Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 8, 2008 12:14 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Seeing Johan crying and being a nice person, was really strange.
I wonder if, in the next episode, he'll snap and let his "monster side" come out.
Dec 25, 2008 1:52 PM

Jun 2008
i doubt he was actually crying to show emotion or something. more like gaining trust...
Feb 17, 2009 12:55 AM

Jul 2008
Damn, what is Johan planning, the suspense is killing me.
Jul 10, 2009 9:28 PM

Apr 2009
So, that was Johan's humane side. Cant wait to see his Monster side.

And on a side note, hooray for the first appearance of anime Wilford Brimley!
Osaka117Jul 10, 2009 9:31 PM

Jul 20, 2009 1:19 AM

Jun 2009
I think it was a definite scheme rather than real tears.. He is up to something eeeevvviiilllllll..... How much longer do we have to wait to find out what it is!!!
Aug 10, 2009 1:21 PM

Jul 2009
I'm so glad they've put in some episodes with Johan...I was just complaining a few episodes back about the lack of him XD
Jan 18, 2010 9:15 PM

Jul 2009
This was done masterfully. Johann is built up perfectly, and this is just the perfect first appearance for him.
Jan 28, 2010 11:56 AM

Sep 2009
I wonder if we saw Johan's good or monster side. From what I can see it is the monster one. There are few logical explanations for that. First of all, the good side would not be so calm. He is afraid of his monster side, terrified of his actions, thoughts. And he thinks that the monster side will eventually take all over him. Secondly, it was quite clear that Johan had no real emotions during this episode. It might seem that he was crying and helping everyone, however, it is also clear that he was deceiving everyone. Another reason why this is monster side, it was mentioned before that monster side is the dominating one. And that the good side sometimes takes it over. At some critical psychological moments. And lastly, the fat lady in the end. She mentioned Johan's eloquence. The good side is not in possession of such skills. Now that I had enough time to listen to his voice, I can say that the voice actor is perfect. It fits his personality flawlessly. Love it.
No sig :(
Mar 8, 2010 2:39 PM

Jan 2010
Algirdyz said:
I wonder if we saw Johan's good or monster side. From what I can see it is the monster one. There are few logical explanations for that. First of all, the good side would not be so calm. He is afraid of his monster side, terrified of his actions, thoughts. And he thinks that the monster side will eventually take all over him. Secondly, it was quite clear that Johan had no real emotions during this episode. It might seem that he was crying and helping everyone, however, it is also clear that he was deceiving everyone. Another reason why this is monster side, it was mentioned before that monster side is the dominating one. And that the good side sometimes takes it over. At some critical psychological moments. And lastly, the fat lady in the end. She mentioned Johan's eloquence. The good side is not in possession of such skills. Now that I had enough time to listen to his voice, I can say that the voice actor is perfect. It fits his personality flawlessly. Love it.

I thought that was his good side but now that I think about it, you're right. Dx

Now I wonder what is good side REALLY is like...
\
Aug 12, 2010 6:48 AM

Jul 2009
Scary Johan is scary
Man maybe i can't stand to stand beside him..
Aug 31, 2010 1:28 AM

Sep 2009
Wow, a different side to Johan, kinda makes me wonder if Tenma will be able to kill him in the end???
TIME TO LIVE FOREVER BABY!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19549
Please join if you love Asian Cinema :)
Oct 11, 2010 12:25 PM

Jun 2009
I don't know maybe Johan isn't quite as simple as everyone in these forums seems to think he is. Something just made me feel as though he was actually crying for Karl, I didn't feel as though it was fake at all. Also, his scene about the forest seemed genuine.

I said it before and I'll say it again, this series isn't quite as black and white as everyone seems to want to think it is. I think Johann was a good showcase of that in this episode.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 12, 2010 5:22 PM

Mar 2010
wow that was interesting when he cried, very apealling

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 2, 2011 3:22 AM

Apr 2009
Aw this one was sad, I teared up a little when Johan was describing the nonexistent forest.
May 17, 2011 6:21 AM

Oct 2008
Wow, Johann being nice seems so strange.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Dec 3, 2011 10:34 AM

Aug 2010
Translation was wrong
Feb 22, 2012 2:53 PM

Mar 2009
Seeing Johan crying was a little weird.
Mar 13, 2012 1:53 PM

Mar 2010
hmm good guy monster?
Apr 18, 2012 9:43 AM

Nov 2011
Lol, Johan with all the kids laughing around him was ... creepy!
May 31, 2012 6:51 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
nedstark1990 said:
Translation was wrong

Totally.

Johan is really creepy.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 19, 2012 9:17 PM

Aug 2008
I'm pretty sure Johan gets off on manipulating people.
In my mind he probably enjoyed crying manly tears for Tuesday dude.
There's no way he just happened to be on that roof, he planned that all out.
Sep 19, 2012 4:07 PM

Nov 2009
Feel bad for the black haired kid... forget his name... but you know Johann is gonna kill him. By the way I feel like if he is supposed to be charismatic he shouldn't have such a creepy voice.
Oct 14, 2012 2:27 PM

Feb 2011
Bizarre seeing Johan like that. He was too nice. I can see why he's able to manipulate people so easily.

