existing OVA is worth nominating to me. I've only nominated two HxH characters, and probably won't be nominating Gon or especially Kurapika or Leorio, who are the rest of the main characters.

AfterGlow said:
If I happen to like an anime, RahXephon for instance, I'm not going to wank it by nominating the series, the OAV, the movie and the characters.

Yet you accuse me of this even though there's no evidence. I love the Utena movie, but I didn't "wank" and vote yes for the series.

AfterGlow said:
And to spout some retarded crap about Eva is a clone of thousands of characters, and not being able to give even one example of a character she is a clone of, while saying you'll vote yes on Hisoka, who by all accounts is a shounen cliché just proves how incredibly biased you are.

You probably didn't understand what I wrote. I said that "most real people are simple enough in various ways to lead me to believe that thousands or millions of "clones" of these characters actually exist". Real people. Actually exist. Characters aren't real people and don't actually exist (in the real world).

You say "by all accounts", but you don't include my account. Your account isn't automatically the one holy truth to me or most people. You say I'm biased, but you keep angrily saying that I'm "wanking" HxH and keep making unsupported extreme claims.

kokuro said:
She has many sides to her just like a normal human being and therefore is well-designed in my opinion. Of course you're entitled to your opinion but i thought it's better to clear my point. Thanks for reading.

Thanks for being an accepting person. :)

Apr 7, 2010 6:12 PM

Aug 2008
I'm going to ask again that we keep on topic. I know it can be difficult, but if you have something necessary to say that isn't within the realm of discussion (Eva Heinemann), take it to private messaging or, user comments, or other places on CnC.

Now on topic:
Daisuki, could you give a list of reasons why you don't think Eva should be inducted? To my knowledge, you admit that she is well-written and realistic, fault her for being a negative addition to the show, and haven't really argued anyone's defense of her directly or explained why you think she shouldn't be inducted.
Apr 7, 2010 8:57 PM

Aug 2008
Not being a majorly positive addition (i.e. exemplary) to Monster is enough for me to vote no. I don't need any other reasons, as the default yes/no/abstain vote for me is no, since little is exemplary to me. Lots of things are well-written, but I don't consider most of them to be exemplary. I would say that most anime and characters I hate are done well, but have an awful core to me, and doing well at being awful is not exemplary to me, just like being professionally tortured would not be exemplary to me.

Apr 7, 2010 10:44 PM

Aug 2008
Hmmm....I don't think you're really being clear. What about her addition to Monster is negative, not positive, non-exemplary? I'd like for you to explain that. Also, if you'd compare/contrast her to someone like Ushio, someone you did vote yes for, so that we can all see exactly where you're coming from. Because when I think of the word 'exemplary' then I think of something that can be made an example of, and I believe Eva to be exemplary in that she is a well-crafted supporting character full of charisma, pathos, and multi-factedness, showing a range of emotion that never feels cheap or forced, while also being rather important to the plot of Monster, and making the show more entertaining.
noteDheroApr 7, 2010 10:50 PM
Apr 7, 2010 10:55 PM

Dec 2007
Unrelated, but I will be voting no for a reason of consistency. I voted no for Johan.

I would abstain, but that would not fit my organization.
Apr 8, 2010 12:53 AM

Jun 2008
Eva's a bitch but she's a damn good bitch.

It's like when i first finished reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I hated the ever loving crap out of Dolores Umbridge. She was a character I loved to hate. A good evil character will do that.

Another example would be Nurse Ratched from One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest. I already hated her from reading the book but when the movie rolled around Louise Fletcher who portrayed her was just so good at being evil. (the academy also recognized that) When the scene came up where
It still sends me into a rage when i think about her or see a picture of Louise Fletcher's performance.
HATE HATE HATE

I can't honestly think of many characters in anime that are truly well done bad guys, (or less than favorable characters) that I love to hate.

I will be abstaining on this one since this time around (once i update my list) I meet the minimum number of episodes required to vote but I expect Eva to do even more though I already consider her an exemplary character.
takaApr 8, 2010 12:56 AM
Apr 8, 2010 1:55 AM

Aug 2008
noteDhero said:
Hmmm....I don't think you're really being clear. What about her addition to Monster is negative, not positive, non-exemplary? I'd like for you to explain that. Also, if you'd compare/contrast her to someone like Ushio, someone you did vote yes for, so that we can all see exactly where you're coming from. Because when I think of the word 'exemplary' then I think of something that can be made an example of, and I believe Eva to be exemplary in that she is a well-crafted supporting character full of charisma, pathos, and multi-factedness, showing a range of emotion that never feels cheap or forced, while also being rather important to the plot of Monster, and making the show more entertaining.

