Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 1, 2008 1:17 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This was intense! I wasn't expecting Sara to take action, but it's a nice thing she did.
Also, when they were discovering those kids hidden and taking them to the trucks, I had some Schindler's List vibes =P
Aug 11, 2008 9:53 PM

Dec 2007
This whole series has a very Nazi like vibe, the fact that the kids say they're just following orders and are doing what they're told to do.

#NBHNC
Feb 1, 2009 7:26 PM

Jan 2008
Sara had enough of rape - good for her! Shu speaking the truth of right and wrong is winning over his fellows.
Aug 4, 2009 11:10 AM

Dec 2008
Epic pre-op much? Sara kicked ass all right, glad she did something to change her situation.

Yeah, the kids at war trying to justify their actions isn't a 'good' thing, but at least one of them understood that this cycle will just repeat itself. Better now than never, although it did take him a while to notice.
「Godspeed You! Black Emperor」
Jan 15, 2010 8:52 AM

Apr 2009
Hakoria said:
Epic pre-op much?

Hell yes o.o That scene was so intense.

I have this feeling that Nabuca is going to die by the end of this series.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Feb 25, 2010 10:41 PM

Jul 2009
sara is quite lucky to have escaped that despicable ship of rape and violence, and im quite glad she escaped. Id really like to know what happened to her after she disapeared into the sandstorm.
I dont think that shu has yet grasped the idea that his very frontal defying of King Hamdo's orders are not going to work.
its nice to see that Nabuca is realizing that King Hamdo's ideas are wrong, though I dont think he has any as to how to escape short of fighting and ending the war.
I have a feeling that even if King Hamdo wins the war then none of the soldiers will be released to return to their homelands. I am completely unsure as to wether or not King Hamdo will win the war so this hypothesis may never be proven.
kg-san said:

Asu you're still a fragile flower... But its ok cause you're a beautiful flower!

花火花火花火 :D:D:D
Jul 28, 2010 10:20 AM
Aug 2008
Sara just kick off!! so intense!!
Dec 9, 2010 5:29 PM

Aug 2010
Sara escaped, but who knows if she will survive in the desert with no food, clothing, water, direction, etc. Very depressing aspect of the show. But I like that they haven't backed down from it.

Shu is a moron. Good intentions, but a moron. If I didn't know that this is just an anime, and the series is X episodes long, I'd just assume he and his corps are dead when they get back. It would be the way it is in a real fascist dictatorship, most likely.
Jan 15, 2011 11:46 PM

Sep 2008
Sara sure was pwnage in the beginning. I'm glad for what she did.
Shu was equally awesome though; such a fucked up world...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 6, 2011 9:47 PM

Feb 2008
The beginning part of this episode was crazy.
Feb 22, 2011 7:48 PM

Dec 2009
Oh, Sara. Sure, she will die. Just 'cos raped girls always die in anime, don't they?
Feb 28, 2011 12:19 AM

Jul 2007
Finally sara escapes that hell, good for her. Now she is on her own, hopefully she will survive.

May 10, 2011 11:42 PM

Apr 2009
Wow, that was an intense opening.
Aug 17, 2011 1:40 PM

May 2009
Call me dumb but I didn't understand what that little kid noticed O_o; He (or she?) looked at the bullet lying at the ground and seemed kind of disappointed... with Nabuca.
Sep 13, 2011 2:12 AM

Aug 2010
I guess that's it for Sara, it would be quite unrealistic for her to survive that environment with nothing, but a thin layer of clothing. Good for her I guess, she had a horrible time. I like Nabuca more and more. 4/5.
Dec 15, 2011 11:01 PM

Oct 2009
Sara, damn it, I just want to hug you.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 11, 2012 4:16 PM

Jun 2009
Thillygooth said:
Sara escaped, but who knows if she will survive in the desert with no food, clothing, water, direction, etc. Very depressing aspect of the show. But I like that they haven't backed down from it.

Survive or not, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it's better than staying in that ship. I highly doubt that that will be the last we see of her, or at least I hope so.

