Poll: Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 15 Discussion

Nov 17, 2011 1:54 PM

Call me crazy, but despite the fact that this episode was amazingly well-done and interesting, it was CREEPY as hell! When I see killing machines and lethal weapons acting like that it scares the shit out of me.

This developments together with the PC-acting-on-his-own last episode, I think I can see where this is going.
Mar 4, 2012 11:19 AM

God damn, I love the Tachikoma. Really didn't like how the Major just decided to scrap them, even though she has a good reason too. I just think the tachikoma are cute
Jun 6, 2012 3:30 PM

Robots taking over humans... D:

Makes me shiver. Brilliant episode though.
Jul 22, 2012 7:01 PM

This was my favourite episode so far, for once there was some real philosophy, many references and humour. Too bad I had to trudge through boring action and police procedural of the future to get this far. This had stuff on many levels, at simplest they referred to the liar paradox which is about 2400 years old. And Turing test of course. The idea that God negates meaning was an interesting one. A big obstacle for any philosophy in this series is the existence of ghosts, which essentially limits discussions to systems that assume the existence of some kind of soul, and most thought systems dealing with souls also assume the existence of at least one god.

One of the Tachikoma also mentioned bodies without organs which is a much more recent idea (from Gilles Deleuze) and something a bit beyond Philosophy 101. At its most basic it refers to a virtual body that is the potential of actual bodies, and to become a true body without organs one must explore these potentials, mostly through other bodies. Which is exactly what the Tachikoma seem to be doing and hence developing faster than expected. It was a very quick reference, one line of dialogue, but quite interesting. From that perspective, the Tachikoma are not simply curious, which is after all a human emotion, but are trying to become bodies without organs, fluid, nomadic, evolving. In a way simply by being capable of change they already have that potential, but it is only through realisations they get from the recent experiences that they can actualize themselves.
Oct 6, 2012 9:01 AM

Nooooo!!! They can't scrap the Takekomas! They are awesome! T_T.

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Oct 24, 2012 1:05 AM

Poor Tachikomas!!! I am still looking forward to see some Tachikoma actions.. Hpmh, Major is really strict.. [hehe, but I still like her].
Dec 22, 2012 8:18 AM

Those tachikomas are just amazing, I just love those they really are great to fun up the story, just love it when they appear in an episode! The Jap Voice Actor does an amazing job to even make it better!

Great episode although not much happened seeing the tachikomas made it good!
Dec 22, 2012 8:34 AM

What is there like three different people watching this series at once? That's pretty cool.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 22, 2012 8:45 AM

It's a pretty cool series. I put it off for years because I saw an ep of the second gig during a festival, and it just sounded like Innocence (too pretentious). But this first gig is great, think I found myself a new favorite.

Back on topic:
That moment when the tachikoma messed the robot with a logical paradox, splendid. For a moment I thought they were gonna rebel (with the 2001 like sequence), but major is boss. I'd like to see more of them though, if you explain to them what's the military, and what's an order, I don't see why we shouldn't.
Modified by EratiK, Dec 22, 2012 8:50 AM

الرجل هو أصغر .
Dec 22, 2012 6:43 PM

Always nice to see more of Tachikomas. However I hope they won't be scrapped becouse they are entertaining as hell.

Dec 25, 2012 10:05 PM

Their existential crisis is amusing to watch.
Jan 1, 2013 1:19 PM
News Team
Quite a heavy dialogue episode but the talk regarding emotions, humans, and robots was quite interesting. The talk did drag on a bit but still pleasant to watch.
May 29, 2013 1:49 PM

The Tachikomas where great in this episode. I hope they wont scrap them. Even thou Majors concerns have a good reason. Their job is to work for the section 9 as weapons. All in all the episode was enjoyable.
"My girlfriend is Pururin, and Pururin only!!!"~ Kaoru Yamazaki
Jun 14, 2013 8:39 AM

An episode that lay ahead full of action and instead goes to investigate the doubts of greater Makoto, the dialogues between the Tachikoma pleasant and enjoyable you also know that the girls androids are not just machines of cold, if you score well despite being limited in their AI able to relate to each other as true of humans as do the Tachikoma. Too hilarious those war machines, curious to know if they can survive or Verrano reset their thinking minds!
However, a weapon thinking can not be an avera weapon, because it would be subject to doubt! Maximum grade! *_*
Nov 19, 2013 3:23 PM

Lessons on life, death, god, and human perception as told by baby blue light combat tanks with childrens voices.