Exemplary is defined as "worthy of imitation; commendable". It thus has a positive connotation to me, and I am strongly opposed to applying it to things, that while having a high absolute value in some characteristic, are negative overall. How much a character improves a piece of art also depends greatly on what happens between that character and the plot and other characters. Eva didn't make Monster more attractive to me, and the effort spent on making her hatable would've been better spent on improving Johan or Tenma, in my opinion.

Anyway, for characters, my question is "Would it have been even somewhat worth experiencing this piece of art if I was otherwise neutral to it, but it included this character?". In Eva's case the answer is no, I would not have found an otherwise neutral Monster to be worth watching due to her being in it. Like I explained using Hisoka as an example, I can value "evil" or amoral characters. Eva just didn't leave me with a good impression.

Ushio is less similar to Eva than Hisoka is to me, because she's cute and sweet, unlike Eva and Hisoka. Ushio was a lot more critical to the plot of Clannad ~After Story~ than Eva was to the plot of Monster to me, and is one of the few young children characters in anime or manga that I would like to be around. I don't like behavior that I could call "childish" (including in adults), so this is a decent achievement in my eyes.

taka, I don't know if there are any characters that I love to hate. I may value the impact a character has on his or her story, but I attribute that to the story, not the character. If the character is basically just a bother without the story to cause him or her to have a positive impact or at least just be punished (for my enjoyment), then I won't value that character positively.

Apr 8, 2010 3:47 AM

Apr 2009
she is going to have to get a yes from me..not because she's in one of what i consider to be the best animes (if someone would have to ask me, i'd go out and say no to Tenma and even Anna no matter how much i love her in a type B way).. anyway, Eva Heinemann managed to do more of what you'd expect from a character of her stereotype (had she only showed up in a few episodes in the beginning, i'd regard her as just that and say no but she was able to keep on coming back to the show).. like some people already mentioned, she is well-written, realistic, and very hate-able.. she's also very important to the plot.. and that last arc for her has taught her a bit of lesson on her side as well..
Apr 8, 2010 12:57 PM

Aug 2008
Daisuki-chan said:

Exemplary is defined as "worthy of imitation; commendable". It thus has a positive connotation to me, and I am strongly opposed to applying it to things, that while having a high absolute value in some characteristic, are negative overall. How much a character improves a piece of art also depends greatly on what happens between that character and the plot and other characters. Eva didn't make Monster more attractive to me, and the effort spent on making her hatable would've been better spent on improving Johan or Tenma, in my opinion.

Again, I don't think you're being specific. What about Eva, specifically, is negative overall? Now, you say that how much a character improves a piece of art depends on character interaction and plot development. Where do you think she stumbles or is ineffectual?

I think getting that first glimpse of her as the scowling, greedy daughter of the Chief is shallow compared to what she goes through during the show. Her treatment of Tenma shows just how much security, stability, and status mean to her. But then all of that is ripped away from her, and she sinks into a deep depression, only to be pulled out by a man who is the exact opposite of everything she wanted. That, too, is seemingly ripped away, and she begins to focus all of her energies on bringing down the man who she thoughtlessly blames for the failure of her life.

From then on, she becomes a very important character in the show, uncovering all sorts of information herself, becoming involved with Roberto, and eventually realizing the type of obsessed vulture she had become.

I'm not really sure how such strong development isn't a positive to the show. To dismiss her role to something as one-dimensional as "evil" and "hateable" is short-sighted to me.

Anyway, for characters, my question is "Would it have been even somewhat worth experiencing this piece of art if I was otherwise neutral to it, but it included this character?". In Eva's case the answer is no, I would not have found an otherwise neutral Monster to be worth watching due to her being in it. Like I explained using Hisoka as an example, I can value "evil" or amoral characters. Eva just didn't leave me with a good impression.

So basically, you look at the value of the character alone, out of the experience of the show? I suppose that's fair to say, but again, I ask why? Why didn't Eva leave you with a good impression even though you find her to be well-crafted? What else, then are you looking at?

Ushio is less similar to Eva than Hisoka is to me, because she's cute and sweet, unlike Eva and Hisoka. Ushio was a lot more critical to the plot of Clannad ~After Story~ than Eva was to the plot of Monster to me, and is one of the few young children characters in anime or manga that I would like to be around. I don't like behavior that I could call "childish" (including in adults), so this is a decent achievement in my eyes.

