Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 1, 2008 3:11 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well I figured I'd start up a topic about this obscure anime.

First off thanks to hanabiii for making the recommendation between this and Terra e (one of my current favorites), because of that I checked this one out. Definitely worth it and I even finished it in a day.

Regardless, it was definitely a good watch.
Apr 14, 2008 10:34 PM

Jan 2007
Just finished it - an absolutely wonderful series. Wish it was longer, of course, but for 11 episodes there's a really remarkable story being told.

I'm kind of glad they didn't go the "everything's happy" route, though I wasn't quite expecting that level of tragic. Pretty much everybody he cared about died, the planet is ravaged, the plants are even more of a problem than ever, they're running out of food, but...Thor is still fighting the good fight.

Damn.

That was really great.
Apr 16, 2008 1:15 AM

Feb 2008
Looks like I'm not alone on those thoughts, I just felt really bad for Tiz and couldn't understand why Thor was dumb enough to just ditch her for awhile there real quickly.

But yeah, this is definitely underated stuff. Needs more attention. =P
May 12, 2008 4:12 AM

Feb 2008
Finished it.

It was a great anime...But too far I think, to develop so much things only on 11 episodes.
This one was full of death, death death...I was criying after 15 minutes >. >
But the revelations was surprising, even if for the "Earth destiny", it was too easy to predict.
The little things that I thought it wasn't fair was the death of Tiz. Karim's death was detailed for nothing, instead of tiz was a very important character.Just 1 or 2 minutes for her?Too bad : (
And for Heiza, I feel so bad that he didn't have more time for him in this anime...It was so special to know his past just in the two last ep'.

But yeah, it was very good, I thought about a "no happy end", but here, it's too much for me XD
[] IN WATERMELONS WE TRUST (if you don't, just go BURN) []
May 20, 2008 10:27 PM

Apr 2008
I watched it in two days... ^.^

I really did like it though. It didn't seem that great when I first ehard about it, but when you actually start watching it gets really good. I would have wished the ending was a little bit happier, but I think it suited the whole thing so I liked it none the less.

AWESOME ANIME <3
Jun 10, 2008 7:18 AM

Aug 2007
Some people say the ending was dreadful because it was twisted and inconclusive, but I think Jyu-Oh-Sei couldn't have ended in a better way. I strongly dislike unrealistic anime where no one dies even though they're facing a crisis. Jyu-Oh-Sei got things right.
Jun 10, 2008 8:56 AM

Nov 2007
I thought it was really good!! XD
ないてる、ないてる、ないてる。。。
Jun 18, 2008 12:48 PM

Jan 2008
I loved this series! I think it was perfect. The sadness of this show is one of the reasons why I like it as much as I do. Plus it was so fast paced that it gripped you to your seat till the end. Plus Tiz died so. ha! I hated intensely disliked Tiz so I am personally happy that there was no romance between Thor and her. I believe that he never cared for her in a romantic way anyhow.
Jun 30, 2008 5:14 PM

Jan 2008
Really great show that suffers a few hiccups here and there.

Hiccup in this episode:

Tiz dying. Why do they always do the obligatory 'buncha characters gotta die in last episode' thing? What purpose did it serve in the end? No purpose at all. We didnt even see a scene of Zagi and Thor being friends which would have halfway justified killing her off like that. Would have been better and less typical of anime if she survived.

Well, would have been better if her character didnt exist, but anyway.

Really good show, I liked how it went through different genres. Nice Half Life vibe in this episode, lol.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 30, 2008 10:08 AM

Jan 2008
Not a bad series. Just finished it today. I have to say I was too thrilled with how it ended. The series in general is tragic, but what anime isn't lately? The storyline wasn't bad, but it did kind of reach a little. It was still decent enough that I'd consider recommending it.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Oct 5, 2008 3:04 PM

Jun 2008
puedjies said:
Some people say the ending was dreadful because it was twisted and inconclusive, but I think Jyu-Oh-Sei couldn't have ended in a better way. I strongly dislike unrealistic anime where no one dies even though they're facing a crisis. Jyu-Oh-Sei got things right.
Shishou said:
The sadness of this show is one of the reasons why I like it as much as I do. Plus it was so fast paced that it gripped you to your seat till the end. Plus Tiz died so. ha! I hated intensely disliked Tiz so I am personally happy that there was no romance between Thor and her. I believe that he never cared for her in a romantic way anyhow.

