Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 5, 2007 12:43 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Overkill!!

Jesus, what the hell was that?! This episode was overflowing with gags, fanservice (Klaus, ew), references, hilarious conversations, parodies... I'm blown away, so crazy!

I gotta watch it again and take some screenshots... su~GOI!

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 5, 2007 12:47 PM

Apr 2007
This is probably the craziest and funniest episode so far, i couldn't stop laughing.
Jun 5, 2007 1:28 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007

by Jason

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 5, 2007 2:17 PM

Oct 2006
lol cyruz... some work you did there.. :P

cyruz said:
esus, what the hell was that?! This episode was overflowing with gags, fanservice (Klaus, ew), references, hilarious conversations, parodies... I'm blown away, so crazy!
my thoughts exactly~ lol.... did they change the director or something... that was way too crazy....rotfl. There's like tons of references to dragon ball, pokemon... and even suzumiya ("sumeshi beam!")...and Ikkitousen :o
fanservice everywhere too.... and wth was up with that demon's boobs...
"I hear brest-bouncing noises"
:P

And who was it that asked why did that game controllers apeared all over the ground on episode 8? well there's your answer :P

Jun 5, 2007 3:35 PM

Mar 2007
This ep was awesome! XD
I could typ up everything I loved, but the point is, I love it all. :P

By the way, Maria 17 yo?!? o.O LIE!!!
Though......that would explain why Hayate is trying to flirt with Maria every now and then.

eww at the Klaus service shot though. >.<

Kayrhandros said:
and wth was up with that demon's boobs...

She made me think of that cup ZZ woman from Slayers. Large boobs that just bounce on a whim....... o.O
Jun 5, 2007 4:35 PM

Jan 2007
Wow....that was.....wow. Awesome episode. As expected of the author to think of something like this. Looking for more stuff like this in the future. I think I managed to get most of the references but man were there a lot. Wow...just wow. Looking forward to the next episode.

I'll throw in one screenshot not taken yet.
Jun 5, 2007 4:55 PM

Oct 2006
I liked this episode a lot. It didn't exactly feel like a Hayate episode, but it was all good fun for an original non-manga episode.

I loved the part where they were making fun of Maria supposedly being 17. I read somewhere that a seiyu has a running joke that whenever someone asks her, her age, she replies 17. I think the seiyu of Maria, Tanaka Rie is the one who says it, but it could also be Inoue Kikuko, the one who does Belldandy. I can't really remember, but I still think it's great that they worked that joke into the episode.

Update: It's Inoue Kikuko who says it.
kioJun 15, 2007 2:09 PM
Jun 5, 2007 6:47 PM

Aug 2006
I'm not even sure how to describe this episode, but I do know that I liked it. This episode was kinda akin to filler episodes in most animes but since they went over the top with references and parodies it was very enjoyable. What I liked most was the Maria/Meer Campbell opening, which was freaking hilarious since the seiyu who plays Maria Tanaka Rie also played Meer Campbell/Lacus Clyne in Gundam Seed Destiny. Then they're just way to many references to name, my head is still spinning :P. Oh yeah, I loved all the Maria fanservice as well XD. In conclusion, directionless but nevertheless funny episode.
Jun 5, 2007 8:09 PM

Apr 2007
My god for an anime original this was probably the best episode i've seen so far. This episode was shows how a good anime original episode can be XD.

and Yuko Goto as Maou...god this episode was just too funny for words

Also the joke with Maria being only 17 i think protrayed in the anime much funnier then in the manga

The Red Truth is the only truth in the world
Jun 6, 2007 1:01 AM

Mar 2007
I can just agree to what you all have said, since it would be pretty much the same things. But it was a hilarious episode, and! There was a Rei!
Jun 6, 2007 4:12 PM

Aug 2006
Wow... I read all the comments and couldn't wait to watch...

I hated this episode... absolutely HATED it... why did everyone like it so much??!!?? Am I really that outrageous?? If I based the series just on this episode, it would get dropped!! O_o
Jun 6, 2007 4:47 PM

Jan 2007
Chelle said:

I hated this episode... absolutely HATED it... why did everyone like it so much??!!?? Am I really that outrageous?? If I based the series just on this episode, it would get dropped!! O_o

well...this episode was the type of episode where it would be enjoyable if you can get most of the references and there were a shit load. Thats how i see it anyways.
Jun 7, 2007 6:15 AM

Aug 2006
Faust721 said:
well...this episode was the type of episode where it would be enjoyable if you can get most of the references and there were a shit load. Thats how i see it anyways.

That's a possibility... both my child and I kinda had the blank looks on our faces... and there were a couple of funny moments... but for the most part... I was just dumbfounded. However, thus far, the rest of the series has been excellent, so I'll continue to watch... O_o This epi just threw me for a loop.
Jun 8, 2007 2:49 AM

May 2007
Wow. Talk about insanity XD This episode was just too hilarious.
Jul 10, 2007 12:43 PM

Feb 2007
I realize this episode aired a long time ago, but I really liked this episode =D
Feb 8, 2008 12:30 PM

Nov 2007
this episode was SO funny xD
Mar 20, 2008 8:45 AM

Sep 2007
... I know that this episode was aired soooo long ago... but still, WTH was that?!
I'm probably the only person who agrees with Chelle, cause that was sooo stupid! :O I mean... I like HnG for the fact that it is crazy, but that was just too much... Just the same - "If I based the series just on this episode, it would get dropped!! O_o"

Jun 17, 2008 3:04 PM

Jun 2008
This episode was extremely hilarious, and explained the game controllers aswell :P
Jun 19, 2008 10:26 AM

Jul 2006
Yeah, the game controllers.. I paused the scene where Hayate stepped on one and went "あ!" . The episode for me had a small Pani Poni Dash feeling to it, and I noticed something else too.

Excuse the stream quality.

Kamisama desu-nya?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 22, 2008 9:18 PM

Jan 2008
This episode was too awesome XD
Jul 9, 2008 10:08 PM
Apr 2008
This episode was so random...4/5
Please click my eggs/little dragons from Dragon Cave...XD

Thanks for clicking...:)
Aug 27, 2008 9:06 PM

Dec 2007
This episode was so random, but I loved the whole classic rpg parts.

Oct 12, 2008 12:34 AM

May 2008
Hahaha that was an amazing episode.

-Lacus clyne parody <33
-Sgt. Furuichi from xam'd lost memories? how is that possible??
-Mikuru beam!(it was something beam but i forgot)
-and more stuff!

That was one of the funniest eps i seen so far though! MARIA FANSERVICE FTW
Mar 16, 2009 9:39 PM
Jun 2007
FUCK YES!!! NAGA parody is massive WIN!
Mar 25, 2009 5:22 PM

May 2008
Faust721 said:
Chelle said:

that would make sense, I got some of the generic rpg jokes but beyond that... it was kinda wack, and I really didnt get it.
Apr 1, 2009 1:22 AM

Jul 2008
This series actually made a parody from a hentai. And the Kami's lookout was awesome.
Jun 5, 2009 2:05 AM

Jan 2009
*boing...boing*
Jun 5, 2009 10:22 AM

Sep 2008
WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT????
also Maria service shot drooooool...
Jul 12, 2009 9:25 AM

Apr 2009
random episode much?
Nov 9, 2009 1:02 PM

Apr 2009
HAHAHHA Awesome!!
Can't describe with words! XD
Jan 9, 2010 3:14 PM

Jul 2009
its been bugging me for quite a while but does ep 10 have pani poni dash reference?? with nagi being called "chibiko" and her getting suspicious looking blushes on her face and Klaus saying "it's morning" all sound way too familiar~

Apr 20, 2010 5:38 PM

May 2009
hated it, can't say I'm a big fan of the series so far, but THAT was one of the most awful random reference episode I've seen in all anime so far... Even considering Seitokai no Ichizon...-.-

Somebody said it before:
If I didn't know the series had some other satisfying qualities, based on this episode, I'd drop the whole thing right here, right now...-.-
MikeOnHighway61Apr 20, 2010 5:46 PM
Apr 25, 2010 9:34 AM

Feb 2010
crazy chick from a video game?
Jun 29, 2010 12:33 PM

Jul 2008
FlakeMusic said:
just watched this for teh first time, so random xD! and maria-san is 17 omg i thought she was 32 ... then klaus is probably like 25 or what
lol I was thinking the same! Klaus can be like 19 :O
Jul 4, 2010 5:40 AM

Mar 2008
I went like O_O
and lol @ maria being 17?! :>)

Sep 27, 2010 2:03 AM

Oct 2008
Haha, hilarious episode. :D
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Nov 11, 2010 5:03 PM
Apr 2009
Was this episode supposed to be funny?
This episode was just retarded. And just like someone said before, I don't drop this show because the previous episodes were ok.
Apr 3, 2011 1:24 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
epic dragonball lol
DesolatePsycheApr 3, 2011 1:29 PM
Jul 19, 2011 3:46 AM

May 2011
Ahhh........It was a decent episode....but I guess they HAD to down the quality and gags because I think Hayate's seiyuu was somehow missing during that week's broadcast. I'm happy that they still came up with something for the fans and didn't just drop that episode. Plus it was fun.