I have a bad feeling the old dude's gonna end up dead and Carol and the girl are gonna get blamed for it.
Nov 10, 2012 4:22 PM

Dec 2007
I'm still not convinced of the DID theory. Johan is obviously a wizard.
Nov 23, 2012 6:10 PM

Mar 2012
Osaka117 said:

And on a side note, hooray for the first appearance of anime Wilford Brimley!

I lol'd.
Nov 24, 2012 9:40 PM

May 2011
Enter Johan Liebert... Oh man. Let it begin.
Dec 17, 2012 10:56 PM

Feb 2012
Johan episode yay!

About Episode:

It seems this Richard dude is investigating Edmund Fahren and also Karl and Lotte but who Karl really is and is he good guy?

Also that note they mentioned which was in Edmund's desk
"I cannot deceive him any further" I wonder if it has something to do with Johan or Karl.

I was pretty sure Johan is going to push Karl from that rooftop but no.
Seeing Johan crying there was sad a little bit but I am pretty sure he is just gaining Karl's and Lott's trust in here and has already plan ready for them. That's why he can manipulate so many people.

But it sure looked weird why that Schuwald could see after Johan gave him the apple. Maybe he has some powers to heal diseases.
Or could be this Johan the good one before he became bad. That would explain why he was called Jesus Christ too.

Interesting episode.

5/5
MixxuDec 17, 2012 11:00 PM
Jan 28, 2013 9:54 AM

Jan 2012
Johan is creepy, and the fact that he was nice once doesn't change anything.

Feb 23, 2013 11:16 PM
Aug 2011
There's a chilling tone to all of Johan's scenes even when he's being nice. (Especially that rooftop scene.)

I almost wanted to shout "run away!!" to all the kids around him.
Apr 26, 2013 10:10 AM

Apr 2013
Johann is putting on a mask to gain trust. And the security guy is really dumb.
Aug 18, 2013 9:15 AM
May 2012
Don't be deceived cause I think he doesn't really have a split personality well that's what I think maybe I'm right maybe I'm wrong.
Oct 2, 2013 9:58 PM

Jul 2009
another excellent episode!

we have another persistent detective(much like Lunger)

man Johan walking at the edge of a building and making it too easy!

i thought he was gonna hypnotize Karl or something XD

Johan's voice is soo gentle!

though his smile can be creepy at times XD

i think the reason he wants to take care of the kids is that he could train them and build his own army as soon as possible!

was the apple drug or something O___O

yes more Johan episodes next!!
Dec 11, 2013 6:18 AM

Sep 2011
Algirdyz said:

Spot on really.
Jan 7, 2014 3:12 PM

Mar 2013
johan looks so evil when he's being nice .
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Jan 7, 2014 3:15 PM

Mar 2013
Tengai said:
Don't be deceived cause I think he doesn't really have a split personality well that's what I think maybe I'm right maybe I'm wrong.

Me too. based on what tenma's college "friend" said.
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Mar 18, 2014 7:18 PM
Jul 2018
Dang... Johann could sure deceive me, he seems so nice and elegant...
Apr 28, 2014 6:22 PM

Dec 2012
I felt like crying at how poetic and incredible of a character Johan is. His charisma and charm is on a completely different level. I can see why he's able to capture the hearts of so many and bend them to his will, I'm having trouble avoiding his spell. This proper showcase of his character is not disappointing in the least.

I started laughing when I saw Johan with all of those children. Something about that image was just so frightening and ironic, he was like a shepherd.
Jun 13, 2014 9:13 PM

Jul 2011
I don't feel like that was a mask. When he was crying, and also his little speech about the children. Yes, he's saying all that to gain their trust and everything, but he could be speaking honestly too. It comes so naturally to him. Why can't he be genuinely kind but still hate humanity and be twisted?
I love this guy. He's awesome. He may seem creepy, but that's because we know him as a villain. Otherwise, he sounds frail, but very gentle and very sympathetic. I have been won over. XD

When he pretended that the forest was still there, that was spectacular. Absolutely.

Now who's his next victim?
Oct 4, 2014 8:47 PM

Jan 2013
I wanted to start my rewatch from here because seriously~~ Johan is so charismatic and enthralling it's frightening.
Oct 7, 2014 9:05 PM

Nov 2011
We don't actually know that Johan has a split personality, though. Everyone is talking about different sides, but it's just as likely that all of this is part of his whole, entire twisted self. Understanding such a mind simply may not be possible.

It was creepy, in any case.
Dec 22, 2014 2:08 PM

Aug 2014
Based on the theory he's faking the split personality to mess with Tenma, I would also say that those tears and the forest scenes were fake. It may have seem genuine but that's what manipulators are excellent at: lying.
Mirorin said:
Why can't he be genuinely kind but still hate humanity and be twisted?

