Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 5, 2008 7:57 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh, so the twins were adopted, and Johan was put into some sort of assassin training orphanage. Guess that explains things.
Also, I found it quite funny that Dieter had the same voice as Naruto, especially when he was talking about getting stronger =P
Sep 15, 2008 3:38 PM

Apr 2008
Great Episode & Tenma your a Truly great Man, Hartman go kill yourself

I didnt notice the kid had the same voice as naruto
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
Nov 16, 2008 7:32 PM

Sep 2008
the music always comes in at the right time in this series, making the scenes even more intense. i like it!
Nov 29, 2008 11:11 PM

Nov 2008
Physically and mentally abusing orphans as a social experiment? What can possibly go wrong!
Dec 21, 2008 8:05 PM

Jun 2008
not as an assassin more like other kinds of testings...at least back story is more clear. i like it.
Feb 4, 2009 11:38 PM

Jul 2008
msw said:
not as an assassin more like other kinds of testings...at least back story is more clear. i like it.
Yes I feel like the kids were horribly abused at the orpahage, that explains some of the mindset.
Feb 13, 2009 6:19 AM

Oct 2008
Vendetta!!! said Johan :P
Apr 4, 2009 10:22 PM

Nov 2008
Definitely wasn't assassin training per se. Based on the behavior of people surrounding Johann, I'm pretty sure mind-control mechanisms were the main project, both on their subjects and making their subjects devices capable of similar control. This is getting really sinister, and very interesting.
Aug 8, 2009 3:44 PM

Jul 2009
Damn that old guy was creepy as hell. So the story with Johan and Anna goes deeper and deeper...it's getting more interesting with each episode
Jan 19, 2010 11:45 AM

Sep 2009
Very good ep imo. Gives us back story about Johan and Anna. Although I am a bit confused. It was mentioned before that Anna and Johan were taken care of by many families, and that all of the were dead in the end. Last one being Lieberts. However, in this ep I could understand that Johan was made into a psychopath and a killer here. The only explanation that is viable for both stories is that Johan was a psychopath before he got into 511 Kinderheim. This would explain why they actually took Johan, and why were twins separated. Germans probably saw the talent in Johan and kept him while transferring Anna to an ordinary orphanage. Then another question is mooted for me. Why did Lieberts looked for a child for adoption in such a place like 511 orphanage. They should have known about the things going on there or at least seen after entering it, and chosen the other orphanage which isn't far. This leads us to a verdict Lieberts might have wanted to have such a child and even encouraged Johans way of thinking and psychopathy.
No sig :(
Feb 5, 2010 8:06 PM

Jan 2010
When the guy paused outside the door, I was like "Oh fuck, don't tell me he beats the kid. D:"

And the story with Johan and Anna thickens...

unclesnapple said:
Physically and mentally abusing orphans as a social experiment? What can possibly go wrong!

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/It_was_a_social_experiment
\
Oct 4, 2010 4:56 AM

May 2009
at last something move.
Nov 6, 2010 8:41 PM

Mar 2010
Tenma Needs A alias and be used to using it otherwise everyone will find out who he is

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jan 3, 2011 5:55 AM
Jun 2010
i actually love this anime, its absolutely amazing!
May 13, 2011 8:43 PM

Oct 2008
Knew straightaway that Hartman was the abuser.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Feb 12, 2012 9:22 PM

Mar 2009
Dieter was rescued.
Jul 7, 2012 4:59 PM
May 2012
Overall unimpressed with this episode. The whole abuse subplot seemed pretty trite, and was entirely predictable.
Sep 17, 2012 10:27 AM

Nov 2009
0.o yeah the whole part about the siblings actually being split up in different orphanages and Johann's being an experimentation lab was predictable as shit right? I mean I totally saw that coming, it was so obvious... don't say shit is predictable AFTER you see it you derp, I'll bet you only think its predictable after you have seen it, well bravo I can predict the past too, does that make me a genius? I feel like people should come and pay me to get predictions of the past because I'm so pro I can predict it, and apparently that isn't easy to do.
Dec 16, 2012 10:23 PM

Feb 2012
A lot of info for this one. Nice to hear Junko's voice in this one haha. I will become stronger direct reference to Naruto.

About Episode:

So Tenma were looking again some info regarding Lieberch family and he founded that orphanage called 511 Kindlehaim. I have to say that those symbols that were in the that place walls. I wonder do they have some secret in them.

Also when Tenma found Dietus and aid him. I found it strange that he even doesn't said Thank You or i mean maybe he was scary for Tenma.

And after Tenma had been told about Hartmann he definitely would go meet him to get more info regarding Johan and Anna.

Of course that old man told some stuff that Johan made Revolution in that place and was very scary to talk about those things.

Still I didn't saw it coming he was bad guy too. Poor Dieter hope that hospital will help him and aid his wounds.