This episode was pure gold, that's really all there is to it. From how they showed those snap shots to when Nabuca saw that little kid, just a wide range of emotions and character growth without much dialogue. Great stuff.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 19, 2013 5:58 AM

May 2012
Yush you go girl! I do hope we'll see her later in the story again to than go back to earth or so to have a nice ending with her as well, although on the other hand I doubt that will happen.

The second part was amazing, he's still trying to do the right thing for everyone, but his effort has gone to waste...

Either way great episode, I wonder what's next!
Feb 4, 2013 9:15 PM

May 2010
Sara Ringwalt is fucking awesome.

That scene in the beginning was extraordinarily realistic
Feb 24, 2013 12:12 PM

Aug 2012
Everything before this episode really didn't impress me, but this episode was great.
The struggle between Sara and the soldier was definitely intense, but the true greatness came after her escape with the beautiful shots of cutting her moonlit hair.

Not to mention the conflicts between the village and Hellywood, and Nabuca's realization that what they were doing was simply what happened to him before.
It's basically a cycle.

A very artistic episode, and probably will be the standalone 'great' episode next to mostly 'fine' episodes.
May 20, 2013 4:03 PM
Aug 2011
The whole first half with Sara was done so well, it was just so powerful.

I had just finished saying in ep. 6 discussion that I hoping Sara would escape, and she did much sooner than I was expecting.

The little boy in the village was so adorable such a shame that they take kids away like that from their homes.
Jun 21, 2013 1:45 PM

Jul 2011
SARA!!!! Yes! Your freedom! Though you shouldn't run around the desert in your underwear...

Holy crap... when they kidnap the children I was so mad... and then when they bombed the village I was so, so sad...

And they will never know that their hopes are useless... there is no place to return to anymore. Nabuca will realize one day he's doing all this for nothing...
Jul 7, 2013 11:38 AM

Dec 2012
Even though I'm glad Sara was able to break free (and it was hella intense watching her beat that guy to death), it's still depressing to think that she wasn't a special case in the sense that even though she escaped, countless other women and girls are being rounded up from villages to undergo the same torture.

Hamdo is using everyone to continue an endless cycle of domination, I doubt there's even a war or enemy at this point. This episode reminded me of a certain episode from Kino's Journey as well.
Jul 15, 2013 3:48 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
insan3soldiern said:
Thillygooth said:

Survive or not, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it's better than staying in that ship. I highly doubt that that will be the last we see of her, or at least I hope so.

This episode was pure gold, that's really all there is to it. From how they showed those snap shots to when Nabuca saw that little kid, just a wide range of emotions and character growth without much dialogue. Great stuff.

This.

What an incredible series this is.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 21, 2013 3:29 PM

Jan 2011
what a fantastic episode, so many feels man
might have to make some changes in my top 10 if this anime keeps up the good stuff
Aug 23, 2013 9:48 PM

Jun 2013
I'm so happy that Sara took action and saved herself. The second half was pretty sad.
"The will to live is stronger than anything else"
Nov 25, 2013 1:43 PM

Nov 2009
Why did they destroy the springs of water if what they need is water and food . . . That didn't make any sense to me.

But anyways, I'm glad that despite how horrible what they did was, it brings Hellywood just that much closer to collapsing (more mouths to feed with same amount of food (i.e. not enough as it is) = food shortage.)
Jan 8, 2014 3:31 PM

Apr 2010
Let me just say this: You rape me, you better motherfucking kill me cause I'm comin for DAT ASS.

Jul 2, 2014 3:05 AM

Jan 2014
You go Sara! <3
Sep 13, 2014 4:22 AM

Jan 2013
Sara escapes, good for her. I can't handle such a cutie to get brutally raped.

Shu is amazing as always. The world is so unfair.
Nov 7, 2014 11:56 AM
Apr 2013
A bit repetitive
when is the plot going to advance?
Jan 26, 2015 3:49 PM

Mar 2014
What a great episode.
The beginning was intense and the end was meaningful.