This is an interesting point, tough.
Dec 27, 2014 11:49 PM

Feb 2013
Johan is hot but he is very creepy indeed (and intimidating somehow). Now that we can actually see Johan, maybe we can finally see the process, you know, how he managed to deceive people, how he managed to do all those evil stuff. This time, with Karl as his target (or so I think).
Feb 1, 2015 1:16 AM

Nov 2013
Johan is so charming. I don't blame those people for being manipulated by him. I love him already!

I can't wait to find out more about Johan and what makes him so evil.

Great episode. This was much better than the last one.

8/10

Mar 29, 2015 5:38 AM
Nov 2014
Much better than the last, great to see more screentime for Johan.
Jun 14, 2015 7:35 PM

Apr 2015
Okay, so like how are they just gunna throw Johan at us all so suddenly like this? Lol. I'm being sarcastic, but I just like how he'd only made a few appearances before & now all of nowhere, here he is, chillin w us like he's been w us this whole entire series.

This basically sums up my opinion on what just happened:

Us: "hey, what's up, Johan?"
Johan: "Nun, chillin."

Lol. Like seriously. Haha.

And the biggest mind fuck for me was how I was like .."Omg...I don't want to like him...stop making him have a heart. Wait. Stop...Please. Stop. Stop being so nice. Oh no. Not the children. OH NO. Not the old man!" But my heart was sold on him when I saw how much the children adored him. How is this even possible?

It's like...how can you make us love a character that should be so strongly despised. That's amazing. & that's what makes this anime so beautiful. I am so impressed & can't wait to see what's next.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that the detective dude's seiyou sounded like Beau from Scooby Doo on Zombie Island & when I googled it, I found him! I was right. :D I usually am when it comes to voice actors/seiyous. It's so weird.

--------------------------------------------

Earwen said:
I'm still not convinced of the DID theory. Johan is obviously a wizard.

Me neither. As kind as he was here, I do think he's being manipulative. I think this episode is a preface of how gets close to his victims, lures them in, & then kills them. His character is so well crafted.
parfaited said:
There's a chilling tone to all of Johan's scenes even when he's being nice. (Especially that rooftop scene.)

I almost wanted to shout "run away!!" to all the kids around him.

Me too!! I was shouting "Noooo!! Not the babies!! Get away from the babies!!!"
AngeCross said:
another excellent episode!

we have another persistent detective(much like Lunger)

man Johan walking at the edge of a building and making it too easy!

i thought he was gonna hypnotize Karl or something XD

Johan's voice is soo gentle!

though his smile can be creepy at times XD

i think the reason he wants to take care of the kids is that he could train them and build his own army as soon as possible!

was the apple drug or something O___O

yes more Johan episodes next!!

As soon as he said "volunteer work at the orphanage" I saw Kinderheim 511 all over again.
Ratohnhaketon said:
I felt like crying at how poetic and incredible of a character Johan is. His charisma and charm is on a completely different level. I can see why he's able to capture the hearts of so many and bend them to his will, I'm having trouble avoiding his spell. This proper showcase of his character is not disappointing in the least.

I started laughing when I saw Johan with all of those children. Something about that image was just so frightening and ironic, he was like a shepherd.

I second this!!! Yes.
Celsia said:
I wanted to start my rewatch from here because seriously~~ Johan is so charismatic and enthralling it's frightening.

I know, girl. I almost wanna claim him & say forget Tenma. My new anime crush.
jaqenhghar said:
Johan is hot but he is very creepy indeed (and intimidating somehow). Now that we can actually see Johan, maybe we can finally see the process, you know, how he managed to deceive people, how he managed to do all those evil stuff. This time, with Karl as his target (or so I think).

That's exactly what I think this is for. But I feel like the series is gunna take another turn & have us all at the edge of our seats, again. Lol.
NiariMoonJun 14, 2015 7:49 PM
Jul 13, 2015 7:58 AM

Jul 2014
5/5
Jul 14, 2015 12:14 PM

Nov 2013
Finally Johan's making an appearance. throughout the episode I was waiting him to slide out a gun from behind his back and pew pew them haha. tbh he seemed too innocent - would not trust (after watching death note hehe) 5/5
Aug 14, 2015 1:39 AM

Dec 2013
Cool to see Johan's human side.
Aug 30, 2015 12:21 PM

Dec 2013
I dunno, it looked like Johan was actually crying his heart out in this episode.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Sep 23, 2015 5:32 PM
Sep 2015
Very interesting.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

114 by egeD19 »»
Yesterday, 10:03 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

623 by Animequeen_xx »»
Apr 13, 5:54 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 11, 2008

134 by Ajanokoyna »»
Apr 13, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 55 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 15, 2008

70 by Dekuforce5 »»
Apr 13, 3:15 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 4, 2008

106 by wallus81 »»
Apr 8, 10:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.