Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 26, 2010 7:02 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ugh, I have to say that upon hearing all the complaints the critics gave this movie, that it would actually turn out alright since I was hoping most hadn't played any of the games. No though, this movie was pretty lame. I did manage to get through it, but at the same time, as the movie progressed I started to forget I was even watching a movie about FF. It didn't even feel like the world of Final Fantasy for starters, but instead some CG space movie. I mean, there weren't even any Chocobos. Many of the main cast seemed bland and uninspired at best. :/
Mar 22, 2011 2:35 PM

Aug 2010
Advent Children blows this film out of the water! This film was just so slow and boring. Wow. Wow. I was expecting so much more. This film was the reason I almost didn't watch Advent Children.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Feb 23, 2012 9:50 PM
Master Otaku

Mar 2009
This movie is better than Advent Children. This actually has an interesting plot and it was different.
- Justin T. Poindexter
Jul 20, 2012 9:39 PM

Jul 2011
malvarez1 said:
This film was the reason I almost didn't watch Advent Children.

My friends had to tie me down to a chair to get me to watch Advent Children after the complete failure this movie was. I'm glad they did, because it definitely washed the arid taste out of my mouth left by this subpar film.
Jul 27, 2012 6:12 AM
Jul 2018
Justp94 said:
This movie is better than Advent Children. This actually has an interesting plot and it was different.

Yeah the only reason AC is considered better because of the fights. Plot is almost nonexistent, and the only thing that supports it is the game lore.
Jul 27, 2012 7:49 AM

Nov 2011
SergioSource said:
Justp94 said:

Yeah the only reason AC is considered better because of the fights. Plot is almost nonexistent, and the only thing that supports it is the game lore.

And even then the movie shat on the game's lore with more retcon's and out of character moments than Marvel on crack.
The Art of Eight
Aug 14, 2013 3:31 PM

Sep 2010
disgrace to the Final Fantasy franchise

1/10 I can't believe I wasted $7 on this as a tween I only got it cause I really loved the Final Fantasy games I had. FF VII: AC is a million times better imo.

If this was just an space/sci fi and nothing to do with Final Fantasy then probably 5-6/10.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Dec 24, 2013 6:48 AM

Jun 2012
well i am a FF fan as well but i think it is better there is no game out of this movie cause then the people who would have played the game would dislike the movie.

but to think people are saying this got nothing to do with FF i got to disagree with cause of course there are no chocobo's and much magic stuff like everyone said but the story is feeling like a real FF story with the technology stuff and other things and the music to also the main people seem like people from a game and of course they have given up hope but that you see in some FF parts to at some point + in some parts almost all main people offer them self for 1 person to save the world so i don't how people can say it got nothing to do with FF and why they complain.

also people who are saying FF VII movies where better i am not sure that is true cause VII is my favorite in game so the animation was a bit disappointing cause there i really hoped to feel the epic feeling of the game back which didn't happen for me not that i disliked the movie of VII but i missed it.

which is why i could enjoy the movie i never played a game about this story which make sense cause it doesn't exist so i didn't expect anything of it either.

feel free to say what ya want to me and i think many people will disagree with my point of view but if you didn't like it you probably knew from the start that you wouldn't like it at all so you shouldn't have bothered watching it then and stop complaining.
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Mar 23, 2015 7:24 PM

Nov 2014
This was a great movie for it's time. Not sure how it is related to Final Fantasy though.

Sep 11, 2015 6:26 AM

Aug 2013
The movie actually wasn't that bad. I thought the CGI looked good. My only problem was I had trouble feeling anything for the characters.
Aug 17, 2016 8:39 PM

Aug 2013
I don't think this movie was that bad, pretty lame I must admit not really that bad. Despite the CGI being really good I feel like the characters facial animation really did a pretty awkward job of conveying emotions. When the general voiced by James Woods was all shocked by how shit went all wrong his face, his expression didn't match the dialogue, it didn't convey to me this feeling of panic more like slight annoyance like he wanted a sugar cookie from Subway but they where all out.
Aug 17, 2016 10:51 PM

Jul 2009
This was pretty bad honestly. I remember falling asleep really fast when I saw it as a kid. Tried rewatching it recently and it wasn't any better. Felt like a cheesy teen drama mixed with survival horror in space with adult characters. Not surprised Square Enix closed down their movie studio after this wreck. Advent Children was much more watchable.

I don't have super high hopes for Kingsglaive either, but the crazy visuals are certainly remarkable. Here's hoping SE hired better writers and directors already.
Oct 13, 2017 2:30 AM

Oct 2015
This movie was okay and animation visuals were good considering they from way back. When they were ascending Aki holding Gray's body i thought he would wake up in the end but nope. But it was not bad nonetheless.6/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

May 31, 2019 9:52 PM

Dec 2012
I wish this was better. It was great visually and had some good ideas/themes but the characters were pretty bland and the plot was predictable.

I'd seen Advent Children beforehand so I was hoping this movie would be better but it was actually worse imo. Advent Children really ruins the characters of FFVII and is pretty simplistic plot-wise but at least it was fun.

Couldn't say this movie was fun.
Oct 11, 2019 3:53 PM

Aug 2008
I think the overlying message of this movie was that brute force is no use without understanding the motive. Great message that many people should think about.
Jan 5, 2021 1:47 AM

Feb 2020
Everything was going great untill the final part which was very forced. The way how male protagonist and antagonist died was super dumb and forced.
Why did Dr sid survived ? ( that guy definitely had a inbuild plot armor). He is the type of guy who should have died first.

the concept was nice (had potential), but potential was only used superficially and ending was forced to show some bitter sweet way of greatness.

atleast its better than 1994 predecessor Legend of the Crystals.
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Jun 30, 2021 12:41 PM
Dec 2017
i want xenogears 2 not this shit.

More topics from this board

» Why?

Maurox - Jan 7, 2008

49 by tokomata »»
Dec 21, 2023 8:30 AM

» Should I watch it? I have no prior knowledge of the franchise.

Barry_Allen_14 - May 10, 2022

4 by Kunasenpai »»
May 20, 2022 7:06 PM

» Originally in Japanese or English?

Kuandohan - Sep 13, 2013

1 by RX-782 »»
Sep 23, 2013 6:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.