MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Who has the most/least similar taste to you?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Club Discussion »» Oxford Anime Vision »» Who has the most/least similar taste to you?

Must be a Club Member to Reply
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
04-02-10, 5:21 AM

Highest: just over 70% (and falling all the time as she adds more scores...) compatibility with Janice's scores

Lowest: less than 35% compatbility with Alexei's scores

I reckon my average is probably just under 50%.

04-02-10, 5:28 AM

With most people mine's between 45 and 60%

Although it gets to 81.9% with Alexei, and keeps going up.

Edit:

Janice with 48.7% is apparently my lowest compatability.
Modified by MikeP, 04-02-10, 5:56 AM

04-02-10, 5:39 AM

92.5% with Corwin; 48.7% with Mike.

I have surprisingly high compatibility with most people (60+ with Alun, 70ish with Kajia and Alexei, 80+ with Duncan), but I suspect that it's because I don't watch some series that they like but I'd dislike/they don't watch some series that I like but they'd dislike.
Modified by randomvoice, 04-02-10, 5:56 AM

04-02-10, 6:40 AM

damn, that's pretty high compatibility scores!

It's worth noting though... what scales is everyone using? I'm using the ones defined by the MAL system, which has

7= good
8= very good
9= great
10 = masterpiece

Since my personal scale is more like:

7= good
7.5 = very good
8 = excellent
9 = exceptional
10 = godlike

I'm having to move all my 7.5's up to 8, 8's to 9's and 9's to 10's (I don't have any 10's) when putting scores into MAL.

I know that Duncan for example, is still scoring using his personal scale (where I think 7 = very good) rather than the MAL defined one, so the compatibility score is probably distorted because of it.

04-02-10, 6:52 AM

That's pretty close to what I tend to use for my scoring. Although I think I need to go back through and have another look at everything I've rated between 5-7 as some of them need moving.

04-02-10, 7:00 AM

does that mean you're using your own personal scale instead of the MAL one?

04-02-10, 7:02 AM

Basically, although its essentially identical from what I can gather.

04-02-10, 7:56 AM

Currently:

Janice 93.4%
Duncan 92.6%
MikeP 51.6%

My tastes have changed a LOT since I started watching anime though. A lot of the older things i've rated have some level of nostalgia factor, whereas if I watched them now, they wouldn't be rated so highly. I don't know what effect this has but it messes things up a bit.

Luckily neither Janice nor Duncan have watched these, so it's all good.

As for scoring system. I'm aiming for a 5ish average, then I'm comparing animes to see where each should go. Generally my personal tiering system helped:

tier 1 - 10
tier 2 - 9
tier 3 - 7 & 8
tier 4 - 5 & 6
tier 5 - everything else

Anything I rate 5 or above, I would probably watch in my own time.

(Monster and GITS would get 10s but Utena for me was better, so they had to get 9s)

04-02-10, 8:55 AM

I use the MAL scoring system. Comparing scores is never going to work if we all use different systems, right?

Alexei - 56.4%
Corwin - 64.5%
Duncan - 69.3%
Janice - 65.7%
Kajia - unknown
MikeP - 49.1%

04-02-10, 10:08 AM

The scale I'm using:
10 - The class of "best anime I've seen"
9 - Great
8 - Good; generally satisfying
7 - Good, but with significant unsatisfying aspects
6 - Watchable, tending to enjoyable
5 - Watchable OR Bad, but with redeeming aspects

I've moved all my personal-9's to MAL-10's, 8's to 9's, and 7.5's to 8's. But otherwise my personal rankings are more or less reflected in the MAL scale.

I am more charitable to some disliked-series-in-which-I-can-see-objectively-good-aspects (otherwise Clannad would be rated lower), but I do over-rate a few series if I really like them (even if they're not objectively that good).