But Tenma sure dioes have money when he is all the time buying gifts for his patients haha.

But seriously that orphanage was scary as hell and yeah I did think human experiments were done in there.

When that man told about those strict rules. But didn't know there was also another orphanage better place known as Orpahanage 47. And thiis was much better place than 511 Kindlehaim.

So my guess is that they did something bad to Johan and made his mind like psycho. That's why his like that. Because like that woman told they were together always until they had to leave everything behind after going those orphanages.

Cool Episode

5/5
Jan 27, 2013 10:55 AM

Jan 2012
Tenma should have shot that children beating bastard. Anyway, the story is unfolding nicely.

Apr 27, 2013 3:28 PM

Oct 2012
Experiment.. seems like they were using similiar techniques and share same ideas as Nazi during WWII with their Hitler Jugend (indoctrinating them). Things would get pretty intense soon I guess.
Apr 29, 2013 1:27 AM

Jan 2013
A slower episode, but still good.
Jul 3, 2013 4:23 PM

Jan 2013
This episode brings up the point that we’ve heard far too often but is still important – Should a person’s prior treatment/abuse/circumstances be called into play when dealing with their own crimes. I think hardly anyone would say that such experiences would not affect the person. We also find here that Johan was very attached to his sister and wanted her to be with him at all times. He does want her to live on.

One thing that’s a little unrealistic is how Tenma hasn’t had any trouble moving around. I mean everyone he’s met has been able to recognize him from the wanted pictures but I guess we’re supposed to overlook that.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Aug 17, 2013 4:25 AM
May 2012
Oh boy I'm right again at them being an orphan and That kinderheim 511 is performing experiments the moment that motherfucker Hartman beat that poor kid. Tenma is really kind he buys the soccer ball for the kid. This is getting really good Tenma you're the man.
Sep 15, 2013 9:58 PM

Jul 2009
another amazing episode!!

wow Tenma is slowly becoming a detective now XD

also no more Huckel?

fuck that Hartmann guy, it's obvious he took part with the Kinderheim 511 orphanage

poor Dieter :(

really appreciate the lady running the orphanage without influence by the government.

definitely need more people like her in real life!

so it is a experiment orphanage after all.

could Yohan be the ultimate killer?

and wow does that mean Yohan and Nina's biological parent's are spies?

do wonder how Nina was put in a much safer orphanage.

next episode is gonna be ace as always!!

i hope hartmann get's killed, for a name like hartmann, he surely doesn't have a heart at all.
Nov 1, 2013 4:02 PM
Nov 2013
PrinceHeir said:

i hope hartmann get's killed, for a name like hartmann, he surely doesn't have a heart at all.

That's becase Hartmann would be translated to "hard"man.
heart is translated to Herz
Feb 12, 2014 3:52 PM
Aug 2013
Einstürzende Neubauten logo spotted. Pretty nice easter egg.
May 16, 2014 1:44 PM

Apr 2012
Interesting revelation about the orphanage. Another great episode

Jun 9, 2014 10:35 AM

Apr 2014
Huge revelations at the end.

Love seeing Tenma's change of personality.
cairobabyJun 9, 2014 10:41 AM
Jun 9, 2014 10:38 AM

Apr 2014
Kayro said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh, so the twins were adopted, and Johan was put into some sort of assassin training orphanage. Guess that explains things.
Also, I found it quite funny that Dieter had the same voice as Naruto, especially when he was talking about getting stronger =P

Really? I thought it was Luffy!!! I'm pretty sure it's Luffy actually...

*Went back to listen to it, you are RIGHT lol Sorry because they sound kinda similar :P*
Jun 21, 2014 12:47 AM
Mar 2014
great episode hartman is a heartless man was not expecting him to do that at all, just goes to show how well psychopaths hide their true intentions. good from tenma coming back when he did. this show is disturbing, and the music in it is amazing
Sep 17, 2014 8:37 PM

Nov 2011
phantom19 said:
This episode brings up the point that we’ve heard far too often but is still important – Should a person’s prior treatment/abuse/circumstances be called into play when dealing with their own crimes. I think hardly anyone would say that such experiences would not affect the person. We also find here that Johan was very attached to his sister and wanted her to be with him at all times. He does want her to live on.

Going under the assumption that Johan truly doesn't know what he's doing is wrong... It's hard to swallow considering all of the murders he's committed, but I do think he could be redeemed in such a case, especially if given an abusive background. If he is unwilling to change, though, justice should take over where mercy isn't heeded. I think the families of those who were killed should have a say in the matter.

Regarding this specific episode: It wasn't too surprising to see an episode dealing with abuse, but it was handled well. The orphanage guy is a hypocrite for criticizing the previous orphanage when he's still abusing children himself. It's grievous how many children are abused physically and/or psychologically these days.

It looks like we'll get some background on Johan soon. It probably won't be covered yet, but I wonder what he and Anna were doing back in Czechoslovakia.
Dec 16, 2014 4:05 PM

Aug 2014
Cool episode. Nice to see more of Johan's backstory.
Jan 26, 2015 11:29 PM

Nov 2013
Boy there was a lot of talking and investigating this episode. Hope something happens because these past few episodes have been pretty uneventful.

Hartmann is now in a tie with Eva for my most hated character in this anime. Seriously I wish Tenma would have shot that bastard. The way Hartmann was able to look relatively nice and inviting just made him even more evil.

That daycare that Tenma visited makes me kinda suspicious. Are they really caring for the children and not treating them like prisioners like at 511 Kinderheim? I'm not so sure.

Decent episode.

7/10

Feb 10, 2015 6:28 PM

Mar 2013
What a tragedy! An orphanage for children experiments. im sure that this kind of things are exist in real world and i don't like thing about it. That bastards must be punished most severely!
Feb 12, 2015 6:28 AM

Nov 2014
As I remember, Anna said that her brother was killing every one nice they met in their way while walking, doesn't that mean he was screwed up mentally even before the orphanage?
Tenma needs a friend, like one reliable friend. Man he is alone in this world. Also, he should start using another name, what kind of a suspect doesn't hide his identity!
Mar 28, 2015 5:19 AM
Nov 2014
No wonder Johan is sick, he was placed into that special orphanage.

Hartmann is an ass.
Jun 28, 2015 9:51 AM

Jul 2014
5/5
Jul 9, 2015 1:03 AM

Nov 2008
Hakaya said:
As I remember, Anna said that her brother was killing every one nice they met in their way while walking, doesn't that mean he was screwed up mentally even before the orphanage?
Tenma needs a friend, like one reliable friend. Man he is alone in this world. Also, he should start using another name, what kind of a suspect doesn't hide his identity!

Makes sense, why doesn't Tenma go with another name?
Aug 11, 2015 6:03 PM

Dec 2013
Cool to see more background info on the twins
Sep 22, 2015 3:38 PM
Sep 2015
Damn, this is messed up.
Oct 6, 2015 9:24 AM
Feb 2015
Experimentation on the children!?
Is that why Johan became a monster?
Oct 27, 2015 4:30 PM

May 2015
Tenma's presents aren't very lucky lol.. (remember the guy with the clock). I hope Dieter won't have the same fate. Finally some explanation about Johan, i'm really curious what will happen in 74 episodes!
p.s. i'm loving the opening theme, i never skip it because it puts me in the mood.
Nov 28, 2015 3:54 AM
Nov 2015
It was a great episode, but I just didn't understand one thing.
Hartmann says that Johan said that he just put an oil soaked rag in the bonfire. But what is that metaphor used for? What did he actually do to lead all the orphans and the instructors kill each other?
In case I missed it, has it already been revealed in this episode?
Or have the details been disclosed in the following episodes?
Nov 30, 2015 4:08 PM

Aug 2015
Nice to see more information about Johan and his sister.
Jan 7, 2016 4:34 PM
Dec 2015
It was nice to see the Einstürzende Neubauten symbol in the orphanage. The story unfolds in Germany, so details like this are very nice.
Mar 8, 2016 1:32 AM

Dec 2015
Johan killing every family that had taken care of the twins just because Kinderheim made him a cold person seems strange to me.
If Kinderheim was training these children to be heartless assassins, they wouldn't certainly wouldn't be the kind of people to kill with zero motivation. And I stress on the 'zero', killing unrelated spectators on a mission for damage control would be a likely course of action for such people, but killing with zero seeming motivation must require complex emotions and ideologies, which, if Kinderheim had been successful at creating the perfect soldier, they should have been incapable of.
May 25, 2016 3:04 PM

Feb 2013
I wonder if Johan wasn't evil from the start.
That bastard was abusing Dieter, and he was talking about Kinderheim like he was some sort of a saint.
May 26, 2016 3:41 AM
May 2016
It's amazing how fast you can go from loving a character to hating him!!! I really thought Hartman was a great man ,having helped so many kids and then boom go kill yourself you asshole!!! Ps:sorry for my english
Jul 31, 2016 8:45 AM

Jan 2016
the slow pace is killing me. Everything was moving fast in the first 8 episodes, and now the plot is barely moving.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

114 by egeD19 »»
Apr 17, 10:03 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

623 by Animequeen_xx »»
Apr 13, 5:54 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 11, 2008

134 by Ajanokoyna »»
Apr 13, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 55 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 15, 2008

70 by Dekuforce5 »»
Apr 13, 3:15 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 4, 2008

106 by wallus81 »»
Apr 8, 10:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.