Unlike Ushio, Eva's role couldn't have been fulfilled by just anyone, in my opinion. Ushio could have been any child, and the impact would have been the same, regardless of the personality/characterization of the character. I don't find that to be the case with Eva. Her personality is integral to all of her interactions and every bit of plot that she is involved in. Change any one of her traits, and the show is very different.
Apr 8, 2010 2:53 PM

Aug 2008
noteDhero said:
Again, I don't think you're being specific. What about Eva, specifically, is negative overall? Now, you say that how much a character improves a piece of art depends on character interaction and plot development. Where do you think she stumbles or is ineffectual?

I explained what I found negative in my first post in this thread. She probably doesn't stumble and isn't ineffectual by your standards. I don't really need to consider that, though, because a character can't just "not fail" to get a yes vote from me. I need something special (in a positive way) to vote yes.

noteDhero said:
I'm not really sure how such strong development isn't a positive to the show. To dismiss her role to something as one-dimensional as "evil" and "hateable" is short-sighted to me.

I didn't find her development highly appealing, and I wasn't made to care about her role beyond reacting negatively to it. I already mentioned in my first post that her development is why I voted 2 instead of 1 for her.

noteDhero said:
So basically, you look at the value of the character alone, out of the experience of the show? I suppose that's fair to say, but again, I ask why? Why didn't Eva leave you with a good impression even though you find her to be well-crafted? What else, then are you looking at?

I don't know why being well-crafted would force a good impression. Like I said, medieval torture could be done well, but I just don't want to rate it highly or call it exemplary, both of which have positive connotations to me and very many others.

noteDhero said:
Unlike Ushio, Eva's role couldn't have been fulfilled by just anyone, in my opinion. Ushio could have been any child, and the impact would have been the same, regardless of the personality/characterization of the character. I don't find that to be the case with Eva. Her personality is integral to all of her interactions and every bit of plot that she is involved in. Change any one of her traits, and the show is very different.

My mileage varied. If Ushio was the standard annoying brat it would have severely hurt my experience of her, and would have hurt my experience of her anime, too. She also expressed feelings I identified with in response to her situation.

I don't consider Eva to be a main character in Monster (I'm stingy, so I only consider Tenma and Johan to be main characters in Monster, or only Gon and Killua in Hunter x Hunter (and not Kurapika, Leorio, Hisoka, Meruem, Netero, Morau, Nefelpitou, Komugi, or Kuroro), for another example that shows that I'm not just excluding Eva because of how I feel about her or Monster), so she only hurt my rating of Monster by about 0.05, which rounds to 0. Unless she was changed from a 2 to an 8 or higher to me she probably couldn't have boosted my rating of Monster by my minimum increment of 0.5, so I wouldn't have considered Monster to have been very different to me in the ways I care about.

Apr 8, 2010 3:12 PM

Aug 2008
Daisuki-chan said:

I explained what I found negative in my first post in this thread. She probably doesn't stumble and isn't ineffectual by your standards. I don't really need to consider that, though, because a character can't just "not fail" to get a yes vote from me. I need something special (in a positive way) to vote yes.

My problem is that those are absolute intentions in the creation of her character, and that she develops from there. If she stumbles, she stumbles, and I don't have a problem with you or anyone pointing out instances where a character doesn't come off as intended for the sake of plot or a push to be more popular. Those are legitimate complaint to have with her or any other character. But you seem to be dead set against her because she's not someone you would hang out with, and I take issue with that when we are discussion the merits of the characters not only as 'people' but players in a piece of art.

I didn't find her development highly appealing, and I wasn't made to care about her role beyond reacting negatively to it. I already mentioned in my first post that her development is why I voted 2 instead of 1 for her.

So because she is the type of person you don't like, you can't react positively to development that makes her aware of such short-comings?

I don't know why being well-crafted would force a good impression. Like I said, medieval torture could be done well, but I just don't want to rate it highly or call it exemplary, both of which have positive connotations to me and very many others.

But if our job were to rate devices we thought were exemplary of mechanics, why shouldn't well crafted torture devices be permitted? Along that same train of though, even if Eva is a dime out of a dozen "prostitutes" character types, is she not exemplary of her type? Does that mean nothing?