04-02-10, 5:08 PM

I rate serious almost purely subjectively... that's why FLCL will get a 1 once I get around to adding it :D

I'm shocked that even Alun has higher average compatibility with people than me :-0
Modified by kajia, 04-02-10, 5:30 PM

04-03-10, 3:34 AM

To quote my own reply to Kajia:

Well the thing is that I want to make the best use possible of the whole scale. Getting a 5 average isn't like a must (mine's currently like 6.2) but I kinda keep it in mind. For example:

Utena >
Monster >
Haibane Renmei >
Bartender >
Genshiken >
Genshiken OVA (There's a gap here as there's a pretty big jump) >
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei >
Clannad >
Love Hina >
Vandread

I feel there are clear divides between each of these anime so they can each have their own score. 5 is the only one that feels empty but there's a big jump between 6 and 4.

I'm trying to score mine relative to the others, and generally use the whole of the scale. Most of my scores are subjective. The bebop movie gets points just because i came home and flicked through channels to find it on the sci-fi channel. It was quite a nice moment to watch it so I probably enjoyed it more than I may have normally.

Using different scoring systems isn't that bad. I believe it compares the difference in your means aswell. So for example my mean is about 1 below Janices, however because pretty much all my scores are 1 below hers it's like mega tokyo mix compatability.

04-03-10, 6:45 AM

didn't you say you liked Love Hina? :p

04-03-10, 7:24 AM

kajia said:
didn't you say you liked Love Hina? :p

It wasn't bad at the time, but I was a fair bit younger. This one I went back and rewatched a bit and it was awful. OH but it had mecha turtles so it might be at least as good as clannad. Damn you! Now i need a new 2.

04-03-10, 8:04 AM

lol I theorise that watching Utena has changed you from a fanboy to a fangirl!

04-03-10, 8:34 AM

That's kinda the case. But watching "boy" stuff is so boooooring now. I've been watching "boy" stuff for like 18 years now. It's nice to have a change of pace.

But I never really was that much of a fanboy. I mean fullmetal alchemist was probably my favourite anime back in the day, and the furthest i got in terms of fanboyism was buying a cheap copy of the series after watching it online. That was it.

My reaction to honey and clover has changed a LOT over these few years. When i first watched the first ep, i have to say i didn't like it that much. It was a bit slow and a bit boring. Nothing really happened and I didn't like the art style. The main female character didn't align themselves to the male ones. One girl looked way too young and the other had a fringe. My reaction to honey and clover is probably quite similar to how Alun's is now.

It'd be interesting to make a list of how I probably would have felt then to how I feel now . . .

(btw I am so a Utena fangirl)

Edit: made a secund acount 16yoCorwin. Not sure if ur "allowed" to, but it's interesting to share compatabilities. Some of the scores could use spreading out, but its a good idea of what I'd have probably liked when I was 16.
Modified by corwin, 04-03-10, 8:54 AM

04-03-10, 9:11 AM

Yes! This is how I felt with Honey and Clover! Someone agrees wth me :) Maybe it's because I only really started watching anime two and a half years ago when I joined OAV, so compared to your 18 years I'm pretty new to it... :P

04-03-10, 6:21 PM

after adding a few universally liked series such as cowboy bebop and mushishi, my general compatibility score is on the increase :D

just under 75% compatibility with Janice's list now.
60%+ against corwin's list
Compatibility against most other people's list are now between 50% - 60%
Against Alexei's scores's it's now under 33%

Edit: I think there might be more to this compatibility score than I initially gave it credit for: my mean differences with Alexei's list is only 1.58, but the compatibility is ultra low. In contrast, my mean differences against Duncan's list is 2+, but the compatiblity is over 50%. I'm thinking maybe they base it against relative scoring of how you rate an anime in comparison to other anime on your list. For example, if you both got vandread at the bottom of your list, whether you rate it as a 1 or a 3 or 4 probably doesn't matter so much.
Modified by kajia, 04-03-10, 6:28 PM

04-04-10, 11:31 AM

Yeah, it certainly seems to be slightly more complicated then you'd think. My new highest compatibility seems to be with Selina at 85.9%, which surprises me as I have only 17 shared anime and a mean difference of 1.15. Compared to the 81.9% I've got with Alexei, with 52 shared anime, and a mean difference of 0.93.

I really wonder how that percentage is calculated.

04-04-10, 12:40 PM

I swear I saw a page explaining it somewhere, but I can't find it again. There are a few threads on the forums about how its calculated. I didn't read much but I think there's all the info there.

Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices