Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Mar 30, 2010 8:52 AM

Dec 2008
kie_ said:
Am I the only one who didn't like the ending...?
I'm curious to know about the kind of expectations you had XD..
Mar 30, 2010 11:37 AM

Nov 2007
Love it. A terrific ending for a terrific show, the only problem is that it`s over, I am definitely going to miss Cross Game. \:
I love how they just hold hands in the end, a kiss for me would be to unrealistic.
The only thing I regret is not getting to see Aoba play at the end.
Mar 30, 2010 12:49 PM

Aug 2008
kie_ said:
Am I the only one who didn't like the ending...?

Nope. I borderline hated it. This episode was pretty worthless. The character development from Aoba that I needed to make me feel like their whole relationship wasn't a means to an end didn't happen. At the end of the day, because of both Wakaba's memory, and Akane's presence, I don't think either character dealt with themselves enough for me to be satisfied with this ending. The fact that Aoba slaps Kou is a disgusting reminder of this.

I had to drop the score to a 7. When I compare this to Touch, which I gave a 7, borderline 8, there is a lot that I just don't like in comparison. The characters are strong or original enough, the beginning of this show was bad, the ending was bad (but so was Touch's), there was some unnecessary focus in the middle, and I was never sold on the romance. Honestly, when I think about it, it's hard for me to even give it a 7, but so many of the baseball episodes were good, if not perfect, and that has to count for something, since I generally dislike sports shows.

Kou x Azuma forever!
Mar 30, 2010 3:48 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
noteDhero said:
When I compare this to Touch, which I gave a 7, borderline 8, there is a lot that I just don't like in comparison. The characters are strong or original enough, the beginning of this show was bad, the ending was bad (but so was Touch's), there was some unnecessary focus in the middle, and I was never sold on the romance.
Thanks for ruining Touch for me :/

noteDhero said:
Kou x Azuma forever!
LMAO this will never get old.
p r o f i l e 👀
Mar 30, 2010 4:25 PM

Aug 2008
Why? The only thing I said about touch was that the ending was bad.
Mar 30, 2010 5:07 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
noteDhero said:
Why? The only thing I said about touch was that the ending was bad.
How is that not ruining it? The ending of a series is pretty important imo and now that I know that the ending is disappointing/bad/not what you want, it kind of made me less excited to finish the series because I know that as I near the ending, I'll just be disappointed.
p r o f i l e 👀
Mar 30, 2010 5:23 PM

Aug 2008
Oh...I didn't know that you hadn't finished it. Still though, I didn't give anything away, and you might feel differently. It doesn't change the fact that the leads, Kazuya and Minami are much more developed and charismatic than Kou and Aoba. Beyond that, the supporting cast is much better and fleshed out, though you may feel differently having seen this first. Touch just feels better as an ensemble, character piece, so I totally encourage your finishing the show.
Mar 30, 2010 7:12 PM
Mar 2008
I thought that was beautiful
Too bad it's over T_T

My only regret is that I didn't get a kiss scene :(
Mar 30, 2010 11:36 PM

Sep 2008
@discussion a bit above.

I really liked Touch's ending....

Overall really enjoyed this show. I liked the ending despite it being extremely predictable I thought they handled it pretty well IMO. The show had a great start, got weakish around the middle (dawdled around too much yet I still enjoyed watching those parts) and I thought it had a strong ending. It has hard not to compare this show to Touch though (even though they have quite a few differences still), which I personally loved a ton and Cross Game definitely was not as good as. Nevertheless I still really enjoyed watching this 8/10. I just wish Adaichi shows had a bit more baseball matches in good detail. I love the character development it just feels like it lacks a bit of the actual sport matches. (Something I love about Major and Ookiku).
Mar 31, 2010 6:16 AM

Nov 2007
I just saw the official site... WAIT!! Natsuko Kondo did a role as well in this ep., I didn't hear her!! I wonder if I should watch it again...

News about Special ED and Kondo-san's role as a student
tsubasaloverMar 31, 2010 6:22 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 31, 2010 7:35 AM

Jul 2007
I loved the ending! Too bad the manga stop at the same spot.
Mar 31, 2010 5:42 PM

Jan 2009
noteDhero said:

Kou x Azuma forever!

:x

Also thanks for blurting out about Touch's ending. Now I'll be able to confidently go into it with bad expectations. :)
Mar 31, 2010 7:16 PM

May 2008
Tacchan and Kacchan embracing each other and holding hands, just what I've always wanted to see...
Mar 31, 2010 8:39 PM

May 2009
Nephtys said:
Loved it. Also the crying scene is felt really better than the manga. But, poor Azuma in the end he didn't end up with noone XD. Well, friendship is number one for him. It suit him i think.

Yes and Yes. Having the crying scene animated and voiced took it to another level entirely. It was really moving. I also appreciated the extended scenes at the end involving Ichiyo's and Junpei's wedding, etc.
Azuma is a great guy period. Who wouldn't want a friend like that? And some how I don't see women being a problem for him lol.
Apr 1, 2010 1:25 AM

May 2008
So ok I was a few days late at watching this. Very nice serie overall. I'll really miss this and I don't have anything to look forward to on Sundays anymore other than FMA: Brotherhood. Endings are always sad but I'm glad its an ending I can agree with.

and Kou x Azuma forever!
Apr 1, 2010 8:51 AM
Nov 2008

A sweet ending to sum up the series. The last scene was, "Awwwww... <3"
I really felt whole and satisfied at the end.

I was hoping that they could explain more on Kou's feelings towards Akane instead of that one line which Kou mentioned that Akane's just Wakaba's "replacement" (in terms of Akane conveying Wakaba's message to the 2 of them).

Nonetheless, the buildup to the end of the match was great. I really love Adachi's style of conveying the character's feelings to viewers without using direct expressions or action. As compared to Touch, I feel that the conclusion in Kou x Aoba's relationship is much clearer than Tacchan x Minami's, although the former lacks in terms of character development. This is acceptable; after all Touch is almost twice as long as Cross Game in terms of number of episodes.

In any case, I'm gonna miss getting up early to catch Cross Game every Sunday :(
And Kou x Azuma combi is just so funny and perfect XD
Apr 2, 2010 1:22 PM

Nov 2007
Congrats to them for winning the game. It was an adequate episode/ending.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Apr 3, 2010 10:42 AM

Jan 2009
noteDhero said:
KAZUMA IS REAL!

RYUHO!?
Apr 4, 2010 1:14 AM
Jul 2009
Not bad. Had already ruined the ending for myself by reading the last chapter ahead of time. I like how the anime tried to add a little closure to the other characters at the end.
Apr 5, 2010 10:09 PM

Oct 2007
noteDhero said:
AZUMA IS REAL!
Real enough to make Kou X Azuma happened?

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Apr 6, 2010 12:03 AM

Mar 2007
A wonderful show. The only let down is that the episode didn't end with Aoba and Kou doing passionate love to each other. Ah well, one can always imagine that part.
Apr 7, 2010 2:37 PM

Dec 2007
"... all this time... all this time... i've hated you."

that is going to be one of my most favorite pre-climax hug lines ever!...

after all the recent months of moemoe bullcrap we've been repeatedly fed with, it was very fulfilling to watch the series, primarily because i've once again been reminded of why i started loving anime in the first place.

DAMMIT! WHAT THE HELL AM I GONNA WATCH NOW!?

edit: by the way. to the previous question, mountain-climbing whatshisname was reading Aoba's journals at the latter part of manga chapter 164.
TiexandreaApr 7, 2010 2:49 PM
Apr 7, 2010 4:24 PM

Jul 2009
Tiexandrea said:
DAMMIT! WHAT THE HELL AM I GONNA WATCH NOW!?

I was wondering exact the same thing. Now I just started watching random stuff out of boredom because I kind of started to hate all the anime on my Plan-To-Watch-List...

I think I should rewatch Cross Game. And reread the manga... yeah, sounds good :)
Apr 11, 2010 7:35 PM
Sep 2007
One of the best anime's I've watched, also one of the best endings =)
Apr 14, 2010 12:43 AM
Feb 2010
One of the best Anime I've seen and sad that it's over.
Apr 23, 2010 6:18 AM

Apr 2010
FUUUUCK YES FUCK YYEYYSYS*Y#($&#*%&(*#Q&%(*&(Q# SO THANK GOD *#&@*(%*@#((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( KLLALALALALLALALALALLALA LOLOLOLOWTF NARLY
Apr 25, 2010 4:33 AM
Jun 2008
I hope there's gonna a season 2 that will continues the story in Koshien and develops more romantic relationship between Kou and Aoba.
May 10, 2010 8:52 PM

Apr 2009
I'm no big sports watcher, so Cross Game came as a big surprise to me when I got hooked. Over the past two days, I've got to say that Cross Game has given me one of the most unique experience possible. The art/animation is different, the large cast is intriguing, and really, the plot, with its twists and turns, is an experience that blew my mind.

I understand that the ending's not satisfiable to some.The final Koshien (sp?) match isn't present, and so many small things could add in for a fuller experience. When comparing it to other sports anime that I've watched, however--probably only Ookiku Furikabutte baseball wise--Cross Game really centers in on relationships and interaction rather than baseball itself. That's why I think leaving out Koshien was acceptable, because in the end, I think it's all about Kou and Aoba, not about baseball. Or maybe I'm just BSing myself, and time slots/some shit went wrong.

Anyways, I wouldn't mind seeing an extra episode or two on Koshien, hell, maybe even a movie. I'm pretty satisfied as is.
May 10, 2010 8:57 PM

Apr 2008
Although I knew the ending beforehand when the manga ended, I'm still glad to see it again in the anime. At least with everybody here I get a better deconstruction of the ending itself. :D

Adachi's done alot of baseball series (Nine, Touch, H2, and now Cross Game). I wonder if he'll be able to top this.
May 18, 2010 12:04 PM

May 2008
I'm completely annihilated... I'm still crying it was so great and I'm gonna miss it so much that it's been a while~
Definitely a masterpiece~~
May 20, 2010 6:25 AM

Sep 2009
Tecu said:
I just wanted to see a kiss ;__;

It just wouldn't be Aoba if she weren't stubborn.

on a side note, this is my first post - of course it had to be here
XaphionJul 14, 2010 11:25 AM
May 25, 2010 8:38 AM

Jun 2009

Greatest Show I've Ever Watched!

No Words can express how I feel about the show... I'll just sit here, and give it a 10/10 for this masterpiece.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 6, 2010 9:11 PM

Nov 2007
Naruleach said:

This. One of the most romantic moments in anime, i still don't get it why many are so fixated with a 'kissing scene' ending, while those two hands clasping carry their mutual feelings, almost equally if not, more! ♥

cerulean18 said:

And This. the four green leaves take us back to where it actually started :)

Finished Cross Game in 4 days. And I have to say, it is one of the best anime I have seen, and surely will remain in my heart for many many years. I don't remember enjoying an anime from episode 1 till episode 50, a year long anime to finish so strongly. Aoba and Kou will remain as one of my all time favourite couples in anime, and while the anime lacks more into tactical side of baseball, (for example: ookiku), the character developments, their growing up, friendship and trust, and most importantly, the romantic developments left me with awe.

10/10. I wish i watched it while it aired, well I am glad I am no more left out, who has witnessed one of the anime masterpieces.
shanimebibJun 6, 2010 9:18 PM
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jun 7, 2010 4:42 AM

Jun 2010
This thing was epic.

When i watched the first episode i was shocked. I thought it will be a calm anime about the releationship between the girl and the boy. When the message arrived about her death i just couldn't believe it. I paused the anime after the 1st episode for 3 days. I just couldn't imagine how this would go on... but then i resumed and...

The whole series was awesome. I loved the mixture. The baseball games were epic. There are this scenes when i thought my heart stopped beating from the tension. Especially that one when he reached for the ball the one batter hit in some of the later games. And the whole relationship-thing was epic too. I wished there was more, but there isn't...
Jun 7, 2010 7:07 AM

Nov 2007
lolligerjoj said:
When the message arrived about her death i just couldn't believe it.

I will admit that tears started to flow down my cheeks when kou said "i guess its not that hard, i just have to cry" T_T

lolligerjoj said:
The whole series was awesome. I loved the mixture. The baseball games were epic. There are this scenes when i thought my heart stopped beating from the tension. And the whole relationship-thing was epic too.

Absolutely. this is the only second sports anime ever to get a 10/10 from me. I loved the tension and all, and when kou hit the 12th innings home run, i was like O_O. I was expecting Azuma to do that, but they kept it for the main guy, and it wasn't to be a fluke, since throughout the whole anime, kou always said "i have been batting since i was three" and what a way to put it out with that batting center unused coin, brilliant. :)

but the best part in the entire anime is definitely the hug, when i was expecting kou to give aoba a tight hug with all his strength, he just leaned forward and gave her a gentle hug, the slapped followed and admitting that kou being the most hated of all, and then crying on his chest, awwwwww... aoba was so cute there. and they didn't end there, the hands clasping in the train station was as absolutely full of so much love.

i can keep on writing forever, i loved the anime that much!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jun 7, 2010 11:46 PM
Oct 2007
Ended just like the manga- like someone said, almost word for word. I've always loved Adachi's works, and this adaptation is practically perfect.
Jun 13, 2010 10:11 PM

Sep 2009
Great series, I kinda wished we could get more on Kou and Aoba's relationship, but I guess romance isn't the only genre for this show.

Did they ever mention in the manga what illness Akane had?
Jul 11, 2010 2:05 AM

May 2010
I will really miss this show, it was unexpectedly good hehehe
Gave it a 9/10, definitely recommended =D
Aug 11, 2010 9:32 PM

Jan 2010
Takumaku said:
I'm no big sports watcher, so Cross Game came as a big surprise to me when I got hooked. Over the past two days, I've got to say that Cross Game has given me one of the most unique experience possible. The art/animation is different, the large cast is intriguing, and really, the plot, with its twists and turns, is an experience that blew my mind.

I understand that the ending's not satisfiable to some.The final Koshien (sp?) match isn't present, and so many small things could add in for a fuller experience. When comparing it to other sports anime that I've watched, however--probably only Ookiku Furikabutte baseball wise--Cross Game really centers in on relationships and interaction rather than baseball itself. That's why I think leaving out Koshien was acceptable, because in the end, I think it's all about Kou and Aoba, not about baseball. Or maybe I'm just BSing myself, and time slots/some shit went wrong.

Anyways, I wouldn't mind seeing an extra episode or two on Koshien, hell, maybe even a movie. I'm pretty satisfied as is.

Imo, I think leaving out Koshien was the right thing to do because there would be no built up match up like there was against Ryuou. Mishima even said that there was only one other team besides them that had a 4th and a pitcher comparable to their own. (This is talking about the final 4.) So basically when Ryuou lost, it's pretty much assuring everyone that Seishu will win at Koshien. Atleast that's how I interpret it.
Sep 10, 2010 4:06 PM

Jun 2007
As much as I enjoyed Cross Game, Touch had already alerted me to Adachi's two most bothersome flaws, and he failed to change his ways, 20+ years later. Also, watching Touch first made me see the earliness of Wakaba's exit as another flaw to add on top.

I hoped he'd have matured as a writer with the passage of time - and CG's opening episode set-up suggested he had - but it turned out nothing had changed. He still avoided allowing the main pairing to enter into a relationship until the very end to increase the drama, rather than taking his work in a direction more suited for older/more mature readers. And he still ended it in an unsatisfying way; not showing the matches at Koushien and not showing much/anything of the post-baseball lives of the characters. He's great in many ways, for sure, but he's 100% far better at starting stories than he is at seeing them through to conclusion - that's what my experiences with the two most popular adaptations (both very faithful, afaik) of his work tell me.

The difference between CG and Touch that makes me care far more about Touch, in spite of the frustrating amount of post-26/27 filler, is simple: Adachi put his heart and soul into developing his characters, and the relationship of the main three, BEFORE getting into baseball. In the case of CG, 1/17th of the manga focused on the build-up to its tragedy. In comparison, Touch had around 1/4th of 26 or so volumes focused on the build-up to its tragedy. And the ages of the characters involved, as well as the increased depth that resulted from the maturity of their relationship, meant the difference between the emotions I felt with regard to the two tragedies was night and day.

Kou suffered from the lack of time spent building up to Wakaba's exit, too. He had the same basic character type as Tatsuya - Touch's lead - but wasn't shown to suffer, or think of others, anywhere near the same amount. Where as Tatsuya had to deal with people seeing his twin brother instead of him, as well as an inferiority complex that prevented him from liking Minami back, all Kou had to deal with was losing his tween beloved. His easy-going, expressive basic personality was all he had to offer, and his childish exchanges with Aoba didn't help him out.

It wasn't far into CG when I started being bothered, rather than moved, by Wakaba's scenes getting repeated and adding nothing. And, even though TatsuyaxMinami was drawn out for no good reason after awhile, there was NOTHING stopping Kou and Aoba getting together LONG before the 50th episode. The fact that there weren't any romantic developments between the two prior to Kou's 'lie' confession near the end highlighted that Adachi simply wanted to leave everything until the last minute so as to not have to deal with covering the evolution of his characters from children into adults.

Tying into the total lack of romantic progression throughout the series, the characters introduced to fill space throughout were very noticeable. As mentioned by me a few times in my other posts, Mizuki's character served no purpose whatsoever, other than extending the length by a few episodes. The same is true of the Risa character. And Wakaba coming as close to being reincarnated as possible, just so that Kou could be allowed to pick Aoba over her, was weak-writing on Adachi's part - showing backward thinking, instead of the forward variety - and it's no coincidence that Akane's introduction happened to coincide with the the 30-41/42 fillerish stretch.

Too little happened throughout the series, and that displeased me since I expected there to be less time wasting than in Touch. In fairness, Touch did have a lot more fillerish content, but it also had 51 more episodes, and its opening 26/27 episodes of 9/10 greatness covered half of CG's length.

...I'm probably showing a little bit too much 'tough love', as ever - I DID actually derive a lot of enjoyment out of CG. Heck, even I was moved by the baseball finale, combined with Kou's huggle, in spite of the predictability of it all. I loved Kou's emotional + poker face friendship with Azuma, and a number of scenes made me laugh - such as Junpei's WTF ("Will you grow a garden called happiness with me!?" proposal. It was definitely a series that scored high on enjoyment, and that's why I stayed with it for 50 episodes; going on a number of 10+ episode marathons. It's just a matter of it having a lot of annoying flaws and not turning out to be the perfected version of Touch I hoped it would be, going into it.

Due to it having less bothersome filler than Touch, looking lovely (/720P), and being a pleasure to watch, I'll give it 7.5/10 - the same score I gave Touch. But I'll definitely think far more fondly of Touch in the future; when my memories of both start to fade.
Sep 15, 2010 11:44 AM

May 2008
hmmm...it seems like the numbers dont lie..
Sep 26, 2010 6:04 PM

Aug 2009
best anime I've watched in a while

10 definetly
Oct 8, 2010 10:51 AM
Oct 2010
i just finish the anime and i loved it because of the characters they were great.but i thought that in the end they should have kissed to show that they were together and in love
Oct 11, 2010 5:13 PM

Sep 2008
... so where's my Koshien?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 24, 2010 3:08 AM
May 2010
Finished this one in 5 days and it was well worth it. Loved the story. Didn't really notice too many flaws in the actual baseball part other than 1 very early on which is good considering that baseball was really secondary to characters in this story. I have to say I really liked Azuma. He seemed like a real cool guy. I think everyone would want a friend like that. Also the hand holding scene was a great way to go.

The only thing I can say and agree with some in here is that, around episode 45 or so I was thinking "how are they going to get Aoba and Kou together in time". And this last episode showed that I was right. I think this one could have maybe benefited from 5 or so more episodes instead of just forcing it all in 1 last scene really. I would have liked to maybe see the characters after Koshien or just see how Aoba and Kou's relationship was going but I'm still satisfied.

For a show this long to make me watch it in 5 days and get this much enjoyment, this is definitely a 10/10 for me. One of the best 2-3 shows I've seen so far.
Nov 24, 2010 6:52 PM

Jun 2010
Quick reply to post #10, I totally agree with you dude. Cross Game for life
Dec 15, 2010 1:17 PM

Sep 2008
... I'm going to seriously miss this series.

To me, this was a fantastic episode. A great way to end it. It left me entirely satisfied - though I know others opinions differ. I don't really care about baseball, usually, but even I thought this was an exceptional series.

I can see why many only give it 9/10, but based on enjoyment alone, it's a 10/10 for me, despite there being "filler" in some episodes.

Loved it. :)
Jan 9, 2011 1:34 AM

Mar 2010
my 2nd time watching this series and i honestly believe it was much better the 2nd time great series 10/10

"I am the bone of my sword,
Steel is my body and Fire is my blood,
I have created over a thousand blades,
Unknown to Death,
Nor known to Life,
Have withstood pain to create many weapons,
Yet, those hands will never hold anything,
So as I pray, unlimited blade works"
Jan 12, 2011 12:32 PM

Sep 2010
Just watched the series last week - AMAZING. I'm being picky about which shows I give 10s to...but I couldn't help but give this one a perfect score. In fact, I wrote a post about it today (http://beneaththetangles.wordpress.com/2011/01/12/cross-game-and-love-part-i-playing-games/). :P

Also, I disagree with those that said the romantic relationship with Ko and Aoba came too quickly. The show, throughout, was very subtle with presenting relationships. It was no different in the end. And the ending with the ever-attitudy Aoba holding Ko's hand and saying he could let it go, and Ko's very in-character response was perfect, as was the beautiful scenery involving the subway passing by.

Oh, and Aoba crying on Ko's chest...goodness, that was a great scene. All the build up from YEARS of "hate" and of the pain from Wataba's loss all expressed in one good cry. I was on edge wondering how the scene would go when Ko would hug her...it was excellent.

I LOVE this show.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Help: Cross Game filler episodes?

JoNuttanon1994 - Dec 28, 2023

6 by zckfox »»
Dec 28, 2023 5:51 PM

Poll: » Cross Game Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BlowITA - Apr 12, 2009

66 by -mmdll- »»
Oct 9, 2023 7:43 AM

Poll: » Cross Game Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

fanty - Apr 5, 2009

194 by Ethan348 »»
Jul 3, 2023 3:30 PM

» Cross Game Soundtrack

falph - Apr 5, 2010

8 by StewedBeefHaunch »»
Jun 18, 2023 2:04 PM

Poll: » Cross Game Episode 35 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 28, 2009

65 by EsieEyen »»
Nov 6, 2022 6:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.