Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 4, 2008 3:47 PM
Nov 2007
First episode was totally unexpected. Quite funny :)
Apr 4, 2008 3:50 PM

Dec 2007
...well, the subs were quality, at least as much as most fansub groups. There was really nothing to complain about, as far as I could tell with my 4th-5th grade level Japanese skills (naturally, I may have missed something). I now am certain that this method has the potential be used as a practical solution.

The show itself, however, was mediocre at best. It was actually better that it was a comedy, being serious never seems to work for video game based anime (visual novels aside), but besides a few cheap laughs, it really just wasn't very good. I'll keep with it for the next couple episodes just to see if it becomes decent, but I'm doubtful at this point.
世界は美しくなんかない。 そしてそれ故に、美しい
Apr 4, 2008 3:51 PM
Jun 2007
I didn't like the humor of this episode (or maybe because I watch too much ZSZS that I don't appreciate this type of humor anymore?). but like some people before said, the tentacle scene was rather amusing.

Apr 4, 2008 3:58 PM

Nov 2007
I thought it was kind of boring... :/ I don't really like most comedy series...

but lol @ the tentacle scene.
Apr 4, 2008 4:34 PM

Dec 2007
I won't be continuing this series.
Apr 4, 2008 4:39 PM

Apr 2007
I thought it was pretty funny as well, and not at all what I was expecting. I won't watch it as it comes out, but I was curious of the quality of the video and subs. I watched it on BOST and it was better quality than I was expecting. I only saw shots of the youtube and crunchy ones, so here are some BOST screen shots. These are taken at a 1600x1050 resolution. First one is regular viewing, second is full screen.

Apr 4, 2008 4:41 PM

Jul 2007
Not a bad first episode, but it felt much more like a generic series trying to be a parody than an actual, competent parody. I'll be sticking with this for now, but I don't have very high hopes. I wonder if the rest will also be comedic?

And I think the tentacle scene was one of my least favorite parts. :/

oh, these little earthquakes
Apr 4, 2008 4:44 PM

Jun 2007
HAHA! Here I was expecting so generic shit and what do they give me? Epic pun of generic shit! I loved it.
Apr 4, 2008 4:48 PM
Nov 2007
So, Reverse should probably be split off to its own series, shouldn't it?
Apr 4, 2008 5:00 PM

May 2007
Haha, I couldn't stop laughing at how hilarious it was and how it was such an amazing parody/pun on the generic type of storyline. I thought it was pretty much an RPG game from the perspective and at the end, we'd be back in the real world or something.

Anyway, interesting way to start things off. I'm curious to see how the show continues further down the road.
Apr 4, 2008 5:51 PM

Dec 2007
funny xDD
Apr 4, 2008 5:57 PM

Aug 2007
I thought it was just ok, i was glad at how it ended since i didn't find it to be that funny. Anyone saying that they're going to drop the series after the first episode must be either very ignorant, very pessimistic, or very stupid. The second episode will likely almost seem like a completely different anime.
Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM

Jan 2008
Nothing of what I expected at all! but I still enjoyed it. I did laugh every now and then.
Apr 4, 2008 6:23 PM

Oct 2007
I found the episode not bad. Quite amusing in a way, especially when I was expecting something far worse than this.

What really did interest was the reverse episode. It is probably a good indicator on what the series is actually like, while the episode shown with subs is something like a joke.

The other main characters were shown briefly too. Screencaps taken from niconico, in spoilers:

Oh, and sleep-talking/moving Jiru was fun to watch~
Apr 4, 2008 6:28 PM

Apr 2007
I laughed my ass off personally. This is the funniest anime I've seen in a while and I'm definitely gonna finish it.
Apr 4, 2008 6:38 PM

Oct 2007
Meh I guess I'll try it for one more episode.

Apr 4, 2008 6:42 PM

Jul 2007
Some parts I laughed pretty hard at, others I didn't laugh at all.

I'll give it a 7/10. I'm glad the whole series won't be like that, but, I guess I'll have to wait and see the next episode before I make a decision on the story.
Apr 4, 2008 7:35 PM
May 2007
Great episode, can't wait to drop it! A Ragnarok story with the stupidity of TTGL's stupidity.

3/10

That is unless of course the second and third episodes are completely different.
Apr 4, 2008 8:32 PM

Feb 2008
yeah agree that the quality in crunchyroll was horrible. rewatched it in youtube and it was so much better....so happy that it is also streamed in youtube hahaa. personally, i thought it was not a bad start for an initial episode but towards the end, i was glad that all the slapstick comedy was a dream. actually, i prefer the anime to go into a more serious direction with some humour now and then. well, looking forward to a better next episode.

Apr 4, 2008 8:44 PM

Oct 2007
Well I just watched it, and it really was not one bit of what I was expecting. However, I think that was just this first episode, and now it's gonna take a path of more what we all were probably expecting.

