Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 2, 2008 1:33 AM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Apparently I don't watch enough shoujo. So after a lot of prodding from a friend I've finally decided to check this show out. Turns out this episode was actually quite enjoyable so I'll stick around to see what's to come.

One thing I have to note, I love this show's OP song. It's just so very calming to listen to. It was immediately familiar to me so when I checked I wasn't surprised to learn it was made by the same person who did the Fruits Basket OP. That one is also another mellow OP that I love.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Apr 2, 2008 1:45 AM
Nov 2007
the OP is definitely <3
also the animation is quite nice, for me.
Apr 2, 2008 1:46 AM

Jul 2007
heh, I'm also watching this show at the moment.. the mix of classic/ballet, mahou shoujo and fairy tale is really unique. I'm not sure if I like it yet, but.. I guess it really is relaxing at times, since, uhm, most of the time I find myself rewinding scenes because I want to re-listen to the classical music parts.

Oh and the duck is so adorable! :P

Edit: (duck pics)

AwesmoeApr 2, 2008 1:56 AM
Aug 13, 2008 6:46 AM

May 2008
Gosh this show is just adorable.
I didn't expect to be enjoying a show revolving around the theme of ballet so much.
I can tell this is a quality show I'm going to keep watching and have fond memories of when I'm finished.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
May 10, 2009 8:57 AM

Jan 2008
What a ridiculous wonderfull anime. Looks like I'm hooked.
May 10, 2009 6:04 PM

Jun 2008
^ Yeah, it is kind of ridiculous at first but it will get REALLY good later on. the first 7 episodes are kind of meh though
Sep 2, 2009 9:54 PM

Jul 2008
Mire said:
I find myself rewinding scenes because I want to re-listen to the classical music parts.
I have to resist doing this myself. xD

BEGINNER
Oct 25, 2009 9:34 PM

Dec 2006
I just watched the first ep. Ahiru's kind of grating on my mind... x_X

And not in a good way.

Everything else is superb, though. She spaces out too much and overreacts a lot to the point where I just roll my eyes and sigh. I found myself fast forwarding through her dialogue in the later half of the episode.
Jan 22, 2010 7:06 PM

Oct 2009
It's so...wonderful. Hard to describe, but there's jut something about Princess Tutu that is so uplifting and enjoyable to watch.
May 13, 2011 5:36 PM

Jul 2008
The music...*gushes*
May 19, 2011 1:44 AM

Feb 2011
And princess chu chu saved the prince *bow*
Jun 25, 2011 2:51 PM

Sep 2009
Mytho is trying to turn me gay...and it's working.
Dec 11, 2011 9:17 AM

Nov 2008
It's nice to see so many viewers from 2011, old animes are there to be discovered and enjoyed.
Mar 5, 2012 4:36 PM

Jun 2009
QueenHarlette said:

Everything else is superb, though. She spaces out too much and overreacts a lot to the point where I just roll my eyes and sigh. I found myself fast forwarding through her dialogue in the later half of the episode.

Alright, skipping dialogue or anything is a bad thing from my pov. But, to skip the main protagonist's dialogue is just ludicrous. You may as well have dropped the anime then.

Anyway, I liked this. It was a pretty interesting first episode and, even though people generally seem to say that this series has a weak start I was fairly impressed. God, the use of classical music was excellent.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 9, 2012 6:16 PM

Oct 2010
I remember that I liked this episode at the time, and quite a lot. Mainly because of Ahiru's hilarious manierisms ("Mytho-sempai! Mytho-sempai! Mymymymyyyytho-sempai!!!") and some growing interest in the way the story was treated. But in my opinion, and as said in its thread, the real substance of the show and what made me a fan, definitely, started in the 3rd.

Need to rewatch it to make a proper review. I think I will like it even more in retrospect.
Mar 22, 2012 12:31 AM

Aug 2010
Haha this episode was fabulous

I can see myself liking this show
Apr 21, 2012 12:00 AM

Feb 2010
Lol that cat teacher. wtF
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 27, 2012 12:08 PM

Jan 2009
KenShiRo-Sama said:
It's nice to see so many viewers from 2011, old animes are there to be discovered and enjoyed.