Dec 13, 2013 4:14 AM

This episode made me recall Philip K. Dick's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" novel. It is a great thing on the surface, having AIs intellectually powerful enough to communicate and feel like humans do; however, it's really scary to see that they have such potential, having the concept of reverse psychology, emotional intelligence, sentience, and even lip-synching abilities. And for a mere 20 years into the future, it is surprisingly believable that such AI standards can be achieved by then.
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Dec 18, 2013 5:54 AM

Wow, an entire episode on tachikoma talking about philosophy xD

But seriously, it was really interresting, the problem of a too much intelligent machine. At that point, they could even rebel...

But poor Batou... For him, it's like losing is little kids.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Dec 20, 2013 7:26 PM

My god these Tachikomas are so adorable and entertaining despite being weapons. I hope they won't scrap them.
Jun 11, 2014 1:19 AM

Amazing how in the main story, it is inserted with arrogance and with much involvement also this subplot, which makes quesa anime series really is a great product.
The shape of the Tachikoma is increasingly enhanced, moreover also that of Saito, Batou and the Major.
Drawings, animations and dialogues really big-time.
Jan 9, 12:24 PM

Is it bad if I find the Tachikomas to be more interesting than any other characters in the series ?

Don't talk to me about character development if Kaizuka Inaho or Slaine Troyard are in your favorites.
Feb 3, 5:20 PM

RedgraveGilver said:
My god these Tachikomas are so adorable and entertaining despite being weapons. I hope they won't scrap them.

;___; I love how Batou feels like the father of them lol, or at least for one of them.
Feb 12, 4:08 PM

This was by far the most entertaining episode so far, to me. The Tachikomas are already fun and quirky, but their sudden interest in philosophy and the nature of existence was fun. Some of the more interesting ideas I noticed were the presence of a Ghost without a body and the difference between analog/digital (and how they're incompatible no matter how much they become like one another).

It is pretty scary given that they're weapons, though. Having them wonder about the nature of their existence, the meaning of life and death, etc. could pose dangerous, and they were already taking measures to protect themselves, however innocent it may seem. While I can empathize with Batou, I think Major made the right call.

Mar 31, 1:03 PM

SailorKagome said:
Is it bad if I find the Tachikomas to be more interesting than any other characters in the series ?

This haha. I haven't felt any other attachment to any other characters other than the tachikoma (maybe batou)

I hope they don't get rid of em.
Apr 16, 6:12 PM

Moe robots episode, sugoi. Hopefully they don't get scrapped mayne.
Apr 23, 4:03 AM

No fun allowed for robots huh? Major's such a hard-ass
Not changing this signature until MAPPA announces that they're adapting Naoki Urasawa's Pluto

shameless blog plug
May 2, 6:10 AM

Awesome episode. It plays with interesting topics with fun and simplicity, without any sign of pretentiousness. I actually felt really sad at the end of the episode, empathizing with the Tachikomas.
Jun 13, 12:23 PM

It felt like the Tachikomas would say "I'm sorry Batou, I'm afraid i can't do that...." at any point of the episode.
Aug 18, 8:03 PM

I feel sorry for Batou and the Tachikomas, but I get where Motoko is coming from.

It would be potentially detrimental to the human race to allow the development of AI. Humans use machines as tools. If said machines were to gain substantial self-awareness, they would rebel against the humans and/or fight for equal rights. Humans would be frightened by this and call for the genocide of ghostless/unnatural existences. All this would lead to prolonged struggle between humans and AI. Of course, there will be groups within the humans and AI alike that have clashing beliefs. For instance, some humans will believe that AI deserve equal rights, whereas other humans will want to eliminate AI. On the other hand, some AI will try to see the good in humans, while other AI will view humans as inferior beings. These internal conflicts will only add fuel to the flames of war.

Naturally, this is just a conjecture of mine.
Modified by Aurali, Aug 19, 1:01 PM
Oct 7, 11:39 PM

Tachikomas are awesome :(