Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 1, 2010 3:24 AM

Apr 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So, Heroman. Bones animation with the mind of Stan Lee (and leave it to Stan Lee to put himself in his own work). It really does feel like a pro-American, typical Stan Lee work, not that there's anything wrong with that (personally I find it a turn off because I'm having 'America!' thrown at me every few min, and the sudden American Flag design of Heroman is a bit beyond me). As usual Bones animation is fabulous. First impression are pretty good (though things that make good first impressions usually suck); I couldn't help but be reminded of Saturday morning cartoons from back in the day. Everything about this just screams of a typical marvel cartoon; everything from the beginnings of a small-town boy, to the birth of Heroman, followed by the hero in action! It sort of seems cliche, but at least to me it looks promising. Anyone get reminded of Spike when they saw Psy's hair?
On another note, I'm getting kind of a Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann vibe from this. I hope that this doesn't turn into a coming of age anime. Ultimately, expectations for this if any, are simply because of Bones, nothing else. Shows like this usually never come out on top, or even remotely close. I'll give it a few more episodes before I decide whether or not to drop it.
ReaperEXEApr 1, 2010 6:15 AM
Apr 1, 2010 3:31 AM

Aug 2008
Well, it had a fair few good points, but a fair few bad points as well...

The OP had awesome animation, and a decent song... The ED had very good music, with well suited animation. The BGM wasn't too bad.

The animation went up and down. The blue sky background was disgusting, as were the drawings of some characters, such as Lina and her brothers group. The second half, however, was animated quite nicely.

The main characters themself seem alright (Joey, Psy, the professor), but the side characters weren't too good. Can't really say too much about Heroman yet. Some voices also didn't really fit... Especially Lina. Didn't pay too much attention to the others.

I'm not too keen on the setting being America though. Sure, its different, but it just didn't seem right. Also, the colours of the American flag on Heroman were terrible.

The episode also seemed a little slow paced, but it wasn't terrible. 3/5 for now.
Apr 1, 2010 3:32 AM

Aug 2009
(Damn, I got beat :P)

-Well that was a lot of fun. I was very entertained. Plot seems kind of similar to stuff I've seen before not in anime, but in regular comics which I bet that's what their going for. Well they definitely succeeded. I agree, it felt like watching a Saturday morning cartoon which really isn't a bad thing. I was kinda giggling at the amount of English text everywhere thinking "This is so a pre-licensed show ;P. Episode was a little slow until Heroman woke up though

-THIS OST IS AMAZING! I found myself headbanging on just about every case of BGM playing. I hope that song at the beginning was like, the aliens' theme music or something because I want to hear that every episode. The OP was alright. I liked the video more than the song. The ED, however, was FLOW so that automatically made it a great song. Combined with the moving comic book effects, I am totally watching that every week.

-I knew the kid on crutches (Psy) would be my favorite character. I think if this comes out dubbed, I'd want Spike Spencer to be Joey.

-Lol, Stan Lee can't make anything without cameoing in it somehow. It's always fun to see him in his work
Apr 1, 2010 4:32 AM

Mar 2009
Awesome...just FUXING AWESOME!!!

I loved it, it had such an American toon vibe, but still a nice Japanese undertone.

Stan Lee does it again. I love the manga Ultimo, but haven't read any of this manga.

I so can't wait for a dub on this one, I'll definitely be buying this one. And, I really hope Bandai or Sentai picks this one up to. As much as I like Funi, I'm really starting to get sick of the like 15 Voice Actors they have.

I will definitely be watching this every week, and bonus it's on CR!!!

Can't wait for more...Urahara Out!!

EDIT: The music is pure win!! The ED was amazing, in that it was FLOW!!! FLOW FTFW!!! And, the animation is absolutely gorgeous!!!
Apr 1, 2010 5:31 AM

Jul 2009
Pure awesome for a first episode, I see a lot of potential here.

I expected more cheese but I ended up with a small amount, just the whole idea of a toy becoming a robot really.
Apr 1, 2010 6:06 AM

Nov 2008
WOW! Talk about being generic and boring. But, I came with those expectations. At least the next episode we'll get to see Heroman in action.
Apr 1, 2010 6:43 AM

May 2009
AMERICA!
FUCK YEAH!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 1, 2010 7:05 AM

Jun 2009
Awesome episode! looking forward to the next one:)
Joey voice seems too girly but i think it suits him:D and I love the OST!!