I wonder what's going to happen to Shu now.
::End of Transmission::

Apr 22, 2015 8:27 PM

Jan 2013
That scene with the little boy and Nabuca in the village..... After 5 episodes of being indifferent and on the verge of dropping this show, that scene made me tear up. Good job whoever decided to actually use a little boy's voice for that character.

I love Nabuca, he's my favorite. Glad he's finally starting to awaken

Oct 1, 2016 4:32 AM
May 2015
Asunyan said:
sara is quite lucky to have escaped that despicable ship of rape and violence, and im quite glad she escaped. Id really like to know what happened to her after she disapeared into the sandstorm.
I dont think that shu has yet grasped the idea that his very frontal defying of King Hamdo's orders are not going to work.
its nice to see that Nabuca is realizing that King Hamdo's ideas are wrong, though I dont think he has any as to how to escape short of fighting and ending the war.
I have a feeling that even if King Hamdo wins the war then none of the soldiers will be released to return to their homelands. I am completely unsure as to wether or not King Hamdo will win the war so this hypothesis may never be proven.

They blew up the remains of the village, those kids have nowhere to return to, it's just lip service.
Nov 3, 2016 9:13 PM

Sep 2014
Good thing Sara escaped!

I get shu's intentions but he really is an idiot with the way he goes about his rescues plan lol.

1. Knock out that guard
2. unlock the vehicle where the kids are trapped
3. forget that there are hundreds of other soldiers around
4. get shot in the knee
5. wtf now???
Mar 15, 2017 12:35 AM

Feb 2016
When I was a kid, I saw the world as black and white. Good guys were heroes. Bad guys were villains because they are evil.

When I read up on the attocities that the Imperial Japanese army committed in China and Asia, I was thoroughly disgusted and outraged with the lack of justice for the perpetuators. The same goes with the Nazis. However, now anger has been subsided and replaced with calm acceptance. I still am furious at particular individuals who orchestrated the events and went above and beyond necessity because of their cruel nature. E.g. Unit 731 human experimentation on civilians, sword killing contests, using live people for bayonet practice, death marches, raping children and mothers in front of family, killing pregnant women. Nazi extermination of jews, discriminatory armbands for people of different ethnicities, kidnapping polish children, exterminating polish intelligentsia, euthanising gypsies and the deformed etc.

This gridlocked heirarchal power structure imposed on the military (even the free countries), how can you ever break the chain. At least in Germany they have a policy that a soldier is allowed to disobey their superiors if they think the action is a crime against humanity and insults human dignity.

The soldiers can't do anything without being punished. They have to obey any order in the name of duty. Kidnapping, genocides, even a scheduled rape of women for child soldier production.

The only people who can really change this are those close to the king who represent the higher echelons of power... How did they get there? By going through the dehumanisation process for the sake of power, misguided duty and a lack of apathy... Unfortunately, in this world, there doesn't seem to be an equivalent Roy Mustang.

No, on most occasions, King Hamdo is replaced by his direct crony who uses the people's suffering as justification and the cycle continues. *cough, cough Mugabe. Though sometimes, the people prevail and democracy is enforced and strengthened alongside a growing economy and middle class. It honestly is what I call the "western miracle".

I still like Shu as a character, he's an untainted flower adorning the chaotic wasteland of war.
Cloud_IllusionsMar 15, 2017 12:51 AM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Apr 9, 2017 3:27 AM

Dec 2010
Katsura95 said:
Sara, that's not how you're supposed to use a gun. Still pretty effective though, but she's lucky it didn't accidentally go off. I wonder why she didn't keep those clothes she stole..

Those clothes remind her of her time in Hellywood. I would think the same reason she cut her hair was to make her think she is a new person (free). Although she did lose some protection, she thinks its better than constantly being reminded that she is being kept alive by the same things she wanted to escape from.

Just my opinion

Also, since he is still a kid, he still fights for his own super ego. Oblivious to the fact that this is WAR. War is always unjustifiable and unfair. In fact, a fair war might even be contradictory.
booyah10Apr 9, 2017 3:43 AM
Jul 27, 2017 12:12 AM

Mar 2013
I'm re-watching this series after more than a decade and I could only remember a few things from this episode--most notably when Sara cut her hair.

That scene with her and that soldier was definitely intense. This episode kept me at the edge of my seat the entire time.

Also, I really like Nabucca. It's just hard to dislike him.
Aug 6, 2017 10:14 PM
Jul 2015
Shu should really have been executed by this point. The only thing keeping him alive is the fact that he's the main character, at this point. He caused an entire truckload of recruits to escape, seriously harming the war effort. How did the officer not have him shot on the spot?

Nov 1, 2017 8:36 AM
Nov 2015
So, it's looking like Sara is a comfort woman, and this anime is the only one ever to touch upon the subject of Korean comfort women for use by Japanese during WWII.
Nov 1, 2017 8:40 AM
Nov 2015
Wowowow, when Sara assaulted that guy, the animation was really taken up a notch. How the eyes move, all the little details, the speed, the brutality as well as the realness.

OH MY GOD SARA SUDDENLY BECOMES SO BADASSSSSS!!!! What is this!!!!!
Nov 1, 2017 8:44 AM
Nov 2015
AMERICAN GIRLLLLLL
Nov 1, 2017 8:59 AM
Nov 2015
I find the MC a pain. Reminds me of Renton from Eureka 7, MC that I know will do sth great but the process of watching them is just boring and annoying
Nov 1, 2017 12:48 PM

Dec 2015
@Sean_Nessman Shû is here to "counter"/"balance" the overall impression of this bleak world along its peoples way of thinking. He isn't promised to any grand scheme, sorry. In other words, his role is to be the "you can do it, don't despair" guy of the story, a role that would be hard to distribute to anyone actually living in this "parallel world".
I still thought that the confrontation of this young boy who grew up in the super safe environment of modern Japan with the reality of the world he visits was nice to have
Dec 3, 2017 7:20 PM

Dec 2016
I'm glad Sara managed to escape, but I can only imagine that the life she is facing out in the wasteland is just as bad as it was on Hellywood but we'll just have to wait and see. Maybe she'll become a big badass and come and save Shu and Lala Ru.

Also Shu has either got to escape soon, or convince Boo and Nabuca to help him or his constant outbursts and going against orders is going to get him tortured/killed
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Sep 7, 2018 1:28 AM

Aug 2015
This was a masterstroke episode. My justice boner is fully erect now that Sara has taken matters into her own hands.

I actually like that Shu is standing up for principles in the face of the system, although if he wasn't plot armored he would have no doubt be executed in this episode. The use of grey tinted still frames like WWII photographs was brilliant.
The depiction of the brutalities of war without laws is thoughtfully executed, particularly with Nabuca.
Oct 19, 2018 6:39 PM
Jul 2018
Poor Sara. That scene was pretty disgusting and intense. It felt so real and hurtful, that really made me shiver. :/
Also the scene in the wasteland. That was a really powerful scene as well.

Throughout the story you really can't help, but ask yourself, why such a mentally weak and ill lunatic with no self-control at all like Hamdo would every have someone's loyality and make a state work somehow. I mean, it's a dystopian dictatorship, but they follow his lead. I guess, because they don't know him and worship the idea of a leader. They live on a desert planet and need water (where do they get the water from? They do have some), but another leader, who isn't this mad, would try to do this as well without a "taking over the world"-plan.
But then again, I really ask that about real dictators and other people in a leader position as well. And still, it's difficult to get behind Abelia's loyality, because she knows him well and his madness.
Real leaders are and were mad too, but there were a monarchy behind them (and some were killed) or the whole military force was the biggest part of the problem, and the situations have been more complicated.
Hamdo is ... just ill. Not a god-like king-status, not a charismatic dictator with some self-control and not a respectable strategist.

Also I like Shu now, I think. He still has some unbelievable attitude, but he has good points like "a war doesn't stop because of a pendant" etc. too and more brain than I've thought he had. It's always nice, when the hotheaded people do have opinions too.
I like Nabuca, Sara and Boo best for now, I think. They feel real and their motivations are very reasonable and they are likeable.

Rei366 said:
@Sean_Nessman Shû is here to "counter"/"balance" the overall impression of this bleak world along its peoples way of thinking. He isn't promised to any grand scheme, sorry. In other words, his role is to be the "you can do it, don't despair" guy of the story, a role that would be hard to distribute to anyone actually living in this "parallel world".
I still thought that the confrontation of this young boy who grew up in the super safe environment of modern Japan with the reality of the world he visits was nice to have

I would expect from a child, growing up in so much comfort, to break easily after being tortured for the first time. He never got used to any kind of serious suffering, mentally or physically. But there he is, almost no bitterness (not about "that's wrong", I mean the "why does this happen to me"-bitterness) and despair. He is standing up two minutes later, continues fighting.
I don't dislike him or something, but here, I can't see where you are coming from. Yes, he is the contrast to that dark world, but I can't see a kid growing up in a modern world and experiencing so much suffering from now on, not giving in to some sort of bitterness, despair or hatred too.
removed-userOct 19, 2018 8:40 PM
Jan 18, 2019 7:27 PM

Oct 2013
Shu really signed up for some shit when he climbed that smokestack to see Lalaru, didn't he?

This episode honed in on the terrors and agonies of war from certain angles the series hitherto has yet to do and it was horrifying, to say the least. I think Shu is a dumbass, but I also think his purpose is to present a, perhaps, more grounded view of what's going on here, free from the conditioning and propaganda of Hellywood and its (I guess?) surrounding villages. A pendant won't stop a war, the cycle will never stop, et cetera, so on.

It's worth noting that after the Hellywood invasion left the village they proceeded to bomb it so there would be nothing left of it. This is strikingly important because the soldiers fight for mad king Hamdo with the hope they'll one day return to a village that has been utterly obliterated by the same people promising their eventual return. It's all a subterfuge, it's all madness.

The pre-OP scene with Sara was... humbling, to say the least, and drenched in multiple layers of melancholy. I don't think this is the end of Sara, but if her final scene is her escape and wandering, ridden of everything attached to her image in Hellywood, into the moonlit desert, that's... that's beautiful (in a sort of desolate way) by itself.

But I honestly feel bad for the soldier who was trying to rape her, too. This is a different world, a different setting. He didn't even seem particularly interested in the idea, but, just like the kidnappings, the pillages, and the deaths, orders are orders. The people here are certainly conditioned into accepting this is the way of things. Sara, coming from a different world, surely wasn't, so she threw a wrench into his worldview by murdering him. I don't suggest it wasn't... understandable, arguably justifiable, but I pity the soldier too. Everyone is a victim here.

This was a resoundingly powerful episode.
ZadionJan 18, 2019 7:58 PM

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Feb 4, 2019 3:25 PM
Feb 2019
Hell yes Sara! I hope she finds someone to help her out xd. Also, i think Shu will convince boo and nabuca too and will be a badass gang xd I hope Boo will be the leader. He is the one who deserves it !
Feb 26, 2019 9:38 AM

Sep 2014
Poor Sara, I feel really bad for her. The scene where she stood in front of the moon was great.

This whole series just has the right dystopian vibes only 90s anime have.

I wasnt really sure what to expect from this series, its niche enough to only get watched by people who know what they are up to, yet the scoring is rather subpar. But I havent been hit by this kind of bittersweet melancholic feeling in a long time.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Curious about the title….

Eykosca - Nov 28, 2023

1 by ErogakiPatches »»
Dec 1, 2023 1:38 AM

» How good would you consider the ending and characters? Would you guys consider this wasted potential?

_Arc4n1_ - Apr 25, 2021

10 by Eykosca »»
Nov 28, 2023 4:01 PM

» What a great main character!

Dd5 - Sep 3, 2022

10 by Dd5 »»
Oct 31, 2023 8:35 AM

Poll: » Now and Then, Here and There Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 2, 2008

185 by mal_user_2022 »»
Oct 1, 2023 2:57 PM

Poll: » Now and Then, Here and There Episode 1 Discussion

Kayro - Mar 31, 2008

49 by dspr »»
Aug 31, 2023 12:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.