I don't consider Eva to be a main character in Monster (I'm stingy, so I only consider Tenma and Johan to be main characters in Monster, or only Gon and Killua in Hunter x Hunter (and not Kurapika, Leorio, Hisoka, Meruem, Netero, Morau, Nefelpitou, Komugi, or Kuroro), for another example that shows that I'm not just excluding Eva because of how I feel about her or Monster), so she only hurt my rating of Monster by about 0.05, which rounds to 0. Unless she was changed from a 2 to an 8 or higher to me she probably couldn't have boosted my rating of Monster by my minimum increment of 0.5, so I wouldn't have considered Monster to have been very different to me in the ways I care about.

So, let me get this straight:

Characters are only exemplary if they increase your enjoyment of a show by being relatable to you, and likable. They must also be a main character.

Thusly, if you don't like a character, then they are bad, no two ways around it.

Is that right?
Apr 8, 2010 4:10 PM

Aug 2008
noteDhero said:
My problem is that those are absolute intentions in the creation of her character, and that she develops from there. If she stumbles, she stumbles, and I don't have a problem with you or anyone pointing out instances where a character doesn't come off as intended for the sake of plot or a push to be more popular. Those are legitimate complaint to have with her or any other character. But you seem to be dead set against her because she's not someone you would hang out with, and I take issue with that when we are discussion the merits of the characters not only as 'people' but players in a piece of art.

I don't care about the intentions of creators. I doubt most people here who feel that R2 is a bad anime care that it met its intention of being exciting and epic to most people. It didn't conform to what they wanted, so it wouldn't be given yes votes by them. Eva didn't conform to what I wanted, so she won't be given a yes vote by me. You can continue to discuss her merits from your perspective. I'm not aware that I should only post in these threads if several others agree with me. All I see is this:
For the next week I would like to have everyone familiar with this character discuss what they think makes it an exceptional character. What attributes make it stand out in the ocean of interesting characters that exist in the realms of anime and manga.

I'm familiar with her. I don't consider her exceptional, but everyone else feels free to discuss non-exceptional aspects of spotlighted items, too, so I believe that this is just poor wording, not a literal rule. Besides, discussion would be very unattractive if only positives could ever be mentioned. I don't think that's what's desired.

noteDhero said:
So because she is the type of person you don't like, you can't react positively to development that makes her aware of such short-comings?

I can react positively to development. I am very positive towards Nakajima Youko and her development. Eva didn't develop strongly in a direction I value, and also developed too slowly for me, so her weighted average value is low to me.

noteDhero said:
But if our job were to rate devices we thought were exemplary of mechanics, why shouldn't well crafted torture devices be permitted? Along that same train of though, even if Eva is a dime out of a dozen "prostitutes" character types, is she not exemplary of her type? Does that mean nothing?

This club is effectively giving out awards that cause the awarded items to stand out as high recommendations to others. Even though that's not explicitly stated, I know that's how it is to many people. I didn't join to recommend awful things to other people, so I'm not doing so.

noteDhero said:
So, let me get this straight:

Characters are only exemplary if they increase your enjoyment of a show by being relatable to you, and likable. They must also be a main character.

Thusly, if you don't like a character, then they are bad, no two ways around it.

Is that right?

Likable is probably too narrow of a word. It's more that watching or reading the character's behavior or actions must be likable or appreciated. I wouldn't want to be around Hisoka, but I like that he's around in Hunter x Hunter. Being relatable (without blowing it somehow, which can have a rather bad effect on me) can definitely increase likability. Characters don't have to be main for me to like them, but being main increases the amount of time and focus characters get, which can increase my reaction to them. I mentioned Eva not being main to me because you were saying how important she was to Monster for you, but she wasn't a huge deal to me.

Disclaimer: Nonster (non-Monster) characters I mentioned were used to provide examples of how I think, and since you feel that asking me about that here is okay, responding in proper detail should also be okay.

Apr 8, 2010 5:04 PM

Aug 2008
Daisuki-chan said:

I don't care about the intentions of creators. I doubt most people here who feel that R2 is a bad anime care that it met its intention of being exciting and epic to most people. It didn't conform to what they wanted, so it wouldn't be given yes votes by them. Eva didn't conform to what I wanted, so she won't be given a yes vote by me. You can continue to discuss her merits from your perspective. I'm not aware that I should only post in these threads if several others agree with me. All I see is this:

I'm familiar with her. I don't consider her exceptional, but everyone else feels free to discuss non-exceptional aspects of spotlighted items, too, so I believe that this is just poor wording, not a literal rule. Besides, discussion would be very unattractive if only positives could ever be mentioned. I don't think that's what's desired.