Knowing that Kenshiro can watch a show about ballet makes me feel like a real man watching it as well.
Dec 7, 2012 7:14 PM

Jun 2011
^_^ I'm actually a fan of classical music, ballet, and dark atmospheres in anime and I had been hearing a lot of good things, so I decided to check it out.

Perks:
-The opening and ending are done by Ritsuko Okazaki.
-Ahiru seems cute to me.
-The dark atmosphere, of course. The art is pretty well done.
-Loved being able to hear The Nutcracker, classical music definitely gonna hook me if nothing else does, like in La Corda d'Oro.
-Weirdly, I like Ahiru's voice a lot, it's all raspy and cute, and she sounds like she's 13 without being super high pitched.
-THE TEACHER... IS A CAT!

Downsides:
-...Dresylmeyer... looks and completely sounds like a fricking pedophile.
-How Mute seems to be Fakir's slave rather than a prince, and never seems to say more than five words at a time. I just hope he isn't the prince type I grow to hate (Like Tadase and Yuki Sohma *Not counting manga*).

In between:
-Fakir. He's pretty hot, he's voiced by Takahiro Sakurai... but he is an absolute JERK towards Mute. Maybe he'll grow out of that in time, and I get the feeling that he's the raven from the beginning of that story.

^_^ Overall, I'm gonna definitely keep watching this show when I have more free time, and I give the show an 8 for the time being.
"Aiming for the mark takes precision, balance, and patience."

....Screw that, let's shoot the damn thing!
Jan 1, 2013 1:22 PM

Jul 2012
VickyHarlot said:

And not in a good way.

Ahiru got on my nerves quite a lot in this ep as well; clumsy and ovrrreactes a lot, her voice doesnt help much either IMO. >.< But since the ep did end quite interesting, I'll stick to this series~
Jan 2, 2013 2:39 PM
Sep 2011
I thought her voice was pretty annoying too at first, but by the end of the series I grew to love it, to the point that I was disappointed that Miki from Shugo Chara didn't get very many lines, since they have the exact same voice.
Jun 10, 2013 4:02 PM

Aug 2012
It looked like mytho didn't have any pants on when he fell down from that window.

I love ahiru's voice. It's not like any other voice I've heard in anime before.
She really does sound like a duck, and it's adorable.

Loving the Tchaikovski music so far too.

The cat teacher was hilarious. But I hope that joke won't be overused.
Jun 10, 2013 4:03 PM

Jun 2010
RLinksoul said:
I thought her voice was pretty annoying too at first, but by the end of the series I grew to love it, to the point that I was disappointed that Miki from Shugo Chara didn't get very many lines, since they have the exact same voice.

It is one of those voices you grow to love! I would have to agree with you on that
Jul 27, 2013 1:08 PM

Apr 2013
insan3soldiern said:
I liked this. It was a pretty interesting first episode and even though people generally seem to say that this series has a weak start I was fairly impressed. God, the use of classical music was excellent.
My thoughts exactly, to think the second half is the strongest gets me excited.

elegantgeisha said:
Loving the Tchaikovski music so far too.
Ftw!
Jul 28, 2013 1:35 PM

Nov 2011
Dat OP song. Well, that's pretty decent. Rue is beautiful as well and I think she might be a star of this show.

As regarding the premise, I think this might be the first ever ballet theme show I've watched. The music works pretty well too imo. Great start so far.

"I was just a duck".
Aug 22, 2013 5:09 PM

Aug 2011
crowslayer91 said:
the OP is definitely <3
also the animation is quite nice, for me.

I think that for an anime made what? 10 years ago now? It has VERY good animation and art IMO
Jan 8, 2014 7:31 PM

Dec 2012
Fascinating start, it's amusing and cute. The Neko-sensei was hilariously strange. "I'll have you marry me!" I really have no idea what to expect from this, gotta keep an open mind, wait and see.
Feb 4, 2014 3:09 AM

Sep 2013
Interesting. I'm really glad there's so much classical music in this series :D

There's just one thing that bothers me:

How do Ahiru and Mitsuba (from Seitokai Yakuindomo) not have the same seiyuu? I thought they were the same person but apparently no...
Mar 23, 2014 7:19 PM

Apr 2012
I really like how this anime is directed. It's dreamy, eerie, and mysterious. The animation is quite good for such a dated anime.

Jul 14, 2014 12:05 AM

Aug 2013
"If you don't keep quiet, I'm going to have you marry me!" XD! That's the first time I've ever heard such a threat from a teacher. A cat teacher no less.

Fakir? Appropriate name. I thought "who does this *cough* fakir *cough* think he is lording over Mytho (which sounded like Mewtwo) like that?" And then I told myself "no pun intended" and was mildly amused.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Aug 8, 2014 1:31 PM

Dec 2007
Dat Neko-sensei tho...
Dec 12, 2014 4:23 PM

Feb 2014
Okay start. Princess Tutu basically is made of jelly. That cat teacher is a weird as well. Fakir is mysterious, and that Drosselmayer guy is soooo creepy
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 24, 2015 6:31 PM

Jun 2013
This is interesting. I have so many questions already!
Apr 17, 2015 10:12 PM

Apr 2014
neko sensei is my ultimate favorite
Jun 29, 2015 3:02 PM

May 2012
huh a shoujo that isnt shite, im curious
Jun 29, 2015 5:40 PM

Oct 2012
I don't know what to think. On one hand the story seems interesting. On the other hand the moe annoys me already.

Nov 24, 2015 7:50 AM

Nov 2013
The visuals are really good and go well along with the classical music. The opening is soothing.

Ahiru is so cute!!

I've been searching a series like this for a long time I'm glad I picked this up.
Feb 4, 2016 2:07 PM

Nov 2012
Candy said:
insan3soldiern said:
I liked this. It was a pretty interesting first episode and even though people generally seem to say that this series has a weak start I was fairly impressed. God, the use of classical music was excellent.
My thoughts exactly, to think the second half is the strongest gets me excited.
Basically this.

Also absolutely love the directing in this.
Apr 12, 2016 6:05 AM

Jan 2013
Definitely one of the more intriguing episodes I've seen in anime. First things first, the use of classical music is praiseworthy. The OP/ED are as soothing as anything I've heard in anime as well.
Ahiru/Duck is adorable. So is Mytho, though alarmingly hollow. Like there's something missing in him. Fakir is borderline bossy at times, but genuinely cares about Mytho. I also found his protective behaviour to be a bit too much at times, as if he's afraid of leaving Mytho out of his sight. Very strange indeed.
Drosselmayer is very much creepy, or just plain retarded in the way he talks.

Some other things that I found interesting:

- Why is Ahiru the only one wearing white in the dance class while all the others are dressed in blue? She's also the only one wearing pink shoes, contrary to white shoes worn by everyone else. Is it because she's the supposed protagonist of the story?

- Interesting that Ahiru is in white while the one she admires/feels inferior to aka Rue, wears a bolder red colored dress. White symbolises innocence, while red is a more extreme color. Nice way to portray the difference between the innocent, naive Ahiru and the daring, confident Rue.

- What's with those flappings in the screen at times? Looks like exactly when you go over the pages of a book...

The structure of the town intrigued me quite a bit. It did look a bit symmetrical, but probably I'm looking into this too much. During the opening moments (when the narrator was telling the story), one of the pictures was that of a circle with houses all around it, with the space inside covered by a 'D', probably implying Drosselmayer. If one considers all the events and setting to be a part of of Drosselmayer's story, then the picture kind of makes sense. Also kind of explains the flappings, since this is a part of story, aka written on a book. The town pretty much has an air of mystic around it anyway.

Leaving aside all the rambling, loved the ballet. The cat sensei was pretty hilarious as well. Interesting that Ahiru doesn't remember who the cat is initially. I'm guessing she either forgot coz of the scatterbrain she is, or there might be something deeper in it.