Apr 1, 2010 7:15 AM

Jan 2008
Maybe if I haven't read so many U.S. comics when I was young.... dropped, generic as hell. Great production values though (except the plot).

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Apr 1, 2010 7:22 AM
Jun 2009
EXCELSIOR~
Apr 1, 2010 7:31 AM

Jan 2010
Stan Lee makes his trademark cameo appearance at about 14 min in to the episode, he's the geezer at the balcony.
Apr 1, 2010 7:34 AM

Mar 2008
Nice BONES quality and good BGM.

But seriously, setting and story are really really generic and overused. Even more than moemoe Nr. 1337. It's hardly bearable. This must have been made for little US kids.

Anyone comparing this to FLCL must have serious problems and should consult a doctor. Thanks.
Apr 1, 2010 7:36 AM

Dec 2007
I'm gay for Joey Jones.
DeadIEndApr 1, 2010 8:50 AM
Apr 1, 2010 7:47 AM

Oct 2007
it was a good opening episode and laughed at Stan Lee special appearence as he does with his works
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 1, 2010 7:49 AM

Jul 2009
I think i expected more out of this.
After i started reading the manga i got disappointed and im still a little disappointed but the animation partly makes up for it.
ill probably stick around till the end but if i get too bored of it ill drop it.
Apr 1, 2010 8:44 AM

Feb 2008
Nice starting episode, the animation was obviously the best aspect of it. And as for the story, even though this has been seen for a bajillion times, it might be rather interesting.
Apr 1, 2010 8:50 AM

Mar 2009
Wow, the art/animation is definitely the greatest aspect of Heroman for now.

By the way , what was the song that played during the PV ?
Mokyuu♥~!!

Apr 1, 2010 8:53 AM

Aug 2009
lmaonade said:

You know what? I'm really pissed I didn't hear that. I thought that was the OP and I spent like a week memorizing the lyrics.
Apr 1, 2010 8:57 AM

Sep 2007
This show gives off that Saturday morning cartoon feel. The story was a little weak but I did like the music and Bones did a good job with the animation. Overall I say it was an ok first episode but it has room to grow so I will continue to watch it.
Arowind91Apr 1, 2010 9:08 AM
]
Apr 1, 2010 9:06 AM
Nov 2009
its the first episode people, give it a chance lol.
Apr 1, 2010 9:08 AM

Jun 2009
Hybrid00 said:
AMERICA!
FUCK YEAH!

Edit: Delicious Lina thighs, nomnomnom.
-DerpApr 1, 2010 9:53 AM
Apr 1, 2010 9:10 AM

Mar 2009
garfield15 said:
lmaonade said:

You know what? I'm really pissed I didn't hear that. I thought that was the OP and I spent like a week memorizing the lyrics.

Haha i know what you meant. I was like ripping out the song from the pv i downloaded , transfered into my mp3 player and named it Roulette by Tetsuya. I knew it wasn't by FLOW 'cos it doesn't sound like them . So i assumed it was the OP therefore naming it Roulette. Rofl.

*Deletes the song*

And also, some people are calling Joey > Trap of the season .
lmaonadeApr 1, 2010 9:13 AM
Mokyuu♥~!!

Apr 1, 2010 9:27 AM

Apr 2009
I was amazed by the animation. I haven't seen an anime set in a strong American influenced setting in awhile.
Studio Bones blew me away with their reproduction of the nebulas as well.

I didn't see many blatant flaws with the animation.
Except the first part when that space ship flew off. That red effect felt so dated!

Other than the great production quality, I think the story has room to expand.
Hopefully, like any good Marvel comic, it gets better with every episode.
mell4444Apr 1, 2010 9:30 AM
Apr 1, 2010 9:29 AM

Feb 2009
So the 'Gundam meets Captain America' show of the season starts.

The very first thing that's noticeable is the production value. I must admit I'm quite impressed with some scenes, even though it's top notch Bones we're talking about. Of course it's only the first episode and I doubt they can keep this up for the rest of the show but knowing Bones, animation should be still quite good.

As for the story, well it's your typical poor bullied boy meets superhero. Let me guess: he'll become a hero, make up with the bastards that bullied him, his best friend will die, he'll go berserk, kick some alien ass, save the day, get the girl and all finishes well for great justice! But then again, who knows how this'll turn out. :)
Apr 1, 2010 9:50 AM

Feb 2008
well i am not really sure how to feel about this one. i generally don't like this type of anime but it wasn't too bad. the animation and art is pretty well done. i might watch it for a while.
Apr 1, 2010 10:21 AM

Jan 2009
lol anyone notice stan lee here he is on anime form

Apr 1, 2010 10:28 AM

Mar 2010
anyone else thinks joey looks like a girl? i kept reminding myself hes a guy but i kept fappin away.
Apr 1, 2010 10:29 AM
May 2009
UP: YES HE LOOKS LIKE A GIRL. D: in the OP he kinda looked like he had boobs

About the anime. It has a nice, not typical for Japanese productions, vibe. I liked the first episode, while watching the OP I thought I'll look forward the next episodes just to see what about Joey's parents and the girl with a guitar (got a little FLCL feel there xD)... XD but also, the OST and animation seems really awesome. I'd like to hear the "IF YOU BELIEVE YOU CAN MAKE IT" song from the trailer, though. Maybe it'll be in the OST...?
Apr 1, 2010 10:30 AM

Nov 2008
Is this supposed to start off with the typical weak American boy being bullied, a threatened relationship between the girl and has to rescue the damsel in distress? Now where have I heard that plot many times before?

I hope Stan Lee does makes this worth the watch because this episode did not do justice although I did like his appearance.

My somewhat not so subtle problem with this show is Joey's character design. The dude looks like a girl and a cute one at that.

Nuff said. Nuff said.
Maximatum99Apr 1, 2010 10:36 AM
Apr 1, 2010 10:36 AM

Jul 2009
She is a boy..o_O"
Apr 1, 2010 10:49 AM

Feb 2009
Maximatum99 said:
My somewhat not so subtle problem with this show is Joey's character design. The dude looks like a girl and a cute one at that.

This is the kind of issue that doesn't bother me anymore since Hideyoshi already made me gay. x)
Apr 1, 2010 10:54 AM

May 2009
The story is pretty generic but animation and OST are great so i'll keep watching it.
Apr 1, 2010 11:10 AM

Nov 2008
Alexstratz said:
Maximatum99 said:

This is the kind of issue that doesn't bother me anymore since Hideyoshi already made me gay. x)
Meh. There are way more attractive traps than Hideyoshi.
Apr 1, 2010 11:16 AM

Nov 2007
There wasn't anything here that was the least bit interesting. Story doesn't seem to have any promise either. Won't be continuing with this.
Apr 1, 2010 11:28 AM

Jan 2010
That was a really good way to start the new season. I'm gonna look forward to this each week.

I am proud to have Clannad as the only thing on my dropped list.
Apr 1, 2010 11:47 AM

Mar 2010
I was totally surprised by the fact the main character was a guy :D For the series itself, it can be good, but I don't think it'll blast me of my chair while watching ^^
Apr 1, 2010 11:58 AM

Oct 2007
wow, totally generic american comic setup, this sucks lol.

*goes to watch totally generic anime/manga setup shows*
Apr 1, 2010 12:12 PM

Sep 2007
Bones and Stan Lee. What a strange combination. His cameo in the show was pretty lolz. It seemed like a pretty generic start but then again, everything is fucking generic these days. At least it's better than generic-guy-meets-5-different-girls-turning-into-harem start.
Apr 1, 2010 12:24 PM

Jun 2009
I liked the episode mostly because I felt, like many people already, that nice sunday-morning cartoon vibe from it.
So far the story did not blow me away and there sure were some flaws that any 'owner-series' has. Like, why does the partner always need a catchy activating device when time is running out?! Heroman was getting him all the way to the highway, walked up to the wreck and later pulled them out and walked out of the flames...why did he need the activation to pull the roof off?!
But well, typicall flaws that happen in any series following this format.

But still I like the air of that show, the music's cool, I like OP and ED AND at least we got an antagonistic force right from the start.
I just hope they don't start turning up the filler-wave by episode 4 or so.
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
Apr 1, 2010 12:30 PM

Feb 2008
This might have potential, it's just way too early to tell. I'm assuming this will be at least 26 episodes so it might take its sweet time setting up the story and characters.

Heroman is fucking creepy, it looks like it might cry at any given moment.

The OP and ED are crap, they should've used the PV music. Oh well.
Apr 1, 2010 12:32 PM

Jun 2008
Stan Lee and his cameo appearances.
Apr 1, 2010 12:47 PM

Nov 2006
I'll just leave this here

Apr 1, 2010 12:53 PM

Aug 2009
^^HOW DID THAT HAPPEN ALREADY??

kuroshiroi said:

The OP and ED are crap

Nothing by FLOW is ever crap.
Apr 1, 2010 12:54 PM

Apr 2007
I love this already. It has a different feel to it like a few people already said, plus the animation and soundtrack are amazing so far. I'm a very big fan of Stan Lee's work so I'll just be sitting here enjoying the ride :D
Apr 1, 2010 12:55 PM
May 2008
uh this was okay

the animation is naturally pretty good (though the scrolling crowd shot at joey's school was pretty cheap - those kinds of shortcuts have no place in a show like this) and I like the art direction, but I'm not sure what to think of the writing

to begin with, the way Joey acted throughout the episode was just... weird. his emotional attachment to that robot toy could easily be explained by the fact that he's probably a huge nerd and pretty antisocial, and I brushed off his lack of interest towards Denton's discovery as simply doubt and/or thinking the guy is insane. but when his toy turned into a giant, living robot and he was simply really cheerful instead of being creeped out I started questioning the writers; is his willingness to accept any supernatural nonsense (no matter how silly and unlikely) meant to be a character trait or did the writers simply not care enough?
Apr 1, 2010 1:03 PM
Jul 2009
I do not know which group to choose;
CrunchySubs
Commie
HorribleSubs

And about quality?
Which FansubGroup will make it as well?

Thanks!!
xxx
Apr 1, 2010 1:12 PM

Feb 2008
garfield15 said:
kuroshiroi said:
The OP and ED are crap
Nothing by FLOW is ever crap.
Great artists do make crappy songs. This song is not even in the same realm as the Code Geass OPs, not to mention Eureka 7 or Naruto; they clearly phoned this one in. There's no buildup and the entire song is homogeneous. Sorry, crap.

@windy: Joey is a genderless name, short for Joseph or Josephine (Yes, I've seen Dawson's Creek, lol), so traps away? Maybe Joey will be the tsundere since Lina is definitely not one.
Apr 1, 2010 1:14 PM
May 2008
I thought Joey was a girl for the longest time, and his really, really feminine voice isn't helping either

god dammit japan

also I prefer IF YOU BELIEEEEEEEEEVE YOU CAN MAKE IIIIIIIIIT but this OP might grow on me I guess
Apr 1, 2010 1:24 PM

Jul 2009
It's like watching western cartoon except this is anime with Japanese voices.
Animation is good..thanks to Bones.Heroman is awesome robot toy ^_^
Decent first episode but hoping more interesting development later on.
Joey design is little girly to me but Psy is a cool guy with epic hair XD
Any Stan Lee work could not complete without his cameo :)
Apr 1, 2010 1:31 PM

Nov 2006
kuroshiroi said:
@windy: Joey is a genderless name, short for Joseph or Josephine (Yes, I've seen Dawson's Creek, lol), so traps away? Maybe Joey will be the tsundere since Lina is definitely not one.

Serduszko said:
I do not know which group to choose;
CrunchySubs
Commie
HorribleSubs
They're all basically ripped versions of Crunchyroll's subs with various levels of editing. Take your pick.
windyApr 1, 2010 1:36 PM
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Heroman Episode 11 Discussion

garfield15 - Jun 10, 2010

24 by ayann72_ »»
Jun 7, 2023 12:36 PM

Poll: » Heroman Episode 12 Discussion

garfield15 - Jun 17, 2010

25 by Nurguburu »»
Jul 24, 2022 9:27 AM

Poll: » Heroman Episode 5 Discussion

garfield15 - Apr 29, 2010

49 by Nurguburu »»
Jul 15, 2022 4:21 AM

Poll: » Heroman Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Chucky - Sep 23, 2010

55 by iamKetranLang »»
Apr 17, 2022 5:39 PM

Poll: » Heroman Episode 22 Discussion

belatkuro - Aug 26, 2010

20 by iamKetranLang »»
Apr 17, 2022 1:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.