Again, the thing is that rather than describe in full detail why you think she isn't exceptional, you mostly bring up other characters you like and talk about them. So I asked you to compare and contrast, and for me, you're very ambiguous about why you like/dislike x character outside of just "I like them."

I can react positively to development. I am very positive towards Nakajima Youko and her development. Eva didn't develop strongly in a direction I value, and also developed too slowly for me, so her weighted average value is low to me.

What about that direction did you not value?

This club is effectively giving out awards that cause the awarded items to stand out as high recommendations to others. Even though that's not explicitly stated, I know that's how it is to many people. I didn't join to recommend awful things to other people, so I'm not doing so.

This is what confuses me. In what way is she awful? Is she awful in the sort of terrible way that Mars of Destruction is awful? Or is she awful in a way that doesn't really please you, but from a standpoint devoid of your emotion towards her you can see why it would be to others, and that there is value in watching her character? There is a big difference there for me that I don't think you've been clear on.

Likable is probably too narrow of a word. It's more that watching or reading the character's behavior or actions must be likable or appreciated. I wouldn't want to be around Hisoka, but I like that he's around in Hunter x Hunter. Being relatable (without blowing it somehow, which can have a rather bad effect on me) can definitely increase likability. Characters don't have to be main for me to like them, but being main increases the amount of time and focus characters get, which can increase my reaction to them. I mentioned Eva not being main to me because you were saying how important she was to Monster for you, but she wasn't a huge deal to me.

I said she is important as a supporting character, and is exemplary in that role. I never brought up a dispute for what kind of role she has.

As it is, I think you have a problem relating your ideas to other people, and they/we just aren't understanding where you're coming from. I'm asking all of these questions to see a commonality in your rationale. As of now, I still don't get it.
Apr 9, 2010 7:03 PM

Aug 2008
noteDhero said:
Again, the thing is that rather than describe in full detail why you think she isn't exceptional, you mostly bring up other characters you like and talk about them. So I asked you to compare and contrast, and for me, you're very ambiguous about why you like/dislike x character outside of just "I like them."

I have explained already. I've also repeatedly mentioned that I don't need a reason to not find something exemplary (I'm not going to switch to using exceptional instead). The default is to not be exemplary. I need a reason to find something exemplary, and Eva didn't give me one.

noteDhero said:
What about that direction did you not value?

Just like above, I need a reason to value the direction, not a reason to not value it. The default is to not value it. It just wasn't very valuable to me.

noteDhero said:
This is what confuses me. In what way is she awful? Is she awful in the sort of terrible way that Mars of Destruction is awful? Or is she awful in a way that doesn't really please you, but from a standpoint devoid of your emotion towards her you can see why it would be to others, and that there is value in watching her character? There is a big difference there for me that I don't think you've been clear on.

There's no reason for me to ignore my emotions. Everyone voting on their emotions would produce a result that matches and represents what matters to the group. I prefer this information, as I find that there is no meaning given to anything which is not from an emotion. People voting based on what they think is best for others (which is in my opinion a flawed but to them idealistic meta-desire of sorts, which doesn't best serve the emotions of everyone) are the ones who screw things up, from my perspective.

noteDhero said:
I said she is important as a supporting character, and is exemplary in that role. I never brought up a dispute for what kind of role she has.

As it is, I think you have a problem relating your ideas to other people, and they/we just aren't understanding where you're coming from. I'm asking all of these questions to see a commonality in your rationale. As of now, I still don't get it.

You said "Change any one of her traits, and the show is very different.". My mileage varied.

I don't think I have a problem relating my ideas. People here (at least one person) apparently don't even read what I say, just what they imagine. Maybe you have a hard time understanding how someone could consistently and rationally favor using reason as a tool to support emotion, rather than favoring it for its own sake. To me reason without emotion is worthless and indeed would not even be possible, as I couldn't be bothered to think about much of anything if I had no reason and thus no motivation to do so.

Apr 10, 2010 8:37 PM

Oct 2007
whether you love or hate eva, she's a great character overall. much more than tenma at least (who i find to have a really typical likable character personality.)
A++ to eva ;) deff a yes.
Sep 24, 2010 7:25 PM
Jul 2018
agian people in monster that should be inducted
Tennma
lunge
grimmer
the baby
reberto
Oct 1, 2010 11:29 AM

Feb 2009
I believe the discussion between noteDhero and Daisuki-chan clears enough about Eva. I just hope that more people would pay attention to the point that this is not a popularity contest. Eva, no matter how hateful her character might be to you, is well-designed and for that reason she deserves to be on the relations list in my opinion.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.