Maria Service *Drools*

And I'm going to Do the Impossible and See the Invisible here by POSTING THE KLAUS SERVICE
You have been warned

Oh God.
Well at least the Butler Network is getting better and better.......I think....
I like how Maria shouted NO Louder when the Klaus service came on XD

PS: OH I JUST NOTICED THE EVANGELION REFERENCE, You know the Rei that came out of the slime. Ahaha good ep

Sep 17, 2011 2:46 AM

Jun 2011
A filler episode but it not too disappointing-tima.

And Hinagiku really overkill in this one.
Dec 31, 2011 4:56 PM
Nov 2011
I'm like, uhm.... What the heck was this episode??? I'm confused.
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Aug 13, 2012 3:12 PM

May 2012
Haha just to epic and wtf so random xD Just love it!
Feb 25, 2014 11:44 PM
Mar 2013
The randomest episode of the series. Hinagiku is too OP, and I love watching the misadventures of the Student council trio.
Apr 19, 2015 11:16 AM

Aug 2013
That episode... made no sense at all... I freaking loved it :D
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Dec 16, 2015 1:10 AM

Jan 2012
Definitely one of the most random episodes of anything I've seen all year. :D And it's been a looooong year. :D Kami's Lookout/Korin Tower reference was nice, and all the gratuitous boob jiggle shots of the Demon Lord. :D All the paintings being swapped with 8 bit video game artwork was a nice touch considering the episode's subject matter. And did I see an actual photo of the head of Jimi Hendrix on a flower?...........what? :D

To get needlessly serious about a series that's clearly not meant to be taken seriously for a bit I do think that the meta stuff does tend to go a bit far at times. They know they're in a show, but they're not actors in the sense that Hayate really is Nagi's butler, and she really does like him and stuff, I think anyway. Like their situations are legit, but they know viewers are watching them play out. So, it gets kinda confusing and I can see this undermining the series in the future if it ever gets even remotely serious from a relationship standpoint. Like, why should I care when Hayate and Nagi finally get together if they're constantly being presented as actors? Of course I'm clearly not meant to be putting this much thought into this, and for all I know the manga/anime never has any such serious moments, but somehow I kinda doubt that's the case. I'm curious if the manga really is this meta throughout, but not enough to read any of it. :D

Oh, and yeah no way I'da guessed Maria was only 17, but then most characters look and act older than they are, even Nagi. :D And that random girl STILL hasn't entered the main story! :D
Jul 16, 2020 6:25 PM
Feb 2020
I've dropped series for less.

[If this episode had been aired right after episode 8 this anime would at this current time be in my dropped list.

As others have said: and looking at the episode count: over 50. There is clear and obvious potential here for stories to be told: The girl, that girl we keep seeing, the mysterious girl, she's even in the episode theme The 'fiance' the white elephant rumbling quietly in the room 'Hayate is he going to be going to school, for his own much needed education... theres a story there, The school council president is a competent character, her sister is interesting, The girl who gets lost, will the 'fiance's' hard work pay off... his conflict is interesting, there are some really interesting story lines there and this anime can do both be funny, have references and tell some stories. Because of this I'm willing to say strike 2 and give this anime a few more episodes.

Seriously, what even is this episode.
Mar 14, 2021 6:19 PM

Aug 2018
Somewhat of a boring episode, and really weird.

Dec 3, 2022 2:32 AM

Mar 2018
While I appreciate the thought, I cannot imagine I was happy with this episode back then let alone now. Too many things happening while they're not really funny.
It felt really out of place, but then again a lot of references still in it.

☆  PlayStation: KoitoTV
☆  Discord: Koito
☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
Jan 1, 2023 11:52 AM

Jul 2014
Wow, that was bad. Really, really bad.

Making constant references is not a substitute for actual comedy or creativity, yet that's more or less all this awful episode is.

And I am insane for thinking this episode's artstyle looks considerably better than any of the previous 9 episodes so far? Like, the difference was so stark I thought I'd accidentally jumped to one of the later seasons somehow.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler Episode 45 Discussion

Darkreaper70 - Feb 23, 2008

28 by MrYujufudan »»
Feb 23, 4:59 AM

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler Episode 40 Discussion

cyruz - Jan 16, 2008

40 by MrYujufudan »»
Feb 19, 7:30 PM

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler Episode 3 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Apr 16, 2007

42 by BigBoyAdvance »»
Feb 17, 2:57 AM

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler Episode 35 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Dec 20, 2007

50 by MrYujufudan »»
Jan 19, 6:04 AM

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler Episode 5 Discussion

cyruz - Apr 30, 2007

44 by TyDrian »»
May 18, 2023 12:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.