I totally agree with these two posts!

Tiz is one of my most hated anime females ever and I cheered when she died.
Dec 28, 2008 9:43 PM

Apr 2008
Lol, so even after all that the makers still couldn't let Tiz have her happy ending? Don't get me wrong I didn't dislike her and her death seemed a waste, but the plot was obviously against her from the start. I guess the 180 turn, with Thor saying they'll have a kid, makes more sense now, since it would have been a little too tragic if she, at least, didn't have that in the end.

Was thinking Third/Heiza just helping out at the end wouldn't be enough for his redemption, but using the gun :S But if he'd just let go maybe he thought Thor would climb down to get him...

The truth about the Earth was predicted but before, though I know why he did it, when Thor started mowing down the 'frozen' Jyuu Ohs, I was thinking WTH!?!? *_*

I understood his DNA adapting when he was in the womb to take on his surrogate Mother's appearance, but it didn't make much sense at the end, even if it was meant to be a homage to Third. Why didn't it adapt at other times?

Great concept, setting, art, animation, sound and VA performances all round. The first 5 episodes I would easily give 9/10 if not more. But the rushed story telling, character development (which became almost nonsenical at times), and generally less likeable post-time skip characters, can't be ignored, so an overall 8/10.

For the last time!!!!
Four ... Three ... Two ... One .... :D
nehnehnejiDec 28, 2008 9:57 PM
Feb 15, 2009 5:20 PM

Jun 2008
The ending was nice, BUT WHY TIZ DIED! It was just a meaningless death !!!
May 19, 2009 5:08 PM

Apr 2007
This really was like Terra e, but definitely wasn't as good. It had its ups and downs and could have ended a little better. What really annoyed me is that Zagi wasn't shown again. Actually the whole part with him and Tiz falling down the cliff was pretty much pointless. Most of the romance as well >.> at least it served as some nice comedy at times.

Anyway...that was still very entertaining (finished it in 1 day!).
Score; 8/10
MonochromeFeb 8, 2011 9:57 AM
Jun 3, 2009 1:14 PM

Apr 2009
4..3..2..1..How deep is your heart ? Deep inside the darkness...
Opening song is great !!

I finished it in 1 day too. I felt so sad for Tiz and Third at the end :/ Third's death makes sense but Tiz's death was so stupid. She threw away her life for wrong person...

Score:9/10
Jun 14, 2009 10:49 AM

Apr 2009
yeah, completly agree with that. she should have just let Zagi die. Didn't liked him anyway. Was glad when Karim died though.

Jul 8, 2009 1:54 AM
Jul 2008
Well written anime, that's all I can add to everyone's comments.
"To see with eyes unclouded by hate"

-Prince Ashitaka, "Princess Mononoke"
Jul 11, 2009 7:01 AM

Feb 2008
Ending was a little weird, but all-in-all a good anime.

8/10
Jul 27, 2009 5:18 PM

Jun 2008
Just finished watching this.
First off, I totally loved the opening!x3 Oh, and I fell in love with Third and hearing Shun's voice was nice too:>
I really loved this anime. Though I was getting a little upset when all those "I love Karim" and such things started. I mean, I didn't expect it in this kind of anime. But it ended, so that's kinda okay:D
And the last episodes... I felt like crying from the middle of 10 episode. It must have been frustrating for Thor to know all the truth, that his life was kinda an experiment and Third... Well, I thought he was Thor's friend or so, but when he showed his true self I was kinda disappointed and felt sorry for Thor. Though Third kinda got back to his old-but-not-real self, so I started liking him again.XD And since that point where Tiz died I just couldn't stop tears. Don't know why, it just affected me deeply.;-;
So anyways it was totally worth my time!x3
Aug 10, 2009 8:06 PM

May 2008
Too much deus ex machina, the whole thing was rushed... about 5 more well written episodes would have led to a less contrived ending.
Dec 5, 2009 3:39 AM

Sep 2008
Tiz T^T...
Dec 25, 2009 11:05 PM
Jan 2008
This need a few OVAs to finish the ending or atleast a insight of the future...... ending wasnt to my liking sigh
Feb 2, 2010 6:36 PM

Sep 2008
what is realistic and unrealistic? It depends on individual perception. I personally think that everyone could have live if they really want to. But it is their choice as they don't have much will to live. As for thor, he was lighten up because of Tiz's will for him.

I really like this anime even when its short. It kind of remind us the drama of life, and that most of everyone is caught up with it. The discovering of the truth and lies you've live up for. Who knows which of anything presented here on our earth life are truth and lies. I'm sure there are world more better for each and everyone.

Even so, I still like the ending. Having breaking up with the rule and the system to follow, it really feels freedom, and like the weight on the chest lifted, feels like they can really have a brand new better start of life. I believe the other characters who died could have liven up and join them but, hey, it's their chosen given role in the story.

Gave it an average rating... as I dislike mourning ending T_T now I gotta go find a cheery series to lift my spirits. :P
Live the life that you love, Love the life that you live...
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. - The Buddha
Mar 1, 2010 5:24 PM

Jun 2009
Could have more episodes... but was a good serie to watch. And poor Tiz...
Mar 26, 2010 5:49 PM

Aug 2009
WTH why kill of Tiz?
I felt for Third in the end...
And they could've atleast showed us a glimpse of Zagi! Too many deaths in this one. If Tiz hadn't died I might've given it a 10. Thor lost everything he cared for. DIdn't expect so much tragedy. Anyways, leaves us with this realistic feeling.

Excellent seried indeed. Very underrated. Needs more watchers.
Apr 8, 2010 10:37 PM

Oct 2009
Tiz.... :( What about the promise? Anyways good anime. I didn't like how Tiz died for Zagi, if she died another way without him, it would have been better. Oh well, I liked it.
May 5, 2010 3:18 AM

Apr 2010
lol
i didnt see that coming
Its better to have burned out than to have never really shined...
Jun 2, 2010 5:01 AM

Mar 2009
It was good, but not awesome. I like the fact that people actually do die for good in this anime. The somewhat tragic ending was good as well.
Jun 4, 2010 1:27 PM

Jul 2009
Well I have to say this show started off excellent for the first 5 episodes I would have given it a 9/10. I like how they kept the pacing going strong while still exploring and explaining the world. I thought the whole setting and animation was very good and the characters were mostly likable.

Then came the second half and time jump. Thor who was stubborn but smart but slowly beginning to understand the world turned into some generic lead being manipulated by everyone. I hated how they never had Thor bring up Third killing colin before the time leap he suspected him but arrrr. I found some of the motivations pretty weak particular in the end Thirds reasons for doing what he did were disappointing. Thor's jumping between Tiz and that other chick was annoying and stupid.

6.5/10 an ok distraction.
coyote256Aug 23, 2010 8:58 AM
Jun 18, 2010 10:28 AM
Sep 2009
I really enjoyed alot of this series but in the last 3 or 4 episodes it just got SUPER dumb.

Thor likes Karin
"Zagi" kills Karin so Thor tries to kill Zagi
But then we see its Third who killed Karin and Thor says 'oh well, no problem, now help me get off this spaceship'

And then the Tiz swapsy thing - and her dying for no reason other then they want a 'tragic' ending and the Earth getting destroyed for no reason other than to make Third kill himslef and......ugghhh

First 7 episodes = 8/10

But the last 4 make it a 6/10
Sep 11, 2010 3:33 AM

May 2008
Why would Tiz even sacrifice her life for Zagi? That was the most unnecessary thing ever.
Nov 4, 2010 5:54 PM

Jul 2009
That show had so much promise and they blew it all in the last few episodes. Tiz's death was completely pointless and Thor seeing her at the end was pure cheese. As Betnik said, they could have at least shown Thor and Zagi together afterward to make it meaningful.

The instant love of Karim was way too sudden to be believable. That at least needed an episode to provide more motivation there. It seemed like Karim was created only to show the ruthlessness of Third in his plan and provide motivation for Thor to fight Zagi. Both of those could have been done in a much more believable way. Plus Thor then changing his mind about a day after Karim's death and telling Tiz he would have children with her made it seem even more pointless.

Also, Third was sent down to make him the Beast King no matter what. Why do that if their goal was to see if he could survive the harsh environment? Why rig your own test? Also, why did they send his brother down with him. Maybe it was an extra test, but given they wanted to help him, having him killed with his parents would have provided greater motivation. Having him feel sorry about his brother also made him weaker early on.

puedjies said:
I strongly dislike unrealistic anime where no one dies even though they're facing a crisis. Jyu-Oh-Sei got things right.

I agree with this. The problem is most of the deaths weren't due to the crisis. If some of the main characters died throughout due to the environment, conflicts with other rings, rebellion within his ring, or whatever else that would have been realistic. That can be used as motivation for other main characters or to just show the harsh realities of the world. Here we have:

Tiz dying to stop a bullet from some random dude that popped up to kill Zagi. She didn't trust this guy until maybe a day ago. She hasn't shown the want or complete understanding of saving others throughout the show. Her death will be harder on Thor than Zagi's. Yet she still sacrifises herself? Maybe if Thor hadn't changed his mind on being with her, I could believe she'd recklessly do it for Thor. As is, I don't buy it though.

Third is about to get out with him and just happens to get knocked off and put in a situation to sacrafise himself. I guess they are showing how much he means to those around him, but another completely pointless death.

Bah, I'd almost rather watch a turd of a show than see things fall apart like that. 5/10
Dec 11, 2010 2:19 PM

Apr 2010
Nice watch for 11 episodes. Could have been so much better and longer. Loved the opening song. Everything was going perfectly until the ridiculous love at first site crap for karim. I liked karim's character but not in that context.

Also, Tiz's death has got to be the most pathetic and unnecessary death in anime history. She took a bullet for Zagi? FFS? Rewatch value = 0. Overall a 6/10. Could have easily been a 9/10 had the last 3/4 eps been better structured.
Jan 4, 2011 8:34 PM

Aug 2009
I was really sad about what happened to Tiz and Third :( But I think Zagi might have lived? So at least that's good. I really wish Tiz lived :(
Jan 31, 2011 3:27 AM

Jan 2010
It's one obscure anime indeed. It wasn't bad, though it's a diamond in the roughs.
I was hoping he'd be reunited with Rai again, but i guess i got my hopes up. Poor Rai.
I disliked it when they suddenly grew up, they look much cuter when they were young lol.
It seems the whole thing was rushed, especially with Tiz x Thor x Karin & not just suddenly popping in, could use more episodes, imo.

There's one thing i don't get though:
Mar 2, 2011 12:54 AM

Jan 2010
Because of the ending I had to give this a 10/10 It had a 8/10 until this final ep.

I'm happy they didnt do the everybody is happy thing for the ending but still I wish that they could have at least let Tiz live. I knew half way through they were going to kill her I just didn't know how. He finally told her exactly what she has been waiting to hear for 11 episodes then kill her.
A man who knows nothing and says something IS the dumbest person alive. A man who knows something and says nothing could possibly be the smartest person in the world -Unknown

Apr 12, 2011 4:12 AM

Nov 2009
I'm still angry that 'Third' turned out to be some lying bastard. I cannot forgive him. And I really liked him at the start of this anime too. :(
Plus he looked so much better as third..

It also felt like Thor turned stupid after the time skip, he believed anything anyone said to him in an instant. And randomly falls in love with a chick he just met, who tried to kill him cause she's jealous of his good looks? Wtf.

And I actually liked Tiz. I'm sad she died.

Oh wells.
Apr 25, 2011 12:43 PM

May 2010
You know what I think about this Anime? One giant question mark out of 10 is going to be my rating for this Anime
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 27, 2011 1:14 AM

Apr 2011
Huh? It already ended?

Kinda retarded. 4/10
Silent_ScreamSep 27, 2011 1:49 AM
Oct 11, 2011 12:38 AM

Sep 2010
Wow..... crappy ending.....
Oct 20, 2011 2:00 PM
May 2008
Rushed as all hell, but I can forgive it considering it was only eleven episodes. Others have stated before that there are quite a few hiccups here and there, but overall it was an enjoyable short epic.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Dec 29, 2011 9:36 PM

Feb 2009
I liked the idea they had for the ending. Last few episodes were pretty good, but overall the show probably could have been better if they stretched out the story in a 13 episode season.
Mar 21, 2012 3:50 AM

Jan 2012
underrated show... very beautifully crafted. I just couldn't stop watching. Wish it was longer though.