It was pretty funny, but not to the point that it was hilarious. Just enjoyable humor I guess for a couple giggles and chuckles. I'm not gonna drop it, but I would like to see it improve, definitely.

Apr 4, 2008 8:48 PM

Jun 2007
Druaga's first episode was definitely the unexpected jewel for me. Add to this that this is one of the first attempts at simultaenous streamig with subtitles for a series, and I'll definitely be keeping up with it.

Personally, I hope the series maintains the comedy. I don't get why anyone would want it to become another generic video game tie-in anime. There are plenty of those mediocre offerings out there enough as it is. So, I say nay to the super serious stuff and give me cracktastic cheese! :D

This isn't to say I would be against any drama, but keep the lulz, please.
fool_on_the_hillApr 4, 2008 8:52 PM
Apr 4, 2008 8:50 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Well, I wasn't thrilled with the anime itself - it's not the genre I usually prefer.

But I have to applaud Gonzo. The subs were better than I've seen some fansubbers, the quality also decent (for being free straight from the company itself!) aside from crunchyroll. (Thanks WestExit, if I didn't see your post, I would have watched it at CR).

I looked at the "donations" on CR and some guy donated $50, other people $20 and $10. There are people who support the idea (whether it's the anime or not) and are trying to give Gonzo good feedback. Imagine how the industry could go...

I hope no fansub group picks this up, though. That'd just defeat the whole purpose >:| .... anyway, my two cents ^^
Apr 4, 2008 8:52 PM

Nov 2007
Crunchyroll's quality was intolerable. *-*

Anyway, about the actual anime. Wow, I was impressed. lol'd so much at the tentacle scene and the gurren lagann reference. Definitely the type of first episode that makes me want to watch more.
Apr 4, 2008 9:11 PM

Feb 2007
Thought it was pretty funny....

watched it on youtube.. first ep of anime ever watched on youtube. sucked a lot.
Apr 4, 2008 9:35 PM

Oct 2007
Wow...that was unexpected.

I really didn't have high expectations in the first place, and I ended up laughing quite a few times. It certainly did make me want to at least watch the next episode or two...just to see where it all goes.
Apr 4, 2008 9:40 PM

Jul 2007
fool_on_the_hill said:
Druaga's first episode was definitely the unexpected jewel for me. Add to this that this is one of the first attempts at simultaenous streamig with subtitles for a series, and I'll definitely be keeping up with it.

Personally, I hope the series maintains the comedy. I don't get why anyone would want it to become another generic video game tie-in anime. There are plenty of those mediocre offerings out there enough as it is. So, I say nay to the super serious stuff and give me cracktastic cheese! :D

This isn't to say I would be against any drama, but keep the lulz, please.

I agree with this post.

Apr 4, 2008 9:43 PM

Jun 2007
Definitely a surprise hit here.

I really want to see subs of the Ura version of the episode, though. I just got finished with the Japanese raw, but there were definitely some jokes (including one scene with Utu telling a story) that I couldn't completely decipher.

Don't sub only one version of the show when there are two episodes, Gonzo!

Also, I have no idea how to count this Ura episode on here...
MetatronMApr 4, 2008 10:04 PM
Apr 4, 2008 10:36 PM
Jun 2007
Funny thing about this episode is that they made fun of clicheness in the fantasy/hero kind of shows and stories. It just made me laugh so hard. Overall, this episode was pretty good. I look forward seeing the rest.
Apr 4, 2008 11:03 PM

Sep 2007
Woah, definitely glad I decided to watch. The force is strong with this one, so to speak.

ROFL'd hard, several times. Roper, marriage, leaving Neeba behind... hope the quality of this series remains high.
Apr 4, 2008 11:19 PM

Apr 2007
Wasn't really expecting what I got out of this anime, but I still really enjoyed it. Some of the comedy got a little too played out towards the end but I still really liked it, here's hoping some of the comedy stays for the series :)
Apr 5, 2008 1:11 AM

Jun 2007
Meh. Even though I laughed a couple of times, especially during the tentacle scene, this isn't really my kind of anime... this kind of humour doesn't fit with this kind of series imo.

*drops it*
Apr 5, 2008 2:24 AM

Dec 2007
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THAT WAS AWESOME!! hahahahahahaha
the gurren lagan bit was crazy! :D
Apr 5, 2008 2:37 AM

Jan 2008
Mixed feelings but I'll watch few more eps before I decide whether to watch the whole series or rop it. References to other works were nice (tentacle scene ftw) but overall nothing impressive so far.

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Apr 5, 2008 2:38 AM

Jul 2007
I don't think the actual show will go over the top comedy like it did with this first ep, but I do hope they keep it up to an above average level while still tying in the whole shounen throw to it. Sort of like how Reborn does; just the perfect balance of humor and action.
きみ は だれ だい?
ぼく は ラムボ!
ぼく は だれ だい?
きみ は ラムボ!
ラムボ なんでし!
Apr 5, 2008 4:02 AM

Jun 2007
Zarin said:
Great episode, can't wait to drop it! A Ragnarok story with the stupidity of TTGL's stupidity.

Well I laughed at some points but nothing more.
Apr 5, 2008 5:19 AM

Feb 2008
Suprisingly funny! ^^

I think we can not assume to know anything about the actual story after this very entertaining, but not meaningful first episode.

Nevertheless, I like self-deprecating storylines which have a heart to even make fun of the "usual" anime scripts most fantasy-shows use.

Definitely worth to watch a little longer, from my point of view!

......did I mention that Im addicted to Girls with cat-ears? *grin*
Apr 5, 2008 5:55 AM
Jan 2008
well it looks crap in a way but feels good in another (maybe it's because of the song) anyways, watching it over crunchyroll WITH LARGE SCREEN is definitely a NONO. you'll only stress yourself with dissatisfaction ~_~
Apr 5, 2008 9:09 AM

Aug 2007
The subs were okay, and I got a few laughs out of it so I think I will watch the rest =)
Love Psychological? Join
Pyschological Love =D

Apr 5, 2008 9:39 AM

Apr 2007
... What did I just watch? Really? I was expecting a big, awesome fantasy series, and I meet a comedy (that made me laugh pretty hard) but... My expectations? What do I do with them?

I don't even know if they're really playing an online game or not. Just...

What the hell was that?

Maybe I should treat this as I treat Kyou Kara Maou- yay for RPG-like action, but hooray for the lulz!

Will watch a couple more episodes before deciding what I'll do about it.
MaxwellLilyApr 5, 2008 9:45 AM
Apr 5, 2008 9:45 AM

Sep 2007
Is the "reverse episode" the true first episode?
Apr 5, 2008 12:33 PM
Jul 2007
Welp. I bet this series is where most of the budget went since Kurogane no Linebarrels also to be by Gonzo will have shitty CGI mech.
Apr 5, 2008 2:44 PM

Sep 2007
Serg said:
Welp. I bet this series is where most of the budget went since Kurogane no Linebarrels also to be by Gonzo will have shitty CGI mech.

Blassreiter has some pretty crappy CGI too.
Apr 5, 2008 3:54 PM

Aug 2007
I don't know how you guys can still watch anime on youtube. Veoh is the place to watch. Anyway, first episode made it feel A LOT like Gainex's handywork.
I was at AX....were you?

Apr 5, 2008 4:19 PM

Apr 2007
Zarin said:

lolwut
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 5, 2008 4:59 PM

Dec 2007
Definitely not what I expected lol.... had a few laughs at it though.
Hopefully it will get more serious from here on...
Apr 5, 2008 7:08 PM

Jul 2007
it was pretty hilarious. especially the tentacle scene.
Apr 5, 2008 7:22 PM

Feb 2007
asandari said:
In the end, this episode got a few chuckles out of me. (About as many as the first episode of haruhi, mind you, which I do not regard as a very good comedy) I guess we'll see where it goes from here...
I didn't mind the
myself, though :p

It's legal, and I don't really mind the quality on the youtube release. (Crunchyroll just failed, though). I didn't notice any problems with the subs, not that I usually pay much attention to them.

Very glad that this seems to be working out, a good go for a trial run of sorts.

All I have to say:
Good Job.

I pretty much agree with everything Asandari said. Let's hope GONZO don't screw this one up.
Apr 5, 2008 7:24 PM
Jul 2018
I didn't find it all that funny, actually. & not all that entertaining either. I think I'm actually slightly more interested in Blassreiter.

The ED sequence seems to suggest an entirely different cast of characters aside from Jil. Huh.
Apr 5, 2008 7:29 PM

Jul 2007
lolwut?!

"And then 10 years passed...."

Haha anyways I don't know what to make of this series yet, it was quite an overload of action anime clichés but some parts were kind of funny, well I hope episode two is better^^
Apr 5, 2008 7:38 PM

Dec 2007
I thought it was a pretty good first episode, but I don't really see how they can keep that up for 5 episodes let alone however long this series is supposed to be. It did enough to for me to watch the 2nd episode.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tower of Druaga - the Aegis of Uruk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Windspirit - Jun 20, 2008

118 by StateofOhayo »»
Oct 31, 2023 5:34 AM

Poll: » Tower of Druaga - the Aegis of Uruk Episode 9 Discussion

RAVENKam - May 30, 2008

35 by StateofOhayo »»
Oct 31, 2023 3:58 AM

Poll: » Tower of Druaga - the Aegis of Uruk Episode 11 Discussion

Bunji - Jun 13, 2008

39 by FireRifle64 »»
Dec 13, 2022 2:20 AM

» I Just want to know about something the happened at the anime.

AyanDrako - Oct 4, 2020

1 by mottowers »»
Jan 18, 2021 5:40 PM

Poll: » Tower of Druaga - the Aegis of Uruk Episode 7 Discussion

Queen - May 16, 2008

28 by KR_P »»
May 8, 2020 12:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.