All in all, a wonderful episode with a lot of questions thrown around. Looking forward to the the next one.
TrequartistaApr 12, 2016 6:11 AM
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jun 8, 2016 10:46 PM

Nov 2010
Amazing, had so much fun watching it. let's do this.

SpectralWonder said:
The music...*gushes*

My first thoughts exactly. oh, wow .. so good.
Aug 17, 2016 4:38 AM

Apr 2013
Not bad for a start.

Tchaikovsky music = Eargasm
Dec 20, 2016 12:19 AM

Dec 2014
That was AMAZING!! Everything was perfect omg I'm so excited. The music, the AHHH!! It was all just so awesome. I don't even know the last time I was this excited to watch a new anime that wasn't a sequel.
Feb 5, 2017 12:43 PM

Aug 2014
Lovely start, I enjoyed the classical music.

Great Episode.
May 16, 2017 1:09 PM
Apr 2015
mytho is so pretty
Jun 7, 2017 8:31 PM

Nov 2011
Oh my, I've already fallen in love with the OP. It's great.

To those saying this was slow, it didn't seem slow/boring to me at all; it's sad that so many people are that impatient. Ahiru and her friends are pretty quirky, and the general atmosphere throughout the episode was very nice. I'm particularly curious if the old storyteller guy is actually villainous or if he's just senile.

Lovely start.
Jul 12, 2017 1:24 PM
Nov 2009
xriceball26 said:
VickyHarlot said:

And not in a good way.

Ahiru got on my nerves quite a lot in this ep as well; clumsy and ovrrreactes a lot, her voice doesnt help much either IMO. >.< But since the ep did end quite interesting, I'll stick to this series~

Yep, the voice is pretty annoying, as is pretty much her/its entire character.
Jul 17, 2017 2:40 PM

Jan 2015
Lucumo said:
Yep, the voice is pretty annoying, as is pretty much her/its entire character.

It may not be the most charming or comfy voice to listen to, but I find it fits a duck remarkably well.

This first episode really set the mood and showed enough of the world that I'm now intrigued to see more. I'd usually tick when the cat person made his entry, but it makes sense if characters of fiction can mingle with the normal world. That and the fact Ahiru doesn't seem to recognize the teacher makes me think there's more to it than a simple furry gimmick.

So Ahiru is a duck playing the wildcard in a scenario crafted by a barmy old man. Mute is the shattered prince who sealed the raven. Who's the raven then ? Fakir ? Rue ? Guess I'll have to continue to find out.
HapHazrDJul 17, 2017 2:47 PM
Nov 4, 2018 9:41 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
So I watched the first episode twice. Once dubbed and subbed since every time I was googling for episodes, the dub came up first. Not gonna lie, both are quite excellent and will probably end up rewatching this with sub on the back burner for later.

Honestly this looks way too great for an anime that came out in 2002. So expressive, the designs for everything from the character details like the eyelashes to the school outfits were stunningly iconic unique. Can't wait to hussle through this. A real treat.

Also Neko Sensei is king.
Dec 10, 2018 9:21 PM
Jul 2018
I'm getting Utena vibes, which I expected, but this show also reminds me a lot of Fruits Basket.

I'm excited to see more! :)
Jun 24, 2019 6:53 PM

Jan 2018
I love Ahiru's voice! It's so unique (as was the entire episode, for that matter). Really looking forward to seeing where this one goes, but it's sure off to a great start. Love the classical music implementations, too.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Princess Tutu Episode 15 Discussion

tainteddonut - Apr 30, 2008

20 by Fairytelly »»
Apr 21, 9:14 AM

Poll: » Princess Tutu Episode 13 Discussion

tainteddonut - Apr 14, 2008

47 by Fairytelly »»
Mar 26, 12:16 PM

Poll: » Princess Tutu Episode 38 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Awesmoe - Apr 3, 2008

143 by WisperG »»
Mar 21, 1:44 PM

Poll: » Princess Tutu Episode 12 Discussion

tainteddonut - Apr 13, 2008

47 by Fairytelly »»
Mar 10, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Princess Tutu Episode 10 Discussion

tainteddonut - Apr 12, 2008

20 by Fairytelly »»
Feb 25, 11:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.