Also, how can you guys not like Tiz? Although she's a stage 5 clinger, her Nana Mizuki's voice alone should be enough to enslave any man. ^.^
Apr 11, 2012 1:15 PM
Sep 2011
Hmm... Like most I too finished it in one day... I think the action was a little to rushed... The gap between ages was also very rushed they could still let us know how Thor becomes so strong but nothing at first he is not really good but lucky then he is very strong... some things that made him so powerful could be showed .... Since I'm a fan of big happy end I didn't really like the end... I knew from the first that the end probably wouldn't be very happy but it was too tragic... About characters ---- I liked very much Third even if I knew that something wasn't okay with him from the first so I really cried when he died, the same about Zagi... About Tiz I can't say that I loved her character but I also didn't hate her, I didn't cry when she died but I wasn't happy either ... Karin for me was a meaningless character she wasn't important at all... And how I said at first I would for sure love a more happy end... but it still was a good anime from me 9/10

I almost forgot ... didn't anybody think when first saw Third's real face that he was an experiment like Thor ---- Also in the end Thor is alone so sad!!!!!!!! TTOTT
NekoBoyQApr 11, 2012 1:26 PM
Apr 15, 2012 9:42 PM
Mar 2012
ending fucken sucked i dint like how they killed tizz but i was a cool nime ahhhh tizz the promise she was gonna have a family with him!!!!
Apr 17, 2012 9:06 PM

May 2008
I am so glad i found this anime its amazing and yes so underrated.

Yeah the ending was not a happy one but since the first episode we known it was going to be tragic.

I am so sad about Third i didnt want him to kill himself to get Thor out of there plus i really feel for him for the first time since he looked so much hotter with silver haired.
I am glad Thor survived and took the look of Third since it was very fitting yet unexpected and Zagi even though he was very bad. I ma sorry about tiz.

Yeah i wish the ending was nicer but thats the theme like a Greek Tragedy.
Aug 12, 2012 7:56 AM

May 2010
One of the greatest anime i have ever watched T^T.. too bad only 11 episodes >.<

Oct 22, 2012 8:37 AM

Jul 2011
Great series! 8/10

This show definitely had flaws, especially coming to an end. Killing off Tiz served no purpose, and the way she died was unnecessary. Thor's sudden rush of 'love' to Karim seemed really off, and completely out of character. Perhaps more episodes would be required in order to fully develop the relationship, instead of just a blink of an eye. Killing off important characters (especially Third and Zagi) depressed me a little, but made me more attached to the show because their lifelong motives and actions came to a climatic/dramatic ending; i.e. suicide.

I do like the plot twists at the end, it was very well narrated and gave the show + characters a little more 'kick'. Though the end left many questions, I certainly felt empathy for the characters. Overall I thought the ending was satisfying and brought a peaceful end to Thor's story.
snackxmachineOct 22, 2012 8:41 AM
"It is the emptiness that make the stars bright."

"If you've known pain and hardship, it is easier to be kind to others."
Dec 22, 2012 11:52 PM
Jan 2012
Great show overall. I really liked the beginning. After the first few episodes I seriously thought this was going to be a 10/10 series. The second half was okay, but not as good in my opinion. I was rooting for Tiz so I wasn't a big fan of that other woman. Not sure how I feel about the mutating DNA thing anyway. The ending was pretty sad with Tiz and Third dying, but I guess I respect that the studio was going for the tragic ending. Third went out with a good deal of honor and Tiz died happy knowing that Thor loved her and wanted to have kids with her. I think I probably would have enjoyed the ending more if she survived and was in the last scene helping him rebuild. Also, great opening to the show. I loved the music in this anime.
Overall, 9/10. The last few episodes left a bit of a bad taste making me almost give it a 9/10, but a good deal of that is because I disliked Zagi and felt bad for Thor. Sometimes it's hard to recognize the difference between disliking characters and disliking the show itself. Whatever. 9/10.
Dec 22, 2012 11:53 PM
Jan 2012
Heaveninherarms said:
So he never had the surgery, so he'll die soon. And all the characters I don't care about survive. Lame.

Maybe his weird DNA will mutate and buy him some advantage.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» How is it shoujo ?

IsekaiNekko - Jul 12, 2021

7 by RobertBobert »»
Sep 3, 2023 12:32 PM

Poll: » Jyu Oh Sei Episode 10 Discussion

nehnehneji - Dec 28, 2008

18 by Akkuzii »»
Apr 13, 2023 12:12 AM

Poll: » Jyu Oh Sei Episode 1 Discussion

HaiAlwaysHungry - Dec 26, 2008

21 by Bunille »»
Dec 9, 2022 12:45 PM

Poll: » Jyu Oh Sei Episode 9 Discussion

20 by Gutzdeep42 »»
Jul 4, 2022 5:50 PM

Poll: » Jyu Oh Sei Episode 8 Discussion

26 by Gutzdeep42 »»
Jul 4, 2022 5:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.