MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Tokyo Godfathers Discussion
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Tokyo Godfathers »» Tokyo Godfathers Discussion

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
12-11-09, 12:18 PM

This is a good movie, really. I watched on tv at least 3 times. For me the final of the movie was the best of all

01-10-10, 7:46 AM

Was so nice! Great characters and had a positive feeling in it :)

07-09-10, 1:23 AM

A classic.

10-23-10, 6:05 AM

I absolutely loved this movie, it had everything a movie should have: action, comedy, drama, suspense, heartfelt moments. I'd give it a 10/10!

11-14-10, 7:55 AM

Just watched.. it really was good. It had too many coincidence. at the end where was stronge wind at the mall part it was "?" for me wtf was that xD
its 9/10 for me xD

12-26-10, 4:25 AM

pretty awesome, make me fell really good when i watched.
9/10 for me =)

01-03-11, 10:42 PM

I'm a big fan of Satoshi Kon's work, so I figured it only right that I add Tokyo Godfathers to my completed list.

I liked it. I definitely liked it. This was an all around fun movie that stayed interesting throughout and gave a lot of good laughs. The scattered dramatic moments included managed to hold up well in their surroundings without feeling out of place or ruining the mood.

But... I can't say this really stacks up to Satoshi Kon's other films. Even acknowledging that I'm a much bigger fan of the psychological genre than comedy, I have to take points off for the sheer level of coincidence in this movie. Everything from Miyuki's father being on the other train on is just so ridiculous. The movie is clearly aware of this. It relishes the coincidences and loves playing the what's the craziest thing that could happen card. There's definitely humor in the brazen improbability, but it also hurts the coherency. The movie flows jerkily because the movement from one event to another relies purely on coincidences. In addition, it hurts the immersion, since there's just no way to view it as anything other than a story. The self aware execution could only do so much to prevent it from feeling cheap.

So, overall, liked it, didn't love it, wish I could have more to really sate my Satoshi Kon fix.

01-04-11, 9:57 AM

I'm just sitting here and thinking what flaw the movie had, and I honestly cant come up with anything. Even the coincidences made sense with the theme ("miracle", "hope", "christmas"), when in any other movie it would have degraded the story, but here these incidences are part of the movie and its theme and make perfect sense. I think you have to be a cold-hearted soulless person not to like this movie. Honestly. I saw Perfect blue and millennium actress yesterday but was highly disappointed. They were both heavily flawed though decent, but this movie was really gold. A true masterpiece

9/10
Modified by koreye, 01-04-11, 10:06 AM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')

03-22-11, 10:46 PM

eyerok said:
I saw Perfect blue and millennium actress yesterday but was highly disappointed.

Same here. The difference was that the randomness and deus ex machina were appropriate here. The film didn't take itself seriously; it knew its place. Kon wanted to produce smiles and Tokyo Godfathers delivered.

08-24-11, 12:15 AM

Spectacular film! One of the best "slices of life" I've ever seen for sure. I can't believe how great all the characters were. This movie made me feel such a vast range of emotions and it's truly made my heart feel all warm and fuzzy tonight and I can't wait to watch it again sometime. (;

10-11-11, 9:51 AM

Pleasantly surprised with this movie, went into it with quite low expectations which makes it all the more satisfying. It's one of those movies that you could sit and watch on Christmas Eve night with your family.

no homo OFF/[ON]

12-25-11, 12:12 PM

Saw a part of it years back on television, then I came across it on MAL and decided to watch it. It was just as good and funny as I remembered. It was a nice Christmas watch 7/10.

12-02-12, 11:50 PM

I loved it! :'3

12-24-12, 11:55 PM

It's quirky, dramatic, suspenseful, wacky, hilarious, sad, rage-worthy, action-packed, romantic, heart-warming, pants-dropping, and all around insane. So many coincidences and plot-twists happened within that hour and a half full of crazy that I just stopped caring and went with it. I can't believe something like this actually existed.

01-26-13, 7:03 PM

Great movie :) I don't know what to say anymore.
"People who neglect to make efforts or who don't take any actions at all
are always the ones who dream that someday they will suddenly become wildly successful." — Nakahara, Misaki

02-17-13, 11:59 AM

That was a great movie.. really enjoyed it! And Hana was my fave character.. he is really funny.. really like the crazy string of events..

10-15-13, 4:25 PM

This honestly is my favourite Christmas movie of all time (including live action) and I have to somehow get my family to watch it this year's Christmas.

10-23-13, 8:06 PM

Great movie , I should have watch this at Christmas. Nevertheless , I enjoyed this !

12-25-13, 7:43 PM

Pretty nice movie that I actually enjoyed it. The last minute half rescue maked it enjoyable.
8/10
Espadas will always be the best!

04-25-14, 11:03 AM

This was one of the best animation movies that I've ever watched, seriously. The plot was full of twists and kept me entertained all along. And the characters were just so picturesque. I loved them.
"Me ni wa me wo, ha ni wa ha wo, aku ni wa aku wo."

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices