Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 10, 2017 4:27 PM

Jan 2012
Curiosity killed the cat, huh. :(

I earlier remarked that the Tachikomas (i.e. blue robots) were like curious cats, and sadly the Major doesnt like that. I understand that it could be lethal in from a weapons perspective... But maybe there could be a way to perserve the code? I think its pretty outstanding that theyre able to have such rational and philosphical conversations! A beauty in one lense can be a lethal flaw when viewed by another. You can see Batou is sad about the outcome, and that he'll be doing the cheering up instead .

I have a hunch they're curiosity may be linked to the laughing man. Maybe he's a byproduct of humanity's advancment (like the tachikomas, but were sheltered?)

Cant wait for the next episode! Can officially same im HOOKED :D
Apr 19, 2017 12:34 PM

May 2016
I used to hate the Tachicomas in the beginning but after this I feel sorry for them.
Apr 27, 2017 1:01 AM

Jun 2016
That was an amazing episode, one the best so far- seemed like something straight out of an Asimov story, only better because of the excellent characterization and humour. I hope the Tachikomas won't simply disappear after this, and we'll get to see how this was fully resolved.
Oct 3, 2017 5:09 PM
Mar 2017
For some reason, I felt something, almost the same, a pity that the woman of the previous episode, must be because the tachikomas were more time in the series
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Oct 14, 2017 8:26 AM
Sep 2016
Love the Tachikomas. One of my favorite episode of this first season
Nov 27, 2017 10:24 AM

Nov 2017
Up to this point, this episode and "Chat Chat Chat" are the best in the series.

I enjoyed the nod to 2001.
garland23Nov 27, 2017 10:33 AM
Dec 1, 2017 11:54 AM

Apr 2017
My opinion on the scrapping of tachikomas is that it is an exaggerated movement, as those mini tanks are quite good for combat.

They should have tried fixing them with an expert maybe, try to solve it, or my best advice would be to reset their AI periodically, so they don't develop a far advance AI in the end.

I understand Motoko's line of thinking though.
--------
Jan 20, 2018 11:47 PM

Jun 2016
A bit on the nose with its themes about individuatliy. A good episode nonetheless. I wondered when these themes would be talked about.

I honestly side with Major on this one. The Tachikomas are supposed to be tools. Once they gain any sense of conscience, there would be trouble. I mean, they already played tricks on their bosses in this episode. One can only wonder where that could lead in the future.

Loved the 2001 reference.
Apr 18, 2018 10:02 AM
Aug 2010
This is what makes Ghost in the Shell so great. It really hits on what do you do when Artificial Intelligence starts developing in machines. And as the Major points out, it's one thing when you are working on it in a lab, but it can be dangerous when it spontaneously happens. The Tachikomas were developed to be weapons; what happens when they decide to stop listening to you? We've seen in earlier episodes that they are prone to wonder off to satisfy their own curiosity. This can easily put Section 9 in danger when they find themselves in a firefight and backup is busy playing.
Dec 16, 2018 6:07 AM

Nov 2016
Pretty interesting episode again and something I didn't expect at all.

Poor Tachikomas, tho, but it's for the better.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 31, 2019 10:55 AM

Feb 2017
Another reference in this episode: the bookworm Tachikoma was reading Flowers for Algernon, a novel in which a mentally handicapped man is given an experimental procedure to drastically increase his intelligence before eventually returning to his previous mental state. Clearly used as foreshadowing to fixing the Tachikomas' rapidly changing thought patterns.
Apr 2, 2019 9:09 AM

Feb 2011
This episode was painful to watch. It bored the living hell out of me.
Jun 17, 2019 2:00 PM

Mar 2018
I'm getting really tired of the Tachikoma's. The episode with the little girl was good but they've since taken it too far. If they keep them around I don't think I'll be able to take this show seriously anymore.
Sep 20, 2020 4:30 AM

Jan 2016
If in the future, this would ever to become a reality. Humans that preach AI equality with humans should unironically be shot.
Jan 24, 2021 2:05 PM

May 2018
rip Tachikomas, they're gonna get scrapped for reaching individuality lol
Sep 19, 2021 6:49 PM
Jun 2013
The episode before this one proved that the Tachikoma gaining too much individuality could hinder a mission. In the last episode it was supposed to be guarding the Major, but was exploring it's own curiosity. If I had a gun, I wouldn't want it getting distracted when it's a life or death situation and I need to fire a bullet; I think that was why the story began with a training involving defective weaponry, showing that if it is not 100% compatible to the user and efficient in its purpose, it can be a hindrance.

Excellent episode. Very well written. No new villains or cases and yet there was great tension and exploration of themes. One of the standout episodes of the season for sure.
Oct 11, 2021 10:08 AM

Jul 2020
This episode was alright, almost had enough of hearing the Tachikomas speak for so long (in dub lol)
Oct 20, 2021 10:39 PM

Aug 2015
It was definitely a nice episode, It certainly raises the question about how AIs can evolve and how dangerous they could be, that being said i don't see AIs reaching that level of sophistication anytime soon.
Feb 16, 2022 11:07 PM

Feb 2021
As thought provoking as always but the tachikomas voices did bother me a little
Apr 12, 2022 5:29 AM
Jul 2020
thought-provocking episode, made me wonder about me.
Nov 20, 2022 6:08 PM
Oct 2017
Wow, this is the best episode ever in the series by far. Thought provoking themes about life and death dealing with digitization and cybernetics, individuality and artificial life. They made the Tachikomas more than comedic relief and made them in the focus of plot devices for really important questions.

You are interested in both of the parties ideas, you are worried like Major about military weapons having sentient life and you are also worried about the Tachikomas getting scraped because you like them and empathize with them and what they are saying. Personally, I want to believe that artificial intelligence can be alive, and I support them fully Plus the quote about God is probably the most memorable one in the series ever. "

Mr. Batou? No matter how much sentience I can't get I will never get a ghost, a soul, right? Is that what is wrong with me?" I think the "complex" episodes with police mystery and drama in the hands of master hacker the laughing man are fine, but this is so much, much better.

For the first time ever in this anime, I can say I am really excited in to see what happens next!
PhixiatelyNov 20, 2022 6:12 PM
Dec 6, 2022 11:37 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
NO NO NO NO NO DON"T YOU DARE SCRAP THESE LITTLE MOTHER F*CKERS

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jan 1, 2023 2:40 AM

Sep 2018
Hilarious episode, but also a little creepy. 
Jan 16, 2023 6:02 PM

Oct 2019
pretty ok ep. curious more about this storyline to see if they will add more to this.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Jun 9, 2023 4:33 PM

Dec 2022
Why would you be worried about them becoming sentient when they were already designed to be sentient to begin with? A machine can only be the tech it's composed of (since they apparently don't possess "ghosts", or souls), and that includes whatever tech was responsible for giving them this level of mental aptitude, emotional capability, and unprompted adaptability to new situations. There would be no reason to create these intelligent and curious machines if they were to be nothing more than mindless automata. They were clearly designed to be empathised with in some way.

Perhaps the issue with their curiosity in scenarios where they should be focused on the mission is that they were built with childlike behaviour, which will present that problem even if their intellect and logical thinking is similar to that of an adult human.
Archean-ReturnJun 9, 2023 4:48 PM

Shaded Horizon

Jul 3, 2023 8:32 AM

Sep 2021
This episode was slow in the beginning but after being this far into the show there is always a reason to keep paying attention. The Tachikomas are very cute of course but the point that was being made about their intelligence is cool and terrifying at the same time. Initially I thought awww how cute there starting to contemplate the meaning of being a living thing, but once the Major and Batou had to go to such lengths just to have a conversation about them. I realized that as machines that were designed as weapons and having the capability to do serious damage (as we have seen before) just how much they needed to not underestimate them. 
Jul 22, 2023 12:47 PM
Mar 2023
pobres tachikomas,no saben lo que les espera
Feb 14, 2:47 AM
Dec 2018
The questions in the episode are beautiful, not among the best episodes in the series, but they are very enjoyable. The news of the robot’s cancellation is sad because they are fun, and at the same time, Mokoto is honest with her caution because of their strange behavior. Well, the person must be very careful.
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

153 by MineFord_gurme »»
Apr 5, 7:53 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Aug 8, 2008

84 by Satyr_icon »»
Mar 28, 9:02 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

88 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:33 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Sep 8, 2008

50 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:32 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jul 12, 2008

77 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.